Old 09-06-2018, 06:59 AM   #161
mschnell
Human being with feelings

You in fact can read a file into memory and use the content as a number of samples and then output one after the other in an @block to the sample variable(s).

BTW.: it would be better to create a new topic instead of hijacking an unrelated thread.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:23 AM   #162
ReaMike

Very nice!
ReaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #163
JamesPeters

Hello again!

I'd noticed this when using PadSynth in Windows 7 (64-bit) and now I notice it as well in Linux...

When first loading PadSynth, the CPU spikes very high (causing Xruns in the process) and then after several seconds it settles down to a reasonable level.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:33 AM   #164
geraintluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I'd noticed this when using PadSynth in Windows 7 (64-bit) and now I notice it as well in Linux...

When first loading PadSynth, the CPU spikes very high (causing Xruns in the process) and then after several seconds it settles down to a reasonable level.
Yeah - it's generating a bunch of samples to use later. I expect it behaves the same when you hit "Regenerate" after modifying the waveform parameters.

I have already spread this out over the first 18 blocks (one per sample), so that REAPER remains somewhat responsive instead of completely locking up for a couple of seconds.

If it's particularly bad on some configurations (e.g. tiny block sizes, maybe?) then I can poke it a bit more. However, I'm afraid that aside from spreading it out even more carefully, there's not much else I can do about it - because JSFX (rightly!) doesn't have background threads for this kind of processing.

Last edited by geraintluff; 10-10-2018 at 08:07 AM.
geraintluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #165
JamesPeters

Thanks for the explanation!

I'm using relatively conservative block sizes (256, 3 blocks) and I even tested it today with 512 (and 2 blocks). Also my CPU isn't "throttled"; it's operating all the time at full frequency.

My CPU is a Core i3 6300, so it's not amazing. But it's quite adequate for lots of other software synths.

I don't expect that you'll change your plugin based on what I'm saying; I know it's not all about me. But I wanted to make you aware of what is happening, in case it is a concern in general.

Update: the latest dev build of Linux Reaper fixed my "non-stop xruns" problem (that had nothing to do with PadSynth), so now I can load PadSynth and just wait a few seconds for the CPU to "calm down" (it'll make some realtime xruns, but they'll stop), then I can use the pluginy. So there's no specific problem in Linux Reaper when using PadSynth. The CPU does spike when loading presets but that'll happen in any OS.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-11-2018 at 03:26 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #166
geraintluff

Default New effect: Atlantis Reverb

I wanted to write an effect for super-long ambient reverbs/textures, so: here's Atlantis Reverb:

(audio demo)

It uses some of the same concepts as PaulStretch, so it can be used to make similar sounds. The shimmer section lets you add gradual octave-shifting to the reverb, to add some high-end sparkle.

Have fun, and let me know what you think!

Geraint

Last edited by geraintluff; 11-27-2018 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Renamed "sparkle" to "shimmer" - thanks @sinkmusic :)
Old 11-24-2018, 11:46 AM   #167
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

A Paulstretch-alike reverb ! wow, let's go try it !
Thank you !
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:47 AM   #168
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

... Listening to the audio files on your website, it sounds a bit like a Shimmer reverb, with a strong octave effect. I will try it tonight, thanks again for sharing
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:22 AM   #169
citizenkeith

I was mixing somebody's home-recorded tracks yesterday, and the bass guitar DI had some transient spots... I tried Smooth Limiter for the first time and was VERY impressed. Added this one to my Favorites folder, where it joins Spring-Box. Thank you for your hard work!
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #170
vanhaze

I find all GL plugins really just incredible.
And that they are all free is utterly insane, i would genrerously pay for them if they weren't.

GL Rocks !!
Old 11-26-2018, 04:26 PM   #171
timothys_monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintluff View Post
I wanted to write an effect for super-long ambient reverbs/textures, so: here's Atlantis Reverb:

(audio demo)

It uses some of the same concepts as PaulStretch, so it can be used to make similar sounds. The shimmer dial lets you add gradual octave-shifting to the reverb, to add some high-end sparkle.

Geraint
What a wonderful new reverb! I love it and see already a lot of cases where it would fit just perfectly. Such a nice fresh colour!
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:29 PM   #172
sai'ke

Ooh yeah. Nice verb

Thanks man!
Old 11-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #173
Bri1
Banned

atlantis-fact,or,fiction>?

seems to be a js fact these dayzz.
another great share=franks_a_lot!
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #174
TonE

Now, we have reverb, filther, tracker, patterns, what is missing is some sound awesome generator to trigger those? Any suggestions? (beside synth1, oatmeal, farbrausch, hammer and string, Venom VB-303) Oh we have already PadSynth. Plus Airwindows arsenal.

It could be a fun game, allowing a limited set of tools, created here mainly, then seeing what is possible using only those. For example I would allow above mentioned vsti, beside all what is available for Reaper freely as jsfx or shared vst. Synth1, Oatmeal, Farbrausch, Hammer and String, Venom VB-303, PadSynth, Airwindows (e.g. channel4, console, totape5, basskit). Plus I want to add another magic free mono vst, from Amiga times, sounds fantastic: Aegis.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:10 AM   #175
sightlessness

Spring box is awesome, sounds great in your youtube demo (your voice I take it).
Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:34 AM   #176
geraintluff

It's really great (and motivating) to hear that people are enjoying my effects.

Quote:
I wanted to write an effect for super-long ambient reverbs/textures, so: here's Atlantis Reverb
Updated with a new feature: release mode! Note the new controls in the "decay" section:

If you have a super-long reverb, it can end up muddy if you change chords too fast. This feature lets you move all the current echoes over to a second faster-decaying reverb line. When triggered briefly just before a new chord is introduced, this means the previous chord is moved over to the faster-decay line, so it competes less with the new chord.

Releases can be triggered by clicking the button, by automation (button can record envelopes), or by lifting the sustain pedal (CC-64) if you have that switch turned on. You should see a white line appear in the spectrum display, decaying faster than the orange one.

Geraint
Attached Images
File Type: png Atlantis-Reverb.png (17.9 KB, 1356 views)

Last edited by geraintluff; 11-28-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:28 PM   #177
Arthur McArthur

These new FX are fantastic, Geraint. As a fun little challenge, I wanted to make a quick sketch using only your plugins (no external or REAPER fx, even EQ.) I had a blast and the diversity of sounds I could make was surprising.

MP3 here:

https://instaud.io/2Z2Y
Attached Files
File Type: rpp GeraintFX only sketch. Arthur McArthur.RPP (213.1 KB, 154 views)
Arthur McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:22 AM   #178
TonE

Cool Arthur, did you use impyC?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:36 PM   #179
Arthur McArthur

Thanks Tone. No I didn't, I started producing relatively recently (12ish years ago) and started on FL Studio so I never got used to or liked MPC workflow
Arthur McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #180
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McArthur View Post
These new FX are fantastic, Geraint. As a fun little challenge, I wanted to make a quick sketch using only your plugins (no external or REAPER fx, even EQ.) I had a blast and the diversity of sounds I could make was surprising.

MP3 here:

https://instaud.io/2Z2Y
Well done, good sounds.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #181
JayJSE2

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but the spectrum matcher doesn't keep the correction when reloading a project (it keeps the preset and reference curve, it just doesn't apply any correction.

Whether that is a bug or not, is there any way of making it so that the eq curve can be copied into reaeq?
JayJSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:31 PM   #182
ReubenAlfie

Quote:

(audio demo)

It uses some of the same concepts as PaulStretch, so it can be used to make similar sounds. The shimmer section lets you add gradual octave-shifting to the reverb, to add some high-end sparkle.

Geraint
This is the one chief. Game changer.
ReubenAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:16 PM   #183
jasonwuest

Atlantis is bloody amazing.

I usually don’t like algo reverbs. I can count the ones I have liked on one hand. This one, I LOVE.

Thank you!
jasonwuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:55 AM   #184
geraintluff

Default Moved ZIP away from Stash

Hi - it turns out that the ZIP is now too large for the Stash (2MB limit), so it was missing all changes since August.

I've moved it to a different location - give me a poke if it doesn't work.

Geraint
Old 01-16-2019, 05:53 AM   #185
X-Raym

@geraintluff

Why no using the automatic ZIP like brought by GitHub ? :P

https://github.com/geraintluff/jsfx/archive/master.zip
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:58 AM   #186
geraintluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Why no using the automatic ZIP like brought by GitHub ? :P
Haha - please don't install using that link.

Unfortunately, the way things are organised inside my git repo is very different to the way they are released. The ZIP is (hopefully) organised the same way as it's installed by ReaPack.

(Plus there's a bunch of extra unnecessary gunf in there, which I know is bad, but mostly it's a hack so that GitHub hosts the website for me. )

I could use a separate "release" branch and just constantly force-overwrite it, I guess...

Last edited by geraintluff; 01-16-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #187
X-Raym

Quote:
Unfortunately, the way things are organised inside my git repo is very different to the way they are released.
Indeed, Reapack advanced features can make things less portable than just copy pasting the repo zip :P

Noted, cheers !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #188
geraintluff

Default New Effect: Droplets

It's been a while! This isn't a huge update, but I finished up a MIDI effect that's been kicking around for a while.

This is Droplets: it takes MIDI input, and randomly retriggers the notes over time, to create ambient textures / wind-chime patterns / etc. The name is because it's inspired by a friend-of-a-friend's project "Dropworks" which used water droplets to trigger MIDI events.

Here's an audio demo. The input is just some chords held solidly for 8 bars. In one of the two instruments, the Rate is automated up and down.

I particularly like the way the "Regularity" control turned out. It prevents notes from retriggering twice in a row, and low/mid settings sound natural and organic, but closer to 100% it starts producing repeating patterns which evolve slowly over time.

Geraint

(Other updates: Echo Cycles now has a little LFO on the "start" rotation, which keeps the echo pattern from being too repetitive. It's not customisable - if you want more control, use parameter modulation instead, which is what I was doing before.)

Last edited by geraintluff; 06-15-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:34 PM   #189
timothys_monster

Nice update and brilliant idea about the Droplets effect!

Thanks for continuously working on these. I use Stereo Alignment Delay literally every day.
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:12 AM   #190
geraintluff

Updated Droplets: it now has octave-shifting and quantisation!

This makes it a lot more powerful - you can give it a static chord or other input, and it can doodle around using the same notes (transposed around octaves) in rhythm.

Here's an example where the MIDI input is just basic chords (played on the EP). The strings and piano parts are derived using Droplets, with just some reverb and EQ - I param-modulated the "transpose target", so the parts can wander up and down.

Geraint
Old 06-16-2019, 06:37 AM   #191
sai'ke

Nice work, thank you

I always love arpy textures like that. I'll take it for a spin soon!
Old 07-02-2019, 06:33 AM   #192
mutetourettes

Hi Geraint - I know Robert Randolph asked about it before, but it would be awesome if Stereo Alignment delay could have a 'running' mode rather than just 'everything since you pressed reset'

- maybe triggering action_delay_analysis_reset every x milliseconds? could that work?

My use case is tuning cassette-deck head azimuth - I'd want to use the display to show in real time the changes I was making at the head...
mutetourettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:16 AM   #193
Chris Heinen

Quote:

Geraint
Hi Geraint,

I'm very late to the Atlantis Reverb party, but wanted to ask a quick question...

I'm experiencing a lot of CPU usage with this plugin. Even when bypassed, and before starting playback, whenever I have the GUI open the CPU shows about 24% usage (on Reaper's task bar). Then when un-bypassed (e.g. actived FX in chain) but before I start playback, usage goes to 30% (on Reaper's task bar). When playback is started, there is stuttering. Interestingly, the CPU usage in the FX window only shows about 4%.

Is this normal for this plugin?

As a point of comparison, when I switch to your "Spring Box" delay/reverb, the CPU numbers are around 5% (on Reaper's task bar) and 4% (in the FX window), and there is no stuttering during playback.

Just wondering if there is something I can tweak to get similar performance between these two plugins.

Thanks,
Chris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sWOWHqw18U
Chris Heinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:29 AM   #194
geraintluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Heinen View Post
I'm experiencing a lot of CPU usage with this plugin. Even when bypassed, and before starting playback, whenever I have the GUI open the CPU shows about 24% usage (on Reaper's task bar). Then when un-bypassed (e.g. actived FX in chain) but before I start playback, usage goes to 30% (on Reaper's task bar). When playback is started, there is stuttering. Interestingly, the CPU usage in the FX window only shows about 4%.

Is this normal for this plugin?
In general UI performance in JSFX is a tough problem. I have a few ideas, but it's not a trivial fix.

However, 24% is much higher than I expected. I get 8-10% - and Spring Box is only slightly less (6-8%), not 6 times less. That's really interesting!

Can we continue this over DM or email? What OS are you on? Can I send you a few different versions to test out, with different UI parts disabled, so we can figure out which part is making it slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
it would be awesome if Stereo Alignment delay could have a 'running' mode rather than just 'everything since you pressed reset'
Yes, this sounds very useful - I'll add that in. Apologies for letting it slip before.

Geraint
Old 09-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #195
Chris Heinen

Quote:
In general UI performance in JSFX is a tough problem. I have a few ideas, but it's not a trivial fix. However, 24% is much higher than I expected. I get 8-10% - and Spring Box is only slightly less (6-8%), not 6 times less. That's really interesting! Can we continue this over DM or email? What OS are you on? Can I send you a few different versions to test out, with different UI parts disabled, so we can figure out which part is making it slow?
Geraint
That would be awesome, Geraint. I'll send an email...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sWOWHqw18U
Chris Heinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:43 AM   #196
geraintluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
Hi Geraint - I know Robert Randolph asked about it before, but it would be awesome if Stereo Alignment delay could have a 'running' mode rather than just 'everything since you pressed reset'
OK - I've released v1.3.0, please give that a go.

The "detect" screen should now have a "period" dial. At maximum (default) it adds up all the data. If you turn it down, it will use an exponential-average. If you have feedback on how it looks/behaves, let me know.

Geraint

Last edited by geraintluff; 09-07-2019 at 04:11 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:33 PM   #197
lowellben

Lots of these plugins have no effect on any audio or MIDI just FYI on multiple tracks attempts. Only a few FX actually pass sound through and do something to the audio. Any guesses why? Windows 10. The JS plug output meters show no audio so it's clear that audio is not passing through, it's not on my end at all. Just ran them clean.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #198
geraintluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
Lots of these plugins have no effect on any audio or MIDI just FYI on multiple tracks attempts. Only a few FX actually pass sound through and do something to the audio.
Well that's not ideal! Would you be able to send me a screenshot (or even an example project file) so I can see what's up?

Geraint
Old 09-11-2019, 01:59 AM   #199
lowellben

Quote:
Well that's not ideal! Would you be able to send me a screenshot (or even an example project file) so I can see what's up?

Geraint
Sure thing. Will send you a brief video showing the many plugins not passing audio along with project file. Hope you can solve.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:13 AM   #200
mplay

Having so much fun with humonica and hammer and chords, thanks so much for sharing your work! I also really like the sounds I'm getting out of the reverbs, whereas I'm usually not impressed with algo verbs, with yours I'm able to create are something special.
mplay is offline   Reply With Quote