Old 09-17-2021, 12:37 AM   #1
daniellumertz
Human being with feelings

Default OSC as Shortcut

Hey people, I am looking how I can do this:

Put a OSC address as a shortcut. I am trying to click add, send OSC (That is working, I can control reaper with it.) but nothing happens....

HEY PEOPLE I JUST FOND IT! AT each OSC connection you must check
Allow binding messages to REAPER actions and FX learn. This is at the OSC device Edit "Control Surface Settings window"

Last edited by daniellumertz; 09-17-2021 at 12:44 AM.
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:22 AM   #2
mschnell

Do you need to include "OSC" in the list of "control surfaces..." to allow Reaper to react on OSC messages at all ?

I suppose when using ReaLearn to listen to OSC messages (which supposedly is more versatile that directly defining actions), you would not do such.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:52 AM   #3
daniellumertz

I needed to put as a shortcut so I could get the osc values inside a script as there is no API to get osc inside rescript .
Old 09-18-2021, 02:06 PM   #4
mschnell

I understand you could use ReaLearn to convert OSC messages with values to Midi representations in the the control path that can be read by scripts (including values).
-Michael
Old 09-18-2021, 02:55 PM   #5
daniellumertz

Ok I can get OSC with realearn, but I still dont get how I supossely would pass that info to a reascript. You said something about transforming it to MIDI, but how would a reascript get MIDI? AFAIK there is no API to get incoming midi.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:36 PM   #6
mschnell

In the control path there is a type of messages that are called "Midi", as they e.g. are generated when you activate "control" in a Midi driver definition. They also are generated by the "MidiToReaControlPath" VST (including the values of e.g CC messages). These messages can be "learned" by Reaper Actions and a script triggered by such an action can read the values within the messages from the script context by "get_action_context()".

Reaper can generate ControlPath Messages also from OSC, but seemingly the values coming with the OSC messages are ignored and not available in the message context.

AFAIU, ReaLearn can generate such ControlPath Messages (including Values) from any of it's sources (including OSC).

Last edited by mschnell; 09-19-2021 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:45 AM   #7
mschnell

AFAIU, the "CSI" Reaper extension also can receive OSC and call Reaper events with parameter values.

BTW.: in my system, that I set up some years ago, as neither of ReaLearn or CSI was released, I do something similar by using OSCIIBot to convert OSC to Midi CCs to and fro, and use LoopMidi to hook OSCIIBot and Reaper together.

-Michael