Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-30-2020, 12:24 PM   #1
nickfr84
Human being with feelings

Default Track is hard-panned but I'm still hearing it in both headphones

Hi all,
So I'm doing some mixing from home and I noticed that I'm hearing hard-panned sounds in both ears.
Since I'm at home I'm not going through an interface or anything. I'm on Windows 10 so my audio system is Wave Out. I've looked up some other threads on this issue and saw one potential solution is to turn Windows sound off which I've done (or, at least, I believe I've done).
Master track output is in stereo.
Panning definitely has effect - as I pan it definitely favors the side I'm panning to so partially panned things like vocals and guitars sound fine (to my ears at least) but I noticed that the tracks that I've hard panned are still coming through to a fairly noticeable level in the ear that they are NOT supposed to be in.
I tried turning all plug ins off and that didn't seem to make a difference. In fact I went to another track that I haven't done any plug in work on (just basic editing and panning) and found the issue is happening there as well.
I've tried two pairs of headphones so I don't think it's that. Any one have any ideas or potential solutions?
Thanks,
Nick
nickfr84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:10 PM   #2
Stella645

Make sure all windows audio "enhancements" are disabled.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
nickfr84

Hey,
Thanks for the response. I guess I'm not sure if all the "enhancements" are disabled. Any common steps or places to look? I looked into it just by going into the sound menu and it didn't look like anything was on but I'm not positive.
I did find a work around for this issue by downloading ASIO4ALL and with that all the panning is working perfectly so the problem is solved, though I am still curious what the issue was in the first place.
Thanks,
Nick
Old 03-31-2020, 03:57 AM   #4
Stella645

You're better off using ASIO4all or WASAPI as driver.

Winodws enhancements are at Sound Control Panel/Related Settings/Sound Control Panel - Select device and open properties/enhancements tab - also Spatial sound tab.

There's a possibilty that your soundcard has it's own software with enhancements too...assuming it's realtek check if you have any realtek software installed.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:01 AM   #5
nickfr84

It is indeed RealTek. Thanks so much!!