Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 04-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
spinlud
Human being with feelings

Default New modulation system

Hi!
This is how i imagine to integrate a new modulation system in Reaper, mixing Reaper concepts and some other (mostly from native instruments massive and bitwig) in a new environment.

FR Tracker:
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=5173
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firstly a little preamble.

The parameter modulation system in Reaper is powerful, but in my opinion it has several negative aspects:

1) To use an lfo/audio control signal to modulate different parameters at once you have to use the link parameter option...this means that for each parameter you want to modulate you have to find the parameter, enable parameter modulation, click on 'link from parameter' option, find from a 'big' list of parameters the parameter you want to link from, adjust offset and scale values to obtain the desired modulation.
This can not be considered an easy and fast way to modulate parameters and have a negative impact of creativity (it takes several minutes only to build a 'complex' macro modulation).

2) With the actual system you can't know in an easy/fast way which parameters are controlled by another source. You have to manually check parameter per parameter the relative parameter modulation window and see what type of modulation is going there (if it has an lfo, an audio control signal, or if it is linked to another parameter).

3) Actually is not possible to control Lfo or Audio control signal parameters with other Lfo/Audio contorl signal devices, and it is not possible to make automations for that parameters. For example it is not possible to make an automation for the lfo rate, or it is not possible to control the lfo strength by an audio control signal or another lfo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The concept

NOTE: the graphic schemes i've done are purely indicative, they should only show you the idea. I have not any graphic skill, so anyone talentend and interested can make a new graphic for this idea.

My idea is to replace the actual UI plugin area inside the FX track window with a new area, we can call it "MODULATION AREA".
This new area should be divided in three different sections (you can think these like frames in an html page):

1)Modulators section
2)Macro section
3)Plugins UI section

Here a graphic scheme:

And here a schematic legend:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Modulator section

In this section you can add modulators like LFOs, Audio Control Signal devices, and why not also other types of modulators if JS will make it possible like Step modulator or Envelope modulator.

Each modulator have an 'Assign button' that allows to modulate other parameters. Clicking on it will switch the assign-mode to ON for that modulator (the assign-button will start blinking) and you can assign modulation amounts clicking and dragging the mouse on a parameter knob.
Re-clicking the 'Assign-button' will switch the assign-mode to OFF (the button stop blinking) and all parameter knobs switch back to default behavior.

This concept is taken from Bitwig, and it is very fast and super-easy to use:

Each parameter knob have a modulation bar around it that shows the modulation amount for that parameter relative to the modulator that is in assign-mode=ON (this is a mix between Bitwig concept and native instruments massive concept).

Note: each parameter of a modulator can be modulated by another modulator. This will give maximum flexibility like in a modular system.

In the top-right corner of Modulators section i have added two buttons:

+ button) open a context menù to add a new modulator in the section (LFO, Audio COntrol SIgnal, Step Mod, Envelope Mod, other modulator)

- button) remove selected modulator

This section has a scroll bar to scroll the list of the added modulators.

NOTE: it could be nice to have each modulator to have the same (small) size, so for example in one row we can put 2 or 3 modulators, before switch to another raw.

Here a schematic example of an LFO:

In the top-right corner each modulator have a button that shows in a popup window a list of the parameters modulated by that modulator, for an easy and ultra-fast overview.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Macro section

In this section it is possible to add macro knobs to control other parameters. Like a modulator, a macro knob have an 'Assign-button' that allows to modulate other parameters entering the assign-mode=ON (button blinking). Each macro knob can be renamed and automated.

Note: a macro knob can be modulated by other modulators.

+ button) add a new macro knob

- button) remove selected macro

This section has a scroll bar to scroll the list of the added macros.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plugins UI section

In this section there are the plugins UI for the current track. Each plugin has its own sub-section with its relative parameters.

A difference from Reaper actual UI: we can filter which plugin parameters we want to see.

Each plugin sub-section has three buttons in the top-right corner:

+ button) Open a context menu: Add last touched parameter/ Add plugin parameter from list (open plugin parameters list)
- button) remove selected parameter
filter button) Open a context menu: Show only automated and modulated parameters/Show all plugin parameters

Each parameter knob has a modulation bar around it where it is possible to see the modulation amount for the current modulator in assign-mode=ON.

Right-click on a plugin parameter open a context menu:
1) Clear all modulations for this parameter
2) Clear all automations for this parameter
3) Add an automation lane for this parameter
4) Add this parameter in track control
5) Remove this parameter
6) other options..

Ech parameter knob has the parameter/alias name on top of it and the current parameter value under it.

Each plugin sub-section has its internal scroll-bar to scroll the list of plugin parameters.

The plugins UI section has a scroll bar to scroll the list of plugin's UI.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advantages

1) Full modular system: each knob parameter (plugin/macro/modulator) can be modulated from another macro/modulator or automated. This means you can also modulate an lfo rate by another lfo, or an audio control signal strength parameter can be modulated by another lfo...etc.

2) You have the full control of all the modulations of the current track in one window: you can add Modulators in modulator section, macro knobs in the Macro section and assign them to the plugin parameter in the PLugin UI section, all in the same window.

3) You can assign a macro/modulator to multiple parameters in an easy and ultra-fast way using the assign-mode: click the modulator assign button, click and drag the mouse on parameters you want to modulate. Done.

4)You have an easy access/view to the modulated parameters by a modulator:
- using the show modulated parameters list button on the top-right corner of modulator.
- switch to assign-mode ON for that modulator will show the modulation amount for each parameter in the modulation bar around the knobs.

5) you can filter the displayed parameters in the plugins UI, so you can focus only on which you are interested to modulate/automate

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final considerations

I know. This is a lot of work, a lot of coding. But how wonderful Reaper will be with a modulation system like this? This is just my big dream for Reaper future^^.

Note: any user that wants to improove this idea with its own ideas is welcome!

Final note: i apologize for my poor english, SRY!

Last edited by spinlud; 04-20-2014 at 07:31 AM.
spinlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:37 AM   #2
spinlud

Updated images with thumbnails for easier reading/replying.

Any feedback on this? No one interested?
Old 04-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
XITE-1/4LIVE

I already use a 32 x 32 Matrix and place it anywhere I want since I mix in DSP using ASIO from Reaper. This is really a great idea and hope to ease some of my DSP power by having something like this in Native.

Great Idea.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:08 AM   #4
spinlud

Quote:
I already use a 32 x 32 Matrix and place it anywhere I want since I mix in DSP using ASIO from Reaper. This is really a great idea and hope to ease some of my DSP power by having something like this in Native.

Great Idea
I think that the overall idea could be improoved/simplified (although i've tried to be as polish as possible), but we need feedbacks/suggestions from other users.

Come on guys 230 views and no other feedbacks? A modulation system like this will be absolutely killer in Reaper, you can do/control complex modulations across parameters in 1/10 of the time it actual requires and expand the modulation possibilities (for example a modulator can modulate other modulators).

Maybe i explained bad the concept? Let me know if there are points not so clear :\
Old 04-28-2014, 05:40 AM   #5
EvilDragon

Congrats for taking a lot of time to break down the details and everything. But I am not sure if Cockos will swap their Parameter Modulation paradigm with this one... that would break backwards compatibility with project files, which is a distinct no-no and Cockos always tries to avoid that when updating Reaper. And there's no point in having two different modulation concepts at once... so perhaps you should concentrate on explaining what additions should be done to the PM system itself, and how would it fit into current Reaper's UI paradigm.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:49 AM   #6
airon

Currently we have parameter modulation instantiated per parameter, self-contained and linkable within the track only.

This could well be a new source of modulation to augment what is already there. It need not take its place.

The downside to our current system is the laughable access speed(menu monkeys, that's us), poor overview project- and barely track-wide, the lack of a preset system and no modulation spreading beyond a track without extensive tricks.

Modulation kinda act like DCAs do. They're control sources on top of existing data. Why not spread one to multiple targets. The local per-parameter stuff can simply sit on top of that.

This could be quite the inspiration for a serious control update, though I'd introduce easier-to-read formatting to the actual request in the Issue Track.

Btw, this is how actual DCAs work. A routed control source being added to other data, but with smart setup and useful access features.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
Fergler

Evildragon I thought the point of big number upgrades (4 to 5) are to bring new features forward, breaking compat if necessary. Keeping compat is for decimal upgrades.

If Reaper isn't doing that there's not much room for a way forward.

Anyway, I agree with these things. Once you have a lot of parameter modulation going on it is really easy to lose track. There needs to be an easier way to see what is being modulated at all times; a list, better display. Here is an example of something I think would work very well to give you an idea (really crude ):

That way you can see just by looking at a track's effects what is going on. Double clicking one would open it's window.

Another idea is that if you have parameter modulation going on, the insert in the Mixer is shaded a different colour.

The other thing that would be nice to have is if we could modulate by pitch as well. ReaTune is capable of tracking pitch pretty well - if that idea was ported over to the modulation with some controls such as smoothing, you could modulate an instrument by it's range. Would be awesome for guitars and synths which don't have a built in matrix already.

It's not altogether that hard to remember what's going on in a project, but if you leave it and come back to it it may be harder.

Last edited by Fergler; 04-28-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #8
spinlud

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Congrats for taking a lot of time to break down the details and everything. But I am not sure if Cockos will swap their Parameter Modulation paradigm with this one... that would break backwards compatibility with project files, which is a distinct no-no and Cockos always tries to avoid that when updating Reaper. And there's no point in having two different modulation concepts at once... so perhaps you should concentrate on explaining what additions should be done to the PM system itself, and how would it fit into current Reaper's UI paradigm.
Well, the backward compatibility is not easy but i think it could be done. Any old modulation will be displayed on the knobs of the new interface, and will be instantiated a modulator for each modulation chain...not so hard to understand, a bit harder to implement.
I'm agree with you that is pointless to have 2 modulation systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon
Currently we have parameter modulation instantiated per parameter, self-contained and linkable within the track only.

This could well be a new source of modulation to augment what is already there. It need not take its place.

The downside to our current system is the laughable access speed(menu monkeys, that's us), poor overview project- and barely track-wide, the lack of a preset system and no modulation spreading beyond a track without extensive tricks.

Modulation kinda act like DCAs do. They're control sources on top of existing data. Why not spread one to multiple targets. The local per-parameter stuff can simply sit on top of that.

This could be quite the inspiration for a serious control update, though I'd introduce easier-to-read formatting to the actual request in the Issue Track.

Btw, this is how actual DCAs work. A routed control source being added to other data, but with smart setup and useful access features.
Since we have the generic UI window in Reaper, why don't use it in more powerful ways? I don't see many uses of it actually, except if you hate to work with the plugin native UI wich usualy isn't.

The actuals Reaper LFO and Audio constrol signal could be easily integrated in the new system, although it will be nice to improove a little the lfo design.

Anyway i strongly reccomend to download the free demo of bitwig and tweak a bit with its modulation system to understand what we are talking about (one thing is read, an other is to use it by yourself).
Old 04-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #9
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Evildragon I thought the point of big number upgrades (4 to 5) are to bring new features forward, breaking compat if necessary. Keeping compat is for decimal upgrades.

If Reaper isn't doing that there's not much room for a way forward.
Reaper is trying to break compatibility as LITTLE as possible, regardless of big or small version numbers.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #10
_TIP_

Wow, that would be fantastic! I'm coming from Ableton so this is the only thing i'm missing in reaper... Great request spinlud !!!
_TIP_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #11
chilledpanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinlud View Post
Well, the backward compatibility is not easy but i think it could be done. Any old modulation will be displayed on the knobs of the new interface, and will be instantiated a modulator for each modulation chain...not so hard to understand, a bit harder to implement.
I'm agree with you that is pointless to have 2 modulation systems.

Since we have the generic UI window in Reaper, why don't use it in more powerful ways? I don't see many uses of it actually, except if you hate to work with the plugin native UI wich usualy isn't.

The actuals Reaper LFO and Audio constrol signal could be easily integrated in the new system, although it will be nice to improove a little the lfo design.

Anyway i strongly reccomend to download the free demo of bitwig and tweak a bit with its modulation system to understand what we are talking about (one thing is read, an other is to use it by yourself).
If the modulation parameter settings were exposed as in set/get functionality in the reaper extension plugin api someone indeed could write a similar visual user interface ala the bitwig image on top if the existing system.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:31 AM   #12
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Reaper is trying to break compatibility as LITTLE as possible, regardless of big or small version numbers.
The radical stuff simply deprecates the old behaviours. In other words, you can still load old sessions, but the old behaviour is no longer the default and is marked as deprecated.

Panning, some ReaEQ stuff and probably a whole stack more that somebody here is sure to remember has been handled this way.

I'm quietly working on a proposal to pool control resources in an efficient manner which might work quite well visually for a modular control source approach. A shot of the current document is here(1.2 MB).

I'd certainly like to use macro controls that I can spill on to touch sensitive faders whenever I like. To me, modulation, controll surfaces and automation are performance tools.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
Dawmangler

This was exactly what I was thinking. This is the only thing that lets reaper down .i made another post as i had searched for macros ,for any other threads.
Dawmangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:42 PM   #14
TheJonDoe

Bump.

It's crazy to think that this isn't getting more traction.

Great work! Let's hope someone's listening...

Voted.
TheJonDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #15
AncientMind

Default Sounds very interesting...

although I also ask myself if Cockos is willing to implement it. I already calculated to test out Ableton or Bitwig... I'd like to see it in REAPER... but in the end I have to buy the software that comes with needed features.

At least I can see no approach to such ways of improving Automation at all ...on Cockos' way to REAPER 5.x...
AncientMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #16
TheJonDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientMind View Post
although I also ask myself if Cockos is willing to implement it. I already calculated to test out Ableton or Bitwig... I'd like to see it in REAPER... but in the end I have to buy the software that comes with needed features.

At least I can see no approach to such ways of improving Automation at all ...on Cockos' way to REAPER 5.x...
Yeah, I would too... Problem is, Ableton doesn't have PDC so good luck using any kind of plugin in it.

Bitwig is in Alpha state, you'll get annoyed at how it's not able to do most things outside of bare bones.

This is probably the only big vulnerability of Reaper before it becomes God status :/
TheJonDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:33 PM   #17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJonDoe View Post
Yeah, I would too... Problem is, Ableton doesn't have PDC so good luck using any kind of plugin in it.
Well, it did already have PDC, but it did not apply to automation / modulation (which was indeed a big problem, no debate about that). However, that argument is no longer valid (except for people who are stuck on v9.1.x, because Ableton also "Dropped compatibility for Windows XP and Vista, OS X 10.5 and 10.6"); as Ableton Live has PDC as of v9.2b1: "Automation and Modulation are now fully latency compensated."
Old 02-06-2016, 04:54 AM   #18
Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinlud View Post
Hi!
This is how i imagine to integrate a new modulation system in Reaper, mixing Reaper concepts and some other (mostly from native instruments massive and bitwig) in a new environment.

FR Tracker:
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=5173
Firstly a little preamble.

The parameter modulation system in Reaper is powerful, but in my opinion it has several negative aspects:

1) To use an lfo/audio control signal to modulate different parameters at once you have to use the link parameter option...this means that for each parameter you want to modulate you have to find the parameter, enable parameter modulation, click on 'link from parameter' option, find from a 'big' list of parameters the parameter you want to link from, adjust offset and scale values to obtain the desired modulation.
This can not be considered an easy and fast way to modulate parameters and have a negative impact of creativity (it takes several minutes only to build a 'complex' macro modulation).

2) With the actual system you can't know in an easy/fast way which parameters are controlled by another source. You have to manually check parameter per parameter the relative parameter modulation window and see what type of modulation is going there (if it has an lfo, an audio control signal, or if it is linked to another parameter).

3) Actually is not possible to control Lfo or Audio control signal parameters with other Lfo/Audio contorl signal devices, and it is not possible to make automations for that parameters. For example it is not possible to make an automation for the lfo rate, or it is not possible to control the lfo strength by an audio control signal or another lfo.

The concept

NOTE: the graphic schemes i've done are purely indicative, they should only show you the idea. I have not any graphic skill, so anyone talentend and interested can make a new graphic for this idea.

My idea is to replace the actual UI plugin area inside the FX track window with a new area, we can call it "MODULATION AREA".
This new area should be divided in three different sections (you can think these like frames in an html page):

1)Modulators section
2)Macro section
3)Plugins UI section

Here a graphic scheme:

And here a schematic legend:

Modulator section

In this section you can add modulators like LFOs, Audio Control Signal devices, and why not also other types of modulators if JS will make it possible like Step modulator or Envelope modulator.

Each modulator have an 'Assign button' that allows to modulate other parameters. Clicking on it will switch the assign-mode to ON for that modulator (the assign-button will start blinking) and you can assign modulation amounts clicking and dragging the mouse on a parameter knob.
Re-clicking the 'Assign-button' will switch the assign-mode to OFF (the button stop blinking) and all parameter knobs switch back to default behavior.

This concept is taken from Bitwig, and it is very fast and super-easy to use:

Each parameter knob have a modulation bar around it that shows the modulation amount for that parameter relative to the modulator that is in assign-mode=ON (this is a mix between Bitwig concept and native instruments massive concept).

Note: each parameter of a modulator can be modulated by another modulator. This will give maximum flexibility like in a modular system.

+ button) open a context menù to add a new modulator in the section (LFO, Audio COntrol SIgnal, Step Mod, Envelope Mod, other modulator)

- button) remove selected modulator

This section has a scroll bar to scroll the list of the added modulators.

NOTE: it could be nice to have each modulator to have the same (small) size, so for example in one row we can put 2 or 3 modulators, before switch to another raw.

Here a schematic example of an LFO:

In the top-right corner each modulator have a button that shows in a popup window a list of the parameters modulated by that modulator, for an easy and ultra-fast overview.

Macro section

In this section it is possible to add macro knobs to control other parameters. Like a modulator, a macro knob have an 'Assign-button' that allows to modulate other parameters entering the assign-mode=ON (button blinking). Each macro knob can be renamed and automated.

Note: a macro knob can be modulated by other modulators.

+ button) add a new macro knob

- button) remove selected macro

This section has a scroll bar to scroll the list of the added macros.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plugins UI section

In this section there are the plugins UI for the current track. Each plugin has its own sub-section with its relative parameters.

A difference from Reaper actual UI: we can filter which plugin parameters we want to see.

Each plugin sub-section has three buttons in the top-right corner:

+ button) Open a context menu: Add last touched parameter/ Add plugin parameter from list (open plugin parameters list)
- button) remove selected parameter
filter button) Open a context menu: Show only automated and modulated parameters/Show all plugin parameters

Each parameter knob has a modulation bar around it where it is possible to see the modulation amount for the current modulator in assign-mode=ON.

Right-click on a plugin parameter open a context menu:
1) Clear all modulations for this parameter
2) Clear all automations for this parameter
3) Add an automation lane for this parameter
4) Add this parameter in track control
5) Remove this parameter
6) other options..

Ech parameter knob has the parameter/alias name on top of it and the current parameter value under it.

Each plugin sub-section has its internal scroll-bar to scroll the list of plugin parameters.

The plugins UI section has a scroll bar to scroll the list of plugin's UI.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advantages

1) Full modular system: each knob parameter (plugin/macro/modulator) can be modulated from another macro/modulator or automated. This means you can also modulate an lfo rate by another lfo, or an audio control signal strength parameter can be modulated by another lfo...etc.

2) You have the full control of all the modulations of the current track in one window: you can add Modulators in modulator section, macro knobs in the Macro section and assign them to the plugin parameter in the PLugin UI section, all in the same window.

3) You can assign a macro/modulator to multiple parameters in an easy and ultra-fast way using the assign-mode: click the modulator assign button, click and drag the mouse on parameters you want to modulate. Done.

4)You have an easy access/view to the modulated parameters by a modulator:
- using the show modulated parameters list button on the top-right corner of modulator.
- switch to assign-mode ON for that modulator will show the modulation amount for each parameter in the modulation bar around the knobs.

5) you can filter the displayed parameters in the plugins UI, so you can focus only on which you are interested to modulate/automate

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final considerations

I know. This is a lot of work, a lot of coding. But how wonderful Reaper will be with a modulation system like this? This is just my big dream for Reaper future^^.

Note: any user that wants to improove this idea with its own ideas is welcome!

Final note: i apologize for my poor english, SRY!
++++1
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:57 AM   #19
Masi

I've only seen Ableton Live macros in action in Youtobe videos and to me they look like a great way to manipulate many parameters at once. But there are probably other ways the main point for me is that they should provide the user with an overview of the modulations and a quick way to add, remove and manipulate them.

I don't know what the "modulation paradigm" of Reaper is, but I hope it's not prohibiting a visual representation of all modulations of a single track.

BTW, I like the idea of a) modulation of modulators and b) custom modulators.
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #20
AndreyMarchenko

I will bump this topic because TS did a great job and this idea should be main on what devs should be focused!
AndreyMarchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:51 PM   #21
AndreyMarchenko

Bump! Please make your choice with this request! Today is 2016!
Old 02-25-2016, 03:31 AM   #22
Gass n Klang

+10000
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:49 AM   #23
Sju

Bitwig's modulation capabilities and workflow in Reaper? Oh yes please.
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:24 AM   #24
AndreyMarchenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sju View Post
Bitwig's modulation capabilities and workflow in Reaper? Oh yes please.
Yes, mate! Exactly! And if they will do it - headshot!
Old 02-25-2016, 05:47 AM   #25
EvilDragon

Just keep your hopes in check. I think that there's little to no chance of this happening.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:49 AM   #26
Sju

That's what they said about notation editor not long ago
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:07 AM   #27
EvilDragon

Well, no. Notation has been confirmed by schwa more than a year ago, so... yeah.

Reaper has its parameter modulation system. I don't see devs in any need of copying modulation systems from other DAWs. I just don't. Well, wait and see. In 5 years it's still going to be pretty much the same.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:37 PM   #28
AndreyMarchenko

Please vote, guys! This is a one of important parts of every DAW!
Old 03-22-2016, 01:50 AM   #29
Gass n Klang

i'd love to have that, too. bitwig does an awesome job in modulating things.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:16 AM   #30
Droinkus

As I work in an environment surrounded by PT users, one of the main reasons I can stay committed to working in Reaper is the Parameter Modulation feature which I use daily.

Even just being able to have some way to make managing all the floating windows via docking or something similar would be most welcome but this proposal is awesome.

I can't +1 this enough
Droinkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:06 PM   #31
AndreyMarchenko

Bump for this once again. This is one most important features for this DAW!
Old 05-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #32
Gass n Klang

oh yes. It's the reason I have a look at ableton at the moment. Modulating everything on a higher level even if a value is automated is a great thing. Macros and everything else.

Last edited by Gass n Klang; 05-17-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #33
X-Tech

This idea is very complex. Anyway i would like to little upgrade to Reaper modulation as it is now - and enough i guess:

Ability to change values of modulation parameters with envelopes on track
+
Ability to restart modulation lfo when note triggers (button) (controled on/off by envelope too)
+
Ability in sync mode to jump through 1/32 1/16 1/8 1/4 1/2 1/1 parts while moving this handler instead of float values (usefull with envelope speed control)
+
Ability to choose shape (by envelope)
+
Ability to control depth (by envelope)

In Reaper you have link parameters. Only one thing which make thing easier would be to just copy link of parameters between same plugins.
This is your macross...

ANYWAY THERE are some usefull ideas but this as i mentioned above (envelopes to modulation parameter i guess most usefull + retrigger lfo while note hits)
I not need to copy other daws but these small ideas which i mentioned could change modulation parameter to make it more controlable - which will do the job perfectly in single lfo - which is most need.
No more is needed to have full control over param modulation in Reaper than "+" which i mentioned...think about this few seconds - this give you everything which you need - rest is linkin params which is possible in Reaper easy......;

Last edited by X-Tech; 05-17-2016 at 07:45 PM.
X-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:41 AM   #34
AndreyMarchenko

Want to up this thread! Devs, we waiting so long
Old 12-24-2016, 12:30 PM   #35
mpl

Should I say this is already partly implemented in MappingPanel (macros at least)?
Theoretically I can extend LFO stuff for support custom shapes, formulas with ABC knobs control etc but this will be useless since REAPER scripts control rate is too big and not editable/not depends on render state (and the code is already pretty complex).
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:18 PM   #36
mschnell

To me this is yet another great example for something that should not be within Reaper but done with plugins that are very happily doable thanks to the various API's Reaper features.

Thanks mpl for providing a decent tool.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:05 PM   #37
AndreyMarchenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
Should I say this is already partly implemented in MappingPanel (macros at least)?
Theoretically I can extend LFO stuff for support custom shapes, formulas with ABC knobs control etc but this will be useless since REAPER scripts control rate is too big and not editable/not depends on render state (and the code is already pretty complex).
Sorry about this but this is completely UI/UX mess with very nice core features.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:37 PM   #38
mschnell

I did not try the plugin, but usually "this is completely UI mess" (without any suggestions for improvement) translates to "I am not used to this and not willing to learn".

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #39
ashcat_lt

If we use Reaper's built in audio engine for "Control Voltage" signals, most of this becomes moot. If we had sample accurate Parameter Modulation it would be better, and if we had a pure (linear, not rectified) CV mode in PM it would be a little easier, but we can do it now reasonably well now with a couple very simple JS plugs.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:02 PM   #40
AndreyMarchenko

Up for this thread