Old 12-10-2019, 08:18 AM   #1
randall7
Human being with feelings

Default Portable vs Permanent install ?

SOLVED (sort of):
This looks to be an issue with my audio driver. I have been using ASIO4ALL for years, no problems, only now is it causing these issues (and yes I checked for an update to asio4all but there is none). I can use Direct Sound instead of asio4all and everything works great, except that the latency is huge (185ms) and if I lower the samples to e.g. 256 then Reaper froze up. But at least I feel like I am discovering the gremlin problem that is causing this-- must be related to some recent Windows 10 updates that affected asio4all, or maybe Reaper updates idk.
----------------------------------------------------

I have a serious issue with Reaper now in my permanent install v5.x (5.984, 5.99), none of my VST3i plugins from spitfireaudio work-- by that I mean they crackle and pop horribly so they are unusable, and everything worked great just days ago. When I try portable installs of Reaper, there are no issues.

What is the permanent install doing to mess this up, cause this issue?

Last edited by randall7; 12-20-2019 at 09:36 AM. Reason: solution
randall7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #2
nait

I'd start with comparing audio device settings. I'm sure you've done that, but that'd be the low hanging fruit for pops/crackles. (including buffer/samples settings)
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): Asus Z270A Prime Mobo, i7-6700k, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia GTX 1070, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
randall7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
I'd start with comparing audio device settings. I'm sure you've done that, but that'd be the low hanging fruit for pops/crackles. (including buffer/samples settings)
I think I might have solved this-- it all started after I paired a set of bluetooth headphones, was just curious how that might work with Reaper projects. Then the crackles, etc. So just now I went into the Windows 10 registry, backed up the registry of course, then searched for an deleted almost every instance of Reaper I could find after first uninstalling the permanent install of Reaper.

Notably, I found a couple of instances (keys) in the registry, when searching for Reaper, that had to do with HDaudio, and I suspect deleting those two keys fixed the issue, maybe were the culprits.

Then I rebooted. Then I reinstalled a permanent install of Reaper v5.984/x64 and now the permanent install seems to work with VST4i plugins from SpitfireAudio.

I will NEVER EVER try using bluetooth headphones with a DAW again, geesh.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #4
randall7

Quote:
Originally Posted by randall7 View Post
I think I might have solved this-- it all started after I paired a set of bluetooth headphones, was just curious how that might work with Reaper projects. Then the crackles, etc. So just now I went into the Windows 10 registry, backed up the registry of course, then searched for an deleted almost every instance of Reaper I could find after first uninstalling the permanent install of Reaper.

Notably, I found a couple of instances (keys) in the registry, when searching for Reaper, that had to do with HDaudio, and I suspect deleting those two keys fixed the issue, maybe were the culprits.

Then I rebooted. Then I reinstalled a permanent install of Reaper v5.984/x64 and now the permanent install seems to work with VST4i plugins from SpitfireAudio.

I will NEVER EVER try using bluetooth headphones with a DAW again, geesh.

Well now I am having the SAME issue after unintalling Reaper 5.99, rebooting, Reaper 6 non-portable install (paid license version for the record). Same issue even without any bluetooth headphone usage or device pairing. Same sh%t. No problems with portable install of Reaper 6, just with regular non-portable install, sigh.