Old 03-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
flingus
Human being with feelings

Default Newbie Question

Just had to upgrade to Windows 8, and so now the version of Protools I have wont run. Heard good things about Reaper so I figured I would give it a shot.

So far, I haven't been able to get past running the program. Keep getting error messages saying, "This software requires installation of the device driver. TPKB and a reboot before running. Please reboot or reinstall the software".

I installed the Protools drivers for Windows 7 but, no luck. And of course tried rebooting and reinstalling Reaper and no luck there either. Any suggestions? I'll list my software/hardware config at the bottom:

Windows 8 64 Bit
MBOX 2
(Had Protools 7.4)
Reaper 64 bit

The furthest I've reached is I can bypass the error, and Reaper seems to see the Mbox2, and the driver, but it wont let me chose a input or output in the pulldown, its just blank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a bad feeling the MBOX2 is just not compatible with Windows 8.

Thanks!
flingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
DOM

Could you be more clear? It seems the issue is only due to the mbox and nothing else? Can you disable/remove the mbox and see if reaper starts up fine? Possibly try asio4all as a work around? I'm running reaper without issue in win8x64.
DOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
flingus

Default Mbox 2

Well, I guess my real question is.. Is it possible to use the MBOX 2 in Windows 8 at all? This may be more appropriate to post on the AVID site but, I wasn't sure how much help I would get there since I want to use the AVID hardware but Reaper as my software.

I managed to find the ASIO4ALL download, will try to use Reaper with it tonight. I'm concerned it may just allow me to use my normal onboard soundcard and not the MBOX2.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
DOM

I would imagine it should be possible. ASIO is a standard independent of cards. The card's drivers must implement it properly though and it sounds like it might not be or reaper may be at fault.

Asio4All uses standard WDM drivers and just makes them better so if your mbox works as a standard card inside windows then asio4all should work(Although you might not get the latencies you want.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
flingus

Default Mbox2 Issues

Well, I installed ASIO4ALL and now I can use my onboard soundcard to record but, when I pick the mbox2 as a device the input fields are still blank.

I checked my Windows settings and it lists the mbox as a device, although there are really no options for me to mess with other than seeing it as an available device..

I'm just wondering at this point, has anyone been able to use a MBOX2 with Windows 8? I'll have to check with the AVID site as well, I just want to know if what I'm trying is even possible..

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
DOM

You generally have to go to the asio4all interface and "power up" the device for asio to use. There is a little power button next to the interface(mbox should be listed). From there you can enable/disable different io channels and mess with the latency.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
flingus

Default Fixed !

Ok, thank you! That worked like a charm. Very new to Windows 8, and Reaper, and ASIO4ALL so I may as well be underwater basket weaving here. After going into the audio setup in Reaper, it then brought up ASIO4ALL and I made the MBOX2 active. I'm now able to record but, getting very distorted sounds. I'll start a new post for that later if I cant figure it out myself.

Again, thanks!
Old 03-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
DOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flingus View Post
Ok, thank you! That worked like a charm. Very new to Windows 8, and Reaper, and ASIO4ALL so I may as well be underwater basket weaving here. After going into the audio setup in Reaper, it then brought up ASIO4ALL and I made the MBOX2 active. I'm now able to record but, getting very distorted sounds. I'll start a new post for that later if I cant figure it out myself.

Again, thanks!
It depends on the "distortion" but if it is a sort of the audio dropping in and out rapidly which produces a popping like sound then it could be the latency or the drivers. I had a huge hiss when I first tried this using MS built in drivers for my SC. When I used the real drivers everything worked fine.

Playing with the settings should work. I've never been a fan of asio4all but had to use it recently and it seems to work fine for my USB device.