Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-22-2021, 04:23 AM   #1
barton986
Human being with feelings

Default Recording Expression Controller Data to Individual Takes?

Is there a way to record MIDI controller data to Takes along with audio?

I've got some in-the-box effects setup, and I'm controlling a few parameters with an expression pedal. I got the MIDI parameters etc all linked up and can record everything fine enough...except that the MIDI CC data gets recorded to the Track automation lane and gets overwritten with every new take. This isn't really what I want, since this is really "performance data" in this case and I lose most of the performances.

I figured out that I could change the record settings to record the track output to get the recorded audio to contain the audible changes. This is okay and honestly probably works fine for my needs, except that it's not at all intuitive (to me) and I see myself having to go through this again next time I'd like to use this type of setup. I'm hoping that there is an app-wide setting that I can change somewhere. Searches of the search engines have not yielded results...maybe I don't know the correct set of words to use here?

Any help or general guidance is appreciated here.
barton986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:04 AM   #2
thevisi0nary
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton986 View Post
Is there a way to record MIDI controller data to Takes along with audio?

I've got some in-the-box effects setup, and I'm controlling a few parameters with an expression pedal. I got the MIDI parameters etc all linked up and can record everything fine enough...except that the MIDI CC data gets recorded to the Track automation lane and gets overwritten with every new take. This isn't really what I want, since this is really "performance data" in this case and I lose most of the performances.

I figured out that I could change the record settings to record the track output to get the recorded audio to contain the audible changes. This is okay and honestly probably works fine for my needs, except that it's not at all intuitive (to me) and I see myself having to go through this again next time I'd like to use this type of setup. I'm hoping that there is an app-wide setting that I can change somewhere. Searches of the search engines have not yielded results...maybe I don't know the correct set of words to use here?

Any help or general guidance is appreciated here.
Envelopes are track based and takes are item based. I think the only thing you can do is copy the automation to a separate track if you want to save it.

Idk if it's possible but you could maybe do a whacky set up involving midi items on a separate track, and routing the midi for that track to the audio track with the plugin you want to automate.
thevisi0nary is offline   Reply With Quote