Old 03-12-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
saresu.bass
Human being with feelings

Default Record: MIDI problems

In any of Record:MIDI mode(overdub, replace, touch-replace), Reaper simply doesnt respond to my keyboard properly, it doesnt record the notes in the moment I play, instead, it records on a different time or ignores some notes while recording other notes.

Recording MIDI on Reaper simply became impossible, It makes a mess while Im performing.

Is this a bug? Whats wrong with that?
saresu.bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
saresu.bass

nothing?
Old 03-13-2012, 02:29 AM   #3
ivansc

Hardly anyone realises the MIDI etc section is actually here. I dont have an answer for you but hopefully someone will soon.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:33 AM   #4
Win Conway

You may need to provide more information (Which MIDI interface/Which interface prefs you have set, so on and so forth)
I doubt this will go unanswered for long (Ollie at cockos is somewhat of a MIDI set up wizzard )
Old 03-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
saresu.bass

I appreciate ur replies.

Before record MIDI: touch replace was working good... this started after upgrading to Reaper 4.

I use a Fast track pro as MIDI. should I send screenshots of my Preferences window?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
chrisharbin

haha, I just discovered the "midi" section.

When you say Fast track pro as MIDI, do you mean you have something like a synth and are doing midi from there?
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
haha, I just discovered the "midi" section.

When you say Fast track pro as MIDI, do you mean you have something like a synth and are doing midi from there?
yes, I use it as a MIDI interface.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
dea-man

Default Perhaps...

...what driver are you using (Asio?) and what is the buffer set at?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
XITE-1/4LIVE

Well many here might disagree but I use such large amount of MIDI data there's no possible way I could ever use USB except to use for powering up a controller, which is still possible even when I disable the port in the Device Manager for that particular channel.
Internal MIDI like LoopBe 1 is very good as it doesnt fall prey to magnetism and is an intenal digital connection so it can take advantage of the boasted bandwidth specs which we never will see on cables, even with powered Hubs.
The dropping of notes isn't even a MIDI problem, it's a USB problem.
I've seen this many times and can only say that you still need a mains powered USB hub, But you need MIDI that is connected via PCI 32bit, but PCI-e 1X is the best possible MIDI you can get. 100% stable and perfect playback in Reaper. Oddly Cubase cannot handle the amount of lighting controller data I use. We have dimmer packs long throw 14bit faders, many of the MIDI 2 spec 0-16000 resolution, so splitting up the MIDI threads doesn't even matter in Reaper, I use one thread in 96k @ .07msec latency using 64 ASIO channels. Maybe just a cheap 32bit MIDI card or a PCI-e 1X would really kick up the jams, but USB MIDI is the biggest rip off I've seen unless the chipset is USB 3,0 as well as the peripherrals.
I saw USB 3.0 RAID sticks at CES 2010/2011 and it was streaming sample libraries from a 64GB USB stick, so they have got the audio workable at USB 3.0, but you can still use the fast track by having the USB as the power instead of a wall wart, and even disable that port in Device Manager, so the other ports get priority, then have the MIDI from the fast track go into a MIDI PCI card which could even be a cheap old soundcard.

Just my 2 cents as I use DAWS, hardware and Lighting 6 nights a week w/o failure.One screw up and I am pounced on by the band, stage crew and management. Move on to a better solution if at all possible.

There's very few things I am really knowledgable at, this topic happens to be one.
Funny thing is I have 2 x old Digital Music Dorporations MX-8's I bought. One was the spare, it's been an unused spare for 22 years now...
I have learned that the less a DAW does with plug ins, the less troubles I have, I have Kontakt automated to play along with the prerecord seques and lighting, it's a solid host and best playback of MIDI I have used since I switched from hardrware sequencers of yore.

Good Luck.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
dea-man

Default Um....yeah.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by XITE-1/4LIVE View Post
Well many here might disagree but I use such large amount of MIDI data there's no possible way I could ever use USB except to use for powering up a controller, which is still possible even when I disable the port in the Device Manager for that particular channel.
Internal MIDI like LoopBe 1 is very good as it doesnt fall prey to magnetism and is an intenal digital connection so it can take advantage of the boasted bandwidth specs which we never will see on cables, even with powered Hubs.
I've seen this many times and can only say that you still need a mains powered USB hub, But you need MIDI that is connected via PCI 32bit, but PCI-e 1X is the best possible MIDI you can get. 100% stable and perfect playback in Reaper. Oddly Cubase cannot handle the amount of lighting controller data I use. We have dimmer packs long throw 14bit faders, many of the MIDI 2 spec 0-16000 resolution, so splitting up the MIDI threads doesn't even matter in Reaper, I use one thread in 96k @ .07msec latency using 64 ASIO channels. Maybe just a cheap 32bit MIDI card or a PCI-e 1X would really kick up the jams, but USB MIDI is the biggest rip off I've seen unless the chipset is USB 3,0 as well as the peripherrals.
I saw USB 3.0 RAID sticks at CES 2010/2011 and it was streaming sample libraries from a 64GB USB stick, so they have got the audio workable at USB 3.0, but you can still use the fast track by having the USB as the power instead of a wall wart, and even disable that port in Device Manager, so the other ports get priority, then have the MIDI from the fast track go into a MIDI PCI card which could even be a cheap old soundcard.

Just my 2 cents as I use DAWS, hardware and Lighting 6 nights a week w/o failure.One screw up and I am pounced on by the band, stage crew and management. Move on to a better solution if at all possible.

There's very few things I am really knowledgable at, this topic happens to be one.
Funny thing is I have 2 x old Digital Music Dorporations MX-8's I bought. One was the spare, it's been an unused spare for 22 years now...
I have learned that the less a DAW does with plug ins, the less troubles I have, I have Kontakt automated to play along with the prerecord seques and lighting, it's a solid host and best playback of MIDI I have used since I switched from hardrware sequencers of yore.

Good Luck.
...what he said.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #11
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saresu.bass View Post
In any of Record:MIDI mode(overdub, replace, touch-replace), Reaper simply doesnt respond to my keyboard properly, it doesnt record the notes in the moment I play, instead, it records on a different time or ignores some notes while recording other notes.

Recording MIDI on Reaper simply became impossible, It makes a mess while Im performing.

Is this a bug? Whats wrong with that?

Is that happening during recording (so the notes you're monitoring are already off) or after recording?

- If the latter is the case, can you check your MIDI editor if Options->"Automatically correct overlapping notes" is checked by chance?

- If you get that while you play the keyboard, can you open ReaControlMIDI on your input track and click "show log" in order to check the MIDI input stream for odd/stray/doubled data?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
PeWe

Quote:
Confirmed !
That´s why I ditched my Midex-8 USB MIDI interface !

Quote:
I've seen this many times and can only say that you still need a mains powered USB hub,
That´s what I use,- a D-Link USB2 high speed powered hub w/ 4 ports,- but using ONE USB controller in Windows only.

Quote:
But you need MIDI that is connected via PCI 32bit, but PCI-e 1X is the best possible MIDI you can get. 100% stable and perfect playback in Reaper.
100% stable results w/ low latency and jitter via LTP port here :-)
I use old MusicQuest (Opcode) 8portSE 8x8 interfaces w/ Earthvegaconnections driver, available for WinXP32Bit and 64Bit.

Will use XITE-1 PCIe MIDI in addition once I´ve got my Scope 5.1 keys,- still waiting since 2 weeks ... :-(

But for the guys not using Scope and XITE-1 (1D), there´s the option to buy cheap PCI /PCIe LTP port cards to throw in in any modern machine.
IMO, usage of PCI vs PCIe for MIDI makes no difference because the MIDI Baud Rate is always the same,- so it´s all about NOT using USB because of jitter, latency, drivers and data package transfers.

Quote:
Good you haven´t thrown these into the bin,- these old devices are far more superior than all the new crap.
I´m fine w/ my Miditemp PMM88E and Sycologic matrix switchers as frontends for hardware MIDI gear since decades.
Combination w/ DAW MIDI interface is a breeze.

Quote:

Good Luck.
Well, we´re a bit lucky guys w/ our XITE-1s,- so we don´t have to run too much VST synths and FX natively,- just only a streaming sample player.

:-)

PeWe
Intel DC 3.86GHz, 4GB PC800 Mushkin Redline, WinXP Pro 32Bit SP3, NVidia 9500, 3x WD Caviar Black 640GB, Sonic Core XITE-1 & SCOPE 5.1, Nuendo8 I/O, Nuendo TimelockPro, MQ8portSE, Tannoy DTM-8, Bryston3B Pro, Alesis M1 mkII, Alesis RA150.
PeWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:38 AM   #13
ivansc

Akai ME80P sitting in my rack and likely to stay there. Ultra ultra flexible and 100% reliable.

I suppose if I ever retire my Amiga and also no longer have the need to access my hardware MIDI stuff it would go, but otherwise, never.

Cannot praise these highly enough.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote