Old 10-03-2017, 04:45 AM   #1
mzagas
Human being with feelings

Default looking for some advice!!

hello there!

I have a question and am looking for some advice..

I have been using reaper for a while now learning the in's and out's and recently been using sonar as well! both amazing DAW'S

I am thinking of making the switch to sonar as my main DAW but as it it quite expensive I am looking for some advice on my two options.

1. Switch over to sonar pay the monthly payments to eventually own the DAW.
2. Stick with reaper and instead of putting my money towards sonar use it for the slate everything bundle subscription.

my workflow on both is great and reaper is a bit more stable and faster.

I guess if you guys had the option what would you think is best decision?

Thanks
mzagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:38 AM   #2
tzzsmk

I have used Sonar since version 8 and about year ago I started transition to Reaper, by now I have fully left Sonar and I have absolutely no urge to ever get back (one of them being my definite move from Windows to MacOS btw),
for me reliability and speed/swiftness is more important than feature set or fancy GUI, I had serious problems with AudioSnap in Sonar, bad stability in bigger projects, lack of any batch export functionality and many others, and I sincerely hate subscription-based online-managed licensing in general (it severely interferes with my opinion that serious studio workstation shall have no internet access and therefore be fully offline-operable)

so you should thoroughly evaluate pros and cons of those both DAWs regarding your workflow,
for ex. if you like the additional "eyecandy" plugins and instruments, you might as well buy those separately and use them in Reaper,
talking about plugins, I can honestly recommend Fabfilter Total Bundle, although it's just a small bunch of plugins, you can achieve practically everything with them
Old 10-03-2017, 05:48 AM   #3
ivansc

Another ex-sonar user here. From version 3 of Sonar to version 3 of Sonar Pro via thee "old" version 8.5.2.

Still have my Sonar Pro up to dat as of April 2017 but have not bothered to keep up to date.

I honestly cant see me sticking with Sonar in the future - just seeing it slip slowly into spurious feature-creep ( I suspect because of the rolling "upgrade" poilcy) has really put me off.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:49 AM   #4
Neenja

Why would you want to switch from something that is working for you? I was a Cakewalk owner/user from the 90s up to 8.5, but when they abandoned all their users and went to the X abortion, I'd had enough and switched to Reaper. Now I couldn't live with the limitations and instability of Sonar. The good thing Sonar did was make it abandon all my old projects because exporting the tracks is a PITA.
Neenja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzzsmk View Post
and I sincerely hate subscription-based online-managed licensing in general (it severely interferes with my opinion that serious studio workstation shall have no internet access and therefore be fully offline-operable)
AMEN, BROTHER! I agree completely. I miss the days when u could buy something and just USE IT. I swear, you have to register, login, activate more and more.... Grrr
4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzagas View Post
hello there!

I have a question and am looking for some advice..

I have been using reaper for a while now learning the in's and out's and recently been using sonar as well! both amazing DAW'S

I am thinking of making the switch to sonar as my main DAW but as it it quite expensive I am looking for some advice on my two options.

1. Switch over to sonar pay the monthly payments to eventually own the DAW.
2. Stick with reaper and instead of putting my money towards sonar use it for the slate everything bundle subscription.

my workflow on both is great and reaper is a bit more stable and faster.

I guess if you guys had the option what would you think is best decision?

Thanks
Just from reading your post, I took the following from what you wrote:

"I am using Reaper right now with no problems at all. But I want to give Sonar money for something that is less stable. I also don't have a good reason for doing so"

You say it yourself. You don't want Sonar. Maybe the price and look of it makes it seem better? I tried a lot of expensive DAWs before I went with Reaper. For me, Reaper was better than anything I could pay for.
I wanted to like a 500 dollar DAW. But I couldn't. I uninstalled them all and payed for Reaper.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote