Old 08-05-2008, 07:45 AM   #1
andymc499
Human being with feelings

Default How can I remove reverb?

It's a simple question, I know. I have a track with way to much verb. What's something I can do to dry it up?
andymc499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:14 AM   #2
stevoj

Hm, sounds difficult. I presume that you mean the reverb is already 'printed' onto the track. I doubt if there's any way to remove it without it sounding *REALLY* unnatural. Is it a complete track or just a single instrument / part ? If the latter, you may be able to try a bit of gentle gating to remove some of the reverb in the silent sections. Correct gating will generally tighten things up a bit, but it may sound awful. I think you're stuck. Sorry.

Stephen
stevoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Not much IMHO, depending on how much "too much" it is. You can try to use an expander/gate like ReaGate to turn down the reverb tails, that's pretty much all. If the reverb is very loud, this will sound kinda strange since there's no satisfying way (I know of) to get the reverb off the voice while the voice is still sounding.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
sstillwell

Try something like a transient designer and turn the "sustain" down. That works to dry up overly-roomy drums, it might work okay for overly wet tracks, too.

Just be aware...there is NOTHING you can do that isn't going to leave artifacts in the sound.

gratuitous plugin plug: Transient Monster - http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=18

Scott
Old 08-05-2008, 08:20 AM   #5
darjama

Is it a mono or stereo track? If it's stereo, and the reverb is stereo, you could do some mid-side processing to attenuate it.
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:41 AM   #6
Till

some fast expansion, optimally multi-band ranged. Waves C4 and LinMB can do that, unfortunately there are no free alternatives...

"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck." - Bob Brozman

My Jesusonic FX - Xenakios' Extension

REAPER FR Tracker - what is that?

The "How Stuff works in REAPER": video blog
Till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:57 AM   #7
martygras

I have not tried this yet, but if you copy the single stereo track to 2 separate tracks, you could reverse the phase of one of the tracks. Maybe play with panning a little.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
andymc499

Thanks for the quick responses, yall. I probably should've given more info too. It is stereo and instrumental only. I will try some of things you guys suggested. Thanks again
andymc499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #9

I've wondered about this too, I know there's deverb plugins nowadays, could always download a demo if it's just needed on one song.... I have a drum track like and a bass track that are just swamped in reverb and although when it was recorded, the reverb was really inspiring, I wish I had more control....
4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #10
karbomusic

The same way you unmix paint or get pee out of the pool.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #11
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I wish I had more control....
Yesterday was just as lucky as today,because people have had more control all along> with multitrack recordings.
Reaper gives a lot of tracks-but! when it comes to rendering- 8channels is it's current 'limit'(8mono or 4 stereo)
1 or 2 channels can be 100%dry -so that leaves 6 or 7 other channels to use a selection of different reverbs-all neatly in 1 recorded file,which can be exploded,cut,copied,muted per channel etc etc laterz on. =)
OOOO00ohh how sweet the sound of musics! ♫🎹
Not all interfaces will play these files back if the channel count is not able to be set.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #12
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

You can try Acon Deverberate. Depending on your track, the reverb settings, etc. it can gtive good results.
https://acondigital.com/products/deverberate/
sinkmusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:11 PM   #13
martifingers

As people say, pretty much impossible with current technologies (so probably it will be a phone app in two years time!) Meanwhile here's a home made recipe with free plug-ins:
https://riddlermike.wordpress.com/20...-free-plugins/
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #14
bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
As people say, pretty much impossible with current technologies (so probably it will be a phone app in two years time!) Meanwhile here's a home made recipe with free plug-ins:
https://riddlermike.wordpress.com/20...-free-plugins/
This claims to do it

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...RoCUjIQAvD_BwE

Last edited by bob; 07-20-2017 at 08:53 AM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:14 AM   #15
martifingers

Yes, izotope are getting somewhere.
Slightly OT but I once had a rather bad field recording of a speech made in a very noisy environment (air conditioning fan, room reverb, background hum etc.) recorded on a cheap cassette... Pretty impossible job really but Audition and izotope were somewhat useful and the client was happy.
I was partly persuaded by this demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hadr-GIivcA

Not perfect but good enough for its purpose (I think a modern accompaniment was added).

It's funny but back in the 1970's this was perfectly achievable apparently - if you can believe The Conversation!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoaFl_D0S8w From 5.00 onwards!
Old 07-28-2017, 04:21 AM   #16
Softsynth

Andymc499,
Try subtle use of Accusonus Era-R. You can pick up Accusonus Era Bundle in a package deal for $79.

Era-R does reverb.
Era-N handles noise.

Noise and reverb killers require a fair bit of tweaking and listening, and re-tweaking and listening. Multiple instances at low levels can sometimes help. They are very frequency dependent too. Sometimes colouration can be impressively low, others not so. Ideally of course you don't want to have to use it in the first place, but sometimes needs must.

Martifingers,
The tech in the film The Conversation was actually criticized for being already a little out of date at the time when it came out!
Yes everything that Harry Caul does in the movie was possible at the time. Not seen your clip, but I have the full movie, which is great.
What Harry Caul is doing isn't about Hi-Fi quality. His character (and clients) wouldn't be concerned with audiophile niceties regarding naturalness and lack of colouration. They just need to hear what is said in their conversation.

Last edited by Softsynth; 07-28-2017 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Reduced waffle.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:09 PM   #17
vdubreeze

About two years ago someone gave me a file in a panic because an interview was done in a high school where, due to the interviewees time constraints, had to be done at her office. As usual, it wasn't a ridiculous idea but the audio was way, way too full of reflections, and ugly standing wave ones to boot. I don't own any de-verbing tools so I downloaded every thing and demoed every version that allowed a working demo. I can't remember the details but I found two or three that did enough in the demo state and did two low level passes with them all lined up and none doing too much by themselves.

I was skeptical but it made me a believer. It didn't turn it into a track that sounded dry and awesome soloed but it did make it usable and not reflect-y sounding in context. Worked far better than anything I could come up with using standard tools not made specifically for this purpose.

It *can* be done (unless the track is monstrously washed in verb), and the free demos some have will show you how far they can take you.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:30 AM   #18
martifingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Andymc499,

Martifingers,
The tech in the film The Conversation was actually criticized for being already a little out of date at the time when it came out!
Yes everything that Harry Caul does in the movie was possible at the time. Not seen your clip, but I have the full movie, which is great.
What Harry Caul is doing isn't about Hi-Fi quality. His character (and clients) wouldn't be concerned with audiophile niceties regarding naturalness and lack of colouration. They just need to hear what is said in their conversation.

I was fully aware about the issue not being hi-fi quality etc. My point is that the movie shows Harry patching in his little custon box and with two little tweaks manages indeed to capture pristine sound. Great for fiction but impossible then and probably now I think you would agree, if you view the clip.
Incidentally I saw the movie when first released - still worth seeing I agree.
I wonder if there are any other movies where the subtleties of sound manipulation (whether for surveillance or studio recording) are (mis)represented.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:20 PM   #19
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
I was fully aware about the issue not being hi-fi quality etc. My point is that the movie shows Harry patching in his little custon box and with two little tweaks manages indeed to capture pristine sound. Great for fiction but impossible then and probably now I think you would agree, if you view the clip.
Incidentally I saw the movie when first released - still worth seeing I agree.
I wonder if there are any other movies where the subtleties of sound manipulation (whether for surveillance or studio recording) are (mis)represented.
Yes true, cinematic license regarding the exaggerated clarity taken from the source material.
The theater audience need to understand the words too, hence OTT presentation of what is really possible. It seems to me with more bandwidth than would likely be left of the signal, once all that noise and distortion was filtered for clarity.

Last edited by Softsynth; 07-31-2017 at 01:11 AM.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:34 PM   #20
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Till View Post
some fast expansion, optimally multi-band ranged. Waves C4 and LinMB can do that, unfortunately there are no free alternatives...
There are literally hundreds of free alternatives.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote