Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
Colox
Human being with feelings

Default Installing Reaper v6 over v5, bad idea?

I've been working with Reaper for some years now. But facing the new version 6, I'm thinking maybe I should clean it up a bit.

I'm on Windows, so in my C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\REAPER directory, I got a minor world of settings, presets, EEL plugins and scripts made by me or others etc etc. I don't have all that control over what is in there that I need and that is obsolete. That's my own shortcoming, not keeping a log of what I store and change in there, and not. I do back all of it up however.

I'm a little concerned about how this directory is growing, and now about to install Reaper v6 right over it. I'm wandering if anyone has got a better picture than me about how good of an idea that is, compared to cleaning out every trace of Reaper 5 from the system first?

I guess I'm eager to see Reaper 6, and not as eager to map out every present and resource in the Reaper user folder first.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
Greg Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colox View Post
I've been working with Reaper for some years now. But facing the new version 6, I'm thinking maybe I should clean it up a bit.

I'm on Windows, so in my C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\REAPER directory, I got a minor world of settings, presets, EEL plugins and scripts made by me or others etc etc. I don't have all that control over what is in there that I need and that is obsolete. That's my own shortcoming, not keeping a log of what I store and change in there, and not. I do back all of it up however.

I'm a little concerned about how this directory is growing, and now about to install Reaper v6 right over it. I'm wandering if anyone has got a better picture than me about how good of an idea that is, compared to cleaning out every trace of Reaper 5 from the system first?
I had no issues install 6 over 5. You can always back up the directory.
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #3
nait

I have no issue with Reaper 6 installed on top of 5 either, but if it concerns you, then just back up your settings and anything you need to save, and wipe 5 completely and then put 6 on. I don't think it's necessary though.

Looking at my portable install, the whole thing is only 140MB.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #4
Flavio

also possible to run a portable installation and export the whole configuration from 5 to 6.
This way allows you to keep both the versions and make all the necessary tests before definitively moving to the new one.
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #5
peter5992

I wouldn't worry about it, all preferences etc. are copied over into version 6.

If you decide you don't version 6, you just reinstall version 5 right over it, and you're back to where you were before.

This won't take more than 2 minutes.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote