Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-19-2021, 02:51 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default VST for vocals (Mono vs. Mono/Stereo) - What's the difference? Which should I use?

I have several VSTs that give me the choice of Mono or Stereo. That's pretty clear. But, for some of them, I also have a choice of 'Mono/Stereo'.

So, what's the difference between a VST that is just Mono vs one that is listed as Mono/Stereo?

For vocals would there be a reason I might want to use the Mono/Stereo version over just the Mono one?

Just curious since the choice is there .....
Old 09-20-2021, 09:56 PM   #2
poulhoi

I would take Mono/Stereo to mean that the effect takes a mono input and outputs a stereo signal. That’s how I’ve seen the term used at least.

If you want the track to have any stereo content you should choose a stereo or mono/stereo version; otherwise you should choose mono.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:35 PM   #3
Tod

Yeah, poulhoi is right Steven.

I think you're mostly referring to reverb. If so, the way I do it is if I have a mono signal such as a vocal, I'll us a mono/stereo, if I have a stereo signal such as an acoustic guitar that's recorded in stereo, then I'll use a stereo/stereo.

Sometimes mono/mono is available, but I seldom use it. I like to get the added stereo the mono/stereo gives.
Tod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:06 AM   #4
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Yeah, poulhoi is right Steven.

I think you're mostly referring to reverb. If so, the way I do it is if I have a mono signal such as a vocal, I'll us a mono/stereo, if I have a stereo signal such as an acoustic guitar that's recorded in stereo, then I'll use a stereo/stereo.

Sometimes mono/mono is available, but I seldom use it. I like to get the added stereo the mono/stereo gives.
Also modulation effects such as chorus, tape doublers etc..
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote