Old 12-09-2019, 03:22 AM   #1
Gaia
Human being with feelings

Default can i keep reaper v6 and v5 installed one the same mac?

Hi
i have upgrade to v6 as soon as it come out

but i would like to keep installed v6 and v5 last build

i tried to rename v5 reaper64v5 , but i can't see in the launchpad

is there a way to have both installed one the same mac , i have an imac with mojave and an macbook with high sierra

i would like to keep both v6 and v5 last version on mojave and high sierra

thanks
Old 12-09-2019, 03:30 AM   #2
uncleswede

Install one version as a portable install
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:33 AM   #3
solger

In addition to uncleswede's post: here's a video showing the procedure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlsLEc5cvEM
Old 12-09-2019, 07:38 AM   #4
Gaia

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
In addition to uncleswede's post: here's a video showing the procedure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlsLEc5cvEM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
Install one version as a portable install
hi
on windows it's more easy but under mac , where should i copy my portable version
can't do it in the application folder
sadly i can't rename reaper v5

can i create a mac portable version and import my settings (i saved from v5 before installing the new version v6)?

thanks
Old 12-09-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
uncleswede

Aah... I don't have a MAC but I'm sure someone will be along soon to explain how to install a portable MAC version of Reaper
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #6
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia View Post
where should i copy my portable version
I have all of my portable Reaper installs here side-by-side in separate folders inside the Applications folder. As example:

Applications
|- reaper5 (folder)
|- reaper6 (folder)

And I also renamed the application files itself (from REAPER64.app) to REAPER5.app and REAPER6.app, so it's easier to distinguish between multiple installs when using tools like Spotlight, Alfred, etc. to start them (I personally don't really use the launchpad).

Quote:
can't do it in the application folder
sadly i can't rename reaper v5
What exactly isn't working?

Quote:
can i create a mac portable version and import my settings (i saved from v5 before installing the new version v6)?
Yes

Last edited by solger; 12-09-2019 at 11:20 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
serr

If you choose to keep the standard install and your single resource folder, just understand that every version of Reaper you launch will use that same resource folder. Don't do anything to create conflicts around that and you'll be just fine. When you go to open one of your projects via the project file, do a right-click and 'open with' the version of Reaper you wish to use.

Or make portable installs if that feels like a better solution for your workflow. Up to you.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #8
Slapclap

After installing version 6, I realised that my license runs out after 5.99, now I'm stuck with the nag on start up, it's a little to close to Christmas to shell out for another licence, how easy is it to reinstall version 5.99 until I can afford to upgrade?
Slapclap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #9
nait

Easy.
https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php?ver=5x

You can reinstall over top of your permanent install, or install as portable.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): Asus Z270A Prime Mobo, i7-6700k, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia GTX 1070, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:23 AM   #10
Slapclap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
Easy.
https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php?ver=5x

You can reinstall over top of your permanent install, or install as portable.
Cheers mate, so just a matter of reinstalling 5.99, I already have the exe saved. it rolls me back to pre update?
Old 12-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #11
Gaia

hi
i did it
i installed the last v6.01 and the last v5 portable
can i find again the last v5 installation files for mac and windows

thanks to everybody
Old 12-10-2019, 11:54 AM   #12
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapclap View Post
Cheers mate, so just a matter of reinstalling 5.99, I already have the exe saved. it rolls me back to pre update?
Others had mentioned on the forum that they were successful in doing this.

I actually had nothing to lose (except for time) so I just did an install of 5.99 over top of my 6.01 install just now, and I opened up a project saved in 6.01.. no issues. The only thing is, the theme was still showing as my R6-modified theme.. but I don't think that is an issue. There may also be some traces of 6, but I would doubt it (otherwise that's a nice easy way to get around licensing issues).

The proper way to do this to be 100% sure you remove all traces of 6.x though would be to uninstall, then reinstall Reaper.. but you should back up any settings and any themes, etc. you want to keep, just in case those go with your uninstall. Make sure you have access to your license file somewhere, for one. I don't think you need to do this though, as your goal is just to ensure your license work.. so installing on top should do just fine.

You could also do a temporary portable install of 5.99 and export/import your settings from 6 over, for now.

I also assume that if you use a Reaper 6.01 exclusive feature (if there is such a thing in this context) it may error out when loading the project.. previous versions of Reaper handled it like a warning.. still opened fine, just telling you that some feature wasn't available.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): Asus Z270A Prime Mobo, i7-6700k, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia GTX 1070, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 12-10-2019 at 12:03 PM.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #13
Slapclap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
Others had mentioned on the forum that they were successful in doing this.

I actually had nothing to lose (except for time) so I just did an install of 5.99 over top of my 6.01 install just now, and I opened up a project saved in 6.01.. no issues. The only thing is, the theme was still showing as my R6-modified theme.. but I don't think that is an issue. There may also be some traces of 6, but I would doubt it (otherwise that's a nice easy way to get around licensing issues).

The proper way to do this to be 100% sure you remove all traces of 6.x though would be to uninstall, then reinstall Reaper.. but you should back up any settings and any themes, etc. you want to keep, just in case those go with your uninstall. Make sure you have access to your license file somewhere, for one. I don't think you need to do this though, as your goal is just to ensure your license work.. so installing on top should do just fine.

You could also do a temporary portable install of 5.99 and export/import your settings from 6 over, for now.

I also assume that if you use a Reaper 6.01 exclusive feature (if there is such a thing in this context) it may error out when loading the project.. previous versions of Reaper handled it like a warning.. still opened fine, just telling you that some feature wasn't available.
Thanks a lot, I've nothing saved from 6.1 so nothing to lose, I thought I was good for another full version, hence why I installed 6, but it looks like I got it wrong,
I'll renew my licence in the new year, once I get over the expense of Christmas.