Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-25-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
manhunt1
Human being with feelings

Default Using Reaper with QSC Touchmix 30

Hi to all,
I am a little confused on getting my QSC Touchmix 30 and Reaper (updated 02/21/2020) to play nice. I have the most recent Windows drivers downloaded from QSC, Reaper Finds the Driver but the Record mode option For Touchmix 30 to DAW (direct to computer via USB connector) does not allow me to arm tracks on the board and when I arm tracks in Reaper, it does not show on the board. I have the same problem when switching to USB record mode (although it does bring up the Arm buttons on the board).

Further, I have desired number of tracks set on the board, however Reaper does not populate tracks in Reaper with assigned names. My old Behringer XR18 with ASIO4All does this. Am I missing something?

I just want to directly multi track record to Reaper. Anyone else using this setup with advice?
manhunt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:32 AM   #2
funkydrum

Default QSC tutorial video might help

Hello,

I tried the same a couple of month ago (without much effort though) and managed to connect the Touchmix and Reaper using the QSC USB Driver for Windows. I could connect channels from the Touchmix to Reaper and record them in Reaper. I finally used only one channel at a time for sampling purposes, but I believe it would have worked simultaneously as well.

If you check out this video on QSC website

https://www.qsc.com/live-sound/produ...ixers/#c137975

(the one about 3rd party effects) you can see how to connect in- and outputs and how to do the setting in Reaper.
To be accurate, I gave up the idea of recording in Reaper before I managed to also connect the outputs of the Reaper tracks back to the Touchmix, because I didn't need it. My usual workflow is to do the multi track hard disk (SSD) recording on the Touchmix, and only after the session import the tracks into Reaper. But after watching the video I think the only step I was missing was to connect the output of each Reaper channel output to the corresponding Touchmix channel input, as shown in the clip.
If I remember correctly, you don't need to arm the channels for recording on the Touchmix, as the pre fader signals are always provided to the USB port right after A/D section, if you switch Touchmix recording mode to DAW. However, for playback, you would need to set the Touchmix channels to play mode.
Sorry, I can't double check my memory, as I cannot access my Touchmix at the moment. My reply is thus probably inaccurate and I apologize for that, hoping it helps nevertheless.

cheers Funkydrum
funkydrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #3
funkydrum

Default works fine!

Hello,
I checked again, and now can confirm it works fine both directions, using QSC Touchmix USB driver on a PC.
As stated in my previous post, you will need to set up the routing in Reaper, both for inputs and outputs, which I found easiest to do in the routing matrix. In the matrix, only existing Reaper tracks show up, so create as many tracks as you whish to record first. If REAPER master track is visible, be careful not to route its output to Touchmix channel 1&2, but rather to 31&32. Channel names used on the Touchmix do not show up in Reaper and vice versa, unfortunately, only channel/track numbers. You could change this manually by aliasing inputs and outputs.
In order not to have to do routing and aliasing again for every project, I use a template with the tracks names I wish to record and the routing done.
Arming tracks for recording needs to be done only in Reaper and selecting tracks for playback only on the Touchmix (which is easy with the Touchmix "toggle all command" put on a user button).
Last hurdle: The Touchmix always defines the sample rate, so that you need to set the project to the same sample rate as the Touchmix.

cheers Funkydrum
funkydrum is offline   Reply With Quote