Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-08-2017, 04:03 AM   #41
The Byre
Human being with feelings

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Probably not - but could be a kewl feature for customers.

There seem to be a large number of people complaining and/or not wanting to deal with the inevitable. Everything will be 4K and later 8K and digital only. 50" screens and above are all over the place.
The Byre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:14 AM   #42
marcoctn

Yes to all (well no, I don't care about touch screen but I agree it seems to ve a must too)
Having reaper looking blurry on a macbook pro is a terrible "business card"

But more than everything i would love to have reaper reopen floating windows in the same place (or at least the same screen) ))

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Probably not - but could be a kewl feature for customers.

There seem to be a large number of people complaining and/or not wanting to deal with the inevitable. Everything will be 4K and later 8K and digital only. 50" screens and above are all over the place.
marcoctn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #43
BrendaEM

For what it matters, I purchased Reaper today.

I started this thread not as a competitor but a potential user.

I downloaded the "Default_5.0_hidpi.ReaperTheme" which looks better on my laptop. I can see the waveform in hi-res, now.

[As if it also matters, UI-wise reaper is pretty good. I would like a little more uniformity in the icons. I like a little skeumorphism kept in the UI.

I like rounded corners on rectangle buttons, something that someone would like to actually touch. I like colored buttons. I like dark themes, too.]
BrendaEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:27 PM   #44
SmajjL

Learning English never stops, thanks, skeumorphism? bless you!/gesundheit! I almost said.
Don't believe i've seen anyone mention the waveforms before, only GUI, good job!

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:05 AM   #45
Rangler

1.) Is high-res/4K/Retina display support is important to you?
Yes
2.) Do you have a display or laptop with a display greater than high-res/4K/Retina display?
Yes
3.) Are you planning buying a computer or display that has a high-res/4K/Retina in the future?
Yes
4.) Do you think that it would help your work to have a high-res/4K/Retina display?
Yes
5.) Would you like better touchscreen support?
Maybe
Rangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:46 AM   #46
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Learning English never stops, thanks, skeumorphism? bless you!/gesundheit! I almost said.
Don't believe i've seen anyone mention the waveforms before, only GUI, good job!
I had never seen or heard the word:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeuomorph
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:19 AM   #47
cern.th.skei

no, no, no, no.. and, no :-)
Old 07-15-2017, 02:19 AM   #48
Pashkuli
Banned

YES

to all questions
that is why I think Reaper should make some approach to vector based GUI.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:28 AM   #49
SmajjL

And Softie knows English! think it's a UK-thing

And! cern.th.skei is disqualified for posting NO twice!
Lord of the Thundercats eyesight beyond (future) sight say YES please.

Last edited by SmajjL; 07-15-2017 at 02:29 AM. Reason: :)
Old 07-15-2017, 02:30 AM   #50
Sleep opposed

Yes. Im only working on a laptop now and after fooling around with ableton live lite, i think Reaper could benefit from looking a "bit nicer" in this regards.

2.) Do you have a display or laptop with a display greater than high-res/4K/Retina display?

Its a MBP retina display..beyond that not sure.

3.) Are you planning buying a computer or display that has a high-res/4K/Retina in the future?

Hard to say

4.) Do you think that it would help your work to have a high-res/4K/Retina display?

I think pleasant visuals help your mindset. So yes.
Sleep opposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:11 AM   #51
bennetng

You can't properly support touch screen without correctly implementing a truly scalable UI. A touchable element must consider the size of an average human fingertip.

So without 1-4, you can't have 5.
bennetng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:31 AM   #52
bennetng

Also, how to make text in commonly used dialogs larger? For example, Preferences, Action List, FX/instrument browser and so on.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:26 PM   #53
Pashkuli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennetng View Post
You can't properly support touch screen without correctly implementing a truly scalable UI. A touchable element must consider the size of an average human fingertip.

So without 1-4, you can't have 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennetng View Post
Also, how to make text in commonly used dialogs larger? For example, Preferences, Action List, FX/instrument browser and so on.
I am with you on those, mate! It is time for a vector based GUI with scalable GUI elements and texts: zoom, pan, scroll...
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:53 PM   #54
ivansc

A general question for touch screen users:

IF you are using an actual monitor rather than just a laptop, how comfortable is it to be reaching forward to your screen all the time? The one thing that puts me off touchscreen is all the reaching about instead of just a mouse/scroll-ball on a desk pad. If I ever go touchscreen it will prolly be a 2 monitor setup with one for actually looking at and one lad out almost flat as the control surface, I guess.
So I would like some sort of feedback from those of you actually using a "proper" touch screen as part of our regular workflow.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:21 PM   #55
sightlessness

All 5 yes, ok 5 not that much, but yes.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:22 PM   #56
brainwreck

Other than for working with text, hi-res doesn't matter much to me. But yea, sharp and non-jagged text would be nice in a text editor, on a command line, in a pdf reader. But for a daw? It's just a bit of eye candy that I could take or leave.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:41 PM   #57
SmajjL

Yeah about 5.
I am not a touch'ie dude myself (yet) and I prefer mouse over a Wacom (habit)
But touch on the screen would meen that it is max an armslength away from the screen for obvious reasons, and the closer you are/bigger the screen? hello pixels!! how are ya
Certainly not against any future tech of improvement.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:08 AM   #58
bennetng

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Other than for working with text, hi-res doesn't matter much to me. But yea, sharp and non-jagged text would be nice in a text editor, on a command line, in a pdf reader. But for a daw? It's just a bit of eye candy that I could take or leave.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:13 AM   #59
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaEM View Post
No.
Quote:
No, though I purchased a 1900x1200 monitor a while back for my primary display (dual monitor setup) because I like having the extra vertical real estate. The 2nd monitor is 1900x1080.
Quote:
Beyond what I already have, no.
Quote:
Again, no.

Quote:
4.)(anything over 1920x1080 is should be considered high-dpi or high-res for the poll.

Perhaps this as well...
No. Touchscreen capability on a desktop means nothing to me. I can't imagine ever wanting to use it.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:12 AM   #60
bennetng

The whole thread looks something like people can make music with a 1GHz single core CPU in the past, so a multicore 3GHz one is not an absolute requirement. But the fact is that there is no 1GHz single core desktop processor on the market anymore.

At some point "low res" monitor will no longer be manufactured and you are forced to by the ones with higher DPI, possibly with new technologies to improve backlight and panel quality, not only related to image quality, but also reduce eye fatigue.

Also, don't forget about laptop users as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post
I don´t know if these topics are related but I guess they are.
I would like Reaper to better support different resolutions.
This needs a vector based gui, right?

I have to displays (27" monitor + 17" notebook), both are 1920 x 1080.
The notebook looks so f... small I had to scale it up to 125% in windows.
The result is better in terms of readability but blurred and fuzzy.

So I have to say, I don´t need hi-res (yet ??)
I don´t need touch. I like my mouse and my controller keyboard (Nektar LX88+)
The earlier a product to implement vector UI, the longer time for developers to debug UI problems before it's too late (no more "low res" or "low DPI" choices on the market).

Personally I don't care about touchscreen, but the fact is a functional touchscreen UI must be DPI-aware.

Last edited by bennetng; 07-16-2017 at 04:17 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:05 AM   #61
SmajjL

Segue UI semibold size 12 looks Very readeable to me, just not understandeable as I have no clue what I just typed.
It's the HiDPI Theme, Windows10 at 150% scale.
And if you chose to brighten up the text vs dark BG, it would be even easier of course.
I am pretty happy already, think WT and the devs already know what I can/could say though.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:02 AM   #62
bennetng

Quote:
Segue UI semibold size 12 looks Very readeable to me, just not understandeable as I have no clue what I just typed.
And if you chose to brighten up the text vs dark BG, it would be even easier of course.
I am pretty happy already, think WT and the devs already know what I can/could say though.

Yeah, 150% font size looks more comfortable for screen DPI up to 110 or so (for my eyes). Let me repost the DPI calculator link so people know their screen's DPI.
https://www.sven.de/dpi/

The text you show on your screenshot is called "Simplified Chinese". I'll show you the complexity of a typical "Traditional Chinese" conversation, which I was the OP
https://forums.dearhoney.idv.tw/view...249404#p249404

If you can see the text below, the text in your screenshot in traditional Chinese will look like this:

Code:
然而來的是嗎
Anyway, this thread is a "poll". People using languages with relatively simple ideographs could withstand the current situation (not specific to Reaper, all software in general) longer, but maybe only a little bit longer. And it is obviously not "eye candy" for users using complex ideographs.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:16 AM   #63
jm duchenne

As already said in this thread, I am not specially concerned by the resolution, but by the DPI.
I have a 12" 1980x1080 screen that needs a 150% scaling, but I have also a 32" 2560x1440 that is perfect at 100%.
The "high-res" support is for me needed for the only full HD one...

Yes

Certainly, since it is now usual on laptops.

No, but a good scaling without blur yes !

(anything over 1920x1080 is should be considered high-dpi or high-res for the poll.

Perhaps this as well...
I've seen that most of people don't care about this...
I have a 27" touchscreen that I whish I could use with Reaper.
To the question "I don´t need touch. I like my mouse and my controller keyboard" it is not exclusive, you don't have to choose (it is not an iPad) : you can use both ;-)
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:33 AM   #64
jm duchenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
A general question for touch screen users:
IF you are using an actual monitor rather than just a laptop, how comfortable is it to be reaching forward to your screen all the time? The one thing that puts me off touchscreen is all the reaching about instead of just a mouse/scroll-ball on a desk pad. If I ever go touchscreen it will prolly be a 2 monitor setup with one for actually looking at and one lad out almost flat as the control surface, I guess.
So I would like some sort of feedback from those of you actually using a "proper" touch screen as part of our regular workflow.
Yes, one touchscreen and one or two normal screens.
At a low angle a large touchscreen is very nice to use, very "natural", at least if you consider "natural" to use a paper and a pen on a table...
Together with a mouse and a pen (and a keyboard) you can adapt your gesture to the best workflow according to the task you do.
For example, to click on a button may be faster to do with a finger instead of reaching for a mouse or a pad, but to draw an automation envelope a pen is a must have ;-)

I suppose that each one will have its personnal preferences, so it is better to have the possibility than not ?

Of course, I even don't speak about multitouch controlers, like on an iPad, where it would be perfect... if developers eventually decide to make their apps compatible with the desktop OS (including Win10 which is both) !
You can try Usine (the Windows version) : your computer can become a giant iPad with plenty of space for both hands.
In Reaper that would mean at least the mixer, but moving and resizing clips will be nice too. It is actually possible, but the finger detection is generally too much small to be user friendly.
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #65
SmajjL

Yeah, you are right traditional can have some prrrrretty complicated lines detail I see, if you absolutely have to type (drums,synth,guitar) in the traditional way? I have no clue.
I chose 150% primarily because of how I would like the Windows text to look like, and some areas of REAPER follows that, no choice, and MS had some fantastic timing to remove the old text size option..
Maby Microsoft will help out with some magic hopefully this year then.
And yes, this is a poll, thank you sooOo much for reminding me. *fixing* yes sir!

Old 07-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #66
TheWhistler

To me it seems that there are a lot of things related to higher resolution.
Even if you do not really need hi-res (because of screen estate) it might be useful in other cases (notebook, touch, ....).

At the end of the day (month, year, decade ??) everything technically developes further on.

There will come the day when a 32" hi-res monitor is in reach even for a hobby user as I am.

So I suppose devs will have to give this some attention at a point.
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:45 AM   #67
TheWhistler

Quote:

Could I use this theme to solve my blurred screen on my notebook?
I mean in terms of upscaling to 125-150% and not having blurred graphics?
Old 07-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #68
Gurt Tractor

Quote:
I am curious...
1.) Yeah I don't see why not seeing as the availability of high-DPI screens is pretty good right now and will only get better.

2.) Nope not yet, highest res device I have is my phone...

3.) Yep absolutely. Lack of/patchy support for high-DPI in some software, the power of my GPU for games being good enough for 1080p but probably not much further, and the main reason; not enough cash money to buy one right now, are what is stopping me from being on a couple of tasty 4k displays already. Higher resolutions and greater refresh rates are the way forward.

4.) Yep, being able to fit more on one screen would be great, and smoother text would be really nice. With regards to DAWs, being able to have really thin grid lines and sharper waveforms would make a lot of sense.

5.) Not bothered particularly about touchscreens, I'm not really a fan of the lack of tactility. But a I could see it being really usefull in a live environment to have a nice touch mode to quickly activate stuff I guess.

Give it another ten years and many of these No answers will turn to Yes I think (maybe not the touchscreen thing). It should be a focus for software developers right now anyway, get the framework in place.
Gurt Tractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:12 PM   #69
bennetng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurt Tractor View Post
1.)Give it another ten years and many of these No answers will turn to Yes I think (maybe not the touchscreen thing). It should be a focus for software developers right now anyway, get the framework in place.
For me it is not 10 years, it would be -10 months (note the minus sign)

Just picked some Dell monitors, excluding some obvious ones like 8K, curved, and gaming models.
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/monit...efinements=654

E1916H: 1366 x 768 (TN Panel) = 82 PPI
P2017H: 1600 x 900 = 92 PPI
P2217H: 1920 x 1080 = 100 PPI
S2418NX: 1920 x 1080 = 92 PPI
UP2516D: 2560 x 1440 = 118 PPI
S2718D: 2560 x 1440 = 109 PPI
S2817Q: 3840 x 2160 = 157 PPI
UP3216Q: 3840 x 2160 = 138 PPI

Compare them with some earlier models with different aspect ratios:
15" @ 1024 x 768 = 85 PPI
19" @ 1280 x 1024 = 86 PPI

What conclusion can we draw? The bigger the screen size, the higher the PPI. People should also consider their optimal viewing distance when using monitors with different screen sizes. Also TN panels, commonly found on gaming monitors (due to fast response time) and older monitors (IPS was still uncommon in the past) have poorer horizontal and very poor vertical viewing angle when compared with IPS panels. Which means you may be able to use up two smaller TN monitors horizontally, but not vertically, or put your monitor on portrait mode. I still remember when I tilted my old and dead 19" TN to make it portrait, it showed different images on my left and right eye, totally unusable.

Also, when people buy monitors, they need to consider their available physical space. For example, I can't put two 19" 16:9 monitors side by side because I don't have enough horizontal space, but I can use a 25" one because I have enough vertical space. However I ended up with a 24" 1080p one. Why? Because it has lower PPI, flicker-free and equipped with a portrait rotation base.

For desktop monitors, people can still make some very constrained choices. Unfortunately, for laptop users, no choices because you can't buy a hi-end laptop with lo-res screen!

Not to mention I am a traditional Chinese user and need more screen details. Simplified Chinese utilize different input methods and it is just as awkward as those early Japanese NES games with limited resolution can only show Kana instead of Kanji.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:57 AM   #70
SmajjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post
Could I use this theme to solve my blurred screen on my notebook?
I mean in terms of upscaling to 125-150% and not having blurred graphics?
So at my place, on Windows10 w latest update and all that, I am running 150% scale on my 32" 3840x2160 (137 DPI/what evs)
Intel HD Graphics Control Panel > Display = Center Image
REAPER preferences>general>advanced UI>HiDPI mode = Aware (experimental'ness)
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=187123 for the theme and read.

If you try unaware and experiment to see what does what, you need to restart REAPER each time.
It should not look blurry, if you swap to other themes made on lower rrrrresolution ( ) they should only look tiny, not "unsharp or blurry per say. (in Aware mode)
If you want/need to run you old fav theme, you can use the unaware mode, but it will be a tad blurry, not drama blurry, just little meh-blurry.

Ps, REAPER topic LAW states §13.37 that if quoted, it is the REAPERian's duty to answer, or try.
*me hides*

Last edited by SmajjL; 07-17-2017 at 07:07 AM. Reason: I don't use reason, I use REAPER, & mind you own business.. :p
Old 07-17-2017, 08:12 AM   #71
blumpy

Default reply

Yes

Yes (3 monitors, one set to 2560 x 1440 & two set to 3840 x 2160)

I'll buy another 4k monitor soon to replace the 2560 x 1440.

Anything less than 2560 x 1440 is unworkable in my opinion. Even back in the CRT days I had at least 1600 x 1200. 1920 x 1080 cannot fit enough vertical information on the screen.

All that said I cannot tell much difference between high dpi skins & the normal skins. In fact, sometimes the lines & fonts are too thin & are more difficult to read. Perhaps I don't understand why high dpi skins are necessary.

Finally, I've tested out 5k monitors (5k iMac) at the apple store. You have to set customize the display setting to get the full resolution & it's just too small.
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #72
TheWhistler

Quote:
So at my place, on Windows10 w latest update and all that, I am running 150% scale on my 32" 3840x2160 (137 DPI/what evs)
Intel HD Graphics Control Panel > Display = Center Image
REAPER preferences>general>advanced UI>HiDPI mode = Aware (experimental'ness)
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=187123 for the theme and read.
I have worked myself (partly) through this thread. Lot of interesting information there.
Thank´s for the heads up and the hint for the prefs.

Quote:
If you try unaware and experiment to see what does what, you need to restart REAPER each time.
It should not look blurry, if you swap to other themes made on lower rrrrresolution ( ) they should only look tiny, not "unsharp or blurry per say. (in Aware mode)
If you want/need to run you old fav theme, you can use the unaware mode, but it will be a tad blurry, not drama blurry, just little meh-blurry.
I don´t mind using the standard theme. I will give that a try.
It is not such a terrible pita because the problem resides on the laptop monitor,
which I have to scale up to 125% in windows for better readability.
I use a 27" screen as my main display. I have my mixer on it.

Am I right that HiDPI is only available in pre-releases?

Quote:
Ps, REAPER topic LAW states §13.37 that if quoted, it is the REAPERian's duty to answer, or try.
*me hides*
Have I forgot to answer at some point? Sorry if so!
Old 07-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #73

Nope. As long as I can see the controls and stuff, that's all that matters to me. Sure I like the gui, I like the realistic look of a console etc but standard resolution is fine for me
4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:40 AM   #74
SmajjL

You are welcome, just so you can be free and experiment, not sure if I forgot something, do what is the best option for you atm will have to due.
And I am only thinking about REAPER & themes itself, not beautiful old VST gems or Windows apps that might have to be replaced or compromised, going 1080p on a 4K is not that... bad though, 4k can atleast do that, but a 1080p would have a way harder time attempting going 4K.

Ahh yeah btw, one more setting is the Adjust ClearType Text, and one way to get there is by clicking the Windows icon once, then type fonts.
You can tweak the registry also for different fonts but stuff as the clock and the calculator app could look funny.. not my fault.

Yeah and that theme is for high dpi gizmos but just happends to be useful for my 4k & me also, I need to schrink it abit though (because of my Windows 150% preference) and already have by just choosing different fonts, I have got used to it and like it now, better to start themeing and do what the heck I want.
For REAPER plugs, I actually like smaller, but I can't since the text will also go way to small, I could before, before Microsoft just had to, "change" stuffs.

And nope buddy, it was more me pre-defending myself from the off topic cops as I tend to go places with my own off topic, I am just abit schooby doo, can't help it, just humor.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:11 AM   #75
airon

Quote:
Yes, in the long run it is inevitable.

Quote:
Yes. 1440p , 109 ppi. It's never going down again.

Quote:
Yes. 4K or higher most likely.

Quote:
It does. Single screen mixing workflow.

Quote:
Not used that for Reaper itself yet. That's a paradigm change to make it an effective interface. So far I've used OSC controllers and mixer remote interfaces on a touch screen. Both were made for touch screens, not the desktop.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:25 AM   #76
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
I think hidpi and low res will live side by side in future.
That's wishful thinking, I fear. From what I've seen, the industry analysis suggests that this is a primary thrust for offering an upgrade path to existing users - Windows and OSX, premium and budget. The technology is there, its inexpensive and only getting cheaper. Users may not be asking for it, but when they experience it they like it. And "yeah, that's quite nice I suppose" is about as good as a value proposition gets in the current computer market

Screen resolutions on phones are approaching print-parity. Laptops will be next, desktop after that. I hear that in home cinema tests, users much prefer high colour depth to high resolution. They're being pushed to high resolution because of ease of supply, not consumer demand. Its a funny old world, but you've got to sell this year's new stuff somehow.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:52 AM   #77
bennetng

Yeah, when 150PPI is "low res" and 300PPI is "hi-res". It's a relative term anyway. Just like we called 720p "HD", but then we have "Full HD" (1080p), "QHD" (1440p) "UHD" (4k), at some point such naming methods became confusing, we just call them 5k, 8k... and 11k.

https://www.engadget.com/2015/07/10/...g-11k-display/

Now we have 100+PPI desktop monitors and 400+PPI phones. When phones can have 2000+PPI, it is reasonable to expect 500+PPI desktop monitors and 1000+PPI laptop screens, people will use VR and AR on DAWs, you can use a drinking straw as a wind controller and so on.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:05 AM   #78
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
i don't think, that HiDPI will displace today's monitors, for example to me 1920x1080 on 21'/24' is more than enough, i don't see any blur or sharpness, on my monitor this res looking good.
And i don't believe that hidpi monitors will ever cost the same price as low res.
I think hidpi and low res will live side by side in future.
That's not how it works. Lower resolution screens will eventually go out of production.
It's a numbers game. Economies of scale in production. It could be that as lower resolutions are pushed out of the market you will still be able to buy lower res screens from budget manufacturers. However the ATD and technical precision won't be there from those suppliers. So if you want good colour accuracy, contrast, viewing angles and motion reproduction from a well built panel then you will eventually need to go with higher resolutions.

What could help 1080p/i stay around for a longer while than other standards is the fact that it is a broadcast standard, Blu-ray, games consoles and a nice average for modest bandwidth online formats.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:19 AM   #79
SmajjL

The new gen smartphone's Cameras and watching the difference/compare to my "few years old" only smartphone on Youtube sure was NOT an economical good idea.. either, I noticed, yet another reason of push push forward, damnit. love it though, speaking for myself.

Last edited by SmajjL; 07-18-2017 at 07:35 AM. Reason: protected by the eum, sub-topic.. be gentle.. :)
Old 07-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #80
bennetng

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
I hear that in home cinema tests, users much prefer high colour depth to high resolution. They're being pushed to high resolution because of ease of supply, not consumer demand. Its a funny old world, but you've got to sell this year's new stuff somehow.
So true. For example OLED has wide color gamut and no backlight leakage, but very expensive for large screens.

In the meantime Windows should employ some better bitmap scaling algorithm for legacy software. The "enhanced" scaling algorithm in Win10 is just pathetic.

http://www.madvr.com/

madVR, a GPU-assisted video renderer for example, has much better scaling quality. My GTX950 can run the beautiful NGU algorithm at 1080p and 60fps, so I suppose something like RX480 or GTX1060 should be no problem at 4k scaling.

Just an example of NGU scaling on Reaper's standard DPI theme.