Old 12-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
sws
Code Monkey

Default v4: SWS/S&M Extension

Hey everyone,

I wanted to give a little update with regards to SWS/S&M and v4:

1) It looks like SWS works just fine with Reaper v4, although due to subtle differences there may be issues. Please, as always, post bug reports to the SWS tracker linked in my signature. We are committed to making the extension as stable and bug-free as possible.

2) There is definitely some overlap of features with v4 and SWS/S&M. We are going to take this opportunity to do a little house cleaning. So, in the next few weeks, you will see separate SWS versions for v3 (mostly unchanged from today) and then a new v4 only version with a cleaned up action list, menu structure, and removal of deprecated features. Support for the v3 version of SWS will be limited as I want to encourage everyone to upgrade to v4.

Thanks to you, the community, for your continued support!
Tim
sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

Thanks for the update tim,

but leave that track list alone for now!

Track manager is not quite there yet!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
theopposite

this is a cool example of how extensions can fulfill user's immediate needs, and also inspire future native features. thanks guys!
theopposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws View Post

2) There is definitely some overlap of features with v4 and SWS/S&M. We are going to take this opportunity to do a little house cleaning.
Thanks for the update. If possible, please leave the Track List for now.

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
jas

Tim, you are the best of the best.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
Kundalinguist

Thanks Tim (and friends).
Old 12-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
nicholas
Scribe

As ever, thanks Tim!
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
JHughes
Banned

Thanks for the update.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:20 AM   #9
Jeffos
Mortal

house cleaning !?? I don't understand Tim: my house is very clean.
humm most probably another english expression..

ok, just a heads up: as Tim said things are mostly fine, but, due to a slight change in REAPER v4, please note all S&M take related actions can be funky when you have empty takes around. Will look at that..
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:36 AM   #10
beingmf

First of all – awesome as usual! Thanks for all the effort!

Quote:
Support for the v3 version of SWS will be limited as I want to encourage everyone to upgrade to v4.
But I hope, this won't happen until the official release of 4...
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:32 AM   #11
Subz

Quote:

2) There is definitely some overlap of features with v4 and SWS/S&M. We are going to take this opportunity to do a little house cleaning. So, in the next few weeks, you will see separate SWS versions for v3 (mostly unchanged from today) and then a new v4 only version with a cleaned up action list,
could this house cleaning break custom actions?

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:10 AM   #12
EvilDragon

I guess so.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #13
Subz

would there be a way that you could put code in the V4 sws that could replace missing sws extensions with there native replacements for custom actions?

or, (more simple & safer i would guess)

don't remove the actions just hide them, so there still in there to run any old custom actions that use them, but not visible in the Actions window,

Subz
Old 01-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #14
sws
Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subz View Post
would there be a way that you could put code in the V4 sws that could replace missing sws extensions with there native replacements for custom actions?
Yeah, I've been thinking about this, actually. I think I may do something @ startup, or maybe in the installer, or as a separate utility. It'll "remap" your actions by scanning/fixing your reaper-kb.ini file appropriately.

In plain terms - don't worry, I really don't want to break your workflow. Smoothing your workflow is what SWS is all about, right?
Old 01-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #15
gwok

great job, and many thanks!

if i could add my 2cents, please keep the snapshots. I tried replacing them with screenset trackviews, though they don't quite have the flow yet that sanpshots do (for me anyway)

though do what you gotta do, I'll adapt

thanks again
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #16
gofer
-blänk-

Not strictly a bug report per se, but I think there is a misconception in the fingers groove tool when it comes to velocity quantizing and the strength parameter.

With strength=100% it works as expected, but with lower strength I get unexpected results.

A simplified example:

- My user groove source consists of two notes. Note 1 has velocity 100, note 2 has velocity 50.
- My target item has two notes, both velocity = 100

=> Result with strength = 50%: note 1 = 50, note 2 =25.
Expected: Note 1 = 100 (unchanged, it's already the same as the groove source, can't get any nearer), Note 2 = 75 (goes 50% of the way towards the source groove, not to half of the source groove)

Example 2:

- User groove source consists of two notes, Note 1 = 100, Note 2 = 100
- Target item has two notes, Note 1 = 50, Note 2 = 25

=> Result with strength = 50%: Note 1 = 50, Note 2 = 50
Expected: Note 1 = 75 (half way between 50 and 100), Note 2 = 63 (or 62, depending on how it rounds).

Like note position, velocity should always change towards the source groove. The strength determines how much of the way towards the source groove it changes.

Last edited by gofer; 01-23-2011 at 02:32 PM.
gofer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #17
Bevosss

Thanks Tim! I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #18
musicbynumbers

Default Auto colour/icon

so far so GOOD! thanks!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #19
Bevosss

All good now with both icons and color, thanks Tim!

By the way I have run out of lines for entries, how do I get more? A few got deleted by that editing bug, I've tried double-clicking etc, no dice.

That bug I mentioned earlier when editing entries, I worked out it's when you modify the color title, or delete/rename an entry. Once you press enter, the entry moves to the top, then if you close and reopen auto-icon, it's gone from the auto-icon screen (although sometimes still present in the sws-autocoloricon.ini, just not visible in the window anymore!)

No biggee cause I can avoid it now, just keeping you informed. Here is a gif:

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/461259/AUTO-ICON-BUG2.gif
Old 01-24-2011, 06:09 AM   #20
bblue

Great stuff, Tim. Thanks!

I'm wondering if a little mod can be done to the auto-color/icon section. Right now it seems that the string compare for track name is left to right for the length of the matcher (name for the auto-color match) string. Perhaps a special first character (or another per-entry method) could be used to do a substring search instead?

I've run into several cases where it was really cumbersome to make almost duplicate entries for minor variations of track names. An optional substring search could take care of that problem.

Thanks for any consideration.

--Bill
bblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #21
bblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
All good now with both icons and color, thanks Tim!

By the way I have run out of lines for entries, how do I get more? A few got deleted by that editing bug, I've tried double-clicking etc, no dice.

That bug I mentioned earlier when editing entries, I worked out it's when you modify the color title, or delete/rename an entry. Once you press enter, the entry moves to the top, then if you close and reopen auto-icon, it's gone from the auto-icon screen (although sometimes still present in the sws-autocoloricon.ini, just not visible in the window anymore!)
I've seen this too.

Also, the same issue with line count.

--Bill
bblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #22
fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Not strictly a bug report per se, but I think there is a misconception in the fingers groove tool when it comes to velocity quantizing and the strength parameter.

With strength=100% it works as expected, but with lower strength I get unexpected results.

A simplified example:

- My user groove source consists of two notes. Note 1 has velocity 100, note 2 has velocity 50.
- My target item has two notes, both velocity = 100

=> Result with strength = 50%: note 1 = 50, note 2 =25.
Expected: Note 1 = 100 (unchanged, it's already the same as the groove source, can't get any nearer), Note 2 = 75 (goes 50% of the way towards the source groove, not to half of the source groove)

Example 2:

- User groove source consists of two notes, Note 1 = 100, Note 2 = 100
- Target item has two notes, Note 1 = 50, Note 2 = 25

=> Result with strength = 50%: Note 1 = 50, Note 2 = 50
Expected: Note 1 = 75 (half way between 50 and 100), Note 2 = 63 (or 62, depending on how it rounds).

Like note position, velocity should always change towards the source groove. The strength determines how much of the way towards the source groove it changes.
Thanks for posting this. I will have a look at it soon.
fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #23
gofer
-blänk-

That'd be awesome, thanks

(As soon as the pre-release storm is over I am going to request mousewheel/MIDI CC counterparts for your incredible envelope point actions, so be warned , I never seem to get enough)
gofer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #24
musicbynumbers

Default Resources window: Does not change channel amount when "applying" fx chain

First off, thanks Jeffos for the new resources window! been very useful so far.

Only thing I have found till now is if I load a fx chain that is say set to 6 channels on that track. The track doesn't auto change amount of channels when loading that chain from the resources "double click to apply" function.

It works from the normal way of getting chains in though. Don't know if you can get this working without cockos adding something?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #25
Mercado_Negro

Wow... I mean WOW!!!!!! Thanks a billion for this new and improved resources window.... man! this is brilliant...

*Merc breathes... calms down... and continues his post*

How the hell did I miss this since day one? Sigh...

Ok, now I'm calmed down and I tested it. I know I'm probably the only one bastard with 2818 FX chains in his resources folder, pretty insane, I know. I also know it needs some time to read them all but my main question is, before falling in love, is there a way to improve its speed? I mean, it takes like 10 or 15 seconds to write a letter in the filter, again, I know I have an insane amount of FX chains, but I'd love, I'd really love to use this a lot, what do you think guys, will you be able to improve this in the future?

*Merc crosses his fingers...

[EDIT] In general, it is very slow, show/hide window, filtering, etc., it even makes REAPER startup slow.

Last edited by Mercado_Negro; 01-24-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Mercado_Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #26
Bevosss

Just checked the resources window out too Jeffos, the first thing I tried doesn't seem possible, any chance it could be added later please?

What I want: to add the items, and only the items, from a track template to the selected track, without changing anything else ie existing items, track names, track icons, fx etc.

Reason: I want to be able to add a one click sample to my recorded D.I. tracks, for aligning tracks after reamping. I leave a 2 bar gap at the start and insert it there.

Also, how do I add my existing track templates to the resources window? I set the auto-save path, but they don't show, does it have to be done manually some way?

(I can macro the above request another way I think, so no biggee, but I'd prefer it using your window if possible...cheers!)
Old 01-25-2011, 12:10 AM   #27
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Also, how do I add my existing track templates to the resources window? I set the auto-save path, but they don't show, does it have to be done manually some way?

(I can macro the above request another way I think, so no biggee, but I'd prefer it using your window if possible...cheers!)
Did you try the right-click context menu right there in the resources window? It has an option to populate the list with your resource path content, it is "Auto fill (from resource path)"
Old 01-25-2011, 01:58 AM   #28
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Did you try the right-click context menu right there in the resources window? It has an option to populate the list with your resource path content, it is "Auto fill (from resource path)"
Thanks, worked a treat Mercado!

Cheers for considering that Jeffos!
Old 01-25-2011, 03:06 AM   #29
Jeffos
Mortal

I forgot! Due to some other discussions I've seen elsewhere about the Resource view, I want to say that the main point of it is not to compete the Media Explorer or the FX browser with another way of drag'n'droping things to the arrange but to provide "slot" actions (that can replace or paste Fx chain + import or apply track templates as bonuses). Btw, most of these actions were introduced before the view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Although it's part of the beta changelog some posts above, it's the 2nd time the "auto fill" wasn't seen.. I think I won't waste too much time on changelogs now (anyway, I admit I rarely read docs & changelogs myself..)

So, to easlily fill the resource view:
- the "auto fill" feature discussed above will insert all your FX chains and track templates that exist in the REAPER's default resource directories ("FXChains" and "TrackTemplates") and sub-directories.
- but, if you have files outside the default resource directory, you can also drag'n'drop a bunch of files from an explorer -> Resource view.

Quote:
Cheers for considering that Jeffos!
I have a car ride between my last post and this one (I don't why but I always have plenty of ideas when driving..). Bevosss!? what should happen when adding items from a track template to a track where some items are already present? Replace, add ? Both cases seem interesting, can't choose!
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:13 AM   #30
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post
Although it's part of the beta changelog some posts above, it's the 2nd time the "auto fill" wasn't seen.. I think I won't waste too much time on changelogs now (anyway, I admit I rarely read docs & changelogs myself..)
Haha, I think I thought that was related to auto-color, sorry! Please keep adding changelogs jeffos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post

I have a car ride between my last post and this one (I don't why but I always have plenty of ideas when driving..). Bevosss!? what should happen when adding items from a track template to a track where some items are already present? Replace, add ? Both cases seem interesting, can't choose!
For my reamping purpose, adding to the existing track. I Suppose both would be useful to someone...
Old 01-25-2011, 03:13 AM   #31
Subz

am i the only one that would like both Resource windows open at the same time?

FX chains & track templates would be nice docked side by side

Subz
Old 06-04-2011, 03:37 AM   #32
pixeltarian

I'm not sure if this is a bug or feature request, and I did put it on the official tracker (as a FR), but I wanted to make mention of it somewhere in the forums too.

I love that I can format text in sws notes. however, If I leave one note and come back to it, it looses text size and color information if there is more than one in play. see video:

http://screencast.com/t/5MjXzI2MT

pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:59 AM   #33
musicbynumbers

Pixeltarian

I think this is probably a reaper item notes limitation since you can't do this in the standard reaper item notes editor (does it work properly for track notes since these are SWS?)

It would be great if you could make a FR for this as I would definitely vote!

Would be an amazingly helpful thing to have especially since item notes may eventually be able to be displayed on the video window (like arrange page images now can be)
Old 06-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #34
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Pixeltarian

I think this is probably a reaper item notes limitation since you can't do this in the standard reaper item notes editor (does it work properly for track notes since these are SWS?)

It would be great if you could make a FR for this as I would definitely vote!

Would be an amazingly helpful thing to have especially since item notes may eventually be able to be displayed on the video window (like arrange page images now can be)
SWS request:
http://code.google.com/p/sws-extensi...ummary%20Stars

pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:18 AM   #35
musicbynumbers

Whoops

I meant the problem is most likely Cockos related and not SWS but be interesting to see what Tim or Jeffos say on the matter

I also said Reaper's side because then I hope Justin and Schwa might put in the ability for item notes to store this info so we can have lovely coloured and varied size/style writing for notes.

If SWS can do it though then that would also be very cool!
Old 06-04-2011, 07:25 AM   #36
Finnish

I haven't read the whole thread through so I have a question:

Can you make a default so that every new track has a different color? But not items within track, I mean every item would be the same colour in that particular track.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #37
Susan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
I love that I can format text in sws notes. however, If I leave one note and come back to it, it looses text size and color information if there is more than one in play. see video:

http://screencast.com/t/5MjXzI2MT...
Hi-

I'm on build 28, and I can't find that formatting menu. I'd really like to be able to increase the font size, but this is what I'm getting in the Notes/Help window:

http://home.comcast.net/~SMG_Music/swsnotes.swf

What am I missing, please?

Thanks-

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #38
Susan G

Does anyone know how to bring up that styles menu? It's no doubt something simple I'm missing.

Thanks-

-Susan
Old 06-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #39
sws
Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G View Post
Does anyone know how to bring up that styles menu? It's no doubt something simple I'm missing.
Hey Susan,

That's a standard OSX feature for text boxes, it doesn't exist in Windows. Sorry!
Old 06-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #40
Susan G

Quote:
Hey Susan,

That's a standard OSX feature for text boxes, it doesn't exist in Windows. Sorry!
Ah, that explains it -- thanks!

-Susan

P.S. I wish the default in Windows could be a little larger, but if folks are largely happy with it as is, so be it!