Old 07-14-2019, 08:14 AM   #1
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Default Reaper V6 Default Theme - alpha 1.1

Please find attached the latest theme and script versions. Overwrite the old version to use.

Installation

This all makes use of functionality that is only currently present in development branches of the program, which are not included in RC or final releases. Therefore, you must be using a DEV version of REAPER to test this.

Use 'Options > Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder' to open your resources folder. Place the theme (the .ReaperThemeZip file) in the 'ColorThemes' folder. Unzip the contents of script.zip into your 'Scripts' folder.

Go to 'Actions > Show action list'. In the bottom right, click the ReaScript Load button. Select 'Default_6.0 theme adjuster.lua' and click Open.

Clearing save files

On installation and/or if weirdness occurs, please go to REAPER resource path and delete 'reaper-themeconfig.ini' ...that will definitely be broken, because I've renumbered some parameters. It will be rebuilt when you first run the latest script.

You might also want to edit reaper-extstate.ini and delete the [Default_6.0 theme adjuster] section.

Changes
- a gazillion tweaks, I've lost track.
- 150% and 200% sizes for MCP and TCP master tracks.
- Updates for recent HiDPI improvements (still ongoing)

Issues
- Drag & drop folder creation indicator is broken.
- Midi editor is placeholder
- many, many niggles.

Please test and give feedback!

I am most keenly interested in testing of the script and the interaction between it and the theme in use. Even if you don't like the theme, this stuff has never been done before so is worth getting right, if only for its potential use in a future theme that you might like

The new white-bar-selection indication needs testing, particularly in extreme corner cases. Dynamic split guys please hammer it!

This is the broad, overall design intent of the theme, which is not going to change. I'm sorry if you don't personally like it; please understand that sometimes a decision just has to be made, now it just needs to be implemented as well as possible and that can't happen without your testing, which is always much appreciated.

Thanks!

--- Update 1.11 --- 15 July

FIXED - tcp_bgsel and mcp_bgsel images have different saturation/brightness levels and different hues
FIXED - cut off text in 3 places on envelope page
FIXED - error when trying to use 'align controls' on B or C layout

--- Update 1.12 --- 19 July

FIXED - Square gap appearing at top left of mixer meter
FIXED - misaligned pan text when track label is vertical

--- Update 1.13 --- 21 August

Flexible resizing Transport

---------
Attached Files
File Type: zip script.zip (118.1 KB, 1262 views)
File Type: reaperthemezip Default_6.0.ReaperThemeZip (1.28 MB, 1542 views)

Last edited by White Tie; 08-21-2019 at 04:38 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
mlprod
Human being with feelings

Just installed this now, but there is no scaling available in the transport section of the script anymore?
Old 07-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
JamesPeters

tcp_bgsel and mcp_bgsel images have different saturation/brightness levels and different hues. The main part of the TCP/MCP have differences in brightness/saturation, and the "ribbon" part (where the track number is) has differences in hue (and a slight difference in saturation).

tcp_bg and mcp_bg images are consistent, though.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:56 PM   #4
mlprod

In addition to the question about transport scaling, here are some very quick things:

- The blue line "folder drag creation error" is still there.

- Not obvious enough that a track is selected in both tcp and mcp I think.

- Text is overall too dark/grey (ruler/transport etc), some people will have some trouble reading.

- Folder borders in mcp, sometimes i need to close and reopen mixer for changes to happen.

- Is there a reason why we can't tint the MCP channel strips?

- In MCP Narrow, I dont think its good that the fader is replaces by a knob. The mixer should always have faders. Maybe its not possible...

- There must be a plan to allow you to theme other windows such as media item properties and rea plugs etc? I know it is an open door but with a dark theme like this it's just a must for a good ui experience.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #5
strachupl

Old 07-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #6
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by strachupl View Post
Oooh nasty, but I can't replicate this, any tips for when it does it? What's your OS? Anyone else able to replicate?
Old 07-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #7
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Just installed this now, but there is no scaling available in the transport section of the script anymore?
Yes, the whole scaling component has been removed from the script. The old method was flawed, this is the nuclear option. I would welcome any and all discussion on how I address this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
tcp_bgsel and mcp_bgsel images have different saturation/brightness levels and different hues. The main part of the TCP/MCP have differences in brightness/saturation, and the "ribbon" part (where the track number is) has differences in hue (and a slight difference in saturation).
Nice one, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
Envelopes tab: I suggest the white bars to be wider (text are cut), see screenshot
Yes, thanks.

Quote:
Pan & With,– value still seems to float/stick to right side, should stick to knob or after last element
This is the same behaviour as V5 and is intentional. The choice is between 'appear in the same place no matter what' versus 'appear near related controls'. Since the tooltip appears by the related controls, this way sort-of fits both requirements.

Quote:
Custom Colors,
Recoloring a Project will use random tints from Palette.
– I wish it would colorize starting from first tint to last.
– We need an option to make track names always solid white or black (tint can vanish)
Ordered coloring seems a little niche, and there are other ways you could do that, so hmmm not really feeling it.

Solid black or white would be a bit extreme, if there are colours that the automated colour adjuster could pick up better, please post 'em!

Quote:
- The blue line "folder drag creation error" is still there.
Yes, this is a known problem. There's even a non-functioning walter element just waiting to solve it...

Quote:
- Not obvious enough that a track is selected in both tcp and mcp I think.
This is the heart of the matter. Can I ask that you use it a for a little longer and see if you continue to struggle with it? There's no right answer here, I do have users who think I have overdone it, so its a tricky decision.

Quote:
- Folder borders in mcp, sometimes i need to close and reopen mixer for changes to happen.
Sounds like a bug; this is new functionality, they are to be expected! Are you able to replicate this in a way that I can show to the devs?

Quote:
- Text is overall too dark/grey (ruler/transport etc), some people will have some trouble reading.
- Is there a reason why we can't tint the MCP channel strips?
- In MCP Narrow, I dont think its good that the fader is replaces by a knob. The mixer should always have faders. Maybe its not possible...
These are design decisions where I am comfortable with the direction we have chosen. Its okay to file some things under 'there are different themes, and mods of themes, for specific users'.

Quote:
- There must be a plan to allow you to theme other windows such as media item properties and rea plugs etc? I know it is an open door but with a dark theme like this it's just a must for a good ui experience.
Not in the near term sadly. The bit ticket UI thing for V6 is HiDPI, that might not seem big ticket but it really, really is. I have an idea of a long term plan for this involving reascript, but shhh don't tell anyone.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:41 AM   #8
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Yes, the whole scaling component has been removed from the script. The old method was flawed, this is the nuclear option. I would welcome any and all discussion on how I address this.
Ahh ok, no idea how to solve it, but it sure is needed to be able to scale this.

Quote:
Sounds like a bug; this is new functionality, they are to be expected! Are you able to replicate this in a way that I can show to the devs?
Ill try and see if I can do this later.
Quote:
These are design decisions where I am comfortable with the direction we have chosen. Its okay to file some things under 'there are different themes, and mods of themes, for specific users'.
Fair enough, but as for text vs background visibility I def think that is not a design type choice, especially for a default theme like this.
Quote:
Not in the near term sadly. The bit ticket UI thing for V6 is HiDPI, that might not seem big ticket but it really, really is. I have an idea of a long term plan for this involving reascript, but shhh don't tell anyone.
Too bad, I hope it gets an overhaul soon then!

Best/M
Old 07-15-2019, 06:54 AM   #9
PhelixK

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod
Here as well, I have to manually refresh MCP to see any changes. TCP is instant.

(Default 6.0 v1.1.1, macOS 10.14.5 / Retina)

Old 07-16-2019, 09:39 AM   #10
ramses

Quote:
This is the heart of the matter. Can I ask that you use it a for a little longer and see if you continue to struggle with it? There's no right answer here, I do have users who think I have overdone it, so its a tricky decision.
I can't tell what's selected and not in many of my projects, small and large. Could anyone make out what track's selected here at a glance? I can't. Same goes for item selection, even though that's a bit better perhaps.

To be able to quickly spot, at a glance, without turning all mental focus to the screen, which tracks are selected or not is, in my opinion, absolutely paramount. No design decisions can be allowed to take priority over this. Track selection is absolutely crucial information.

This really needs to be fixed I think, before the final release. I have my preference on how this would be done - simply don't color the whole panel. Leave a colored strip next to name & arrange window, and then choose, very deliberatly, 2 shades of gray that clearly and unambiguosly communicates to the operator which tracks are chosen and which are not, for the rest of the panel. But I understand that for reasons this will very likely not happen. Still has to be fixed though.
Attached Images
File Type: png Original.png (61.5 KB, 10492 views)
Old 07-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #11
PhelixK

Great, this thing is def. becoming better and better!

Envelopes tab:
I suggest the white bars to be wider (text are cut), see screenshot

Pan & With,
– value still seems to float/stick to right side, should stick to knob or after last element

Custom Colors,
Recoloring a Project will use random tints from Palette.
– I wish it would colorize starting from first tint to last.
– We need an option to make track names always solid white or black (tint can vanish)

*reaper5980+dev0713

Last edited by PhelixK; 08-21-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:42 AM   #12
Edison

Default Bug?

See the Pic

Edison
Attached Images
File Type: png Transport v6.png (5.3 KB, 665 views)
Old 07-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #13
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison View Post
See the Pic
That's not a bug, its just icon I came up with to represent 'play state as text'. Please let me know if you can think of a better one
Old 07-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #14
Edison

Quote:
That's not a bug, its just icon I came up with to represent 'play state as text'. Please let me know if you can think of a better one
Hi White Tie,

Maybe use only [ ] or a small 'Play Icon' between the keys. Because the text in front of the icon is already enlightening! What do you think?

PS: in my country this symbol '[ ]' is called keys.

Congratulations on a great job!

Edison

Last edited by Edison; 07-17-2019 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #15
dangguidan

Mute item should not be too dim, in practice, all item information should be clear and clear.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:05 AM   #16
Zeno

Hi White Tie,

Two things have struck me:

1.If I use the trackgain, this will change its appearance. it is a bit strange.
Itemgain unused.JPG
Itemgain used.JPG

2. when expanding the tcp width, the text shifts.
track text aligned.JPG
Track Text not aligned.JPG
Old 07-18-2019, 04:36 AM   #17
sievr

so there is still a change that minimal mixer will be added?

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....80#post2077380

please please please
Old 08-21-2019, 08:46 AM   #18
Edison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison View Post
Hi White Tie,

Maybe use only [ ] or a small 'Play Icon' between the keys. Because the text in front of the icon is already enlightening! What do you think?

PS: in my country this symbol '[ ]' is called keys.

Congratulations on a great job!

Edison
Hi, Tie!

I don't know if you saw my suggestion, because still the same in update 1.13
Haven't you decided yet or are you waiting for more ideas?

Thanks
Old 08-06-2019, 02:03 PM   #19
Edison

Quote:
Hi, White Tie

I thought I'd already sent a suggestion about it, but I can't find it. So here's a suggestion.

Keep [=] and insert lines or line indicating text. Or keep only [ ] because the text in front of this window is enlightening.

What do you think?

Last edited by Edison; 08-06-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:28 PM   #20
musicbynumbers

Thanks White Tie.

I'll check what's happening with that file when editing the theme and let you know. I don't think it's any of the things you mentioned apart from maybe an admin rights thing and permission in user area... will check

The other bug with loading the theme editor stopped happening after I restarted my pc the next day so a bit weird but gone now.. will let you know if it comes back
Closed Thread