Old 09-18-2021, 12:04 PM   #1
Burnsjethro
Human being with feelings

Default Snapshots

I tried out the snapshot function on a track as an experiment but it doesn't seem to work.

I followed Rapid-Fire REAPER Tutorials method but any time I make a change and press "new" for a new snapshot and then go back through the previous mixes (mix 1, mix 2) I get the version I just saved (doing a full track mix).

Any ideas please?
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:14 PM   #2
uncleswede

Depending on the complexity of the project (particularly one with lots of tracks and/or 'heavy' VSTs, e.g. Kontakt), it can take 5-6 seconds to fully populate a selected snapshot
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:31 PM   #3
Burnsjethro

Thanks Uncleswede.

I'ts not a complex project. Just me singing on one track. I save it as "new". Mess about with it. Save as "new". But they all end up being the same as the last one I saved as "new" !
Old 09-18-2021, 01:33 PM   #4
Tone Ranger

Are you saving over the previous snapshot by any chance? Try giving them different names....maybe "New 1", "New 2", etc and see what happens!
Tone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:53 PM   #5
Burnsjethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Ranger View Post
Are you saving over the previous snapshot by any chance? Try giving them different names....maybe "New 1", "New 2", etc and see what happens!
They automatically give new names (mix 1, mix 2) but I did rename them as well. It does appear as though they are saving over previous snapshots though.
Old 09-18-2021, 02:50 PM   #6
Burnsjethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Ranger View Post
They automatically give new names (mix 1, mix 2) but I did rename them as well. It does appear as though they are saving over previous snapshots though.
Old 09-18-2021, 02:54 PM   #7
Burnsjethro

And I have the same problem on two computers where "extensions" is installed. It's probably something very simple I have overlooked. A pity because this would be a great help in mixing and so on.

With full track mix ticked all the items underneath are greyed out but it seems to be the same in any video I see where people are explaining the system.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:40 AM   #8
Burnsjethro

Well, I am making some progress.
I have switched to "custom" then ticked everything that is ticked in full track mix, clicked new, changed a lot of things, clicked "new" and now I can switch back to the pre-changes version.

So the fact that the boxes are not ticked in full track mix apparently makes a difference.

Is continuing to work in the custom mode with all the appropriate boxes ticked just the same as full track mix or am I in for a nasty surprise?
Old 09-19-2021, 07:24 AM   #9
Burnsjethro

Thanks for your help folks.

I think my problem was me expecting the snapshot function to do more than it was intended for.

So I was working on one project and trying to work out a vocal harmony, saving each take I took but, silly me,I did not realise it does not work if you add or remove tracks. I was thinking it would update the entire project each time.

In another project, I was fiddling about with Melodyne, expecting these changes but be updated with each mix.

Whereas it simply updates the items listed.
It was the "full track" that confused me.

Sorry about sending you and myself on a fool's errand.

The silver lining is this will still be an invaluable tool.

And once again, thanks a lot for trying help out.