Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-20-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
elmcity
Human being with feelings

Default Newbie in distress....please help

Wassup fellow reapers,
Please help me with using reaper. I am totally new to reaper but from what i see i simply love! Can someone give me a walk thru on recording audio....***Like This***-> I want to record a 4bar loop of audio in track1-4, use a vst bass on track5.
I am aware of how to setup for basic recording of audio but not how to set the length that i want

thx ever so much family
elmcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:50 AM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

Length of loop when recording is set with the loop selection - which you can create by dragging in the timescale at the top of the tracks (or below the tracks or various other methods).
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:45 AM   #3
elmcity

forgive me on the request but i am totally new at getting in pc recording,
I am trying to do a 4bar loop and i am used to seeing this
005.01.00 in other sequencers should i be seeing this in reaper?
should my view/time unit for ruler be in "measures and beats"
Old 05-21-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
bigwoody

Right click on the time bar and you can choose several different combinations including measures/beats. Then simply drag on the timeline until you get 4 measures (if you turn the snap option on in the toolbar it will help you), and now finally under Options choose "Records Mode: loop selection auto punch". Now when you record it will capture what ever you are doing in that 4 measure segment.
Oh and welcome to Reaperland.....
bigwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
elmcity

I have a 4bar loop,
now how do i "append"to make it 8bars?
right now i have the 1st 4bars hilited and looping.
thx again
Old 05-21-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
bigwoody

No problem. Because it is now a loop, you simply drag the edge of it out for 4 more bars. You will notice a small inverted triangle as soon as you start dragging, and then another one as soon as you get to the next 4 bars....it will simply keep repeating for as many 4 bar loops as you drag it.

With this answer I assumed that you recorded a 4 bar loop. If what you are asking is how to extend the selection, you do that in the timebar by just draggin the end of the seletion either direction.

Last edited by bigwoody; 05-21-2007 at 06:30 PM.
bigwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
elmcity

I tried to but when i did the drag, the timing is off in the copy (maybe the picture will help).
thx again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaper3.JPG (48.1 KB, 256 views)
Old 05-22-2007, 05:13 PM   #8
elmcity

how do i fix this timing?
thx
Old 05-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #9
Diogenes

So from your pic, you have the tracks looping as desired? If so, right click and drag to make sure all the traks are selected. Now hit Shift+S to Split items at loop selection". Now make sure all the items are selected as they should be, hold down Ctrl and drag to the right. That makes copies and they will snap to your grid if snapping is active. You DID set up the tempo and grid right...

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:34 PM   #10
elmcity

thx diogenes,
I did copy the way you described and it worked perfectly!
I think i set the tempo when i started session but to make sure can you give me a walk thru "with the grid as well" man.
Where in the manual is all this described
thx again
Old 05-22-2007, 06:52 PM   #11
Diogenes

A lot of musicians HATE playing to click tracks. I know I did until I discovered what a lifesaver they were! Record your stuff to a click trying for the best timing and "feel" you can. Later, when editing, everything is right THERE on the grid and soooo much easier to edit. Trust me. I learned the hard way.

You set the project tempo in the "BPM" field on the transport bar. Explore that metronome button. Right click it to set options and USE the thing. You'll be glad you did. BTW, the metronome follows the tempo set in the BPM field.

Just a little story...

My son and his buds were recording a demo. One of the band members knows a guy who knows a guy who has a "real" studio. Anyway, about 6:00PM my son calls and is frustrated because they had been unable to get decent drum tracks despite going at it ALL day. Dudes tempo was all over the place so the engineer gives him a click in his headphones. Now ol' dad (me) had been telling these boys for a couple years now... but being kids... Anyway, the kid could not play to the click either. Finally engineer guy says "You can have this as is OR you can go practice some more and come back and do it right. I'm not coming down on anybody! I'm just being honest. You boys can do this. You just need to work with a metronome".

Hmm... that sounded familiar. I remember being a teenager and being "smarter" than my dad. Man... was I stupid.

D
Old 05-23-2007, 05:40 AM   #12
tspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
A lot of musicians HATE playing to click tracks. I know I did until I discovered what a lifesaver they were! Record your stuff to a click trying for the best timing and "feel" you can. Later, when editing, everything is right THERE on the grid and soooo much easier to edit. Trust me. I learned the hard way.
Ditto what D says. You will never realize the full benefit of the incredibly powerful editing tools that you have unless you play to a click. Well actually, what we do instead of playing to a click is to set up a very minimal midi drum track (just a constant loop with no changes) and play to that. When the real drums (or guitar or whatever will carry the rhythm) are recorded and edited to be on beat, the midi track is (usually) muted or deleted. I personally find it easier to play to the midi drums than a regular click track, and using something like Addictive Drums (which has an excellent freebie version), you can set up a drum track in just a minute or two.

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:13 AM   #13
elmcity

i am a lil lost on this whole "click track" thing.
I have always used a click track, so i am not understanding the replies about this.
please explain

i was wondering about this comment though,
"You DID set up the tempo and grid right..."
how do i set "grid"

Last edited by elmcity; 05-23-2007 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:16 AM   #14
Diogenes

What I mean is don't do what I use to try and do... that is just recording a free jam with tempos all over the place and no project tempo set. You WILL be pulling your hair out trying to edit later.

Decide on a tempo for your song. Start a new project. Set that tempo then use the metronome or a drum loop like T suggested. Most of the time I end up using a drum loop and EZdrummer for my click although the built-in metronome is very useful for some things.

The comment about the grid is all about setting up the tempo map. Is the tune 4/4 all the way through? If so, Reaper defaults to that and the grid is set up for 4/4. If not, set it in the Project Settings dialog OR insert a tempo change marker and insert the time sig there.

D
Old 05-23-2007, 10:36 AM   #15
tspring

Sorry for the confusion...
When you said "I think i set the tempo when i started session but to make sure can you give me a walk thru "with the grid as well" man.
Where in the manual is all this described", I thought that you must have been playing without reference to track tempo.

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote