Old 11-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
b_and_g
Human being with feelings

Default Problem with Soundtoys plugin :(

I'm having problems with Tremolator from Soundtoys. I can´t move any knobs freely, when I drag one it automatically snaps all the way to the left. However, I can move the knobs when I use Reapers generic UI but as you may know that is not convenient at all.

It is similar to when you have automation but there's no automation on the plug in parameters. In fact when I apply automation to any parameter i can actually move them by dragging the envelope

Thanks in advance.

PS: the output knob is the only one that works correctly which is really weird
b_and_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:19 PM   #2
EpicSounds

is this the latest version of soundtoys?
Old 11-13-2019, 05:23 PM   #3
moliere

massive longshot here, but are you using windows UI scaling or reaper scaling at all? I had issues with knobs (but not sliders) when using scaling at one point.
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #4
b_and_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
is this the latest version of soundtoys?
Yes. I installed it a few days ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliere View Post
massive longshot here, but are you using windows UI scaling or reaper scaling at all? I had issues with knobs (but not sliders) when using scaling at one point.
Not that I'm aware of. But Soundtoys replied an email suggesting something along those lines (they suggested something about high dpi) but no luck either.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:14 AM   #5
uksnowy

I use the same plugin all the time in my projects. I used it this morning actually. I have not experienced this with Soundtoys. I have with Izotope.

Im running PC with WIN 7.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:13 AM   #6
Softsynth

No problems here on 64bit 5.985 (latest Reaper).

Are you using 32 or 64?
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:20 AM   #7
Joe90

You could try turning off midi input to the plugin (it's hidden in a submenu in the i/o dialog for the plugin)

I've had issues like this and it turned out it was because the offending plugin was on a VSTi track, and the midi signal was being passed through and triggering the knobs.

Just a thought.
Joe90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:09 AM   #8
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
You could try turning off midi input to the plugin (it's hidden in a submenu in the i/o dialog for the plugin)

I've had issues like this and it turned out it was because the offending plugin was on a VSTi track, and the midi signal was being passed through and triggering the knobs.

Just a thought.
Yeah, I had to do this with Primal Tap as MIDI keyboard keys were triggering changes in Primal Tap, very odd. I nearly suggested that first but I doubt it here, worth a try though.

If it works you can save this state as the default preset to stop further issues from this odd MIDI triggering.

I was also going to suggest failing mouse batteries allowing you to accidentally double trigger a return to the default position (this has happened to me in the past with iffy batteries), however that wouldn't account for rotary controls returning all the way to the left rather than centre.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:51 AM   #9
b_and_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
No problems here on 64bit 5.985 (latest Reaper).

Are you using 32 or 64?
Same as you. Latest version and 64bit

Quote:

Just a thought.
I already tried this and it kinda worked? I was able to move the input and output knobs normally, but only those. Also when I did this sometimes reaper crashed so maybe it's just my computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Yeah, I had to do this with Primal Tap as MIDI keyboard keys were triggering changes in Primal Tap, very odd. I nearly suggested that first but I doubt it here, worth a try though.

If it works you can save this state as the default preset to stop further issues from this odd MIDI triggering.

I was also going to suggest failing mouse batteries allowing you to accidentally double trigger a return to the default position (this has happened to me in the past with iffy batteries), however that wouldn't account for rotary controls returning all the way to the left rather than centre.
Unfortunately I already tried with another mouse and the problem persisted. I'll try later today with other Soundtoys plugins to see if this happens in the others as well.

I'm planning to change to a new computer soon so...

Anyways thanks everyone for the help!
Old 11-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #10
b_and_g

I just got Soundtoys 5, installed it and now everything works fine including Tremolator. Turns out a big ol uninstall and install did the trick
Old 11-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #11
airon

That was weird. Glad you got it fixed. They're damn fine plugins.
airon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:47 AM   #12
colonelporridge

I have the same problem but a reinstall of the plugin did not seem to work for me. I’m stumped! As there were no changes to my system other than reaper updates and sound toys updates
colonelporridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #13
colonelporridge

I really want to get soundtoys 5 but i am afraid to bite the bullet with the current issue
Old 12-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #14
lunker

Me too. I've had my eye on Echo Boy, Filter Freak, and Little Alter Boy for a while.

I downloaded the demo with hopes of purchasing during the Black Friday sale. But I had some of the GUI issues described here, and decided to spend my $$$ elsewhere.

Probably for the best, since I have plenty of delays and filters.
lunker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:49 PM   #15
Joe90

Have you guys tried my suggestion above? Disabling midi input to the plugin?
Old 12-06-2019, 12:06 AM   #16
colonelporridge

Quote:
Have you guys tried my suggestion above? Disabling midi input to the plugin?
i disabled the midi input to the track is that what you mean? Also some knobs will work and others will not, for example on one attempt the input knob on crystalizer was stuck but on another try it worked fine, while other did not.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:18 AM   #17
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelporridge View Post
i disabled the midi input to the track is that what you mean? Also some knobs will work and others will not, for example on one attempt the input knob on crystalizer was stuck but on another try it worked fine, while other did not.
Disable midi input to the PLUGIN. As I mentioned above, it's in a submenu behind the i/o button in the plugin routing settings (will say something like '2 in 2 out').
Old 12-06-2019, 02:23 AM   #18
tonybeepbeep

I have a similar issue on v6.0 with a newly installed Waves plugin that is doing the same with the knobs. Will try to disable MIDI input and see if that helps.
tonybeepbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:37 PM   #19
tonybeepbeep

Quote:
Disable midi input to the PLUGIN. As I mentioned above, it's in a submenu behind the i/o button in the plugin routing settings (will say something like '2 in 2 out').
Oh you absolute star Joe90. I owe you a pint, or a free Waves plugin, whatever comes first
tonybeepbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:26 AM   #20
colonelporridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybeepbeep View Post
Oh you absolute star Joe90. I owe you a pint, or a free Waves plugin, whatever comes first
Trying this has not worked for me, i have disabled the midi input to the plugin and all other midi to the channel, i have done a reinstall of the plugin. no joy and no response from soundtoys as of yet. I mean i can use the plugin with no UI but i spent a great deal of time learning the UI of echoboy etc sooo im not too thrilled.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:33 AM   #21
colonelporridge

What is really strange is thast the behaviour is not consistent. e.g crytalizer: all the knobs slam left or right as shown in the top part of the thread but the input knob works fine. Then when i try again its the output knob that is working fine.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:36 AM   #22
vsicurella

Hey all! Sorry I didn't drop by sooner. This is 100% a Soundtoys bug and we're still looking into what's triggering this.

We've only gotten it to happen in-house once so far, and have been trying to trigger it again to find some more information about it. It happens primarily on Windows machines, but we have just a couple of reports on macOS.

Anyone who is experiencing this can roll back to Soundtoys 5.3.0 for now. I'd normally say to reach out to support, but we're still heavily in the trenches of Black Friday support.

Here's a link to the full bundle for 5.3.0:https://storage.googleapis.com/sound...14027r2_64.exe

We don't have a page to display all older versions right now, so if you don't have the full bundle, just replace "Soundtoys5_5.3.0[...]" with the plugin name like "Decapitator5_5.3.0[...]" or "LittleAlterBoy5_5.3.0[...]".

If you're on Mac, just delete "_64" and change ".exe" to ".dmg".

I hope this helps! The next update we release (which should be soon) should fix this bug. I'll try to keep my eyes on this thread as best as I can.
vsicurella is offline   Reply With Quote