Old 11-27-2016, 08:11 PM   #1
Untouchable_888
Human being with feelings

Default Effect configuration is preserved?

There are/have been several plugins (incidentally all VST instruments) that I install (have tried multiple folders incl. /Program Files/VSTplugins, /Program Files (x86)/VSTplugins, and C:/VSTplugins) and when trying to add said plugins, I get an error screen which ultimately says, "Effect configuration is preserved".

Why is this and how do I circumvent this? They are all VSTs that are installed into aforementioned folders, not VST (.DLL) files that I copy and paste into said folders.

Please help someone??

Regards,
Untouchable_888
Untouchable_888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:54 AM   #2
ivansc

Well fancy meeting you here!

As I said in the other thread, this is usually a sign that you either moved something (the vst .dll file or maybe its associated config/sample/instrument files) or you haven't added the path where you actually installed the plug and then cleared and re-scanned your plugin paths within reaper.
Just to clarify, are you saying that in each case you used the manufacturer's supplied .exe file to manage the installation of the plugin?

I still put my money on an incorrect "read" from Reaper's Preferences/Options/Plugins/vst menu.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
Untouchable_888

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Just to clarify, are you saying that in each case you used the manufacturer's supplied .exe file to manage the installation of the plugin?
Yes, that is correct.
....Perhaps my issues lies in the fact that the DATA from the plugin/VST install is made to be installed to its own folder in Program Files?

So perhaps I should be installing the whole shebang into my VSTPLUGINS folder? (Be it in /Program Files or /Program Files (x86))
Old 12-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
ivansc

Sorry this one slipped through the net!

My best advice to you is to start with a clean slate.
Download a fresh reaper and when you iinstall it, check the portable install box in the initial window.
This creates a brand new independent Reaper on your machine and doesnt affect your existing setup.
Now reinstall a couple of you problem plugins and see where the plugins installer wants to put them, just lt it do its thing.
Once you have this and have verified that it all works as it should be,
go see how the plugin installations differ and fix them in your current install.
If it were me, once I had established that the portable install fixed the problem I would probably uninstall the problem plugs completely and do a standard factory reinstall so you KNOW all data samples, etc., are in the place the plugin dev wants them to be.

And once THAT is all working you can (cautiously) start to manually move stuff aound, but remember to clear and re-scan your plugin database every time.
Good luck
Old 12-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
Untouchable_888

OK that seems like good advice/information.
How can I save all my preferences & configurations?