Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 05-14-2016, 11:43 PM   #1
juliansader
Human being with feelings

Default Multi Tool script for MIDI and automation editing

The "Multi tool" script combines several functions into one:

It works in the MIDI editor, the inline editor and also automation:

As soon as the shortcut key is pressed, colored zones will light up on screens, indicating the available functions.

Each zone may either be left-click/dragged, mousewheel-triggered, or right-clicked. The zones and their associated left-button / mousewheel functions are:

* Compress lane from top / Flip values absolute
* Compress lane from bottom / Flip values absolute
* Scale values from top / Flip values relative
* Scale value from bottom / Flip values relative
* Warp left/right or up/down (depending on initial mouse movement) / Reset positions and values
* Stretch from left / Reverse positions
* Stretch from right / Reverse positions
* Tilt left side / Snap to chased values on left
* Tilt right side / Snap to chased values on right
* Move one direction
* Undo
* Redo

Last edited by juliansader; 05-19-2021 at 09:37 AM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:18 AM   #2
_Stevie_

Julian, the multitool is again a milestone in MIDI editing. just amazing! Thank you so much.
One minor thing that I noticed: when using the orange area, the selected curve jumps immediately to the “grab position”. Is that on purpose?
Old 12-05-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
Vagelis

Wow multi what?! Another awesome script from you, thanks!!!
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:02 PM   #4
todd_r

MultiTool is perfect! Is it possible to get this running on automation lanes too? That would be amazing
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:25 AM   #5
reapero

Julian, you just smoked every other midi CC editing tool i have ever seen.

Congrats and thank you so much!
reapero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:39 AM   #6
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapero View Post
Julian, you just smoked every other midi CC editing tool i have ever seen.

Congrats and thank you so much!
That’s so frigging true
Old 12-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #7
lowellben

I just tried to downloaded the multitool but searching this thread I can't find a solid introduction to it. When I load it, nothing opens. Is there a simple walkthrough guide on how to use the MIDI multitool. It looks and sounds amazing but I can't figure it out. Sorry Thank you.

I only see the js_Mouse editing - Multi tool action.

Last edited by lowellben; 12-09-2019 at 12:58 PM.
lowellben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:55 PM   #8
_Stevie_

Assign the tool to a shortcut, then hover over a CC lane and execute the shortcut.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:56 AM   #9
BogdanS

On a Mac, after clicking a shotcut whit multitool, the midi editor turns black with multi-colored squares
BogdanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:16 AM   #10
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Assign the tool to a shortcut, then hover over a CC lane and execute the shortcut.
Oh thanks I will try that I didn't think of that!
Old 12-11-2019, 03:05 AM   #11
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogdanS View Post
On a Mac, after clicking a shotcut whit multitool, the midi editor turns black with multi-colored squares
Gosh, that isn't supposed to happen! Which versions of REAPER and macOS are you using? Could you please let me know what happens when you run other scripts that either create a GUI window (such as the LFO Tool or Radial Menu), or displays graphics inside the MIDI editor window (such as the MIDI Inspector, when docked in the editor).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
I just tried to downloaded the multitool but searching this thread I can't find a solid introduction to it. When I load it, nothing opens. Is there a simple walkthrough guide on how to use the MIDI multitool. It looks and sounds amazing but I can't figure it out.
Most of my scripts come with extensive instructions inside the script file, which can be read with the ReaPack browser's "About" function, or by opening the script in REAPER's built-in IDE. If anything in the instructions is unclear, please let me know so that I can improve it!

The Multi Tool works pretty much like the rest of the js_Mouse editing scripts, except for the colorful GUI and the ability to perform multiple steps. As Stevie advised, simply hover the mouse over a CC lane and execute the shortcut. Similar to the other scripts, the original mouse position determines whether all lanes or only the lane under the mouse will be edited, middle-click and mousewheel change curve shape, etc.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:27 PM   #12
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
You can also try the new Multi tool script, which has been refactored for the new CC envelopes:

ohhhh, you have completed reaper, and me. Thanks!!!!!and congrats for your amazing scripts! will use it like, a lotttttt.

would be very happy if Reaper putted yours script as an default tool of reaper, i'm surprised that they didn't.
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:28 PM   #13
lowellben

Quote:
Gosh, that isn't supposed to happen! Which versions of REAPER and macOS are you using? Could you please let me know what happens when you run other scripts that either create a GUI window (such as the LFO Tool or Radial Menu), or displays graphics inside the MIDI editor window (such as the MIDI Inspector, when docked in the editor).

Most of my scripts come with extensive instructions inside the script file, which can be read with the ReaPack browser's "About" function, or by opening the script in REAPER's built-in IDE. If anything in the instructions is unclear, please let me know so that I can improve it!

The Multi Tool works pretty much like the rest of the js_Mouse editing scripts, except for the colorful GUI and the ability to perform multiple steps. As Stevie advised, simply hover the mouse over a CC lane and execute the shortcut. Similar to the other scripts, the original mouse position determines whether all lanes or only the lane under the mouse will be edited, middle-click and mousewheel change curve shape, etc.
I simply cannot get it to work. Nothing will open. I assigned a shortcut, hovered over a CC lane. Nothing happens. Is there supposed to be a dialog box or something? I can't select anything like I've seen in the screenshots in the recent posts here. Jealous! lol

Am I missing something?
Old 12-13-2019, 08:52 AM   #14
daniellumertz

The first time I tried It open an windows saying I need to install an package i think then it worked, are you selecting the cc you want to modfy?
Old 12-13-2019, 09:50 AM   #15
Vagelis

Hi Julian, coming back to say another thank you for the awesome multi tool,it's veeeery useful!!!

As i was using it today, i was thinking that each time i scale the values from the top or bottom rectangle, it goes back to the initial position. My thoughts were, wouldn't it be better if it was following the height of the envelope as we scale it ? Because sometimes, as it is shown in the gif, when we drag to a lower value and the selection resets to the top, if we drag again, the value scales first to the height of the rectangle area.

One more thought was, would it be possible to draw points outside the multi tool selection when is active ? Or it can't be done if the script is active?
Old 12-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #16
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post
The first time I tried It open an windows saying I need to install an package i think then it worked, are you selecting the cc you want to modfy?
I think so? I clicked in a CC lane, I've tried selected a CC in a line, I've tried hovering mouse over lane + key shortcut. Nothing happens. Just a Windows "alert ding" sound and no visual feedback of any kind.

Can you give me a step by step guide on how to use this multi tool as a simple example?
Old 12-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #17
juliansader

Quote:
I think so? I clicked in a CC lane, I've tried selected a CC in a line, I've tried hovering mouse over lane + key shortcut. Nothing happens. Just a Windows "alert ding" sound and no visual feedback of any kind.
What is the shortcut that you assigned to the script? The fact the you hear a Windows ding and nothing else happens, makes me think that either Windows or REAPER is intercepting the shortcut key. Perhaps the key has already been assigned to REAPER's global shortcuts, or it is one of Windows' built-in shortcuts?

Please test the shortcut by assigning it to one of REAPER's native actions that respond to mouse position, such as "Edit: Set or insert CC event at mouse cursor.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #18
juliansader

Quote:
One minor thing that I noticed: when using the orange area, the selected curve jumps immediately to the “grab position”. Is that on purpose?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
As i was using it today, i was thinking that each time i scale the values from the top or bottom rectangle, it goes back to the initial position. My thoughts were, wouldn't it be better if it was following the height of the envelope as we scale it ? Because sometimes, as it is shown in the gif, when we drag to a lower value and the selection resets to the top, if we drag again, the value scales first to the height of the rectangle area.
I will change this in the next update, so that the "Scale" zones are drawn at the levels of the minimum and maximum values.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #19
juliansader

Quote:
One more thought was, would it be possible to draw points outside the multi tool selection when is active ? Or it can't be done if the script is active?
This cannot be done while the script is active.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:02 PM   #20
Vagelis

Quote:
I will change this in the next update, so that the "Scale" zones are drawn at the levels of the minimum and maximum values.
Great, thank you a lot Julian!! I'm going to use it a lot

Some nice addition would be if we could also scale both of the minimum and maximum values at the same time, from the horizontal or vertical zones.

An example of this effect could be like scaling the left side to the left and the right side to the right at the same time, and the opposite.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:54 PM   #21
lowellben

Quote:
What is the shortcut that you assigned to the script? The fact the you hear a Windows ding and nothing else happens, makes me think that either Windows or REAPER is intercepting the shortcut key. Perhaps the key has already been assigned to REAPER's global shortcuts, or it is one of Windows' built-in shortcuts?

Please test the shortcut by assigning it to one of REAPER's native actions that respond to mouse position, such as "Edit: Set or insert CC event at mouse cursor.
It works now thank you Strange I changed shortcut and now I see the colored boxes! Now I am going to read the "help file" in the script info and learn how this beast works!
Old 12-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #22
tack

The multi-tool is total magic!

The only thing I wish is that it worked better with the native undo action. I'd like to be able to ctrl-z while staying in the tool. As it is now, ctrl-z undoes the change but also exits the multi-tool.

Last edited by tack; 12-13-2019 at 04:21 PM.
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:44 PM   #23
Joe90

Julian this multi-tool is absolute genius, thank you! Do you (or anyone else) know if there is an equivalent for editing the main envelopes in the arrange page? I'm specifically referring to the multi-tool and the way you alter selected points in these unique and useful ways.

I know we can draw an automation item around a group of envelope points and that will give us more control over amplitude/skew etc, but automation items have their own set of issues, and even then the control is not as extensive as a script like yours Julian - I'd love to have a tool like this one to just get in there and edit them easily from a shortcut. Anyone know of anything like this?
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #24
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Julian this multi-tool is absolute genius, thank you! Do you (or anyone else) know if there is an equivalent for editing the main envelopes in the arrange page? I'm specifically referring to the multi-tool and the way you alter selected points in these unique and useful ways.

I know we can draw an automation item around a group of envelope points and that will give us more control over amplitude/skew etc, but automation items have their own set of issues, and even then the control is not as extensive as a script like yours Julian - I'd love to have a tool like this one to just get in there and edit them easily from a shortcut. Anyone know of anything like this?
Would be coool!
Old 12-13-2019, 07:26 PM   #25
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
The multi-tool is total magic!

The only thing I wish is that it worked better with the native undo action. I'd like to be able to ctrl-z while staying in the tool. As it is now, ctrl-z undoes the change but also exits the multi-tool.
I think this would even be possible by intercepting Ctrl+z/y while the script is active.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #26
tack

Quote:
I think this would even be possible by intercepting Ctrl+z/y while the script is active.
Perhaps, although in practice I actually bind 'z' to undo rather than ctrl-z
Old 12-14-2019, 05:51 AM   #27
JoostJanssensDS

Quote:
Perhaps, although in practice I actually bind 'z' to undo rather than ctrl-z
This is how you spot the Pro Tools refugees folks!😉
JoostJanssensDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:00 AM   #28
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoostJanssensDS View Post
This is how you spot the Pro Tools refugees folks!��
Ha! Not in my case though. Never used Pro Tools a day in my life.

It just makes sense as a key binding because it's an action I hit a lot, especially in the MIDI editor. Generally actions I perform a lot are bound to keys without modifiers.

Last edited by tack; 12-14-2019 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:41 AM   #29
juliansader

Quote:
The Multi tool has its own undo/redo function, which is triggered by clicking or mousewheeling on the zones in the far left. (In the GIF above, they are colored red and green.) BTW, I notice that these squares aren't drawn properly on macOS, even though they still work fine -- I will fix that in the next update.

Quote:
I can perhaps do that. At the moment, most keys will terminate the script, except Shift, which overrides snapping.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:55 AM   #30
juliansader

Quote:
Some nice addition would be if we could also scale both of the minimum and maximum values at the same time, from the horizontal or vertical zones.

An example of this effect could be like scaling the left side to the left and the right side to the right at the same time, and the opposite.
Right-clicking while scaling values will toggle between one-sided mode and symmetrical mode. Is this what you are referring to?
Old 12-14-2019, 07:12 AM   #31
Vagelis

Quote:
Right-clicking while scaling values will toggle between one-sided mode and symmetrical mode. Is this what you are referring to?
You 're right i was talking about symmetrical mode! Didn't see that, it is great!
But i can't do the same horizontally when i scale the left or right side, which it would be great. Or am i missing something ?

For example when we drag from left or right, to move both of the sides symmetrically.

Last edited by Vagelis; 12-14-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:25 AM   #32
Vagelis

Also it would be great if symmetrical mode was also available for tilt.

Here's a video from ableton's new automation features that shows the symmetrical tilt at 0:42.

https://youtu.be/TY5UuK6T7R0?t=30.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:29 AM   #33
lowellben

Quote:
Hi Julian.
I try right clicking on certain scaling drags but nothing seems to be different. I don't see any errors but I can't see any different behavior vs. no right click at all.

Can you give an example on how to visually see the effect of right clicking while scaling? Thanks!
Old 12-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #34
Vagelis

Quote:
Hi Julian.
I try right clicking on certain scaling drags but nothing seems to be different. I don't see any errors but I can't see any different behavior vs. no right click at all.

Can you give an example on how to visually see the effect of right clicking while scaling? Thanks!
Hi lowellben, in order to change to symmetrical mode, you have to hold the left click while you are clicking the right click. here's an example:

Old 12-14-2019, 10:25 AM   #35
tack

Quote:
The Multi tool has its own undo/redo function, which is triggered by clicking or mousewheeling on the zones in the far left.
The scrollwheel trick is useful to know. Although IMO the more intuitive interface is that I could hover over either of the undo zones and scrolling down will undo a level, and scrolling up will redo (if applicable). As it is now, scrollwheel direction isn't relevant and one must target the specific undo or redo box.

In any case, the undo muscle memory is so deeply ingrained -- the 'z' key is just fractions away from my left pinky at any moment -- and requiring a special exception to the cognitive mapping of undoing the last action to that motion is going to be generate some ongoing minimal frustration, I expect.

But the alternative is probably to passthrough keys to the MIDI editor, and this has always been annoyingly difficult. (Possible, I think, now with your js_ReaScriptAPI, but still way more difficult than it ought to be, last time I took a stab at it, to handle all the modifier keys.) So I can understand if my fate is to live with that slight annoyance of undo behavior.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:02 AM   #36
euphor

Hey guys, can anybody please explain in detail how to configure all the different scripts?

I created a toolbar with different scripts, and would like to arm a script, press a key, and use the script.

I saw this method in a youtube video. This guy align one key to all scripts.

How to do that?
euphor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #37
juliansader

Please check out the instructions in the script files, which can be read with the ReaPack browser's "About" function, or by opening the script file in any text editor, including REAPER's built-in IDE.

If anything in the instructions is unclear, please let me know so that I can improve it!

NOTE: I recommend using keyboard shortcuts rather than toolbar buttons for a fast, smooth workflow.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #38
EvilDragon

Multitool bug: when right-clicking a region to pick a color, and pressing cancel in the color picker, the region goes black always.

Also colors don't seem to persist after the script is terminated.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:47 PM   #39
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Multitool bug: when right-clicking a region to pick a color, and pressing cancel in the color picker, the region goes black always.
I will try to handle this more gracefully in the next update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Also colors don't seem to persist after the script is terminated.
Oops! Will fix this. In the meantime, you can go to line 955 and change "Settfings" to "Settings".
Old 12-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #40
EvilDragon

Ehehe, typos are bastards!

BTW I'd kinda wish if undo/redo regions were closer to the transform area.

(Also, color picker - same thing happens if you press cancel, or X button - just FYI in case you need to handle it separately!)
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote