Old 05-08-2021, 09:20 PM   #1
LarrySeyer
Human being with feelings

Default Live Keys Scripts

These scripts are designed for those who want to use Reaper for live performance such as a replacement for MainStage. (NOW WORKS WITH MAC AND WINDOWS)

Using these scripts saves computing power by turning off ALL tracks and FX (up to 16 tracks) except the desired track allowing for more stable operation for a live performance using Reaper. Tracks that are disabled take no processing power.

In order to prevent sounds 'cutting off' when selecting different sounds, the previous track is allowed to continue to finish playing and does not mute until a new track is selected.

The script only works on the first 16 tracks. If you need some tracks that always stay 'on' and are not effected by it, simply create 16+ tracks... the ones above 16 will be ignored by the script.

Install these scripts in your 'Scripts' directory in Reaper.

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/41970/Live_Keys_Scripts.zip

The following video explains how to install and use the "Live Keys Scripts" for Reaper script files:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g506QrJ19-4

Last edited by LarrySeyer; 05-10-2021 at 10:50 AM.
LarrySeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:20 PM   #2
mschnell

Seemingly this is exactly what SWS "Live Configs" is about. I use same since years. See the sticky thread in this forum.

I am planning to come up with a more comprehensive solution implemented as a VST some day

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:27 AM   #3
LarrySeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Seemingly this is exactly what SWS "Live Configs" is about. I use same since years. See the sticky thread in this forum.

I am planning to come up with a more comprehensive solution implemented as a VST some day

-Michael
It is similar, but different in some areas. (NOW WORKS WITH MAC AND WINDOWS)

This script allows for instantaneous switching from one track to another without cutting notes or effects off. In other words, delays, reverbs, and long string patches continue to sound when selecting new tracks.

Muting and bypass is delayed to allow for sounds to finish playing.

Perhaps there are other scripts that do this as well, but this one does exactly what I needed it to do.

In addition, bypassed tracks and FX are hidden out of view and only the selected track is visible (up to 16 tracks). This is done in order to allow for the automatic larger track size increase this script performs for the selected track.

Both are great... others may find this script useful which is why I'm sharing it.

Last edited by LarrySeyer; 05-22-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:31 PM   #4
mschnell

Pilpelineaudio once used some script I did for a similar issue he had witn LiveConfigs. We had a long discussion on this in the forum those days.

Right now I started to try to do a VST that is meant to be an upgrade to LiveConfigs (which is not actively maintained any more).

I'll take a look ...
-Michael
Old 05-09-2021, 07:00 PM   #5
LarrySeyer

Quote:
Pilpelineaudio once used some script I did for a similar issue he had witn LiveConfigs. We had a long discussion on this in the forum those days.

Right now I started to try to do a VST that is meant to be an upgrade to LiveConfigs (which is not actively maintained any more).

I'll take a look ...
-Michael
I have uploaded a revised version that now works with both Mac and Windows.

Please re-download and use the file that is there now.

Thank you!

Last edited by LarrySeyer; 05-09-2021 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:07 PM   #6
mschnell

Supposedly providing the script(s) via ReaPack would be appropriate.
-Michael
Old 05-10-2021, 07:02 AM   #7
LarrySeyer

Quote:
Supposedly providing the script(s) via ReaPack would be appropriate.
-Michael
I would gladly do that if I knew how.

All the best to you!

Larry
Old 05-10-2021, 07:07 AM   #8
cfillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySeyer View Post
I would gladly do that if I knew how.
https://reapack.com/upload
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:54 AM   #9
LarrySeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
Done!

Hopefully, I did it correctly.

Thank you!

Larry
Old 05-20-2021, 07:16 AM   #10
jabberwalky

I like it. Would this be a way to control presets during a live set? Reaper is so flexible, I'm not sure what the best approach would be (using a Novation SL49mk2 controller). Why is it limited to 16? I went into the misc script and changed it to 17 which seems to allow more and made an additional track 17 script. This worked for possibly adding more tracks above 16.

Anyways, immediate bug noticed. Notes played with sustain pedal get stuck if you change while pedal is held. Might want to implement some kind of midi kill on switch.

Last edited by jabberwalky; 05-20-2021 at 07:33 AM.
jabberwalky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:32 PM   #11
LarrySeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwalky View Post
I like it. Would this be a way to control presets during a live set? Reaper is so flexible, I'm not sure what the best approach would be (using a Novation SL49mk2 controller). Why is it limited to 16? I went into the misc script and changed it to 17 which seems to allow more and made an additional track 17 script. This worked for possibly adding more tracks above 16.

Anyways, immediate bug noticed. Notes played with sustain pedal get stuck if you change while pedal is held. Might want to implement some kind of midi kill on switch.
Correct.

But to clarify, MIDI is killed on the previous track immediately for a reason.

The reason for this is if the previous track was not made to ignore MIDI when a new track is selected, you would hear the new track AND the old track play at the same time.

There is no way around this without additional programming. I did not need this function so I didn't include it. But feel free to write a delayed action script that turns MIDI off after X seconds on the previous track. That would fix that particular issue as long as you didn’t play MIDI notes before the previous track was killed.

A more elegant solution would be custom MIDI filtering but again, that is way above what I needed this script for. You are welcome to modify if you want.

I originally made the script work on only the first 16 tracks because that is all I needed.

But there is no reason you can't make that number be as high as your memory will allow for FX.

Try 24... try 64. Whatever you want is fine.

Just remember that any track above that number will be left alone and ignored.

This is done so that you can put reverb returns on the tracks above that number and the script will not affect those.

How To:

In the "Live_Inst_Misc.lua" script on lines 9 and 10 are the following two commands:

max_live_tracks = 16
current_track_height_override = 765

"max_live_tracks" sets the number of tracks the script will work on... make this be as large as you need.

"current_track_height_override" is how big the script will make the currently selected track. If you don't need it that big, you can choose a smaller number... if you want it bigger, make it bigger.

Enjoy!

Last edited by LarrySeyer; 05-20-2021 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:30 PM   #12
jabberwalky

That makes sense! Thanks for the explanation, very useful.
jabberwalky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:39 PM   #13
LarrySeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
Christian,

I saw your pull request but I'm not sure what to do as the next step.

Do I need to do anything?

If there is something I need to do to finish releasing these scripts, please let me know.

I'm a total nube at doing this... so sorry.

Larry