Old 06-11-2006, 09:25 AM   #41
fluffy
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex zonder
But of course, all talk about is workflow the days.
Creativity however might be something else, something quite rare...
How true this is!

When there were obstacles in the way of obtaining a sound in one's head, one had to CREATE that sound. Nowadays it's just a couple of clicks away, and look at the state of modern popular music. Not so good.

EDIT: By the way, if anyone has not listened to Jason's music, do so! He's very good, and certainly doesn't seem to rely on studio trickery to achieve creative results. He simply makes great music!

Last edited by fluffy; 06-11-2006 at 09:30 AM.
fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:23 AM   #42
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

(this post will be very messy, as i try to reply to Jason, ALex, and enzymex)

/ Reaper handling everything /
I suscribe to Jason.
Multiple import/export from one daw to another are so boring, useless and a lack of time. I don't want to make a midi pattern in a program, save it, close it, open another one, locate the file, open it, etc.
I mean the solution proposed by ALex Zonder requires 3 apps to make a simple beat ! It sounds crazy to me ! Free or not : In such a case, this is not the DAW that is bloated, but your computer !
I don't see the use if it comes as a 'second hand'. WHen you want to travel fast, you try to take a direct flight, and not going 'from Fruity loops to Audition via REaper via Live and back again'...In that case, one of the 'in-between app' will be getting rid of, and i would like to be sure it won't be REaper !

/ REaper having his own instruments /
I think that a tool to make a note every 4 bars or a step sequencer isn't really needed. This woudl be funny, indeed, but nothing more to a gadget to me. Nothing urgent.
You have a lot of free drumsamplers doing such a thing if you're after x0x-style pattern sequencing, and they should work fine in REaper (try the drumsource, or Xoxo's drumsampler mimicing Hammerhead, or even a ioplong plugin does that).

in a general way, I'm not favorable at Reaper having his own instruments (even if i'm after a good working drumsynth), to let people make their own custom choice among the thousands available.
But an instrument is not the same than a DAW/sequencer.
I'd like REaper to be able everything from A to Z (this doesn't mean at all being bloated !).

/ ABout the 'REason Fear' vs the wish of having x0x-style pattern sequencing/

Reason is midi only, and pattern-based sequencer. This is not at all the purpose of Reaper, and i wouldn't like to see REaper mimicing Reason in Anyway!

Maybe the misunderstanding can come from our musical background.
I think most of the REaper's team are guitarists, don't make pattern music, mightn't listen to a lot of electronic music made with electronic instruments, and maybe conceive such tools as some kind of a 'replacement' for a 'real band' (i might be wrong, and ther's nothing bad about such a thing).
In one side,i don't think that this is the way we conceive the things.
On the other side, I think that being interested in Midi & VSTI doesn't mean falling in every techno cliché (a tb-303 like synth, 2 patterns in a 808 way, 16 patterns and one cutoff automation ! ). THis can be fun, and people can already do that, een if less quick than in FL for example. But Reaper can do much more than this of course.

Electronic/midi music is very heterogeneous, and goes from basic techno (using pattern / REason-style) to extreme drill & bass with constantly evolving sounds, adn trying to find the inner logic of their instruments (icluding the DAW).
It woudl be terrible if REaper was like REason. I do prefer REaper to Acid because i can tweak many more things, it is less static (clips can be sliced/stretched/moved from their original track,etc.) : it let's you move everything, and for the audio part edit everything in a very accurate way. I basically think it has to be able to do the same for midi.
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:55 AM   #43
hello

midi? bring it on . that´s it!
hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:24 PM   #44
alex zonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic
(this post will be very messy, as i try to reply to Jason, ALex, and enzymex)
I mean the solution proposed by ALex Zonder requires 3 apps to make a simple beat ! It sounds crazy to me !
Sink, you'll correct me when I'm wrong, but take that example of creating a MIDI beat/drum pattern. If you use the free DrumFlow, I count 2 apps: DF and REAPER. Say in REAPER track one you select midiyoke1 as input; in DF the same as output. Two windows, two apps, and REAPER records and saves the pattern(s) you create in DF.

Is that really a time-consuming detour? What is the difference between creating patterns in the DF window (or in EXT for instance) and creating patterns in a REAPER drum grid window? I simply do not see that, and not because I wouldn't WANT to see that.

With regards to the importance of MIDI for music composition I'm fully on your side. Months ago I already wrote something about that in this forum; for me MIDI is essentially a composer's language, and that's why I mentioned modern composers such as Steve Reich - MIDI is not about techno / contemporary dance music but much broader than that. I'm pretty sure Johann S. Bach would have been an enormous midifreak.

I like REAPER as a superb tool for all kinds of musicians, composers, recording engineers etc.; and as such I see a big difference with FLStudio or Cakewalk's Project 5 that really seem to have been developed to serve dance music characterized by pattern repetitions. Yes, I do think that a drum grid is against REAPER's character.
alex zonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:51 PM   #45
sinkmusic

Well, you're obviously right...
But i might be superstitious or i don't know what, but I'd like to be able to say 'Yes, Reaper handles this'. Not about anything of course (it can't do everything that Ext, Live, FL, SOnar, Tacktion, Cubase, Acid, Audition does, and doesn't aims at it), but for such a basic operation as making a beat, i see it as a lack if it needs a third-party application and virtual cable.
I mean, Reaper needs to be able to do the quite 'common' things most of the musician needs, and i don't want to use virtual midi ports, etc. If Reaper comes with its own virtual audio port, then it should maybe also be able to send midi data...

I guess that without being particularly aware of that, i must be against the "Reaper doesn't handle that ? Nevermind, that free&buggy app does it !", because then everybody would find an app that does anything Reaper doesn't, and then ou don't need it anymore.
We're in such a point with free VST/daw and internet, you can find a list of at least 30 free software for any of your needs. SOme are buggy, some are very good, but when you go on for making a new app, you try to put inside everything you think is needed (AND trying not to bloat it with gadget to keep it simple, efficient, light...).
So, DF might do the trick, i don't really doubt about it. But i'd like better that Reaper itself handles that.
I also own Live5, an Live5 is perfect at making beats on the fly (and i guess VirtualMidi Cable MidiYoke would be a great add to my station, but, i don't know... i never did. I might be afraid ?!)
Old 06-11-2006, 01:01 PM   #46
hello

"I like REAPER as a superb tool for all kinds of musicians, composers, recording engineers etc.; and as such I see a big difference with FLStudio or Cakewalk's Project 5 that really seem to have been developed to serve dance music characterized by pattern repetitions."

.. i don´t use flstudio, but i got to say is a good program too, and that sentence you made is wrongh, i now people that make some amazing alternative indie dance electronic whatever good good music with it. my future is energyXT and Reaper. i don´t need patterns , but i want better midi.
hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:10 PM   #47
alex zonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello
.. i don´t use flstudio, but i got to say is a good program too, and that sentence you made is wrongh, i now people that make some amazing alternative indie dance electronic whatever good good music with it. my future is energyXT and Reaper. i don´t need patterns , but i want better midi.
Sure FLStudio is a very good program, and the lesser known Project 5 might be even better (certainly v.2); and sure these can be used for creating all kinds of music. But just think of the second word in 'Fruity Loops'; I suppose it's safe to say that FL was in its original development aimed at music making in a specific genre. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

And to sink: sure I understand your "Reaper doesn't handle that" argument. But aren't so many people against Microsoft exactly because Gates' company wishes and pretends to handle it all? There's two sides to it.

Last edited by alex zonder; 06-11-2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:39 PM   #48
EnzymeX

This is a very interesting thread. I must admit I was somewhat surprised to see strong reaction to the suggestion of creating a simple form of step sequencing as part of the Reaper MIDI implementation.

My perspective: I am an "ex-semi-pro" musician that gigged live for many years. I'm now in my mid 40's, and use looping hosts to create ambient, prog rock, and, yes, DANCEable tunes on occasion.

I'm not big on sterile, all quantized 16 beat everything, but even if I was, that should not matter.

I agree that Reaper should not be a "beat box". However, my definition of a beatbox is an all in one program that contains soft samplers, MPC interface elements, canned audio loops, canned MIDI loops, etc. That is bloat that could take away focus on core features needed for MIDI/DAW engine.

I also would have no issue if Reaper was an audio only program with no VSTi support at all. In fact, with the addition of ReWire and the stabilization of ReaRoute, it could easily hit that "sweet spot" for me that would let me trash my bloated linear audio DAW and my Audio editor program.

However, Reaper is not aiming to be an audio only sequencer. It is clearly aiming for the Audio/MIDI hybrid market. Once a program plays in that space, the demand for step sequening / quantizing facilities are inevitable.

I disagree with anyone who views all quantization as "sterile". Quantized Rythms can create a hypnotic undertone that is right for certain tunes. You can always automate other elements to provide the movement. Step Sequencing is just a tool, not a philosophy.

The Bottom line is, if I want a quantized beat today, I need to create the midi in another program and import into Reaper. IMO if the user has to create some midi inside the program, and some outside, the "sweet spot" for the MIDI side is not achieved.

Again, I don't want instruments, content, or loops in Reaper. Just an environment I can stay in during the creative process that humbly fades into the background and lets the creative process work on it's own.

Last edited by EnzymeX; 06-11-2006 at 01:55 PM.
EnzymeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #49
sinkmusic

Hi ENzymeX

I'm afraid i don't get you quite clearly :

- quantize is already here (try [ctrl+Q] ). Of course quantize is needed . If you want to quantize while recording, i know there is such a plugin to do that.

- And for the step seq stuff, i was thinking you were talking of some kind of module, like Stepbeater or a tr-x0x clone, plugged before a VSTI.
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1591.html
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2020.html
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/675.html

If not, then you can use the midi editor to edit your midi clip and use it as a step-sequencer.

Nothing wrong with dance music, of course !
Old 06-11-2006, 02:09 PM   #50
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Why not use a free program like DrumFlow for instance?
http://tnikolai.nm.ru/df-features.html
Connect it to REAPER via midiyoke and you're done. You could even use it as a midi source for other VSTi's:
http://tnikolai.nm.ru/df-loopback.html

AWESOME!!!
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:20 PM   #51
EnzymeX

Quote:
Hi ENzymeX

I'm afraid i don't get you quite clearly :

- quantize is already here (try [ctrl+Q] ). Of course quantize is needed . If you want to quantize while recording, i know there is such a plugin to do that.

- And for the step seq stuff, i was thinking you were talking of some kind of module, like Stepbeater or a tr-x0x clone, plugged before a VSTI.
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1591.html
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2020.html
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/675.html

If not, then you can use the midi editor to edit your midi clip and use it as a step-sequencer.

Nothing wrong with dance music, of course !
We have quantize in Reaper? WooHoo!! I'm doing a (mechanized) dance around the office!!

But, Ctrl-Q invokes the "quit program" command in .961. Also, I don't see quantize command listed in keyboard shortcuts. Where is it?

Also, thanks for the links - I'll check them out with my DR-008 VSTi to see if these will work.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:22 PM   #52
fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzymeX

But, Ctrl-Q invokes the quit program command in .961. Also, I don't see quantize command listed in keyboard shortcuts. Where is it?
In the midi editor.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #53
EnzymeX

Aha! Thanks fluffy.

It's pretty cool that we have so many keyboard shortcut commands that some need to be used twice in Reaper. No shortage of options for sure...
Old 06-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #54
alex zonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzymeX
Also, thanks for the links - I'll check them out with my DR-008 VSTi to see if these will work.
I also use the DR-008; here it works fine
Old 06-11-2006, 02:31 PM   #55
EnzymeX

Quote:
I also use the DR-008; here it works fine
Excellent! Also, thanks for the link to Drumflow - I've got lots of stuff to check out tonight...
Old 06-11-2006, 03:18 PM   #56
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Jason, I suppose I have an opposite perception and experience of creativity. Creativity is a specific way of dealing with obstacles, difficulties, hardly to solve problems... In another thread some time ago we discussed the famous Dr. Who theme and how that was made. I think it was Art who sighed 'those were the days...': a lot of inventiveness, labour and time went into solving problems that now require one mouse click.

But of course, all talk about is workflow the days.
Creativity however might be something else, something quite rare...
actually, i see your point (the beatles come to mind, bouncing tracks and splicing tape -- not exactly a nice workflow)
but i dont think having the features requested will be a burden to anyone who doesnt need them --

and since im not the beatles, I like to be able to get my ideas, MIDI and audio, down immediately, before i forget them or get lost in trying to figure out how to make 2 programs communicate.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #57
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy
How true this is!

When there were obstacles in the way of obtaining a sound in one's head, one had to CREATE that sound. Nowadays it's just a couple of clicks away, and look at the state of modern popular music. Not so good.
yes, but most of the times, these clicks are used to mask a performers lack of talent. Its different when you are mixing a song, have a BFD drumbeat going off of a midi you composed, and want to be able to

1. alter the sound of the drums
2. change the composition of the drums

in the same program.

Its really not complicated or exaggerated, to have these abilities within the same host.

Time easily kills creativity. You need to get your ideas down ASAP --

Quote:

EDIT: By the way, if anyone has not listened to Jason's music, do so! He's very good, and certainly doesn't seem to rely on studio trickery to achieve creative results. He simply makes great music!
thanks

but i have much more up my sleeve, thats old stuff -- and im not totally proud of all the sounds.... you just like my singer
Old 06-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #58
sinkmusic

Quote:
FUnny. I think exactly the opposite.
Everyday new records comes out with an amazing amount of exciting things. I don't talk about charts, but true composers with greats ideas and the will to make what they really wish/like/have in their head...
Nowadays, the tools to make the music you imagine seem bigger to me, and the cerativity might be elsewhere, but more tools= more ways. WIth spectral/granular/buffer plugins, which are true digital, a new dimension in sound is born, and many music makers use it. But also as much exciting people can make truely new stuff with old tools and instruments, just new ideas.
The good ones are not the ones who take one preset on the NI hype synth and gathers it with a mangled beat, but the one who really get involved in their very own ideas, whatever the tools are, and also can get the best out of their gear, because the gear they use is the one they need -and they are pletny to me !-
Old 06-11-2006, 03:41 PM   #59
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
FUnny. I think exactly the opposite.
Everyday new records comes out with an amazing amount of exciting things. I don't talk about charts, but true composers with greats ideas and the will to make what they really wish/like/have in their head...
Nowadays, the tools to make the music you imagine seem bigger to me, and the cerativity might be elsewhere, but more tools= more ways. WIth spectral/granular/buffer plugins, which are true digital, a new dimension in sound is born, and many music makers use it. But also as much exciting people can make truely new stuff with old tools and instruments, just new ideas.
The good ones are not the ones who take one preset on the NI hype synth and gathers it with a mangled beat, but the one who really get involved in their very own ideas, whatever the tools are, and also can get the best out of their gear, because the gear they use is the one they need -and they are pletny to me !-
but the point too is, once you have all of those tools, tweaked and ready -- you need somewhere to put em!! and quick!!! compositionally, I need to be able to throw a beat down and play my guitar over it.

Waiting 15-20 minutes extra to use another program inbetween just isnt acceptable.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:07 PM   #60
sinkmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill
but the point too is, once you have all of those tools, tweaked and ready -- you need somewhere to put em!! and quick!!! compositionally, I need to be able to throw a beat down and play my guitar over it.

Waiting 15-20 minutes extra to use another program inbetween just isnt acceptable.
yes !
So we neeeeeeeeeeed that tiny midi editor, AND fixing the first-note/bassdrum bug when playing a drumloop, AND (mostly) midi loop recording
Old 06-11-2006, 04:16 PM   #61
Art Evans
Mortal

In my songwriting days, if I had an idea I wanted to get down quick, I'd sing it into one of those crappy microcassette dictation recorders, and then I'd sit down at my Casio keyboard with its four available sounds and do the rest onto a four track cassette. I stopped doing it when the choices available from the equipment around me brought me to a standstill creatively.

I guess I'd be at my most creative if equipped with a stick to bang against a log!
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 04:45 PM   #62
fluffy

Quote:

.... you just like my singer
While that is most certainly true ( ), I LOVE the sound of your recordings! Certain styles to me have certain sounds (in my head). Some of your recordings have SO closely nailed the sound I like for THAT style of music, it just fits wonderfully!
Old 06-11-2006, 04:52 PM   #63
alex zonder

Art, it is with a sense of great relief from all the digital noise surrounding us, that I regularly listen to John Cage's Suite For Toy Piano.

And I still like banging sticks against anything that produces sound! BTW do you still have that CASIO? It's cult now.

Do start songwriting again, Art. REAPER is such an invitation!
Old 06-11-2006, 11:03 PM   #64
malcolmj

Quote:
Maybe the misunderstanding can come from our musical background.
I think most of the REaper's team are guitarists, don't make pattern music, mightn't listen to a lot of electronic music made with electronic instruments, and maybe conceive such tools as some kind of a 'replacement' for a 'real band' (i might be wrong, and ther's nothing bad about such a thing).
In one side,i don't think that this is the way we conceive the things.
On the other side, I think that being interested in Midi & VSTI doesn't mean falling in every techno cliché (a tb-303 like synth, 2 patterns in a 808 way, 16 patterns and one cutoff automation ! ). THis can be fun, and people can already do that, een if less quick than in FL for example. But Reaper can do much more than this of course.
As a proud owner of Reason and FL Studio, and a keyboard player / "electronic" musician by choice, I'd like to clear up any misconception that there might be an anti-MIDI bias in REAPER development. While the focus is currently on audio, MIDI development is under way. Considering Justin and Christophe have only been working on REAPER for a short time, I find it amazing that it has ANY MIDI support at this stage. Compare what it has now to where FL Studio (then Fruity Loops) was prior to version 1.0. Getting these features takes TIME. I won't be expecting REAPER to match any other programs MIDI features prior to v1.0 (but I am happy to be surprised if they do).

Bugs aside, the main improvement I'd like to see in the current MIDI editor is to have it synced to the main Transport/Timeline. Long term, I'd like to see inline editing.

I really like the mockup of the MIDI editor you've done. It would be great it something like that could be ready for v1.0, but considering it's almost the middle of June and Justin is thinking of a mid-August release date I'd be surprised if that's achieveable, along with the other features and bug fixes that are already in the pipeline (no pun intended).

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:17 AM   #65
Amether

If the main issue is the assigning of particular drums to particular midi notes (I know this problem well) why not just allow the piano keys on the left to be labelled? This would allow it to be used for other stuff too, not just drums - say if you're using a particular note to trigger a sample or whatever. It'd be like those bits of tape you may stick to keys.

EDIT: And as for the creativity discussion - you always change your way of working to what you have at your disposal. I used to use soundfonts contstantly, but rarely do now, just because it's another program away. It's changed the sound of my music. For good or bad is not possible to say. You work with what you've got.

Since using Reaper I've hardly reversed anything. Which is a shame, actually.

Last edited by Amether; 06-12-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Amether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #66
sinkmusic

Malcolm >
Quote:
I'd like to clear up any misconception that there might be an anti-MIDI bias in REAPER development.
Don't worry, i did not think such a thing !

Quote:
Considering Justin and Christophe have only been working on REAPER for a short time, I find it amazing that it has ANY MIDI support at this stage.
True.
BUT

Quote:
Compare what it has now to where FL Studio (then Fruity Loops) was prior to version 1.0. Getting these features takes TIME. I won't be expecting REAPER to match any other programs MIDI features prior to v1.0 (but I am happy to be surprised if they do).
I must admitt i'm more 'in a hurry' (can't find the correct english term, to say i'd like to see decent midi editor asap) than you.
And it is a bit cionsidering the things from a developer's point of view, and not really from a user's point of view, who doesn't care since when the development has started and just want 'everything right now' (i know it is a bastard point of view, and acting just like a 'customer', but if you want to make a commercial DAW, you HAVE to take in consideration the slow-brain guy, coming in a shop and asking for 'what's best/new/rocking', and for who 'being not very good with midi because it's still new' is not an argument. I mean it might be very difficult to make it come back and have a look at Reaper later if you didn't hooked him up at the first sight. I know this is only commercial consideration, but i think that even if it is the worst point of view it has to be taken into consideration).

And when Fl was version 1, we must rememeber what as available : Reaktor was still called 'Generator', to make electrnoic music, you could use nehanderthal tools like the funny but very features-closed 'rebirth' or ugly midi programs, spend hours on 'rubberduck' or 'hammerhead'.
EnergyXT, Muzys, Live, Acid4, tracktion, etc. All those audio+ midi app did not exist yet... And it was 10 years ago, running on P2@366mhz with 128ram.. !
Now, every 'serious' app has come midi : Acid was very long to come to it, but has integrated it since many years now (at least 3), and so does Live with a nicez success, compared to Acid.

I personnally do use midi a lot, and really need it to fullfill my musical goals. I previously had the use to make midi using Fruity loops, exporting it to audio and sequencing it in Live, but now i need to have a dAW handling it from the beginning to the end (which doesn't mean i'll stop to use also Live).

And one of the reason that made me switch to REaper is that Acid was really crap with midi and VSTI, and since v0,951 Reaper was already better than acid in using VSTI (and less slow to implement improvements !iIt took many years to Acid to give first access to midi, but it is a sh_t at doing this !).

Reaper really needs soon to be at least as good/better as Acid or Tracktion. I know the goal isn't to be compared to Live or Fruity Loops, and I'll never compare it to these ones, but at least to me it must let the user to record a beat and edit all midi events (not only notes).
Else, midi will just be some kind of 'super karaoke player'... and no creation tool for musical purposes.

Quote:
I really like the mockup of the MIDI editor you've done.
Thank you

Quote:
It would be great it something like that could be ready for v1.0, but considering it's almost the middle of June and Justin is thinking of a mid-August release date I'd be surprised if that's achieveable, along with the other features and bug fixes that are already in the pipeline (no pun intended).
I know this would be difficult, but i would REALLY like that it coudl be available sooner than v1, even if made the calculation that with a new version each week (which is already ultra fast), it would take again one more year to reach v1,00 !

I know this will be hard to be ready with midi in one or two months, and i really don't know if it is Justin's goal, but i know at least it is my wish, to be at least able to record a beat properly, and edit other events than notes in the midi editor.

Midi learn and other stuff can of course be done later, but to me, as soon as the app accepts midi in ports and vstis, it has to handle it in a decent way for v1,00...

Amether >
Quote:
If the main issue is the assigning of particular drums to particular midi notes (I know this problem well) why not just allow the piano keys on the left to be labelled?
Yes. Definitively sounds as a good idea to me.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:03 AM   #67
Magpel

Man, I love Reaper, but I can't even FIND the limited MIDI editor that people speak of...

Okay, but my FR is this: I am getting a lot of hung notes with Softsynths. I can live that as long as there is a prominently displayed "all notes off" or panic button.

Does Reaper have something like this and I am just missing it?

Thanks and keep up the extraordinary work!
Magpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:36 AM   #68
Art Evans
Mortal

Ctrl/alt/e brings up the midi editor. Or select the option in the right-click menu when you click on an item.

All notes off is sent on stop, I think.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:47 AM   #69
Magpel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
Ctrl/alt/e brings up the midi editor. Or select the option in the right-click menu when you click on an item.

All notes off is sent on stop, I think.
Thanks for the info.

Stop is certainly not curing my probably with hung notes. Nothing short of removing the softsynth or closing Reaper has been able to do that.
Magpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:19 AM   #70
fluffy

By the way, there is also the option to have the editor open when doubleclicking an item.

Preferences/Editing/Doubleclicking items....

(it's the very last option on the page)
Old 06-13-2006, 12:07 PM   #71
EnzymeX

I agree that Panic buttons are invaluable, since some VSTi's are just plain finicky.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #72
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpel
Stop is certainly not curing my probably with hung notes. Nothing short of removing the softsynth or closing Reaper has been able to do that.
REAPER sends an "all notes off" command each time Stop is pressed. This function works properly on my machine. Could you post an example of a MIDI file where the notes aren't stopping so we can try and track down the problem you're having?

Unfortunately there is still a problem with notes being held in the MIDI buffer, which doesn't clear on the Stop function. You can record a MIDI track, play it back, then Record-arm the Track again (from Stop) and notes will sound from the buffer. Perhaps this is what you're experiencing?
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:55 PM   #73
Youn

Well whatever this is, I have the same problem in Logic using Kontakt... and even the panic button does not work then.

I've found that replaying a bit of midi back sometimes cures it, or opening the vsti (or whatever) and manually re-triggering the hung notes.

In any case this seems to be a bug in alot of other software I've used also... sticky situation I suppose
Youn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:22 PM   #74
Jae.Thomas

note being labeled:

+1

but also, accepting a vstis natural note names!!!

BFD for instance, reports all of the note names to the host.. and FLstudio shows them!

as we see here, when a vsti with note names opens up, it immediately uses a different piano roll mode -- you can switch back to the keyboard if you want, but this mode is ideal for drum machine editing.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:24 PM   #75
Jae.Thomas

also, when you click on the leftmost side of the piano roll, it plays the lower velocities, the right side, the higher-- this is quite helpful, and would be nice if reaper did it.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:51 PM   #76
Andywanders

Default An idea...

Just a thought regarding the MIDI editor: Apart from all the usual stuff that a MIDI editor needs (CC, Velocity etc), I think it would be cool to make REAPER's MIDI editor available at the bottom of the screen on a tab, like the Mixer and Explorer.

That way, it could be open all the time, easily re-sized and maybe it could be possible to go from one MIDI item to another and the editor updates (linked). Maybe even select several MIDI items at once and edit them all.

Seamless MIDI editing for those that need it, and just disable the view if it's not required.

Cheers, Andy M.
Andywanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #77
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andywanders
Just a thought regarding the MIDI editor: Apart from all the usual stuff that a MIDI editor needs (CC, Velocity etc), I think it would be cool to make REAPER's MIDI editor available at the bottom of the screen on a tab, like the Mixer and Explorer.

That way, it could be open all the time, easily re-sized and maybe it could be possible to go from one MIDI item to another and the editor updates (linked). Maybe even select several MIDI items at once and edit them all.

Seamless MIDI editing for those that need it, and just disable the view if it's not required.

Cheers, Andy M.

excellent idea here!!!!
Old 06-15-2006, 10:29 PM   #78
Andywanders

Quote:
excellent idea here!!!!
Thanks. I think so too. In fact, the more I use REAPER, the more I would like to see this idea implemented. Would you mind mentioning it to Justin next time?

Cheers, Andy M.
Andywanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:32 PM   #79
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Thanks. I think so too. In fact, the more I use REAPER, the more I would like to see this idea implemented. Would you mind mentioning it to Justin next time?

Cheers, Andy M.
hehe, I mention so much to him already -- why not join us in the chat? You would be a welcome voice there. Im not a mediator
to the god of software development (Jesusonic is) heeh j/k

anyway im sure he'll see this thread too

a whatever ill link to it hehe..
Old 06-15-2006, 10:33 PM   #80
Jae.Thomas

Quote:

Cheers, Andy M.
done, my friend