Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-14-2021, 05:12 AM   #1
kgbeat
Human being with feelings

Default 'AUDIO DEVICE CLOSED' Message.

Revisiting an older project from last year and as it is a biggish project I set the the buffer to 2048 both in Reaper Preferences and in the Asio configuration.

With this setting the project won't play and where the buffer info is in the top R/H corner it keeps flashing the message 'Audio Device Closed'. But it is ok in 1024.

Any clues please?
kgbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:53 AM   #2
serr

That literally means the audio interface Reaper was pointed to is not connected ("digitally connected" that is). The transport not responding is a telltale of this. It sounds like you have isolated the interface disconnecting when you set the block size to 2048 but don't have the issue with a max block size of 1024, yes?

It's possible the audio interface in question doesn't support a block size above 1024 samples. Sure looks that way...
You might try controlling Reaper from the OS control panel instead of the Reaper control panel. Untick the box next to block size in the Reaper Preferences/Audio page to disable control from Reaper. Then open the OS control panel or 3rd party control panel and try using it instead. Reaper allows a few different options to cover a lot of hardware and software.

Or...
If you were doing it that way around to begin with, try control from Reaper.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:53 AM   #3
kgbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
That literally means the audio interface Reaper was pointed to is not connected ("digitally connected" that is). The transport not responding is a telltale of this. It sounds like you have isolated the interface disconnecting when you set the block size to 2048 but don't have the issue with a max block size of 1024, yes?

It's possible the audio interface in question doesn't support a block size above 1024 samples. Sure looks that way...
You might try controlling Reaper from the OS control panel instead of the Reaper control panel. Untick the box next to block size in the Reaper Preferences/Audio page to disable control from Reaper. Then open the OS control panel or 3rd party control panel and try using it instead. Reaper allows a few different options to cover a lot of hardware and software.

Or...
If you were doing it that way around to begin with, try control from Reaper.
Thanks serr. Sadly I couldn't find the settings that you were referring to on the Audio page. I have limited understanding on these things!

My current Interface is the PreSonus Studio 26c but when these particular projects were created, it would have been a previous less spec'd model. As 2048 works fine on all new projects, I've decided not to not to worry further about this as I can cope with 1024 on these minor edits. It was more of a curiosity thing that a major problem.
But thank you for your input and advice - it's appreciated.
kgbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:38 PM   #4
serr

Sorry, I meant Preferences -> Audio/Device page
serr is online now   Reply With Quote