COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 07-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #1
CaptnWillie
Human being with feelings

Default State Saving in Plugin Version Updates

When I build a new version of our compression plug-in, and I go to test it in my DAW of choice Ableton live, it tells me that the plugin could not be found, and disabled.

The last thing that I can think of, is that when we release future versions of the plugin, we want to save the states from the old version in their project.

When I've been building projects with the"compressor so far, it tells me when I open a project that had contained an older version after I build the new version "plugin compressor could not be found", so I delete the old instance and load a new one. This is no problem now as the compressor is not integrated into my work flow, but if one were to update the compressor when they have it on every track in their project, and it forgets all their old settings and fucks up their mix, they would not be happy.

Any help / ideas / suggestions appreciated!
CaptnWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #2
Bobflip

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnWillie View Post
When I build a new version of our compression plug-in, and I go to test it in my DAW of choice Ableton live, it tells me that the plugin could not be found, and disabled.

The last thing that I can think of, is that when we release future versions of the plugin, we want to save the states from the old version in their project.

When I've been building projects with the"compressor so far, it tells me when I open a project that had contained an older version after I build the new version "plugin compressor could not be found", so I delete the old instance and load a new one. This is no problem now as the compressor is not integrated into my work flow, but if one were to update the compressor when they have it on every track in their project, and it forgets all their old settings and fucks up their mix, they would not be happy.

Any help / ideas / suggestions appreciated!
I've not had this issue. I'm sure you've thought of this already, but are you adding extra parameters between versions? That would cause a mismatch.
Bobflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:11 AM   #3
random_id

I haven't had issues like this. The DAW should find the newer plugin, and attempt to load the previous state. Other than the version number, did you alter anything else in resource.h? I could see this as a potential problem if you changed the PLUG_UNIQUE_ID and/or PLUG_MFR_ID.

If you changed some of the parameters, especially the order, there could be problems if you haven't altered UnserializeState and SerializeState to handle changes. Something like weird values being loaded; example, the previous input gain is now being loaded for the ratio value. That being said, just changing the number of parameters and/or order shouldn't stop the plugin from being found and loaded.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
CaptnWillie

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_id View Post
If you changed some of the parameters, especially the order, there could be problems if you haven't altered UnserializeState and SerializeState to handle changes. Something like weird values being loaded; example, the previous input gain is now being loaded for the ratio value. That being said, just changing the number of parameters and/or order shouldn't stop the plugin from being found and loaded.

I have not been changing the version number either. I just build the same version number. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the SerializeState; Ill look into it. We definitely have been adding and changing variables, especially the order. We are now thinking of wrapping up a final version of the plugin, and releasing versions that are independent in the future.
CaptnWillie is offline   Reply With Quote