Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #1
brightonbob
Human being with feelings

Default Optomize Windows 10 - No network/no security

Hi

I have been using Windows 10 64 Pro (on a dual boot PC) for a while with Reaper - all works well. I now want to run this specific OS isolated from all networks and optimize it exclusively for use as a Reaper DAW.

I have found various guides that have been helpful in many aspects of DAW optimization but I cannot see how to remove/disable all network and security services from Windows 10. I can turn some features off but not others.... I assume that this is possible (without any unintended consequences etc) and that there is a simple, well used and effective method to do this…. But I have not been able to find it.

Has anyone else done this or know how to?
brightonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonbob View Post
Hi

I have been using Windows 10 64 Pro (on a dual boot PC) for a while with Reaper - all works well. I now want to run this specific OS isolated from all networks and optimize it exclusively for use as a Reaper DAW.

I have found various guides that have been helpful in many aspects of DAW optimization but I cannot see how to remove/disable all network and security services from Windows 10. I can turn some features off but not others.... I assume that this is possible (without any unintended consequences etc) and that there is a simple, well used and effective method to do this…. But I have not been able to find it.

I'm probably going to get "flamed" for this, but in my opinion, the need to have the isolated off-network never online DAW is a thing of the past. Windows 10 will most likely give you more troubles and issues the more you tweak it. It works great as-is, best DAW system I have ever used.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #3
LouDorn

You can read about Windows 10 optimizations at this site.
Read first do your home work and decide if it is for you.

http://www.blackviper.com/service-co...onfigurations/
Old 10-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
jazznfunk

Mostly, if You have latest i7 turbo 16 core 64 GB DDR 5 () RAM PC, background processes is harmless.

Yes, network presence with DAW doesn't harm the workflow. I suggest to tweak Windows 10 (and every Windows) update and restart settings. Group policy editor (GPE) is right tool to disable automatic Windows updates and, most important - automatic restarts (in middle of recording ) Sure, automatic restarts is configurable without GPE too, but not in advanced level. Google GPE.

I'm bit oldscool too in these aspects. If my PC is ONLY DAW, than i want to PC do things, that i want, not the things PC (Microsoft) wants.

There is lot of background process, but good news is that, Windows can manage process priority. If You activly doing something, Windows won't run many background processes. Task Scheduler is full of them.

Yes, i hate 200 MB integrated soundcard drivers and other bloatware sh*t. It's sitting in taskbar, eating resources and do nothing useful.

Last edited by jazznfunk; 10-06-2017 at 05:02 PM.
jazznfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:33 AM   #5
sickamorz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonbob View Post
Hi

if you receive internet through WiFi simply turn off WiFi or if wired to your router unplug the cable. I use the WiFi method so I have full use of my computer and not sharing it with microsoft.
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:11 AM   #6
Geoff-h3o

Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamorz View Post
if you receive internet through WiFi simply turn off WiFi or if wired to your router unplug the cable. I use the WiFi method so I have full use of my computer and not sharing it with microsoft.
Haven't had my daw pc connected to the internet ever since it ugraded to win 10 2 years ago. Apart from a little moan every time i boot it up nothing untoward has happened. Sometimes connected to a network where other win pcs are updated so have to be carefull not to allow sharing updates (did happen once, so I reinstalled from a disc image.
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:10 AM   #7
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
I'm probably going to get "flamed" for this, but in my opinion, the need to have the isolated off-network never online DAW is a thing of the past. Windows 10 will most likely give you more troubles and issues the more you tweak it. It works great as-is, best DAW system I have ever used.
LOL. I hereby FLAME you! My offline workstation is most emphatically a thing of the present and future. This trend toward mandating online activation, subscription models, usage data mining etc. at the cost of personal privacy and autonomy needs to be resisted. Just because a computer is capable of connecting to and interacting with a networked global village doesn't mean it should have to.

I agree that there is no reason to go crazy with tweaks. Just disable the security & network services, the silly app stuff and disable Cortana in the registry. Generally Windows 10 manages & prioritizes its background stuff pretty well.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
He's right. With Windows 7, turning everything off you don't need works great, with 10, although there are some tweaks you can make, theres some stuff they want you to leave alone. And they'll ground you for trying to mess with it.
4140 is offline   Reply With Quote