Old 07-29-2019, 09:06 AM   #1
TorlanDelta
Human being with feelings

Default Macro controls for multiple VST params?

I need to control multiple paremeters in my vst plugins on a track with one knob, ideally. This is most comfortable for me as I like to create complex evolving patches. Most of the time you can do that inside a vst with things like Serum's macros, but if you are layering, or relying on multiple plugins - it's exponentially hard to do so, as reaper will have you controlling a knob per a single parameter with no option to aggregate it into one thing with complex rules, like in ableton's rack macros thing.

I was curious whether it is yet implemented natively or exists in a form of a script/extension/etc.

If not then I guess I will post to feature request.
TorlanDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #2
mschnell

There are many ways to do this, but not "out of the box"
One versatile way I know of is placing multiple instances of ReaPack -> "Midi Convert to CC" here you can convert a single input to another one with definable start and end points.

do this for several Out CC#s and then assign each to one of your parameters. [Param] -> "Parameter list" -> "Parameter Modulation / Midi Link"

Now you only need to generate the Input CC#. As a "Knob" you can e.g. use "Slider to Midi PS" when you use "Program change" as an input for the converters or you can use some Midi hardware device and set the converter to whatever same sends.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 07-29-2019 at 09:50 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:40 AM   #3
TorlanDelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
There are many ways to do this, but not "out of the box"
One versatile way I know of is placing multiple instances of ReaPack -> "Midi Convert to CC" here you can convert a single input to another one with definable start and end points.

do this for several Out CC#s and then assign each to one of your parameters. [Param] -> "Parameter list" -> "Parameter Modulation / Midi Link"

Now you only need to generate the Input CC#. As a "Knob" you can use "Slider to Midi PS" when you use PC as an input for converter or you can use some Midi hardware device and set the converter to what same sends.

-Michael
Thanks, this will do as a workaround. I will save it to my FX chains and stuff.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
Tobbe

Can this be of any help: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#Pt2XcCXS1Tc

I tried it just now and I used Helm and created three tracks to control reverb settings in Helm. Then I created a VCA track to control all three reverb settings with VCA track fader. It works and all three knobs in Helm is moving at the same time.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:57 PM   #5
mschnell

Seems like a nasty workaround to use the volume of an audio signal as a control signal, but it's great to see the tricks that are doable with Reaper,
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 07-30-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:42 AM   #6
Tomm

There was a similar plugin/technique developed many years ago, to control parameters of multiple VSTs on multiple tracks. It's pretty straight forward, and I think someone even developed a "customizable" JS UI thingy where you could place your own knobs/faders to configure your own control surface config... but I couldn't find that, just this 8-track 4-band EQ version:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=26076
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #7
TorlanDelta

After much ado I found a working solution!

There IS a working out-of-the box solution to this! Bet'cha guys gonna be so happy I found it! https://imgur.com/a/1o8cLYo

You have to touch a parameter, then click 'Param' at the top right of the FX window, press 'Param Modulation/Link' and choose 'Link from MIDI or FX' and choose the param to which it should be bound.

There's also a package in ReaPack called Macro Controller, you can get it if you don't want to bind to any functional plugins.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:59 AM   #8
jheinrich06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorlanDelta View Post

There IS a working out-of-the box solution to this! Bet'cha guys gonna be so happy I found it! https://imgur.com/a/1o8cLYo

You have to touch a parameter, then click 'Param' at the top right of the FX window, press 'Param Modulation/Link' and choose 'Link from MIDI or FX' and choose the param to which it should be bound.

There's also a package in ReaPack called Macro Controller, you can get it if you don't want to bind to any functional plugins.
Fantastic. I've been looking for a way to do this for a long time. Thanks much.
jheinrich06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:07 AM   #9
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorlanDelta View Post
... click 'Param' at the top right ...
Did you not read message #2 in this thread that describes exactly this ?

-Michael