Old 12-06-2019, 04:03 PM   #1
vincenam
Human being with feelings

Default Workflow

Hi there,

New to the forum but I do have a month or so experience of Reaper.

I'm engineering and producing our bands first album and I wanted to check my understanding of a sensible workflow for this.

The genre is Blues, it'll be streamed online and released on CD and I'd like to use Reaper for both mixing and mastering.

So here goes with what I think the workflow should be:-

1. Record all the instruments and aim for -18db levels but not peak above -12db
2. Add suitable FX/EQ etc and mix the tracks looking for between -12db and -6db on the master buss
3. Export as a WAV file 48k sample rate / 24 bit
4. Import the WAV file into Reaper, don't put any effects on the track, only on the master buss. I'm probably looking at Comp, EQ then Limiter. Looking to achieve -14 LUFs for streaming.
5. Export as a WAV file 48k sample rate / 24 bit (streaming master)
6. Master another version heading for around -9 or -10 LUFs for CD.
7. Export as a WAV file 48k sample rate / 24 bit (CD master)
8. Use a dithering tool to change to 44.1K and 16 bit for CD

How does this sound?

What are the benefits of exporting the mixed tracks as WAV and re-importing to master?

Why not mix the tracks one week then take a break and master by adding the FX to the master buss without the exporting and importing WAV step?

From what I've seen I need between -4db and -6db on the limiter to achieve -14 LUFs, any advice on how to get to -9 or -10 LUFs other than just increasing the limiter threshold?

Any other advice?

Cheers Alan.
vincenam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:32 PM   #2
beingmf

Ad 3 and 4: I'd put the buss compressor, and if needed EQ, on the master earlier, read: mix into it when you're halfway finished. Why change the feel and the colour of the mix after the fact?

6, 7 and 8 is one single job for me. Why export and re-open only to apply the dither algo in a dedicated session? It's for CD 16bit anyway.

Regarding achieving -9/-10 LUFS: it's better (and I've done it often enough) to use a chain of 2 or 3 limiters/clippers/compressors instead of lowering the final limiter's threshold.
It all depends on the tools you have at your disposal and how they react with the specific source material.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:56 PM   #3
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenam View Post
Hi there,

I'm engineering and producing our bands first album and I wanted to check my understanding of a sensible workflow for this.

The genre is Blues, it'll be streamed online and released on CD and I'd like to use Reaper for both mixing and mastering.

2. Add suitable FX/EQ etc and mix the tracks looking for between -12db and -6db on the master buss
4. Import the WAV file into Reaper, don't put any effects on the track, only on the master buss. I'm probably looking at Comp, EQ then Limiter. Looking to achieve -14 LUFs for streaming.

How does this sound?

What are the benefits of exporting the mixed tracks as WAV and re-importing to master?

Why not mix the tracks one week then take a break and master by adding the FX to the master buss without the exporting and importing WAV step?

From what I've seen I need between -4db and -6db on the limiter to achieve -14 LUFs, any advice on how to get to -9 or -10 LUFs other than just increasing the limiter threshold?

Any other advice?

Cheers Alan.
I go to -4 DB all the time. But I also listen to my plugins and try different ranges to see if they change because some are looking for - 18 but not many make a difference that I have seen. Just always keep the master under 0 DB with some type of limiter when you go to render. I keep the lufs between 12 and 13. All of my renders are in MP3 192 up until the very end where I need to send it somewhere then yes wav format.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:56 AM   #4
ChrisBlue

Just asking for my own learning, what is happening at 3. Export as a WAV file 48k sample rate / 24 bit. Where is this being exported to and why. I've only done some recording so far and so would like to get an idea of what's coming next. Thanks
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #5
vincenam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlue View Post
Just asking for my own learning, what is happening at 3. Export as a WAV file 48k sample rate / 24 bit. Where is this being exported to and why. I've only done some recording so far and so would like to get an idea of what's coming next. Thanks
The mixed file is exported as a WAV file to the PC and then re=imported back into Reaper to perform mastering.

I've read quite a few posts that recommend this step and I think the benefit is to prevent the temptation to mix and master at the same time but if you're mastering in Reaper aswell then I guess this can be missed out and once the track is mixed stick your FX on the master buss to master it.
vincenam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #6
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenam View Post
Hi there,

How does this sound?

Any other advice?

Cheers Alan.
Are you recording an album or making a study of signal levels?!

1. Record your music without distorting it.
2. Mix it to sound like what you hear in your head. Don't distort the mixing board output. This is the biggest part here - the mix.
3. Render your final mix when it sounds finished. Finishing a mix is important!
4. Wait... It's not finished? And to the point where you're loading up all kinds of compression, eq, and limiting? Go back to step 2 and finish the thing.
5. See step 3.
6. You can do this if you want the CD version boosted to sit next to other volume war CDs. It's still a thing. The good news is your 24 bit master will be unmolested for more discerning listeners.
7. Yes, do that 'volume war' work at 24 bit and the native sample rate of the mix.
8. You'll want to use sample rate conversion to convert 48k to 44.1k of course. You can add dither noise before reducing the bit depth to 16 bit if you think it helps. If you're already going volume war though... probably not so much super low level content left and maybe don't want to just add noise.

Good final release formats to produce:
24 bit native sample rate of the recording master. (96k, 48k, or 44.1k if that's how it was recorded and mixed.)
Making a surround mix too? Same deal.

Make a 24 bit 44.1k downsampled stereo master.

Make a 16 bit 44.1k stereo CD master.

Give the 24/44.1 master to the online stores and streaming services. The CD master should be obvious. Let the audiophile customers download the 24 bit full masters (stereo and surround). Either host the HD files in a cloud account yourself and give download links with the SD copies in the stores or seek out the audiophile HD and surround sites. That covers everyone and gives them what they expect from the formats.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote