Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 03-24-2021, 09:51 PM   #41
Magoostus
Human being with feelings

ive been using reaper on Ubuntu 64-bit since raspberryPI os is still 32-bit from what I understand. it's crazy having this much audio editing power on a little computer this small
Magoostus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:23 PM   #42
maxdembo

OK, one 64bit OS coming up.
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:26 PM   #43
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
Well, I just tried the aarch64 version. Reaper doesnt load.

Armv71, Reaper works fine.
I think I'm mistaken, then... armv71 is 32bit, I take it. AFAIK the latest Pi uses a processor that supports aarch64, but I guess the OS is still (officially) 32bit, so maybe that explains why aarch64 doesn't work.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:08 AM   #44
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
I think I'm mistaken, then... armv71 is 32bit, I take it. AFAIK the latest Pi uses a processor that supports aarch64, but I guess the OS is still (officially) 32bit, so maybe that explains why aarch64 doesn't work.
My mistake...

I was def running 32bit OS. So 32bit, armv71 worked fine, aarch64 did not.

Just switched to the 64bit OS, aarch64 working fine now. Overclocked again
Old 03-25-2021, 12:23 AM   #45
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
The 4GB limit also applied to 32 bit Windows. It's the max addresses to memory that a 32 bit OS can see.
I shoulda known that, been thru all this before when PC's did it
Old 03-26-2021, 12:27 PM   #46
maxdembo

https://www.seeedstudio.com/Rack-Tower-p-4675.html

Just got this set up. Didnt even set up the RGB part of the fan, stupid flashy lights And I've just removed the fan from it too, its not exactly the quietest fan, even at 3 volts. It shifts a lot of air for sure, but at the expense of silence.

A 140mm fan doesnt screw in like a 120mm does, but placed against the stack/case, it works great and is super silent, even at 5 volts (its an especially silent fan taken from my Fractal Design R4 case).

The placement of the screw holes for the RPi4 means the heatsink is a little further away from the fan than I had it set up previous, but even at full load, its not going above 37 degrees or so, with 2.3ghz overclock.

I just need that solid aluminium case to arrive now

Last edited by maxdembo; 03-26-2021 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:55 AM   #47
cyrano

An interesting read: a cluster of eight Pis compared with a fairly recent i5 Macbook Air and a not-so-recent Windows 10 PC:

https://www.the-diy-life.com/can-my-...at-my-macbook/

The Raspberry Pi cluster was built for solving math problems. Not audio, still it gives a picture of the performance of different systems. And you can try it on your machine, as the test is a simple python script searching for prime numbers in a not-so-efficient way, to put more load on the CPUs under test.

The windows PC has a 7th generation dual-core i5 processor running at 2.5GHz.
The MacBook Air has a 1.6 GHz Dual Core i5 processor.
The cluster has eight Raspberry Pi4s, overclocked to 2 GHz.

Oh, there's also a YT vid:

The results, for those who aren't into the nitty gritty details:

Shorter is better, obviously. This seems to scale well to a cluster. I fear audio wouldn't scale as well. But how about a cheap grid server?
Old 03-27-2021, 10:43 AM   #48
clepsydrae

Cool stuff. Though isn't it weird that the writer didn't list cost or talk about performance/watt or performance/$?

Using the links they provided in the related hardware build post, I get a total of ~$828 for the parts involved, plus maybe $50-100 (?) in shipping costs. Plus taxes, let's say $900 to $1000 for that build?

They're comparing it to a MacBook Air... The writer described it as a "2020 MacBook Air" but they have a dual i5 at 1.6Ghz which I believe is actually a 2018 model (that's the latest model to use a chip meeting those parameters, though Apple had a dual i5 1.6 GHz as far back as 2011). That's a passmark of 2996. Current MacBook Air has an M1 which has passmark 14688 and sells for about $1000... if we assume naively that the 4-5X speedup from a modern processor would scale the test results, you might get equivalent bang for buck buy just buying a new MacBook?

They don't give any details on the "outdated HP laptop" they compared against, except that it has a "1.6 GHz" processor. Which is weird. But given the typical $/performance tradeoffs between a newly-purchased mac and a homebuilt PC, it would seem safe to bet that you could beat these results pretty easily with a conventional build? Not to mention the saved time, and the increased flexibility/features in having a "regular" PC instead of a cluster of Pi's. :-)

I'm not asserting anything... i may well be missing something obvious. Just wanted to run the numbers on the context to see what that picture looked like. [edit: e.g. their build could probably be done cheaper than the retail list prices of the links they provided... maybe more like $700 or $800? Of course you can also buy a refurb'ed macbook, etc etc etc]
Old 03-27-2021, 12:36 PM   #49
maxdembo

Fascinating stuff, not at all practical or cost effective but fascinating all the same.

I vaguely looked into Pi clusters and decided against it, as one of my loves for the Pi recently is how transportable it is.

It shows how the future may play out for the Pi tho.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:03 AM   #50
maxdembo

Just installed this case - https://desalvoinc.com/collections/f...raspberry-pi-4

And without a fan, the CPU is reading only 57 degrees max, with a hefty overclock in place. Very pleased, definitely a case I would heartily recommended. Now to turn the fan on

Old 04-10-2021, 05:14 AM   #51
cyrano

Nice case!

Especially with all those threaded holes. Machined. 50$ is a steal...
Old 04-10-2021, 05:22 AM   #52
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Nice case!

Especially with all those threaded holes. Machined. 50$ is a steal...
For sure. There is a cheaper version but threaded holes seemed like a no brainer. I think the chances of me covering it in more heatsinks is highly likely

I shall create a behemoth!

EDIT: It'll look like this when I'm done -

EDIT 2: I also havent seen many other cases that heatsink more than just the CPU. This one works with the CPU, USB controller and RAM.

Last edited by maxdembo; 04-10-2021 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:59 AM   #53
Glennbo

Quote:
For sure. There is a cheaper version but threaded holes seemed like a no brainer. I think the chances of me covering it in more heatsinks is highly likely

I shall create a behemoth!

Way cool case! The threaded holes likely improve the heat dissipation because the threads create more surface area like fins.

Quote:
EDIT 2: I also havent seen many other cases that heatsink more than just the CPU. This one works with the CPU, USB controller and RAM.

The solid aluminum Vilros heatsink case I have my Pi4 in has contact points for chips on both sides of the mobo. I scraped the paint on all of them down to bare metal, and applied Arctic Silver thermal paste on each one. No screw holes for mounting additional stuff though.

Same with my other finned CNC aluminum case on my Pi3 B+.

Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:08 AM   #54
maxdembo

Good call with the arctic silver I used some proper thermal paste instead of the supplied stuff

It seems like such a step backwards to me to have these super tiny efficient devices and then attach those tiny tiny fans to em. But then I come from the days of trying to silence my PC before the hardware for such things was actually commonplace, having to mod cases and motherboards to get rid of the fans sounding like a fucking air craft

That being said, this case does get pretty warm to the touch!
Old 04-10-2021, 09:16 AM   #55
Glennbo

Quote:
Good call with the arctic silver I used some proper thermal paste instead of the supplied stuff

It seems like such a step backwards to me to have these super tiny efficient devices and then attach those tiny tiny fans to em. But then I come from the days of trying to silence my PC before the hardware for such things was actually commonplace, having to mod cases and motherboards to get rid of the fans sounding like a fucking air craft

That being said, this case does get pretty warm to the touch!
I managed to get my Pi4 pretty toasty a few weeks ago when I plugged my eight input Behringer UMC1820 into it and tried doing some recording like I would with my Ryzen 3700X desktop machine.

Towards the end of more than an hour of constant recording, it was getting warm enough that I'm pretty sure it was throttling, because I'd hit record and there would be a 1 or 2 second pause before it would start rolling, which wasn't happening at the start of that session. I did manage to finish the test project though.

If I were to put my Pi4 into the role of recording like that frequently, I'd prolly get one of those badass fan towers like you have and overclock the Pi more. As a Kodi client to a MythTV server and media center the Pi4 works fine in the Vilros case and never gets anything beyond warm.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:56 AM   #56
maxdembo

Tbh, I think with the fan set up I have (using the above seed studio plastic stacking set up), cooling will probably be better using the aluminium Desalvo case instead of the 52Pi tower heatsink.

I'll get the fan plugged back in tomorrow and report back
Old 04-10-2021, 11:37 AM   #57
clepsydrae

Quote:
The solid aluminum Vilros heatsink case I have my Pi4 in has contact points for chips on both sides of the mobo. ... No screw holes for mounting additional stuff though.
Looks like the walls are too thin to tap your own holes into, eh? Is there maybe enough space in some spots to drill a hole and glue a nut on the inside?
Old 04-10-2021, 12:35 PM   #58
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Looks like the walls are too thin to tap your own holes into, eh? Is there maybe enough space in some spots to drill a hole and glue a nut on the inside?
It's about 1/8th inch thick aluminum. I would bet you could drill and tap it. You would just need to be super careful because it would only be enough thickness for 3 or 4 threads.

Gluing a nut on the inside would definitely work, but the placement would need to be somewhere that no components stick up from the mobo.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:15 AM   #59
maxdembo

1 fan re-attached.

Its a 120mm silent fan, running at 5v, just blowing over the case from a few inches away.

20 degree drop (celsius). Yesterday the Pi was running at around 57+ degrees (but never hitting 60) at full load, today its on a maximum of 37.

Also, this is with the Pi sitting on my gas fire (not turned on, obviously) that has a back boiler, and the heating has been on all night, so the Pi is not in the coolest part of the room, at all

1080p videos play just great now too, I think that was due to going 64 bit and upping the allowed VRAM from 64mb to 256mb (enabled via the app PiKISS, and something I've not seen anyone talk about in the Pi videos I've watched but was a def benefit back when I was using Intel's IGP before I got a dedicated graphics card).

Anyway, success!

Last edited by maxdembo; 04-11-2021 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:44 PM   #60
maxdembo

Portable tiny Reaper? Very close...

Old 05-17-2021, 07:21 PM   #61
maxdembo

Default New Pi4 Case released!

https://desalvoinc.com/collections/f...raspberry-pi-4

Old 05-17-2021, 08:24 PM   #62
Glennbo

Quote:
That looks pretty . . . neat-o!

Hehe, didn't wanna say cool for the obvious reasons.

Passive silent cooling is the way to go if possible.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:25 PM   #63
lucas_LCS

Quote:
I might buy this just to have it sitting on my desk.

::
Old 05-18-2021, 09:52 PM   #64
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
I might buy this just to have it sitting on my desk.

It'll make a great paperweight.

Or defense against an intruder
Old 05-18-2021, 09:53 PM   #65
clepsydrae

Or napkin holder.

Or marble track.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:59 PM   #66
maxdembo

Pinball table controller and part of the course.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:10 AM   #67
lucas_LCS

all good suggestions!

Old 05-19-2021, 08:36 AM   #68
rothchild

I'm a big fanless (cough) fan...

The main i7 32gig DAW here is entirely fanless and some of these Pi heatsinks are proper works of art!
rothchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:16 AM   #69
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothchild View Post

The main i7 32gig DAW here is entirely fanless
Exactly the same here: No moving parts But (still) Windows .

Only it's two of them. One "desktop" for editing recordings etc, one "in a trunk" for live playing on stage.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:40 AM   #70
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothchild View Post

The main i7 32gig DAW here is entirely fanless and some of these Pi heatsinks are proper works of art!
Good work!

I've been doing this silent PC thing for about 20 years now, before anything was really commercially available to silence these stupid beasts Even going so far as to install a channel for the PSU to have its own air supply separate from the rest of the case, before that was a thing

Im not fanless now but the machine is ten years old, and is as quiet as I could afford at the time (fractal case, etc), and its overclocked up the wazoo so I probably need the fans. Still almost impossible to hear tho.

i7 and no fans tho? Thats impressive

Up until this RPi heatsink case, the whole RPi scene seems happy returning back to tiny tiny fans that make a high pitched squeal most dont mind (the ones that I removed from my AMD southbridge and replaced with heatsinks because annoying noise!). Reminds me completely of what we got away from with silent pc's The 'silent' fan that came with my RPi stacker thing was also far from being what I would call silent

Anyway, just bought this RPi4 case Hoping to see stupidly low temps.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:32 PM   #71
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Up until this RPi heatsink case, the whole RPi scene seems happy returning back to tiny tiny fans that make a high pitched squeal most dont mind (the ones that I removed from my AMD southbridge and replaced with heatsinks because annoying noise!).
The heatsinks cases have been around for awhile.
Glennbo's Pi4 4GB kit from Vilros that he bought in 2019 came with the Aluminum heatsink case he posted above.
see:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=227029

I never saw any as nice as the Desalvo ones, though.

Quote:
Anyway, just bought this RPi4 case Hoping to see stupidly low temps.
looking forward to seeing how it well it works in action.
Thinking of moving to a Pi4 8GB for regular computer use.
I, of course, will have to also then test it to see how well it performs for me as a DAW platform.

Old 05-20-2021, 06:29 PM   #72
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
The heatsinks cases have been around for awhile.
Glennbo's Pi4 4GB kit from Vilros that he bought in 2019 came with the Aluminum heatsink case he posted above.
see:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=227029

I never saw any as nice as the Desalvo ones, though.

looking forward to seeing how it well it works in action.
Thinking of moving to a Pi4 8GB for regular computer use.
I, of course, will have to also then test it to see how well it performs for me as a DAW platform.

Yeah, I did word that really badly, especially considering I'd already seen other heatsink cases too. Oops

I've been loving it as a DAW machine but only for recording so far, I havent done any editing or trying any plugins. Hefty overclock tho so fingers crossed it works nicely for some things.

And obviously, I played some Tony Hawks Pro Skater too

EDIT: I looked last night at the desalvo Makers Case and this new cases temp charts. Without cooling, the manufacturers temps and mine are the same pretty much. With a 5v slow moving 140mm fan blowing slowly over the Makers Case, I'm 10 degrees c down from load temps with no fan.

This new case, the manufacturers temp chart says 10 degrees down from load temps on the Makers Case. If that holds true, I could be down another 10 degrees Meaning my 2.3ghz overclock, at load, will be cooler than my current set up is, with a fan, at idle

Last edited by maxdembo; 05-20-2021 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:30 AM   #73
maxdembo

New case in the house. Its a beautiful little thing.

I'll check temp readings later.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:10 AM   #74
maxdembo

With the silent fan on, 2.3ghz overclock, CPU isnt going over 38 degrees c at full load. Mostly its sticking at 36.

10 degree drop in temp. 38 degrees is only 5 over what I was idling at previously.

Quite an awesome Pi case.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:14 PM   #75
maxdembo

According to the comments, this is an RPi4 at heart...

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2...in-depth-demo/
Old 07-07-2021, 06:55 PM   #76
Glennbo

Quote:
According to the comments, this is an RPi4 at heart...

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2...in-depth-demo/
Well that's pretty slick!
Old 07-09-2021, 03:46 PM   #77
maxdembo

More interesting Pi accessories from 52Pi

Old 07-29-2021, 09:08 AM   #78
maxdembo

Default Battery pack for the RPi4...

And it attaches directly to the Pi itself.

This wouldnt work with the Pi case I have installed but someone may find this useful, so posting it here...

Old 07-29-2021, 09:23 AM   #79
Glennbo

Quote:
And it attaches directly to the Pi itself.

This wouldnt work with the Pi case I have installed but someone may find this useful, so posting it here...
That's pretty cool.

This solar generator battery box I just built wouldn't work with your case either, but since a Pi with a heavy load consumes about 6.4 watts of power, the 153 watt hour solar generator battery with 5 USB ports and a lighter plug outlet could run a Pi for about 23.9 hours before you need to plug the solar panel into it.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:26 AM   #80
maxdembo

Quote:
That's pretty cool.

This solar generator battery I just built wouldn't work with your case either, but since a Pi with a heavy load consumes about 6.4 watts of power, this 153 watt hour solar generator battery with 5 USB ports and a lighter plug outlet could run a Pi for about 23.9 hours before you need to plug the solar panel into it.

Thats fantastic. Deeply impressive

One of my next purchases is some form of solar panel stuff. Its lame that I havent explored such things sooner.