Old 01-11-2015, 03:28 PM   #121
babag
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,408
Default

linux applications have a pretty solid presence in hollywood, though, not so much in audio. more visual media.
babag is offline  
Old 01-12-2015, 02:17 AM   #122
sonnie
Human being with feelings
 
sonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 640
Default

@paulheu: You know this is a Linux-related thread? Why you try to disturb it?
sonnie is offline  
Old 01-12-2015, 02:59 AM   #123
paulheu
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnie View Post
@paulheu: You know this is a Linux-related thread? Why you try to disturb it?
I am genuinely wondering why people would prefer Linux over Windows in this regard and why people would choose to jump through all sorts of hoops when there is a drop in solution by installing Windows.

It seems I can't get a straight answer and instead get bombarded with all sorts of unrelated stuff which then makes things kind of spin out of control.

For me, I get that people prefer to use Linux, it does most of what you would need on a daily bases and is free. Anything else i this day and age IMO really is not relevant anymore and based on ancient (in computer terms) assumptions and misconceptions.

Anything but casual use of Reaper IMO calls for a dedicated PC anyway which makes the whole argument irrelevant really.
paulheu is offline  
Old 01-12-2015, 03:14 AM   #124
sonnie
Human being with feelings
 
sonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 640
Default

I prefer Linux not just because its free. Actually I always donate the devs for their work in OSX/WIN related product prices.
I don't think Linux gonna overtake the OS-world, but it will become more users if there are some pro-apps or "common apps". I'd love to see more audio and video apps which are common for Win/OSX. ATM its pain in the ass - double boot is okay, but bothersome.
sonnie is offline  
Old 01-12-2015, 03:15 AM   #125
gpunk_w
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
linux applications have a pretty solid presence in hollywood, though, not so much in audio. more visual media.
Not as solid as you think, they have a good reputation in Render nodes for various systems, but a lot of companies are looking at offloading future Linux development in their commercial softwares, Film software is something of a dead end market right now, most companies are either ending most of their lines or closing up shop.
The big houses that used to create in house software are downsizing and you know the first people on that list where the coders
It is a strange old time in film land right now !!
__________________
Reaper scripters, that is all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gpunk_w is offline  
Old 01-12-2015, 07:25 AM   #126
mete0r
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulheu View Post
I am genuinely wondering why people would prefer Linux over Windows in this regard and why people would choose to jump through all sorts of hoops when there is a drop in solution by installing Windows.

It seems I can't get a straight answer and instead get bombarded with all sorts of unrelated stuff which then makes things kind of spin out of control.

For me, I get that people prefer to use Linux, it does most of what you would need on a daily bases and is free. Anything else i this day and age IMO really is not relevant anymore and based on ancient (in computer terms) assumptions and misconceptions.

Anything but casual use of Reaper IMO calls for a dedicated PC anyway which makes the whole argument irrelevant really.
I don't need an antivirus (that would slow down my computer) because a random exploit could install malware.

The modularity jack gives me is way better than what I could do on windows (I remember having to livestream something to friends on windows on google hangouts was a nightmare, If I had to do it now on linux it would probably be fairly easy).

It's way faster (starts up in something like 15 seconds and shuts down in 2-3 seconds).

Programming is easier on linux. I'm developing an audio app effortlessly (except for the math but that's not an OS problem :P) while I was having lots of problems on windows (I can't remember exactly). I will actually be able to port the code on windows just by recompiling since I'm using QT5, but without the annoyances of having to develop on windows.

When something doesn't work, I can find the problem and fix it. When something didnt't work on windows, I often ended up reinstalling.

There is also something else but I'm not really sure what it is. It's just easier to do whatever I have to do, I guess. This just me personally.
mete0r is offline  
Old 01-12-2015, 07:31 AM   #127
devez
Human being with feelings
 
devez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Espoo, Finland
Posts: 139
Default

I've been now over 1 year completely on linux, and only one missing from my setup is Reaper. Steam has been pushing linux forward for the past year, so it's not like linux is only for reading mail and surfing on web.

And if I would dedicate computer for Reaper, i would prefer linux for that and tweak it as much as i can.
devez is offline  
Old 01-12-2015, 07:49 AM   #128
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 19,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mete0r View Post
I don't need an antivirus (that would slow down my computer) because a random exploit could install malware.
There are some AV programs out there which don't slow down your computer one bit, you know (ESET NOD32 at the forefront)? So, your point is moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mete0r View Post
It's way faster (starts up in something like 15 seconds and shuts down in 2-3 seconds).
That sounds familiar... pretty much like W8 startup times! Even less on a SSD drive.
EvilDragon is offline  
Old 01-12-2015, 08:01 AM   #129
mete0r
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 108
Default

Just to clarify, I have nothing against windows (and I think that some (most?) of the times it's the right tool for the job), I was just explaining my reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
There are some AV programs out there which don't slow down your computer one bit, you know (ESET NOD32 at the forefront)? So, your point is moot.
I didn't know, to be honest. I'm just slightly skeptical about how an antivirus could go about proactively detecting threats without slowing down my computer at least a bit, but again, I'm not that knowledgeable on windows/viruses/antiviruses.

EDIT: also this kinda reminds me of http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/voting_machines.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
That sounds familiar... pretty much like W8 startup times! Even less on a SSD drive.
I have not tried windows 8 yet, but I would really like to in the future.
mete0r is offline  
Old 01-12-2015, 08:03 AM   #130
alextone
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 171
Default

Debian Jessie
KXStudio
Wine-RT
Wineasio RT
Carla, with several instances of Kontakt loaded, using the carla-bridge-win64 for each
Reaper
Jack1

Priorities

Jack = 89
X = 52
Plasma-desktop = 52
WINE_RT = 75 (Wine-RT version 1.7.33, available as a single click install from the kxstudio repos, along with Carla-git, Wineasio-RT....)
WINE_SVR_RT = 79

Carla as VST-host (as well as host for hundred of LADSPA, Native Linux VST, and LV2 plugins), same wine settings for the plugins. Carla is available in 32 and 64 bit flavours, but you can load either in 64bit for example, with a multiarch Wine version. (Which is really easy to do as well, and is also in the kxstudio repos.)

Reaper = 76

Basic orchestral template running from morning to night, without problems. Average overall RAM use for K instances 28 GB (out of total 64GB)

Why not use VSTs in Reaper?

1. Because Wine still counts it as a single process, which places limits on resource per process. Using Carla as the VST host, all instances are each a separate process, each able to access full wine per instance.

2. Reaper runs far snappier in Wine-RT without VSTs loaded. Offloading the heavy lifting to a separate host means no xruns, graphics challenges, etc...


Hardware:

Intel i7 sandybridge 8 core (actually 4 with Hyperthreading turned off)
RME PCIe I/O (and the mature and reliable hdsp driver is already in the kernel, and has been for a long time. No third party D/L required)

64GB of DDR3 RAM

3 SSD drives, one for OS, 2 for sample libs.

47inch TV/monitor running 1920 x 1200 with nouveau (opensource nvidia driver) No tearing, no glitches, no lag.

With the exception of Kontakt, and Reaper, all native linux.

And all 64 bit.

Any serious audio/midi/video user is going to tweak the box for performance mileage. Linux is no different, and certainly, in my experience, more tweakable than the others.

I get up in the morning, start the box, and write music. If i forget to turn it off overnight, no problem. I continue where i left off.

Ideally, a native linux version of Reaper would complete the picture. Reaper runs ok in Wine, but is subject to the limitations of that structure. Reaper linux 64bit would remove this layer, and imho, run even more efficiently. Both Carla and Jack make routing challenges a non-event. (Carla includes a great patchbay for a quick glance of what's going where)

I've made this sound more complicated than it is, the kxstudio repos have all the right apps, and they are regularly updated, further improving features, efficiency, and performance.


p.s. Even using Wine-RT's alsa midi layer routed through jack in linux, midi jitter is minimal, and playback is fine. The above is a departure from the "plug and play" assumptions, but you can do that too, if you wish. I've chosen to go beyond PnP, and really give the system a workout. Which you can of course do with Linux. It's up to you.



Alex.

p.p.s If win and mac is your thing, good luck to you. To assume Linux can't perform as well as or better, is not true, imho.

Last edited by alextone; 01-12-2015 at 08:29 AM.
alextone is offline  
Old 01-12-2015, 03:59 PM   #131
sonnie
Human being with feelings
 
sonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
That sounds familiar... pretty much like W8 startup times! Even less on a SSD drive.
A real Win8 shutdown or just the "shutdown" hibernating?

Btw: 8 seconds from 0 to usable Desktop (without grub). shutdown 2 sec. Arch + Openbox

I find this wine rubbish just disturbing in my process of making music. I gave it atry and it worket with wineasio and reaper, but I don't want to spend this much time in a "temporary" setup.
sonnie is offline  
Old 01-12-2015, 04:13 PM   #132
Lawrence
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 20,894
Default

Pardon the rube detour but why would anyone care how long it takes a computer to shut down? Don't you kinda tell it to shut down and walk away or do you like, stand there and watch it until it shuts down?
__________________
"I, Bozo The Clown, do solemly swear to uphold the Consti.. consti... uh, how do you pronounce that again?".
Lawrence is offline  
Old 01-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #133
sonnie
Human being with feelings
 
sonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 640
Default

Sure nobody cares. But the Win users make the "missing" fast access to shutdown button a big thing after Win8 release.
sonnie is offline  
Old 01-12-2015, 06:10 PM   #134
gpunk_w
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,140
Default

Which Win users lol
Sorry but that is like me saying "All linux users are assholes"
There may be some but it still has zero relevance whatsoever
__________________
Reaper scripters, that is all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gpunk_w is offline  
Old 01-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #135
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
There are some AV programs out there which don't slow down your computer one bit, you know (ESET NOD32 at the forefront)? So, your point is moot.
Not possible typically. A filter driver intercepts disk IO packets and inspects them then passes them on down the IO stack. That's how most AV (real time) works. They may do it very efficiently but unless they use no filter drivers it takes time to do it.

fltmc instances

^Will show you if there are any loaded disk filter drivers and by whom. Run cmd.exe as admin.

Fyi that FileInfo and luafv are normal which you might find interesting... http://blogs.msdn.com/b/alexcarp/arc...luafv-sys.aspx

Quote:
That sounds familiar... pretty much like W8 startup times! Even less on a SSD drive.
Yea mine is in the 15 second range, and who shuts down?
__________________
Your whole life people will tell you what you can't do. Getting past them is the first step to actually getting things done.

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-12-2015 at 06:39 PM.
karbomusic is online now  
Old 01-12-2015, 11:28 PM   #136
paulheu
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devez View Post
Steam has been pushing linux forward for the past year,
Sure they have.. or say they have. Reality is though, the _vast_ majority of Steam users are on Windows 7/8. Linux is there but it's hardly being 'pushed'


Quote:
Originally Posted by mete0r View Post
I don't need an antivirus (that would slow down my computer) because a random exploit could install malware.
Or so you think/believe


Quote:
Originally Posted by mete0r View Post
It's way faster (starts up in something like 15 seconds and shuts down in 2-3 seconds).
WIN8/10 from power down to desktop, about 6 seconds. Shutdown less than 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mete0r View Post
Programming is easier on linux. I'm developing an audio app effortlessly (except for the math but that's not an OS problem :P) while I was having lots of problems on windows (I can't remember exactly).
So not that you actually know or can back it up, but just throwing it out here.. Obviously have not been around Windows much the last decade or so.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mete0r View Post
This just me personally.
Precisely



Quote:
Originally Posted by mete0r View Post
I have not tried windows 8 yet, but I would really like to in the future.
Just a heads up, WIN8 is well over 3 years old and has been stable and useable in pre-release for near three by now. WIN7 has been around for much longer and not far behind. This kind of tells me you really have no actual frame of reference and are just rehashing what you assume/think/heard .


Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnie View Post
Sure nobody cares. But the Win users make the "missing" fast access to shutdown button a big thing after Win8 release.
It's right on my keyboard actually..

Last edited by paulheu; 01-13-2015 at 12:40 AM.
paulheu is offline  
Old 01-13-2015, 12:52 AM   #137
triton60
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 43
Default

How come this thread has degraded into a p#ssing match?

The thread is about having a Linux port of Reaper not which os is better, it is the same with OSX and Windows, who cares, people want to use what they want to use.

I use Linux as my main machine but use OSX or Windows for audio, would love to be able to do everything on Linux but at the moment audio is the only thing I can't do as easily as the other two platforms.

Lets get back on topic rather than all "the yeah buts, what about this or that, mine is faster blah blah blah..."
triton60 is offline  
Old 01-13-2015, 01:03 AM   #138
paulheu
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton60 View Post
The thread is about having a Linux port of Reaper not which os is better,
And when bringing up the argument that due to the very small number of users with relation to the amount of work which a proper port would take it's simply not a feasible proposition, the counter arguments relating to the OS itself start.

It's a simple fact that Linux just is not even a contender in he desktop OS market and thus it must rely on individuals and supporters to do the work as commercially it's just not an viable or interesting platform for DAW development specifically. If it were do we really think it would mostly be ignored?

This is a public discussion forum, if people want a straight answer from Cokos (who have repeatedly stated it's not in the books) they should use proper channels. This thread is really not even supposed to be here (pre-release discussion).

IMO Linux is not better or worse or whatever compared to Windows or OS X in a desktop environment, it's a personal and subjective choice to use it. It's simply to small in relation to the other two to be considered a target for development of (most) (semi-)commercial software.
paulheu is offline  
Old 01-13-2015, 01:35 AM   #139
triton60
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulheu View Post
And when bringing up the argument that due to the very small number of users with relation to the amount of work which a proper port would take it's simply not a feasible proposition, the counter arguments relating to the OS itself start.
This maybe true but is not up to us, if Justin wants to do the port he will, he is a smart bloke and likely doesn't need the constant bickering about peoples personal opinions on the subject.

Anyway carry on, I will unsubscribe from the thread.
triton60 is offline  
Old 01-13-2015, 02:05 AM   #140
paulheu
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton60 View Post
This maybe true but is not up to us,
Correct, this is however a public discussion forum so when asked here anyone, for or against, can respond.

Cokos has been very clear on the fact that a native Linux version is not in the books. We can only speculate on their reasoning although it would seem fairly obvious as to why.

Reaper is first a Windows application with an OS X port for (IMO) mainly legacy purposes. A proper Linux port would be quite an undertaking and require serious resources.
paulheu is offline  
Old 01-13-2015, 04:51 AM   #141
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings
 
Jack Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,046
Default

It's kinda sad that any Linux discussion on these forums always brings out a lot of noise, IMO a lack of respect of others. But seems to be the way it is, so I suppose we just have to live with it.

I run reaper in wine on Linux for many years now, and it's perfectly fine for what I do (tracking/mixing my band and working on my own music), most VST(i)s work fine too. I have cool things like zita-j2nbridge which allows me to stream low latency audio to other machines. I use it to output my mix to the TV speakers (through my media PC) and to the laptop speakers at the click of a button. Allows me to get a different POV of the mix easily.

Personally I'm really happy running a good base distribution (Archlinux) with the KDE desktop bolted on top of it. But it's not better or worse than any other OS, it's just different and has it's own strong and weak points. IMO we should be happy that we have choices and not disparage the choice of others...
__________________
Software: Archlinux/KDE, Komplete8, IK Multimedia, Toontrack, Schwa/Stillwell and various other plugs. Gear: i7-2600k, 16gb ram, RME Multiface, RME Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, and too much more :)
Jack Winter is offline  
Old 01-13-2015, 06:16 AM   #142
fladd
Human being with feelings
 
fladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 876
Default

Yes, it is always the same. Whenever Linux is discussed here, someone drops in and tells us how much he hates Linux. This is a personal opinion and everyone is clearly entitled to voice this.

However, for me it stops being fine when someone drops in and spreads these incorrect Linux "facts". I understand that this is a mean to polarise people and to gain anti-Linux supporters who are not well informed, to support your quest in preventing Justin to put time into a Linux port and rather work on making Reaper look "Pro", but you know well enough that in the end it is his decision, a devision that is not based on stupid predispositions. Justin has written important Linux software before, and he also started to work on a Linux port already (and he didn't stop, because after already starting he only suddenly realised that no one would buy this - he is not an idiot - no, he stopped, because he was hoping for other developers to help him port parts of the GUI framework he uses to Linux).

Anyway, I am done with discussing this. It has no influence anyway. Except me getting really sad about some people's way to convince other people with their own opinion.
__________________
www.fladd.de/sound
fladd is offline  
Old 01-13-2015, 07:34 AM   #143
Lawrence
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 20,894
Default

I'm gonna switch to Open Solaris. Now there!

But more seriously, who gives a shit what OS you use. Use what you like. The only reason Linux draws (sometimes unnecessary) drama is that (maybe elsewhere) Linux fans are always running around blowing the horn about how much better it is and some get tired of hearing all that.

I think if the other rabid Linux fans stop doing that the drama level might go down a little.

You actually do see some of that here in this thread, the "Linux is better because..." stupid contest stuff.
__________________
"I, Bozo The Clown, do solemly swear to uphold the Consti.. consti... uh, how do you pronounce that again?".
Lawrence is offline  
Old 01-13-2015, 07:35 AM   #144
Nixon
Human being with feelings
 
Nixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 242
Default

May seem like a silly question but what kind of knowledge would one need to port the parts of the GUI framework?
__________________
Item FX Sends -
Nixon is offline  
Old 01-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #145
alextone
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Pardon the rube detour but why would anyone care how long it takes a computer to shut down? Don't you kinda tell it to shut down and walk away or do you like, stand there and watch it until it shuts down?

Hehe, a good question.

"Sleep now, My Precioussssssss.............."

alextone is offline  
Old 01-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #146
alextone
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I'm gonna switch to Open Solaris. Now there!

But more seriously, who gives a shit what OS you use. Use what you like. The only reason Linux draws (sometimes unnecessary) drama is that (maybe elsewhere) Linux fans are always running around blowing the horn about how much better it is and some get tired of hearing all that.

I think if the other rabid Linux fans stop doing that the drama level might go down a little.

You actually do see some of that here in this thread, the "Linux is better because..." stupid contest stuff.
That's true, but there are enthusastic and sometimes rabid voices in most walks of life, including for other OSs.

The noise that goes in here, regarding the alleged unsuitability of linux is likely more driven by personal interests, with the intention of "loudly" battering the devs out of taking on another OS. It seems to be an assumption that time spent creating a native linux version will slow the introduction of FR's that particular users feel they entitled to, by nature of that same self justified assumption.

Imho.

Alex.

p.s. The notion that there are very few linux users in our particular field is always touted as a reason NOT to have a linux version. I find this somewhat ironic. As soon as a brave dev team does this, with the most recent example being Bitwig, they are literally overwhelmed with enthusiastic users who are willing to relentlessly test to destruction, and provide detailed and informative backtraces that are more valuable to devs than "wwahh,it doesn't work".

Linux social networks tend to be lively and sometimes passionate. Were a native Linux Reaper to spring into life, i'm fairly sure the word would be out very quickly, and disseminated very widely indeed. Reaper is already popular in the linux audio community of users. And as a native linux version, it would be the first of the really "big" players to take the plunge into a new market, with the potential for firmly cementing its place and popularity, before the rest arrive.

My 2 Euros worth,

Alex.
alextone is offline  
Old 01-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #147
paulheu
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextone View Post
The noise that goes in here, regarding the alleged unsuitability of linux is likely more driven by personal interests,
I would not agree with that, I am not seeing anyone actually saying Linux would be unsuited to run Reaper at all. In fact I have no doubt that it could run natively just as well as on Windows or OS X, but it would require more work to get it there, a lot more. The thing is that the resources and work required to make this happen simply are not justifiable against the number of potential users.

Most projects and applications I see for Linux are developed and designed by a team that sets out to do so specifically create the application _for Linux_. For the vast majority of applications it is the exact opposite. The idea is to create an application first and then the dev team chooses which OS suits their needs best, which in most cases will be Windows.
paulheu is offline  
Old 01-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #148
Lawrence
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 20,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextone View Post
The noise that goes in here, regarding the alleged unsuitability of linux is likely more driven by personal interests, with the intention of "loudly" battering the devs out of taking on another OS.

Alex.
I doubt it. I recall Evil Dragon telling and showing people directly that the lead developer has already said it's not likely. I suppose some just aren't actually hearing that or don't want to hear that, no idea, but the entire argument appears to be over a settled issue.

Quote:
Will there be Reaper for Linux soon? [permalink]
Asked by sonnie (37.120.114.x) on November 24 2014, 3:17pm
Reply on November 24 2014, 6:20pm:
Not likely
When you consider that Cockos seems to never talk about stuff they may actually do in the future but they actually did comment directly on this a bit more definitively, why are the Linux guys asking for something that (seems to me anyway) he already kinda said is not going to happen any time soon if ever?

If they said they were considering it and people were trying to talk them out of it, sure, your comment above would have more value.

TBH, I wish all developers would do that more often, let people know about stuff they have no intention to do so people would stop arguing over stuff that they probably won't even do anyway. I saw that happen with scoring on the S1 forum, people arguing over it, "development resources" and all that other common nonsense, and the developers or product manager stepped in and said... (paraphrasing of course) ...

"We won't be doing notation in Studio One. It's very, very difficult to do correctly and there's many great products for that out there already and we have too much other stuff to do anyway." End of debate. Of course, that was long before they actually bought a software company that does notation, so that may change. They also said something similar about a bit bridge.. "We won't be adding a bit bridge. Contact your plugin developers to make 64-bit plugs or buy the other 3rd party bridge, it's like, $15. It's not going to happen here."

End of debate and all the stupid forum arguments about it where everybody is defending their positions on stuff that's already been decided. I mean, it seems to me that somebody in the company just said...

"Will one of you guys go on the forum and just tell them that we aren't ever going to do that anyway so they can stop arguing about it? Thanks."
__________________
"I, Bozo The Clown, do solemly swear to uphold the Consti.. consti... uh, how do you pronounce that again?".

Last edited by Lawrence; 01-13-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Lawrence is offline  
Old 01-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #149
gpunk_w
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,140
Default

For Linux users to accuse anybody of noise is nothing more than a joke, devs say not likely "we will ignore that" other users say it is not really usable in a lot of cases (hardware support for instance) "but it can do blah" reply "so can x" reply "you hate Linux and are making it personal"
I actually dont remember anybody saying they hate Linux and i am fairly sure that nobody here has a personal stake in making others use anything they dont want to, so if we are talking about noise then it swings both ways.
__________________
Reaper scripters, that is all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gpunk_w is offline  
Old 01-13-2015, 07:18 PM   #150
babag
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,408
Default

please see post #55 of this thread. while it may not be imminent, a linux port might not be completely out of the question.
babag is offline  
Old 01-13-2015, 11:42 PM   #151
paulheu
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
please see post #55 of this thread. while it may not be imminent, a linux port might not be completely out of the question.
A port of a port.. Not sure how that will pan out for an application like Reaper and then there are quite a few issues with regards to specific Linux code still need to be taken care off.

It's far from a drop in port solution and I believe the end result will be pretty much what you have now including the restrictions which will likely be more severe as you can't mix this port with Wine emulated VST support for instance.
paulheu is offline  
Old 01-14-2015, 10:01 AM   #152
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings
 
Jack Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
May seem like a silly question but what kind of knowledge would one need to port the parts of the GUI framework?
I'd guess mostly being familiar with creating menus/drawing on a framebuffer in windows, and being able to figure out how to translate the calls to some linux toolkit like gtk or possibly Qt.

Have a look at the SWELL component of http://www.cockos.com/wdl/
__________________
Software: Archlinux/KDE, Komplete8, IK Multimedia, Toontrack, Schwa/Stillwell and various other plugs. Gear: i7-2600k, 16gb ram, RME Multiface, RME Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, and too much more :)
Jack Winter is offline  
Old 01-26-2015, 06:00 AM   #153
sonnie
Human being with feelings
 
sonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 640
Default

What could be the cause of xruns with wineasio (64) and reaper64 with less than 256 samples buffer? (m-box mini and no inserts and 1 ch input with monitoring)
sonnie is offline  
Old 01-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #154
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings
 
Jack Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnie View Post
What could be the cause of xruns with wineasio (64) and reaper64 with less than 256 samples buffer? (m-box mini and no inserts and 1 ch input with monitoring)
Turn off Prefs->Buffering->Use native events for syncronizing, if you haven't already done so.
__________________
Software: Archlinux/KDE, Komplete8, IK Multimedia, Toontrack, Schwa/Stillwell and various other plugs. Gear: i7-2600k, 16gb ram, RME Multiface, RME Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, and too much more :)
Jack Winter is offline  
Old 01-27-2015, 01:51 AM   #155
sonnie
Human being with feelings
 
sonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 640
Default

Never read about this before. Lets give it a try today.

Jack, the RT Kernel you're using, what version is it? 3.1x? I need 3.16 at least, because gpu (non-free) driver.

edit: No X-runs anymore. Fun Fact: Now I have x-runs in Ardour with same settings.

Last edited by sonnie; 01-27-2015 at 07:29 AM.
sonnie is offline  
Old 01-27-2015, 11:17 PM   #156
banderlog
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1
Default

Interesting, how much porting to Linux may cost for developers? How many people should buy Linux version to make it profitable?
banderlog is offline  
Old 01-28-2015, 02:39 AM   #157
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings
 
Jack Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnie View Post
Never read about this before. Lets give it a try today.
It's the main fault with wine as seen from a reaper perspective. Many windows functions end up passing through the wineserver component, which unfortunately is single threaded, so a call to use a syncing primitive might end up waiting for some really slow call already in progress. In this case it makes native events unsuitable as a primitive for syncing threads. If the option is disabled reaper uses critical sections to sync the threads, this works very well as they are implemented as futexes (at least on linux). Mostly the wineserver problem is papered over by the anticipative fx processing which calculates the playback in advance, so delays won't cause any xruns.

My theory is that if the wineserver could be made multithreaded then reaper would run 100% xrun free under wine/linux. The only problems would be the few bugs or the missing functionality that still exist.

Quote:
Jack, the RT Kernel you're using, what version is it? 3.1x? I need 3.16 at least, because gpu (non-free) driver.
Unfortunately the latest -rt kernel patch available is the 3.14-rt series, as development has slowed down in protest due to many companies using the -rt patch but no one financing the development. I'm however pretty confident that we might see a 3.18-rt at some point.

Quote:
edit: No X-runs anymore. Fun Fact: Now I have x-runs in Ardour with same settings.
Heh. I've noticed that one important factor is to keep audio files on a separate harddisk (haven't tested with SSDs), be that for reaper or ardour. I also have to raise the anticipative fx processing buffer to 350-400ms to be able to run reaper xrun free on my rme multiface at 64 samples 44k1.
__________________
Software: Archlinux/KDE, Komplete8, IK Multimedia, Toontrack, Schwa/Stillwell and various other plugs. Gear: i7-2600k, 16gb ram, RME Multiface, RME Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, and too much more :)
Jack Winter is offline  
Old 01-29-2015, 03:55 AM   #158
sonnie
Human being with feelings
 
sonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 640
Default

I tried the linux-rt 3.14 on my Thinkpad (x200) and the experience was worse than without rt kernel. x-runs until 1024 buffer (with and without jack RT checkbox).
(here also with wineasio better performance than with "native" ardour)
sonnie is offline  
Old 02-19-2015, 10:34 AM   #159
daeavelwyn
Human being with feelings
 
daeavelwyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextone View Post
Debian Jessie
KXStudio
Wine-RT
Wineasio RT
Carla, with several instances of Kontakt loaded, using the carla-bridge-win64 for each
Reaper
Jack1

Priorities

Jack = 89
X = 52
Plasma-desktop = 52
WINE_RT = 75 (Wine-RT version 1.7.33, available as a single click install from the kxstudio repos, along with Carla-git, Wineasio-RT....)
WINE_SVR_RT = 79

Carla as VST-host (as well as host for hundred of LADSPA, Native Linux VST, and LV2 plugins), same wine settings for the plugins. Carla is available in 32 and 64 bit flavours, but you can load either in 64bit for example, with a multiarch Wine version. (Which is really easy to do as well, and is also in the kxstudio repos.)

Reaper = 76

Basic orchestral template running from morning to night, without problems. Average overall RAM use for K instances 28 GB (out of total 64GB)

Why not use VSTs in Reaper?

1. Because Wine still counts it as a single process, which places limits on resource per process. Using Carla as the VST host, all instances are each a separate process, each able to access full wine per instance.

2. Reaper runs far snappier in Wine-RT without VSTs loaded. Offloading the heavy lifting to a separate host means no xruns, graphics challenges, etc...


Hardware:

Intel i7 sandybridge 8 core (actually 4 with Hyperthreading turned off)
RME PCIe I/O (and the mature and reliable hdsp driver is already in the kernel, and has been for a long time. No third party D/L required)

64GB of DDR3 RAM

3 SSD drives, one for OS, 2 for sample libs.

47inch TV/monitor running 1920 x 1200 with nouveau (opensource nvidia driver) No tearing, no glitches, no lag.

With the exception of Kontakt, and Reaper, all native linux.

And all 64 bit.
Please Alex, could you provide more details about your setup and workflow (how many kontakt instances in carla, which sound library are you using, how have you tweak reaper/carla/soundcard/other stuff precisely, which files to configure and how). Do you use a session manager such as claudia/gladish/non-session ? If yes, which one ?
I'm actually trying to do the same kind of configuration and still have issue (most of the time xruns).

Thks for your reply

Last edited by daeavelwyn; 02-20-2015 at 06:15 AM.
daeavelwyn is offline  
Old 02-20-2015, 12:23 AM   #160
sonnie
Human being with feelings
 
sonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 640
Default

@Jack Winter: Is there a wineasio which works with jack2? I have much better performance with it but it always says it needs jack-dbus (jack2-dbus is not enough).
sonnie is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.