Old 04-09-2020, 05:05 AM   #1
Colox
Human being with feelings

Default Advise me: am I fine, or f*cked?

I have zoned in on a task, to the point where I've become a little dim-whitted mentally. Hope you know how I mean. I could use some outside re-assurement, that what I suspect is correct and not wrong.

I have made a sound construction, in Reaper, a synthetic clinical sound which is to be used for .. a clinical unusual usage. In order for this idea to work, I needed to render it out in parts, sizes and portions. I know it sounds more crazy and weird when you read about it, but the benefits are huge for me. So bare with me.
This has taken me two whole days to do, so if I can avoid to to this again, it would be pretty (damn!!) convenient.

To avoid doing it again, I was real careful with settings and details. However, now that I am almost done, I just discovered a setting that could have the potential of messing this up. Why am I not surprised!

I could use your more sober brains to re-assure me however I am fine, or f*cked.

The setting I discovered, that could mess things up, was the pan law setting. My standard Reaper setting is for all project files to employ pan law -3. When I first saw this, I got afraid that this setting might have mucked up the stereo image of the files I rendered out. But at second thought, that may have been a foregone impression and things may actually be fine after all.

The sounds I rendered out, are basically two mono tracks, where both tracks are very different in sound from the other one. These two tracks are panned full left and full right respectively, and are then rendered (exported) out as 1 stereo file. Each mono track also have identical linear phase EQ and a 1-pole LP filter on it. All other settings and conditions are identical and no other affecting factors exist.

I need this to become a stereo file with much undistorted stereo width as the sonic differences between L and R channel naturally allows for. I don't want anything distorting this stereo image, at all.

Question is, does a pan law of -3 really affect the stereo width, if both pan handles are full L and Right, and no other sounds are present but far left and right?

At first I thought the middle would be 3db lower in volume. But now I believe that only applies to the phantom centre if you got something panned in the centre area.

Am I right or wrong in this?
Do I need to redo the whole damn thing again?
Am I fine, or f*cked?

Thanks for your quick advice

Last edited by Colox; 04-09-2020 at 05:20 AM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:15 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

You're fine, pan law does not affect a signal that is hard-panned 100% left or right.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:30 AM   #3
Colox
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
You're fine, pan law does not affect a signal that is hard-panned 100% left or right.
Oh, thank God.
.. I mean, thanks Schwa.

Funny how the dim-whittedness of long routining make one distrust what I otherwise feel I should know.