Old 09-19-2021, 04:22 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default VIDEO: Question about routing ....

Please check out this video and let me know what you think:

https://youtu.be/165XBXS6_58

Thanks in advance for your input,

-Steven
Old 09-19-2021, 05:19 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

edit - sorry, I went too quick. Search for "stealth sends". Or somebody will come by soon and explain it. Or I'll come back and explain later, but I gotta run now.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:11 PM   #3
bolgwrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
Please check out this video and let me know what you think:

https://youtu.be/165XBXS6_58

Thanks in advance for your input,

-Steven
Edit the FX send envelopes on the TCP for each item/track; no need for re-routing.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:51 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

OK, so you certainly can do as you said, just remove those sends from the Sub Vocal track and then send directly to the FX from each individual track, BUT then any time you change the Sub Vocal fader, the wet/dry mix will change. The dry level of all the vocals will change with the Sub fader, but the wet FX level won’t, so the balance between dry and wet will change.

If that bothers you, then you need “stealth sends”. Starting from what you’ve got in the video:

Open the Routing window for the SubVocal track. Change the number of track channels to at least 12. Now for each of the FX sends change the Source Channels to be a unique pair of those channels. Delay might be 3/4, Plate 5/6, etc. Leave their Destination channels at 1/2.

Now go to each individual vocal track and create five new sends to the SubVocal track, each one sending to a different set of channels. You’ll end up with six sends to that one track from each of the vocal tracks, but each one to a different set of channels. The original one, sending to 1/2, is your main dry mix and probably will never change, but the others are your FX sends. They won’t tell you which send is for which effect, so you’ll kind of have to just set them up in a logical order and then remember, but now you can control (and automate) the wet level of each individual track separately, but they will also still follow changes to the SubVocal fader, so the wet/dry mix stays the same as you adjust the overall vocal bus level.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote