Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings

Default What is "channel pressure" midi CC thingy?

I have data in a channel pressure midi CC thing, and I have no idea what it is.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
DarkStar

Channel Pressure is also know as Aftertouch (not the same as Polyphonic Aftertouch)

More info here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=127635

Where did it come from? And what do you want to do with it?
Old 09-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Channel Pressure is also know as Aftertouch (not the same as Polyphonic Aftertouch)

More info here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=127635

Where did it come from? And what do you want to do with it?
It must have come from my small axiom 25, because I don't have aftertouch on my p85, I don't really want to do anything with it. I was just deleting midi CCs to start fresh, and I was wondering what that was, whether or not I could delete it, and whether or not I wanted it, or could make use of it.

So you answered my question. Not sure what my aftertouch was mapped to on my instrument, but I don't really have any sustained notes where it would make any difference I think.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Studio Tan

If you don't use the aftertouch function, you can disable it on your Axiom.

Then you keep your MIDI data stream thinner, and don't have to delete them from your tracks. Check your Axiom manual.

BTW, aftertouch data can be huge if you tend to press on your keys much, so if you don't need it, it would be very beneficial to disable it on your controller.
Studio Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
martygras

Aftertouch/channel pressure can really enhance the emulation of wind instruments. (Horns,oboes etc.) and more.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Studio Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by martygras View Post
Aftertouch/channel pressure can really enhance the emulation of wind instruments. (Horns,oboes etc.) and more.
Extremely true. Emulating these instruments is really tough, and the more controllers you can use to do so helps. I am a Sax and Flute player also, and really understand how much of a skill it is to emulate these instruments with MIDI controllers.

Also, filter sweeps on synths, and you can remap these CC's to other functions.

But if not using these attributes, it is very desirable to just turn them off to keep the MIDI data stream thin.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
Tod

It's actually a great controller for some things. Like vibrato, there's just something about pressing a key that gives it more feeling. It can also have more feeling and be more expressive than a slider, wheel, or foot pedal.

Nearly all the instruments and patches in my old keyboards and sound modules were setup with aftertouch for vibrato. I don't see it quite so much with VSTis although with Kontakt it's not too hard to program it in.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
martygras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
It's actually a great controller for some things. Like vibrato, there's just something about pressing a key that gives it more feeling. It can also have more feeling and be more expressive than a slider, wheel, or foot pedal.

Nearly all the instruments and patches in my old keyboards and sound modules were setup with aftertouch for vibrato. I don't see it quite so much with VSTis although with Kontakt it's not too hard to program it in.
Tod, yeah I used to have an Italian synth in the 80's (Nova???) with really nice pressure curve, and it was just so expressive. I miss that tactile response.
Now I use an EWI live with Garritan libraries. Lovely.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
The Telenator
Banned

I haven't heard it called 'channel pressure' in quite some time, but I am totally in love with Aftertouch. Like it's been pointed out, it can add loads to note expression and such.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
Studio Tan

Unfortunately, keyboard mfg's really vary the effectiveness of the aftertouch due to build quality, etc.

For example, my first MIDI board was a JX-8P. The aftertouch absolutely sucked, and I have heard this over and over through the years. So apparently, it wasn't just my board.

Some get it really good though, and when it works properly, can really enhance performance skills.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #11
The Telenator
Banned

That was good to mention, Studio Tan. I thought about that after posting. It is still considered an 'extra' by some keyboard makers, and I wish it were standardised and made available to everyone on any keys. I expect it will be before long, as more and more synths offer the feature and more presets have it included. I got lucky -- being a basic non-keyboardist, I bought the inexpensive Graphite 49 and it works extremely well. I saw it listed as a feature before buying but had no idea what to expect for quality.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote