COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 03-06-2015, 05:40 AM   #1
nicjunge
Human being with feelings

Default Noise Canceling Studio Headphones?

Hey

Thinking about getting a pair of noise canceling headphones for pro audio work.
I often sit in an open environment with noises from fans, server etc and
it would be nice to minimise the noise.

Any of you guys got hands on experience with noise canceling headphones and
do you recommend any specific headphones?

I'm talking about activ noise cancelation and not passiv noise reduction from closed
headphones.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
PigPenofsoftware

Much noise cancelling technology for 'phones has been applied in aviation. Helicopters and light planes have very high ambient noise levels so those noise cancellers are quite powerful. They are not impedance matched for recording/listening stereo - aircraft use high impedance stuff. (600 ohm I think) And high fidelity is not an objective most of the time in that usage.

There are consumer grade noise cancellers for stereo listening but the JVC pair I have is not very powerful in its cancellation ability. It uses a single AAA battery and seems to be ok for airliner cabin levels of noise.
But I doubt it could handle a server farm.

Maybe other brands work better.
But it seems that the market for these would be for stereo enjoyment rather than for mixing recordings so perhaps searching audiophile forums would yield some discussion.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #3
Aymara

The headphones by BOSE are worth a look. I had the chance to test one of their higher end headphones and found them quite ok, though no comparison to my Beyerdynamic

But these are HiFi headphones, not studio models.

Chris
Old 03-31-2015, 04:23 AM   #4
Don Schenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
The headphones by BOSE are worth a look. I had the chance to test one of their higher end headphones and found them quite ok, though no comparison to my Beyerdynamic

But these are HiFi headphones, not studio models.
I have a pair of the Bose QC-15 headphones. They are really, really, really hyped in the bass like other consumer headphones. Because of this they are terrible for mixing.

Our house has an open floor plan with living room, dining room, and kitchen being one large open space. If my wife wants to watch something on the TV while I want to read, I have trouble blocking out the TV sound. The Bose are perfect for this.

But with the increased bass in the Bose, I would never be able to create an accurate sounding mix, because the Bose would cause me to increase the mid and highs to compensate.

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones would be better. They are surprisingly flat, and the large, over-the-ear pads do block a lot of sound.

:-Don

Last edited by Don Schenk; 03-31-2015 at 07:54 AM. Reason: I spent too many day skiing this month.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:47 AM   #5
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Schenk View Post
I have a pair of the Bose QC-15 headphines. They are really, really, really hyped in the bass like other consumer headphones. Because of this they are terrible for mixing.

Our house has an open floor plan with living room, dining room, and kitchen being one large open space. If my wife wants to watch something on the TV while I want to read, I have trouble blocking out the TV sound. The Bose are perfect for this.

But with the increased bass in the Bose, I would never be able to create an accurate sounding mix, because the Bose would cause me to increase the mid and highs to compensate.

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones would be better. They are surprisingly flat, and the large, over-the-ear pads do block a lot of sound.

:-Don
+1

The Sennheisers are great and excellent bang for the buck. They do not have active noise cancellation but they work well isolating you from your environment, and for pro audio they are much better than (more expensive) consumer grade headphones.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:59 AM   #6
BenK-msx

I have audio technica anc9 and for noise reduction they are excellent but also excellent headphones generally, great sound, a touch crispy/bright but I can eq the monitor if need be. Like most they are bass strong but they do so in very clear way, not hyped or muddy.

Got them for a holiday but now a fixture in my little studio. (Not that I mix with headphones, more for tracking and checking )

Last edited by BenK-msx; 03-31-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:24 AM   #7
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Schenk View Post
Because of this they are terrible for mixing.
That's a general problem with many headphones, especially when noise cancelation or a fully closed design is wanted.

The best headphones for my taste are Beyerdynamic T90 in combination with a Beyer A20 headphone amp ... pretty expensive and neather closed nor noise cancelation. The T90 have a huge sound stage due to ther open design ... and an unbeatable resolution, you hear things you never heard before in the same recordings you listened thousand times before, no joke.

Chris
Old 02-13-2019, 04:08 AM   #8
tonykakkar

I also have audio technica ATH-ANC700BT. The Internal battery provides up to 25 hours of continuous use of Bluetooth wireless and noise-cancelling technology, and up to 1,000 hours on standby.

But if you want other good options at low price then you can refer to this list

https://www.thecrazybuyers.com/best-...r-100-dollars/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes-...r-100-of-2018/
Old 02-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #9
Fabian

I have Bose QC15, QC25, and QC35, all of which are great to use on long flights, the noise cancelling works great. Also, they are very flattering to the sound, everything I put into them sounds good, really good.

Because of this, I do not use them for mixing.