Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 10-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #41
Lawrence
Human being with feelings

Yeah. It has limited use (overall, for a larger user base) since not everyone owns Melodyne.

It's a little more valuable when or if Celemony also gives you Essential for free, so you can do some basic stuff without paying for it.

Contextually speaking, it was more valuable to Studio One because, literally speaking, there was no other way to do that. Melodyne - is - the solution there. If you already have VariAudio in Cubase or similar things in other daws, maybe not so much of a gap filler as it was there. There, Melodyne closes more than a few gaps. Tuning, tempo mapping, some other things.

So it was a much bigger deal for that product.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:23 AM   #42
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Not in Studio One. The Melodyne plugin is inserted directly on the clip.
What a horribly inefficient kludge then
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #43
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Not really. I'm not even sure if all the various things happening with Melo ARA could even happen if the plugin was at the track level. Maybe someone who knows can speak to it.

It's not like most people will be putting Melodyne on 24 clips. You tune a clip (or whatever else you loaded it for) and bounce it if it takes up resources. Because it's a clip level FX, flipping layers or takes to a bounced or frozen copy moves it offline anyway.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #44
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
man, that's exactly what I would want. Just melodyne, right there, ready to go at all times. Would take longer to build peaks but I would just have it on every vocal track ever.

And then if I could see a multitrack view of those tracks in a separate melodyne window without transfer... ohhhhh man
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #45
Lawrence

Yeah, it works pretty well with clip freeze. Reaper also has clip level freeze I think so... insert it, do whatever you want to do with it, freeze it, the clip.

You kinda have to do that anyway on Windows because (often enough) Melodyne doesn't play nice at really low latency. I'm not sure it even takes up much ram as (afaik anyway) it all plays from a disk cache.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #46
EvilDragon

Well, opening Melodyne standalone it's 186 MB of RAM over here...

Empty Reaper instance - 91 MB. Loaded Melodyne on a track - 212 MB.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #47
Lawrence

Check how much ram a plugin instance uses. I haven't, maybe it's large enough also, no clue, but I doubt it uses as much ram as the standalone app... but I haven't checked so I don't know.

At any rate, it doesn't appear to be an issue that anyone using Melodyne ARA is complaining about or finding problematic anywhere that I've seen... so I wouldn't worry about it. I just use the plugin and it works without any ram issue I've ever personally encountered.

Just checked in Studio One. Inserting it on a clip uses about 25mb here. It's a pretty complex plugin / app running as a plugin so that's not bad. I just work and don't think about things like that. If ram starts to run low, I freeze stuff.

Last edited by Lawrence; 10-03-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:30 AM   #48
EvilDragon

I did. That's the second thing I tested, in Reaper. 212-91=121 MB of RAM.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #49
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Melodyne is almost a industry-standard for pitch-correction.
AFAI Understand it also is the best automatic tool to generate a tempo map for audio material. Here you would need an API to import Melodyne's tempo map back into Reaper. I don't know if ARA already defines this.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #50
Lawrence

Quote:
I did. That's the second thing I tested, in Reaper. 212-91=121 MB of RAM.
Interesting. Thanks ED. With Melo ARA here I only got an increase of 25mb. Maybe that's a difference between the ARA and non-ARA plugins, no clue.

At any rate, it doesn't matter. Like I said, nobody is complaining about it (ram use) after some years of it being out in the wild so... it's not an issue anyone is concerned about that I can see.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #51
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
AFAI Understand it also is the best automatic tool to generate a tempo map for audio material. Here you would need an API to import Melodyne's tempo map back into Reaper. I don't know if ARA already defines this.

-Michael
and yes, that's another major selling point. Importing the tempo maps from melodyne could be tricky at times
Old 10-03-2016, 09:53 PM   #52
mschnell

Just for info (I don't own Melodyne (yet):

I once asked but never got an answer, whether/how the tempo map Melody generates can be imported to warp the grid in Reaper.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:09 AM   #53
Ulf3000

Quote:
Except that ends up having lots of RAM overhead because for each take Melodyne is loaded in it has to be reinstated. Not to mention saving its state chunk will increase the size of RPP considerably...
yes but anyone with a decent computer should not care about that ... even with 50 melodynes it takes like 3 seconds longer to load.

for people with access to studio one what happens if you pitch up a word then go to studio one cut the track and move it a little ? is cross-compatible `? i.e. will melodyne stretch and move the word too ? i.e do the changes automatically reflect inside melodyne and is the pitching not lost ?
Ulf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:02 AM   #54
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf3000 View Post
yes but anyone with a decent computer should not care about that ... even with 50 melodynes it takes like 3 seconds longer to load.

for people with access to studio one what happens if you pitch up a word then go to studio one cut the track and move it a little ? is cross-compatible `? i.e. will melodyne stretch and move the word too ? i.e do the changes automatically reflect inside melodyne and is the pitching not lost ?
this is an excellent question. I know using melodyne normally, it basically renders your track for you, so any edits to the track are irrelevant.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #55
albatteur

+1 ARA integration
albatteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:44 AM   #56
vanhaze

I guess it would never happen but +"more than 1" for me also :0)
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:46 PM   #57
Neoradius

Does any one know, if they are going to improve the tuning feature? Not necessarily Melodyne - for example, Cubase has its VariAudio, FL Studio got its own feature, etc. I wish REAPER had such a thing. But I am going to buy it anyway, I like it most of all other DAWs.
And btw, if I buy REAPER 5 now, and they release REAPER 6, will I have to pay for the update? Thank you very much for your answer
Neoradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #58
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoradius View Post
And btw, if I buy REAPER 5 now, and they release REAPER 6, will I have to pay for the update?
You need to read this: http://www.reaper.fm/purchase.php
Old 10-04-2016, 04:35 PM   #59
Lawrence

Quote:
Not sure what you mean exactly. Pitching in Melodyne or pitching in Studio One?

Anything you edit or move on the timeline, like moving a clip or splitting a clip and moving a section, moves both on the timline and in the Melodyne editor. There may be some conflict with Melodyne and audio bend becasue a Melo'd clip is in the Melo cache, but if you have a clip in Melodyne you don't need audio bend on it anyway.

The audio editor window is track level so every clip on the same track with Melodyne on it shows in the same editor. No clue how that will work in Reaper when or if they do it, if you open one plugin instance of Melodyne on a clip, will you always see all of the Melodyne'd clips on the same track or only the one.

No idea.

Last edited by Lawrence; 10-04-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #60
Jae.Thomas

All you would need to do would be to alter a track in melodyne, and then split it and move it a bit, and see if the timing changes.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:35 AM   #61
Ulf3000

Quote:
Not sure what you mean exactly. Pitching in Melodyne or pitching in Studio One?

Anything you edit or move on the timeline, like moving a clip or splitting a clip and moving a section, moves both on the timline and in the Melodyne editor. There may be some conflict with Melodyne and audio bend becasue a Melo'd clip is in the Melo cache, but if you have a clip in Melodyne you don't need audio bend on it anyway.

The audio editor window is track level so every clip on the same track with Melodyne on it shows in the same editor. No clue how that will work in Reaper when or if they do it, if you open one plugin instance of Melodyne on a clip, will you always see all of the Melodyne'd clips on the same track or only the one.

No idea.
what i mean is:

1)you go into melodyne , pitch a and "ohh" of your singer , from c to d ..
2)then later you think , you wanna duplicate the "ohh" to a "oh.oh.oh...oh.yeah" (lol).

will that custom pitching (c to d ) reflect even after moving/duplicating/stretching the file in the studio1 timeline?
---------------------------------------------
if you use only one vocal track with a given song structure ANYWAYS then just transferring 2 3 minutes is not much of a problem and for those cases id go as far as saying this is nothing more than a widget which doesn´t warrant developing a whole bridge for just one vst, when there are more important things to push forward (basically everything midi).

if you can mangle you sound up , remix , cut and stretch and squash audio and the changes reflect in melodyne(ara) then thats a huge plus (even though usage may be limited to electronic music producers(electronic ,hiphop, pop)).

-------------------------------------------------------------
this thread is similar to the "new ui" thread , its just a technical feature which doesn´t help with making music but has the most responses, lots of kids obviously post here/there becasue they wanna brag/e-penis-battle for features with their friends who have ableton or cubase or whatever.
sorry i just woke up so i need to rant lol.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:43 AM   #62
Lawrence

No idea what you're talking about re: "kids bragging" and all that. It's a tool like any other tool. If you don't need it don't buy it or use it.

If you're saying people in this thread like JBM asking for it are kids just asking for something shiny, you'd be mistaken.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:00 AM   #63
Jae.Thomas

hey - poster two posts up.

Grab a coffee and start your thought process over, mmkay?
Old 10-06-2016, 06:13 AM   #64
Lawrence

To answer the question you asked, sorry...

Quote:
1)you go into melodyne , pitch a and "ohh" of your singer , from c to d ..
2)then later you think , you wanna duplicate the "ohh" to a "oh.oh.oh...oh.yeah" (lol).

will that custom pitching (c to d ) reflect even after moving/duplicating/stretching the file in the studio1 timeline?
Not sure. If not, I suppose you can always just hit the hotkey again and update the Melodyne cache / audio after that. Otoh, if it's in Melodyne you can do all of the duplication there instead of on the timeline.

At any rate, ARA (maybe you've never actually used it, no idea) isn't a shiny useless toy, it just makes an already great product very much easier to use... so it does indeed help with making (editing) music.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:17 AM   #65
Jae.Thomas

if you are using reaper, you're probably not a fan of shiny toys
Old 10-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #66
Ulf3000

Quote:
To answer the question you asked, sorry...

Not sure. If not, I suppose you can always just hit the hotkey again and update the Melodyne cache / audio after that. Otoh, if it's in Melodyne you can do all of the duplication there instead of on the timeline.

At any rate, ARA (maybe you've never actually used it, no idea) isn't a shiny useless toy, it just makes an already great product very much easier to use... so it does indeed help with making (editing) music.
yes the shiny thing ...
im seeing this from the developers viewpoint , you can use melodyne just fine, but programming the ara interface costs probably more devtime than anything else (not to even speak of a complete new ui).

imortant features and fixes would be widthheld because users think 3 minutes of importing make a difference.

yeah maybe i was angry at the ui thread lol , like i said sorry no hard feelings
Old 10-06-2016, 04:54 PM   #67
Jae.Thomas

I think you might not be thinking of the advantages in the same way.

I know for a fact that having them all there right away and ready to go would be VERY valuable.

Especially the tempo map integration...
Old 10-12-2016, 04:04 PM   #68
Jazzooka

Ok, already +1'd, can I add another +1?

By the way, dear benevolent Reaper dev gurus, there is an ARA sdk kit available at : ara"at"celemony"dot"com

Like stated in this thread, possibly others, a deep integration of Melodyne in Reaper regarding both individual/multitrack pitch & scales + tempo map would be better than good news.

Best

Nico
Old 10-12-2016, 04:33 PM   #69
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzooka View Post
Ok, already +1'd, can I add another +1?

By the way, dear benevolent Reaper dev gurus, there is an ARA sdk kit available at : ara"at"celemony"dot"com
The Reaper developers have been aware and in possession of the SDK for many years already. I've also acquired it and based on studying it, I can say it's no wonder the Reaper developers have not yet implemented it into Reaper. (It's very over-engineered and complicated for what it does.) No doubt the Cockos developers could do it, but maybe they just don't want to because it would be so much annoying work, just to support one plugin.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #70
Jazzooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
The Reaper developers have been aware and in possession of the SDK for many years already. I've also acquired it and based on studying it, I can say it's no wonder the Reaper developers have not yet implemented it into Reaper. (It's very over-engineered and complicated for what it does.) No doubt the Cockos developers could do it, but maybe they just don't want to because it would be so much annoying work, just to support one plugin.
Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense

Wouldn't mind a paid upgrade for ARA though
Old 10-12-2016, 04:51 PM   #71
Xenakios

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense

Wouldn't mind a paid upgrade for ARA though
Considering Cockos hasn't done such paid-for additional components before, I don't think they would start now. It's probably not about money as such for them, but about not having the man hours available to dedicate to this one thing. I think they currently have only 2 developers working on Reaper. I doubt they could charge so much for an ARA add-on that it would justify hiring an additional developer.

In any case, +1 from me for adding the ARA support...
Old 10-13-2016, 08:49 AM   #72
Jazzooka

@Xenakios : lol, really trying to burst my bubble on this

The more I read you, the less I think it will be a likely update.

At least, sobering transparency is better than announcements of features that pop up years later, half baked, let alone never see the light of day.

Although I must say I am astonished reading the devs are a duo! I would have imagined Reaper labs with dozens of programmers.

If this is true, then what the duo achieves is nothing short of spectacular! Respect.

I really thought uptil now that in order to give us regular bug fixes and deep updates, there would be swats of coders working round the clock.

Hmmm, makes you wonder what the competition is doing in the meantime, with full teams, and bug fixes that last up to a few years...
Old 10-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #73
Xenakios

Quote:

I really thought uptil now that in order to give us regular bug fixes and deep updates, there would be swats of coders working round the clock.
Just my personal opinion, but maybe the music notation feature should not have been added or it should have been outsourced to a 3rd party...As I understand, the second developer of Cockos, Schwa, has been working a LOT on just that for the past months.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #74
Ulf3000

Quote:
@Xenakios : lol, really trying to burst my bubble on this

Although I must say I am astonished reading the devs are a duo! I would have imagined Reaper labs with dozens of programmers.

If this is true, then what the duo achieves is nothing short of spectacular! Respect.
it probably even gives them the edge because they know all thei code when they skimp through it and change something ... but i assume its draining on their lifeforce.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:15 AM   #75
vitalker

Quote:
Just my personal...
Me too think the same.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:24 AM   #76
Xenakios

Quote:
it probably even gives them the edge because they know all thei code when they skimp through it and change something ... but i assume its draining on their lifeforce.
It has been suggested in some sources that the ideal developer team size is about 3 to 9 developers. So I hope they get at least the 3rd developer on board again soon...
Old 10-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #77
vitalker

Here are some requirements to hire at least a one more dev:
http://askjf.com/index.php?q=3581s
http://askjf.com/index.php?q=3582s
http://askjf.com/index.php?q=3584s
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:58 AM   #78
Ulf3000

Quote:
It has been suggested in some sources that the ideal developer team size is about 3 to 9 developers. So I hope they get at least the 3rd developer on board again soon...
depends on the program , a firefox plugin is best made by one person , a videogame needs 50+ programmers , a pro program like a daw or graphics application normally has a team of around 20 perople , but even that varies strongly
Old 11-04-2016, 09:56 AM   #79
Fome

+1 to ARA support PLEASE!
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:00 PM   #80
barbaroja

+1.111.111 for ARA
barbaroja is offline   Reply With Quote