Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 11-22-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
read
Human being with feelings

Default Isn't the design of the Reaper 6 kinda more dark?

Isn't the design of the Reaper 6 kinda more dark than the default Reaper 5?

i like the default of Reaper 5 a lot and maybe it gets a while before i get used to the design of reaper 6.

but whats ur opinion?

Reaper 6 is too dark?
read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #2
d. gauss

i find it very dark. but i find v5 dark as well. fwiw, i still use the v1 theme, as i can see it from across the room.
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #3
Lokasenna

The V6 theme has been in testing for a few months, and the darkness + level of contrast have been brought up many times.

White Tie feels that it's good as-is and isn't planning to make any significant changes at this point.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:33 PM   #4
Joe90

I prefer the lighter look too.

You can still run the Reaper 6 with the 5.0 theme, or whatever theme you prefer. My current favourite is actually your default nitpicky theme Lokasenna. I've modded it to have some extra coloured MCP layout options with coloured faders and track controls, and some cubendo style buttons from another theme -

https://stash.reaper.fm/37558/Defaul...d%20faders.png

As you're here Lokasenna - are you still using default nitpicky too? If so, do you have any plans to update it to reflect any of the new theming tweaks in 6.0, or making a 'default 6.0 nitpicky' with this 5.0 palette? There are more fonts slots available now for example. I also really like the indented tracks in the MCP. I've always wished that parent and child tracks were much more clearly distinguished in the mixer, not just in the default theme, but in pretty much every theme I've tried. It's actually one of the reasons I've modded yours to have extra colour options, I use blue for folder tracks.

Anyway, my thanks to you and White Tie for the default nitpicky theme, I've tried many others but I always come back to this one.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:15 PM   #5
pipelineaudio
Mortal

It funny that it was white tie who taught me the danger of too similar of colors being used close to each other, and now we have a mute that is scarcely any different than an unmuted item or track

I am amazed at the potential of the new themes, but quite frightened of it as it exist at the moment and anticipate the carnage of the noobs to come.

I could be 100% wrong though as so much UI stuff across the net is really subtle now. We shall see. But I hope there will be a default nitpicky very soon after release!
Old 11-22-2019, 10:13 PM   #6
Karol Grablevski

funny another thing - with all respect to White Tie but hes behavior sometimes strange on making decision. And Cockos Team itself..
Reaper so powerful and all of us know this. But more simple users will never come because UI it's ugly..
I was hoping they will invest some money to UI but not one guy experimenting with it..

Look at bitwig. simple and clear and same with UI menu. People still love with eyes..
Yes all person here don't mine nothing but because we are on this forum and we love reaper.
What about other 90% person? I think if Reaper would make a normal UI finally more people would be interested and buy license. And then Reaper maybe become more and more better.
I know Justin isn't making it for money but.. Waiting for Final Reaper 6.
Or maybe 7..
Karol Grablevski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:38 AM   #7
read

i like a lot the design of Reaper 5.

just that reaper 6 is kinda more darkish. but anyway just a comment.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:49 AM   #8
Xaviez

And yet, to others like me, the new default v6 theme isnít dark enough
Thereís no pleasing everyone.
Xaviez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:11 AM   #9
D Rocks

Exactly.. cant please everyone.
Thats like politics... you go for the majority vote.

And my vote is to the dark theme
Old 11-23-2019, 06:14 AM   #10
USR

Another vote to the dark theme. I've been using Pet's v5 Default Dark theme which I made even darker by myself. To be honest, I'd like to keep using it if there isn't an obvious limitation or disadvantage, compared to the new v6 theme.
USR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:18 AM   #11
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by USR View Post
obvious limitation or disadvantage
I consider the fact that I basically can't see it without cranking the brightness on my monitor a pretty big limitation, but that's me.

This isn't really up for debate or voting anyway though; the theme is what it is, and it's not changing.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:41 AM   #12
SmajjL

If REAPER6 is not better/improoved than https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php?ver=0x then i'm Donald Duck.
So much can be customized, I say thank you, others may say potato.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:31 AM   #13
SubbaseDnB

i like the new theme,but it need more contrast in different places,but remember the theme isent final yet
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:34 AM   #14
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
i like the new theme,but it need more contrast in different places,but remember the theme isent final yet
WT says it is, mostly. He's been working on the MIDI editor and the config script to get them tidied up.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:02 AM   #15
Vasily

I guess if you prefer Reaper's v5 default skin, you would be able to select it in v6 as well. Reaper v5 still has a v4 theme out of box, as well as old v1, hehe. and of course, you're able to make a custom theme.

as I side note, Logic Pro is dark since v10, Cubase is dark since v8 (and v10 is almost black), Studio One since V3 is dark by default as well. so nothing uncommon here.
Vasily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:11 AM   #16
read

maybe there should be a poll to vote if we need the default skin less dark

its what most people will use anyway
Old 11-23-2019, 08:26 AM   #17
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by read View Post
maybe there should be a poll to vote if we need the default skin less dark

its what most people will use anyway
White Tie has confirmed that this theme is in it's final stages so I don't really see much point in a poll. You could request to him to make a second lighter version of it I suppose.

If you like everything else about the 6.0 theme but you just want it lighter, you could just use the theme tweaker and lighten the various elements yourself, or use the 5.0 theme, or one of the 10 billion other themes on the stash
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:29 AM   #18
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post

This isn't really up for debate or voting anyway though; the theme is what it is, and it's not changing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90
White Tie has confirmed that this theme is in it's final stages so I don't really see much point in a poll.
Then I'm out I guess...

Is there are reason that tool bars with text icons are impossible to tell when rolled over or even where one button begins and another ends? My initial reaction is (for several reasons), this theme is unusable for me so I guess I'm stuck on old ones until someone fixes some of these issues with a custom theme. Also what's the deal with the terrible representation of the master track in TCP? This new so subtle I can't see things is frustrating.

I guess I'll never use the default theme - Which is disappointing because I thought the default themes were always pretty usable out of the box until this one.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-23-2019 at 11:57 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #19
rluka

I like it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LRH...ew?usp=sharing
Ron L, i7 laptop x64, Win7pro/x64(dual boot), 7200rpm hd, 2 ext. hd, Scarlett 2i4, Event 20/20 audio monitors, 1 ext. video monitor, Novation Launch Control XL, REAPER x64, Sonar Platinum http://www.ronlukawitski.com
rluka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:16 PM   #20
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Then I'm out I guess...

Is there are reason that tool bars with text icons are impossible to tell when rolled over or even where one button begins and another ends? My initial reaction is (for several reasons), this theme is unusable for me so I guess I'm stuck on old ones until someone fixes some of these issues with a custom theme. Also what's the deal with the terrible representation of the master track in TCP? This new so subtle I can't see things is frustrating.

I guess I'll never use the default theme - Which is disappointing because I thought the default themes were always pretty usable out of the box until this one.
I would have to agree.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:10 PM   #21
SmajjL

Try the 7-zip-unpack blabla-thing & borrow the toolbar_blank.png off D5 or any theme that works like you prefer.
D6 has its own also so it is not the one in REAPER>Data>Toolbar_Icons.

The Text of the toolbar seems to be Volume/Pan Label Font and the Colo(u)r is Toolbar Button Text in Theme Tweaker.

Guess one can just grab all the toolbar icons into a temp folder and Batch Process with BIMP for GIMP or something like that or just use what ever fav icons has worked before, REAPER is still REAPER.

Info is good, still RC

Speaking for myself, I prefer darker so colors pop easier and one can get away with smaller if the contrast is so great.

Last edited by SmajjL; 11-23-2019 at 10:40 PM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:39 PM   #22
Not_Here

I'm out, if that's what I would have to try and look at just to use V6.

Looks like a smear of charcoal has been rubbed on some dark gray consruction paper, no sense of any texture or depth.. Is this the "heroin chic" phase for Reaper?

Will I be able to use the same theme I'm using now in V5?
Old 11-23-2019, 10:52 PM   #23
Edgemeal

What sucks is the v6 installer overwrites the v5 toolbar icons, so even if you don't want to use the v6 theme the toolbar icons get changed.

The v6 installer should have an option to allow skipping the v6 theme and v6 icons for those who don't want it.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:07 PM   #24
SmajjL

My smiley's would be Very compromised if I could not use the Paulie theme all of a sudden that i'm used to or play/try all the fun ideas of the stash.
Even Paulie I make changes to, how should Paulie know what my Exact thing/taste is?

Think i've heard all kinds of "opinions" for years now, never ending story even if you are right or wrong, never ends.. always something and some are gentle whines, other, not so gentle..

But if something Specific (>there it is!<) is un-readeable/broken WT might wanna know about it? if the theme as a whole is not your taste, well he might go pffft!

Last edited by SmajjL; 11-23-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:27 PM   #25
SmajjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
What sucks is the v6 installer overwrites the v5 toolbar icons
But if you start personalize/tweak stuff then you unpack it? might as well rename so it won't get replaced on the next install.
That would work I hope?

The fallback thing should kick-in only if the main theme folder is missing something or, something is up.
Anyway, i'm not WT.

Last edited by SmajjL; 11-23-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:26 AM   #26
rst

There are many excellent ideas in v6 theme and I feel sorry to criticize seeing how much work it was dedicated. But imo implementation is not good. It is simply too much work for single person (no matter how genius and hard working) to take care about every aspect. Many things look logical and well thought, but overall result is difficult to use.

For me transition from 3 to 4 and especially from 4 to 5 was easy, but now from 5 to 6 - not so much. I am fine with darker colors, but problem is not in darkness.
When working longer, general feel is like looking into those "trick of the eye" pictures. Something with shape, contrast, colors makes elements to look moving and not properly aligned. Switching back to v5 theme is refreshing where everything feels stable in its place again.

Unfortunately in v5 theme in 6.0RC some icons do not look the same as in original v5 Reaper.
rst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:13 AM   #27
Softsynth

RST if you have the screen space try running various parts of the GUI at 150%. I can do this as I currently have the mixer on a second screen and the extra width is very welcome given the relatively high dpi (very small 21:9 screen not 4k).

For me this is the best the GUI has looked so far. It is evident that some people are having problems though, and I guess this won't all be down to problems with people's eyes, monitor quality, monitor calibration, room light levels or viewing distances.

I could see when using smaller (regular) GUI size element in combination with certain coloured track combinations that the text looked a little soft or washed out.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:28 AM   #28
SmajjL

The Martian movie NASA people and Star Trek can't be all wrong.
*Me hides*
Old 11-24-2019, 11:29 AM   #29
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
But if you start personalize/tweak stuff then you unpack it? might as well rename so it won't get replaced on the next install.
That would work I hope?
Ya that'll work, awhile back I made an auto-portable-installer for REAPER where I just drag and drop and its installed and ready to use in ~4 seconds , updated the app so it restores my v5 toolbar icons as well now.
I was actually liking the new v6 theme (even though toolbar icons seem too dark) and even used theme tweaker for first time to make rest of REAPER look similar, but get annoying white flashes on screen when opening windows, although if opened in docker they look fine. Fingers crossed they fix this before v6 is actually released!
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:35 PM   #30
Icchan

Personally I would like it, if REAPER came shipped with 2 themes, normal and the "dark mode" one. I would choose the dark one over everything else, assuming that ALL window and dialog backgrounds were according to that dark theme and no sudden "open media browser and get your eyes burned into your skull!" moments came... of course, can't do much for the VST-plugins, but would do much over the current one
Old 11-25-2019, 02:28 AM   #31
Vagelis

Sorry but I donít like it and iím Not going to use it as it is now, very dark and incomplete. Paulie, Rado and logic v3 are way better...So I fear this is not good for Cockos and new users since itís not useful.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:04 AM   #32
heda

most software I know, they are all evolving towards the dark side.
There must be a reason.
but at least REAPER will allow you to use any theme you want, yet there are still some elements that need better dark mode support
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:56 AM   #33
D Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Sorry but I donít like it and iím Not going to use it as it is now, very dark and incomplete. Paulie, Rado and logic v3 are way better...So I fear this is not good for Cockos and new users since itís not useful.
Depends for who, as usual.

White themes are eyes destroying to me while dark ones are fine.
Everything software that offers a dark theme I switch it on.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:16 AM   #34
SmajjL

I wonder if the forum6 will get dark also, was happy when YouTube added that option, heck, even Microsoft added some dark love, as an option.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:06 AM   #35
jrengmusic

Nah..it's still way brighter than my theme. It's fine.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:13 PM   #36
Vagalume

Isn't the design of the Reaper 6 kinda more dark?
Reaper 6 is too dark?
Nope, it needs to be even darker.

PS. Poor WT ...

Last edited by Vagalume; 11-25-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #37
mathurgood

I really love the Default 6 theme, so thanks to WT for all his hard work.

It's similar to my mod of Default 5 called "Tangier" (because of the orange icons). Screenshots attached. It's a simple mod that darkens the tracks/dialogue boxes and removes tinting from both TCP and MCP. The palette for media items is stolen from Logic, which I don't use but like for its overall aesthetic.

I have to use a dark theme because I have poor eyesight and work in a darkened room!
Attached Images
File Type: png tangier_screenshot01.png (32.0 KB, 173 views)
File Type: png tangier_screenshot02.png (39.2 KB, 127 views)
File Type: png tangier_screenshot03.png (20.1 KB, 121 views)
mathurgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:47 PM   #38
Not_Here

so, because fewer than ten people like simple and boring dark themes it makes it alright, and the rest of us who enjoy a theme that actually has some depth and texture, and doesn't look like a 2d sketch from a 12 y/o, have to just accept it?! We can't point out that its going to discourage a large # of us from updating and perhaps discourage new users who look at V6 when choosing a DAW and think that it's functionality is related to its terrible aesthetics. This theme for V6 is NOT a good looking dark theme just because its dark. I run dark themes on many of my screens. All of them regardless of the creators or brands look better than this attempt. IMHO YMMV

Definitely a deal breaker for me and any that ask for my recommendations. sucks too, cuz I was so looking forward to V6 being something amazing and new.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:56 AM   #39
SmajjL

I just have a problem staring at the sun & "gangstah Interrogation" bright 100% white light in my eye for to long, that's all.
D5-Forum post BG is not 100% white and if you fill it with text of lovelyness, it gets darker, amazing.

My taste is not limited to One thing, I like Amiga beige also for ex and was not the Commodore64 screen blue? ah-ha!

So if REAPER the (DAW) gets some feature you just love, you won't upgrade because of a Theme, that can be themed?

Oh-maaaAaan...

And your avatar thing say sun-sun-sun, so it this about reflection problem on your screen and White can cure it?

Last edited by SmajjL; 11-26-2019 at 03:06 AM.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:57 AM   #40
Vagalume

I am curious, How do you know if 10 people like the darker theme? from this thread?
how many are "the rest of us"? let's invent .. 11? Are there 21 users of Reaper?

Frankly I don't see the problem because there are darker versions of default 5, so someone will possibly upload a darker version if it is not dark enough, and the opposite.

... Anyway I am not sure if the default reaper themes are the most used ones.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote