Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 12-07-2019, 11:59 PM   #1
Tony Nutella
Human being with feelings

Default Pan Law adjustment is applied with each single routing step..?

Hi everyone. Reaper 6.01.

One thing I noticed today is that my vocal track is too quiet in the Master. I lost 12 dB, I had like -6 on the track and nearly -18 on the master. I checked everything, all compressor plugins, all faders, item gain, but my 12 dB were completely lost somewhere.

So... The answer is in the work of pan law. I have a common -3 dB attenuation set in the project. And I know that pan law works in the way it makes a mono signal 3 dB more quiet then hard-panned stereo signal. And I have my mono vocals routed in the Lead folder(1), that goes into Vocals folder(2), that is sent to Mix track(3) which goes to the Master(4).

4 x (-3) = -12
Reaper attenuates mono tracks each time they are sent somewhere and I am not drunk.

I did a little test with a tone generator and some tracks, sent each to the next one. Attaching a picture. That is not right at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (46.9 KB, 16 views)
Tony Nutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
Tony Nutella

No one to confirm or deny? Do I need to add some information, though I think it's clear as a day?

Besides, what's up with an ancient bug with «Automatically retain media items»? It is still there. Did it migrate from bugs to features or did I miss something?

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:03 PM   #3
ashcat_lt

This is not new and not really a bug.

It IS a good reason to use 0db pan law by default and only change it on individual tracks when it actually matters.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
Fabian

Yes, the pan law is applied on each send, and this is not a bug but by design. This has been discussed many time before.

This is why the default setting is 0 dB pan law. It is "the setting that causes the least number of questions about pan law" (Schwa, http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=41345)

So if you just set the default to 0 dB, and change pan law only for the tracks that you need it for, things work fine.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:42 PM   #5
Tony Nutella

OMG, okay..
Old 12-12-2019, 06:02 PM   #6
ashcat_lt

It’s one of the things we get from having universal tracks and all the routing possibilities that entails. Reaper has no way of knowing which tracks you are using as busses or auxes or whatever so can’t really make a decision on pan law for different track types. You get to do that yourself as you see fit. If you wanted to, you could save track templates with different pan laws for different uses. Really though anything other than 0db is unnecessary unless you’re automating the pan.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:22 PM   #7
Tone Ranger

...or use the 'gain compensation (boots pans)' option if you want to use a pan law other than 0 dB.
Tone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote