Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 06-29-2022, 09:29 PM   #1
Time Waster
Human being with feelings

Default Why would you use Windows?

Not reaper related. Today I needed to scan something. I have an old Epson printer which gives no end of trouble on windows. I plugged it into my Linux laptop and it immediately recognized the printer and found a driver. I found some scanning software that was already installed on my computer. Scanned the documents, no problem. Found some free PDF software, (not payware or scamware) which installed on seconds. Merged the scans into a PDF and sent it off. Couldn't be happier. Just had to share that.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:39 PM   #2
mschnell

Even more off-topic:
I suppose with the ARM based Apple machines that seem to outperform Windows boxes with the same price tag, and using a lot less power, there will be a hard time for Windows coming up.
Don't know if it makes sense top run Linux on those...
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:44 PM   #3
4duhwinnn

A relative uses an Adobe software suite for work and hobbies, and so much windows trouble brewed with the windows versions, that he demoed and bought an M1, and the software troubles went away when it powered on.
Another one bytes the dust
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:05 AM   #4
fabio77

I can confirm, that on my Ubuntu system all runs smoothly, especially printers

I'm on Ubuntu now since 2011 and couldn't wait the day I don't need Windows to run Cubase anymore.

Now, in the last 2 month I finally found out about yarbridge, that brings the most vst-plugins to run on Linux, that I am really really happy about it. And I wouldn't have found this solution without some youtube-videos about reaper. So, thanks to reaper, I can make my music on Linux

By the way, I knew ardour and tested it together with reaper, now I got the vst's run, and I have great respect for ardour too, but the customizability of reaper is really awesome.

If I now find a good alternative for the Halion-Symphonic-Orchestra, I can shutdown Windows permanently.
fabio77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:56 AM   #5
Mcgiver69

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio77 View Post
I can confirm, that on my Ubuntu system all runs smoothly, especially printers

I'm on Ubuntu now since 2011 and couldn't wait the day I don't need Windows to run Cubase anymore.

Now, in the last 2 month I finally found out about yarbridge, that brings the most vst-plugins to run on Linux, that I am really really happy about it. And I wouldn't have found this solution without some youtube-videos about reaper. So, thanks to reaper, I can make my music on Linux

By the way, I knew ardour and tested it together with reaper, now I got the vst's run, and I have great respect for ardour too, but the customizability of reaper is really awesome.

If I now find a good alternative for the Halion-Symphonic-Orchestra, I can shutdown Windows permanently.
Try these, maybe not same quality but they are worth a try
https://musictop69.wixsite.com/orchestools
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:09 AM   #6
michael diemer

I'm not familiar with the sounds of Halion. I always assumed it is a general midi set, or perhaps somewhat better, like Garritan. So I have no experience getting it to work.

However, there are definitely alternatives. For one, Garritan runs well on Wine. Also, as Kontakt (both free and full versions) runs well on wine, anything that uses Kontakt will thus work on Linux. Project Sam's Free Orchestra. The Kontakt Factory Library, which has the VSL Library, which while not as good as the full Vienna libraries, is still very decent.

I have not had any luck getting Spitfire to work. I did just buy the Cinesamples Orchestra Core. They are having a huge sale, but it ends July 1. They have something called Symphony Lite for 215.00. I'm not sure what it is exactly, probably something like Discover Core.

Anyway, with Cinesamples Orchestra Core, I have sounds that are as good or better as what I had in Windows (EWSO Gold, Vienna Special Edition and Appasionata Strings). I also have Cinematic Strings, which also uses kontakt. So, I have two high-end string libraries, and a high-end brass and woodwind library. I have no need of windows now, though I'll keep it around as an archive from which I may need to mine things now and then.

So there are options. To my ears, Orchestools sounds rather synthy, not truly orchestral.
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:23 AM   #7
fabio77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgiver69 View Post
Try these, maybe not same quality but they are worth a try
https://musictop69.wixsite.com/orchestools
Sounds great. Still not the solo cello and violin I search for, but for all other string parts it should be more than fine. Thank you for the link!
Old 06-30-2022, 10:43 AM   #8
fabio77

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
I'm not familiar with the sounds of Halion. I always assumed it is a general midi set, or perhaps somewhat better, like Garritan. So I have no experience getting it to work.

However, there are definitely alternatives. For one, Garritan runs well on Wine. Also, as Kontakt (both free and full versions) runs well on wine, anything that uses Kontakt will thus work on Linux. Project Sam's Free Orchestra. The Kontakt Factory Library, which has the VSL Library, which while not as good as the full Vienna libraries, is still very decent.

I have not had any luck getting Spitfire to work. I did just buy the Cinesamples Orchestra Core. They are having a huge sale, but it ends July 1. They have something called Symphony Lite for 215.00. I'm not sure what it is exactly, probably something like Discover Core.

Anyway, with Cinesamples Orchestra Core, I have sounds that are as good or better as what I had in Windows (EWSO Gold, Vienna Special Edition and Appasionata Strings). I also have Cinematic Strings, which also uses kontakt. So, I have two high-end string libraries, and a high-end brass and woodwind library. I have no need of windows now, though I'll keep it around as an archive from which I may need to mine things now and then.

So there are options. To my ears, Orchestools sounds rather synthy, not truly orchestral.
I have just took a quick look on the Garritan and Cinesamples. And especially the Cinestrings Solo could really be an alternative regarding the solo cello and violin. Although it is much as twice the price of the Halion Symphonic Orchestra wich includes all instruments instead of just the solo strings.
Too bad the sale ends tomorrow, because I would first have to try kontakt is really running on my system and have a second look on the instruments. But this way I have plenty of time until the next sale to get a second look on the Garritan instruments too. But I am confident now, I can get all I need sooner or later. Thank you very much for your suggestions.

And like I said in the previous post, with the Orchestools I should be able to replace the SINE strings, that were really nice for making some string-pads.

Last edited by fabio77; 06-30-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:47 AM   #9
foxAsteria

I was amazed when all of my Photoshop projects opened in GIMP with no complaints, conversions or fuss.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:49 PM   #10
mschnell

Hence we need Kimp (aka Kontakt-Gimp)

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:56 AM   #11
ivansc

Only reason I am still clinging to Windows whilst still playing with Linux is WINE.

I still have not been able to implement it reliably & in any case several of my key plugins won`t install/work.
If only someone could come up with a better way to use windows-based plugins within Linux....
Old 07-02-2022, 02:28 AM   #12
grinder

I was looking at plugins a few days ago I started looking at one makers plugins and started comparing the size of the .exe file needed by both Mac and Windows plugins.
There was a real difference in that the Apple size was at every time larger than that of Windows?

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:28 AM   #13
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
If only someone could come up with a better way to use windows-based plugins within Linux....
I think this statement comes across as rather disrespectful to all the amazing work put in by developers who've spent so much time and effort to bring us Wine and Yabridge.

I look at it from a different angle - Linux and Windows are completely different operating systems and I think we're incredibly fortunate on Linux to have both Wine and Yabridge working as well as they do. I mean, to reverse the perspective, can you run ANY native Linux plugins on Windows? Would you expect to be able to?

In my opinion, a more reasonable wish would be: if only more plugin developers would release native Linux versions of their plugins...and with the advent of CLAP, which by all accounts has the potential to make that easier, who knows...
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:43 AM   #14
fabio77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
In my opinion, a more reasonable wish would be: if only more plugin developers would release native Linux versions of their plugins...
Yes, this is a good wish

For this reason I highly appreciate the work of reaper itself, but also Moddart who releases their Pianoteq native on Linux.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:43 AM   #15
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Only reason I am still clinging to Windows whilst still playing with Linux is WINE.

I still have not been able to implement it reliably & in any case several of my key plugins won`t install/work.
You should mention the plugins you need, in case someone has one or more of them working, or can name a viable alternative. AVLinux AHS is based on MX Linux, and comes with a stable wine-staging 6.22 installed and ready to go, so you can test plugin installs in a live dvd session. A Reaper demo is also included, and the yabridge wrapper tool.
Cheers
Old 07-02-2022, 05:46 AM   #16
heda

I would rather prefer to not install wine. And use native Linux plugins only. Wine could be a security issue.

I guess, now that we have yabridge, companies could say they are not interested in using their resources to create native Linux versions when people could just use yabridge.

But I don't want to mean that I don't appreciate the work in yabridge. It is amazing and it certainly makes the switch to Linux for many users possible.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:55 AM   #17
fabio77

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
I would rather prefer to not install wine. And use native Linux plugins only. Wine could be a security issue.

I guess, now that we have yabridge, companies could say they are not interested in using their resources to create native Linux versions when people could just use yabridge.

But I don't want to mean that I don't appreciate the work in yabridge. It is amazing and it certainly makes the switch to Linux for many users possible.
Or now, that with yabridge less linux users are forced to use windows, more companies are considering to create for linux also. Maybe thats wishful thinking, but who knows.

When I see the possible alternatives that with yabridge run on linux already, there is actual no reason to buy the steinberg software anymore, for example. Espacially when this company makes it impossible to use its sofware in linux.
Old 07-02-2022, 08:06 AM   #18
Largos

It's a bit nonsensical to give your money to any software companies who refuse to make it work on your OS of choice. Instead rely on unpaid people (AFAIK) to "fix it" with bridges. That said, bridges are nice to have if you are switching and want to use what you've already paid for but don't rely on them, there are multiple points of potential failure.
Largos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:49 AM   #19
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largos View Post
bridges are nice to have if you are switching and want to use what you've already paid for but don't rely on them
My philosophy exactly. The handful of Windows instrument plugins I still use in Linux, were purchased when I ran Windows. I will never buy another Windows plugin, or even install any new free ones.

I'm only spending my money on native Linux plugins, and not supporting vendors who only cater to Mac/Win.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:07 AM   #20
fabio77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
My philosophy exactly. The handful of Windows instrument plugins I still use in Linux, were purchased when I ran Windows. I will never buy another Windows plugin, or even install any new free ones.

I'm only spending my money on native Linux plugins, and not supporting vendors who only cater to Mac/Win.
I would agree, but like I asked on this thread, are there really alternatives?
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=268338

A month ago I purchased the pianoteq, exactly because they deliver a native linux install. But are there alternatives that could compare to instruments like some orchestrals?
Old 07-02-2022, 09:32 AM   #21
michael diemer

Quote:
I would agree, but like I asked on this thread, are there really alternatives?
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=268338

A month ago I purchased the pianoteq, exactly because they deliver a native linux install. But are there alternatives that could compare to instruments like some orchestrals?
For those of us doing orchestral music, who need high-quality libraries, no, there are no native Linux alternatives at this time that are of comparable quality. People who don't need these libraries often forget that there are people who do. Being a native-only Linux purist makes sense for them. It doesn't make sense for us.

So it comes down to what kind of music you are doing. Your needs are valid. So are mine. So to for the person doing Hip Hop or electronic music. We all have the right to make the kind of music our souls long to make. We don't pass judgment on each other because of the kind of music we make. We also need to not judge each other for how "pure" our process of making it is.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:50 AM   #22
fabio77

Quote:
For those of us doing orchestral music, who need high-quality libraries, no, there are no native Linux alternatives at this time that are of comparable quality. People who don't need these libraries often forget that there are people who do. Being a native-only Linux purist makes sense for them. It doesn't make sense for us.

So it comes down to what kind of music you are doing. Your needs are valid. So are mine. So to for the person doing Hip Hop or electronic music. We all have the right to make the kind of music our souls long to make. We don't pass judgment on each other because of the kind of music we make. We also need to not judge each other for how "pure" our process of making it is.
I agree on this too. And I think there is no judgement on neither side, at least I don't see one here

My question above was curiosity. Maybe there is more that I don't know of, and someone who does music on linux for a longer period of time knows more things I could not find yet.
For example I did not realize pianoteq is making native linux instruments a few month ago. And they are really good in what they are doing. Same thing with reaper or bitwig. There are more and more companies, that are developing for linux too, that I have missed over the years.

And I don't want to miss the day that Native Instruments will release a really "Native" Instrument on Linux or someone else, that can compare to those sound libraries.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:58 AM   #23
michael diemer

Quote:
I agree on this too. And I think there is no judgement on neither side, at least I don't see one here

My question above was curiosity. Maybe there is more that I don't know of, and someone who does music on linux for a longer period of time knows more things I could not find yet.
For example I did not realize pianoteq is making native linux instruments a few month ago. And they are really good in what they are doing. Same thing with reaper or bitwig. There are more and more companies, that are developing for linux too, that I have missed over the years.

And I don't want to miss the day that Native Instruments will release a really "Native" Instrument on Linux or someone else, that can compare to those sound libraries.
I sometimes get a slight whiff of native-only purity here, but much more-so on the Linux Musicians forum. I just wanted to emphasize that we are all Linux musicians, not just those who will have nothing to do with wine or LinVST or Yabridge, seeing those as compromises with the devil. I can't actually think of any names here who fit that bill, but on the Linux musicians forum there are folks who make a big stink about it. Fortunately, they don't get to decide what I, you or anyone else gets to do.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:04 AM   #24
Glennbo

Quote:

Quote:

In my case, when I moved from Windows, I already had all the plugins I need, so when I moved to Linux and got them working bridged in WINE, I was done with plugins.

Since I mostly work with real instruments, I could still record stuff with zero plugins, but if I were doing orchestral stuff like you guys, and didn't have all the instruments I needed, I might be singing a different tune. That said, I still have all the .gig files I collected over the years when I ran GigaStudio96 on a dedicated machine, and some of them are high quality Emu samples that work great in LinuxSampler.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:25 AM   #25
fabio77

Quote:
Since I mostly work with real instruments, I could still record stuff with zero plugins
You're lucky
Old 07-02-2022, 12:00 PM   #26
audiojunkie

Quote:

I’m taking it even a step further. I’m focusing on buying the native linux apps that come in distro-agnostic packaging. Instead of .debs, I prefer zip files that let me manually paste the plugins to whatever folder I choose. I understand, and I’m ok with them being compiled on a single distro (such as ubuntu), but to distribute as “only” .debs tells me that the developer isn’t interested in selling to any distro family other than the Debian family. That leaves all of the other distros out in the cold. I recently changed my distro of choice from EndeavourOS to Fedora, which I perceive as a sane choice between “bleeding edge” distros and “stable” distros. Fedora is “leading edge”, but not “bleeding edge” as far as technology goes—it has the newest tech, like pipewire, without the need for bleeding edge maintenance. So far, I really like it! But it has made me realize how little closed source on linux considers any distro family other than the Debian family.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:39 PM   #27
Glennbo

Quote:
You're lucky
I've also thought about what would happen if the power grid were to fail. I could still play my acoustic drums, acoustic piano, and acoustic guitars while waiting for them to fix the grid.

Alternatively I could just setup my solar powered REAPER running on a Raspberry Pi4 system and not miss a beat.

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/05/img...205_812770.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
I’m taking it even a step further. I’m focusing on buying the native linux apps that come in distro-agnostic packaging. Instead of .debs, I prefer zip files that let me manually paste the plugins to whatever folder I choose. I understand, and I’m ok with them being compiled on a single distro (such as ubuntu), but to distribute as “only” .debs tells me that the developer isn’t interested in selling to any distro family other than the Debian family. That leaves all of the other distros out in the cold. I recently changed my distro of choice from EndeavourOS to Fedora, which I perceive as a sane choice between “bleeding edge” distros and “stable” distros. Fedora is “leading edge”, but not “bleeding edge” as far as technology goes—it has the newest tech, like pipewire, without the need for bleeding edge maintenance. So far, I really like it! But it has made me realize how little closed source on linux considers any distro family other than the Debian family.
I haven't run into too many native Linux plugins that come as .deb files, but I mostly have purchased stuff from Mike at Overtone DSP and from U-he. Seems there was one file like that where I used Engrampa to un-archive it and hand copy the files myself.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:42 PM   #28
fabio77

Quote:
I've also thought about what would happen if the power grid were to fail. I could still play my acoustic drums, acoustic piano, and acoustic guitars while waiting for them to fix the grid.

Alternatively I could just setup my solar powered REAPER running on a Raspberry Pi4 system and not miss a beat.

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/05/img...205_812770.jpg
Yes, in this case I also have to rely on my acoustic guitars and we could sing, I guess.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:36 PM   #29
Glennbo

Quote:
Yes, in this case I also have to rely on my acoustic guitars and we could sing, I guess.
I used to have a violin, but I could never get the intonation right with my sausage fingers. I can play my mandolin just fine, and it's tuned the same, but it has frets.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:55 PM   #30
fabio77

Quote:
I used to have a violin, but I could never get the intonation right with my sausage fingers. I can play my mandolin just fine, and it's tuned the same, but it has frets.
That's a lot of instruments, you have. But let's hope the power grid remains stable
Old 07-02-2022, 07:56 PM   #31
Glennbo

Quote:
That's a lot of instruments, you have. But let's hope the power grid remains stable
While I did create an orchestral piece after looking at stuff though my telescope one night,

https://www.soundclick.com/music/son...ongID=13668404

I mostly compose rock and jazz stuff. That said, I understand the importance of having proper voices in the composition, which is how me, a professional drummer, ended up with so many stringed instruments. There are two newer ones not in this lineup.

https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....0&d=1596246186

Old 07-02-2022, 09:21 PM   #32
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
But it has made me realize how little closed source on linux considers any distro family other than the Debian family.
In your spare time maybe you could chronicle the differences in file paths and drive permissions between Fedora, Suse, Arch, Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, and any similarly weighted distros.

This could aid packagers, and those wanting/needing to manually install from archive contents. runbeerrun at kvr has kept up with installing Bitwig in Fedora, and might be a good resource.

In past times, I've used Fedora 5, 11, 19, 21, and 23, and some RedHat, with knowledge gleened from Studio Dave Philips, who might also be expert in vcvrack productivity. I turned off 'Security Linux', as back then, it wasn't very audio friendly. Or I was dumber than a bag of hammers...might not be an issue in these enlightened times.
Cheers
Old 07-03-2022, 10:28 AM   #33
krahosk

Back to the main topic, to the question "Why would you use Windows?". I woulnd't because of GAFAM aka Bigtech.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:43 AM   #34
fabio77

I'm still doing some video-editing- and rendering on windows, because didn't have the time yet to get use to linux alternatives, like avidemux or blender perhaps may be.

But I do my photo editing on gimp instead of doing it in photoshop
Old 07-03-2022, 04:33 PM   #35
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
I think this statement comes across as rather disrespectful to all the amazing work put in by developers who've spent so much time and effort to bring us Wine and Yabridge.
Apart from there not really being an adequate, consistent explanation or how-to document to help folks like me who are trying to move permanently from Windws &^ Mac to Linux.
In my case, I have a lot of time and money invested in certain crucial (to me) Windows plugins that do not appear to have a viable equivalent available in Linux yet.

I have been given explanations of how to use Wine but assumed that I needed to have WINE installed & working before I could use Yabridge.
I have used the most recent version of AV Linux & even though the curator`s instructions are pretty darn good, I still didnt find anything that adequately explained to me HOW to use/set up WINE or Yabridge. I`m sorry you found my comment disrespectful, but I was not sneering, just hoping to get an understandable explanation of how.
Old 07-03-2022, 04:56 PM   #36
Glennbo

Quote:
I have been given explanations of how to use Wine but assumed that I needed to have WINE installed & working before I could use Yabridge.
According to the second post in this thread,

https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=24174

Quote:
The current release of AV Linux comes with Wine-Staging and LinVST all set up already so no need to install Play on Linux or anything like that, in fact installing that may try to install a different version of Wine or something and screw up what's already there

There is detailed information about Wine and LinVST at your fingertips in the AV Linux User Manual found in your 'Accessories' menu. Your Wine folder is a hidden folder in your User's home folder called '.wine' if you can't see it hit Ctrl+H in the File Manager while you are in your home folder.

There is also a whole Youtube Video here explaining how to use LinVST in AV Linux MX Edition:
https://youtu.be/JME0E7ooP18

I'm sorry but I've written a User Manual and made explicit Videos about this stuff and people still start ripping stuff out and installing other stuff at the first sign of trouble... :?

When you download a Windows program with an .exe installer double clicking on it should launch it... beyond that the info in the Manual and the Video should explain what you need to do..
it sounds like you already have wine-staging installed. You should open a terminal window and type in "wine explorer" without the quotes. If WINE is installed, a cheezy looking Explorer window will come up. If that works, you can start installing your Windows plugins.

If you get a Windows plugin installed, you ought to just try LinVST since it looks like it may already be installed too. Look in your home folder for a folder with LinVst in the name. It's "LinVst-4.77-Debian-Bullseye" on my system, but might have a different name on yours.

If you have a LinVst folder, inside it will be a file for converting with the name "linvstconvert". If you double click it, a GUI window will come up, ask a couple of questions and then create the bridging needed for your Windows plugins.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:15 PM   #37
fabio77

Quote:
... just hoping to get an understandable explanation of how.
I have some links to Video-HowTo's and resources, that for me was very helpful.

Maybe you find your answers there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX84va5a1Fo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C45rLPAtRD8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG6ipmOyfw0
https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge
https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Archiv/KXStudio/

And I have wrote myself kind of summary for my next installation, because I had some problems with it myself.
It is very shorthand, just as a reminder, but here it is:

Code:
# ---------------------------
# Update our system
sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade -y

# Wine Installation
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key
sudo mv winehq.key /usr/share/keyrings/winehq-archive.key
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/dists/$(lsb_release -sc)/winehq-$(lsb_release -sc).sources
sudo mv winehq-$(lsb_release -sc).sources /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
sudo apt update
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-staging

# due to error: "mfc42.dll is missing" (z.B. sonible-Plugins)
sudo apt install winetricks
winetricks mfc42 

# sysctl.conf
/etc/sysctl.conf
vm.swappiness=10
fs.inotify.max_user_watches=524288

# Add the user to the audio group
sudo adduser $USER audio

#-------------------------
# Priority and MemoryLock 
#-------------------------
/etc/security/limits.conf
@username - rtprio 98
@username - memlock unlimited

# grub (the option [mitigations=off] could cause security issues from "Spectre, Meltdown")
sudo sed -i 's/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash threadirqs"/g' /etc/default/grub
sudo update-grub

# -------------------------------
# Install the latest low latency kernel
# -------------------------------
sudo apt install linux-lowlatency-hwe-20.04 -y

#--------------------------------
# CPU-Powersave-Performance-Check 
#--------------------------------
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

# Set to Performance
echo -n performance | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

# Set back to Powersave
echo -n powersave | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

# create deamon (not mecesserely required) ->
https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration#disabling_resource-intensive_daemons_services_and_processes

# Install kxstudio and cadence
# Cadence is a tool for managing audio connections to our hardware
# NOTE: Select "YES" when asked to enable realtime privileges
notify "Install kxstudio and cadence"
sudo apt-get install apt-transport-https gpgv -y
wget https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-debian/+archive/kxstudio/+files/kxstudio-repos_10.0.3_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i kxstudio-repos_10.0.3_all.deb
rm kxstudio-repos_10.0.3_all.deb
sudo apt update
sudo apt install cadence -y

#------------alternative (minimal?) Install --------

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:kxstudio-debian/kxstudio
sudo apt update
sudo apt install kxstudio-repos 
sudo apt uppate
sudo apt install cadence

### Jack-Einstellungen ###
ALSA-MIDI-Bridge - on
ALSA-PulseAudio-Bridge - on (?)

Frames - 48000
Sample-Buffer - 128
Latenz: ca. 2.5ms
DSP-Leer: ca. 2-5%
xruns: ca. 2-5 (Leer 0)

#---------yarbridge--------------------
Extract the contents to:
~/.local/share/yabridge/yabridgectl

add to end of .bashrc:
export PATH="$PATH:$HOME/.local/share/yabridge"

yabridgectl status|add|rm|list|sync

add for example:
yabridgectl add "$HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steinberg/VstPlugins"

then:
yabridgectl sync
yabridgectl status
Edit: I am running Ubuntu 20.04

But maybe you start an extra thread for this.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:49 PM   #38
michael diemer

Quote:
Apart from there not really being an adequate, consistent explanation or how-to document to help folks like me who are trying to move permanently from Windws &^ Mac to Linux.
In my case, I have a lot of time and money invested in certain crucial (to me) Windows plugins that do not appear to have a viable equivalent available in Linux yet.

I have used the most recent version of AV Linux & even though the curator`s instructions are pretty darn good, I still didnt find anything that adequately explained to me HOW to use/set up WINE or Yabridge. I`m sorry you found my comment disrespectful, but I was not sneering, just hoping to get an understandable explanation of how.
Don't give up. some people find the transition to Linux fairly easy, some do not. Last year I made a concerted effort to do it, and had to go back to Windows for awhile. But after several months, the desire took hold of me again. I was very motivated, because I'm through with windows., I was through when they came out with Windows 8. I still have W7 on my C drive, but I'd rather not use an outdated, insecure system. so I tried again at the end of January, and this time I made it. I'm happily cruising along now, and my music sounds as good or better as it did on Windows. and I'm doing orchestral music. Once you get over the hump and get wine, linvst/Yabridge working, you won't look back. You can definitely do this. I still frequently have to look at tutorials to do various Linux tasks, but I am getting better and better. I am so glad I made the switch. It is such a relief to be free of Big Tech.
Old 07-04-2022, 12:51 AM   #39
ivansc

Thank you all so much! I am feeling a lot more optimistic now. Part of my frustration was knowing that in theory I already had WINE installed on AV MX but could not find "how to use it".

Not sure how I missed that link, Glennbo - I am taking a day off after a hectic weekend gigging, so I will man up!

Odd, as I used Unix for years & have been doing fine with Linux apart from WINE! I think it`s probably because my brain has finally gotten too old and rigid to get into the nuts and bolts of how things work in Linux. I gave up on Windows beta for the same reason when 10 was first released.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:35 AM   #40
Glennbo

Quote:
Thank you all so much! I am feeling a lot more optimistic now. Part of my frustration was knowing that in theory I already had WINE installed on AV MX but could not find "how to use it".

Not sure how I missed that link, Glennbo - I am taking a day off after a hectic weekend gigging, so I will man up!

Odd, as I used Unix for years & have been doing fine with Linux apart from WINE! I think it`s probably because my brain has finally gotten too old and rigid to get into the nuts and bolts of how things work in Linux. I gave up on Windows beta for the same reason when 10 was first released.
If you watch the video they linked in that post, it gives a quick run down for getting WINE ready to use, and to run LinVST, although they are using Ardour instead of REAPER.

BTW, I'm currently using LinVST again because an update to Yabridge broke things on my system, and since I still had LinVST installed, I just switched back to it, rather than spend time chasing down what blew Yabridge up for me. I just want my stuff to work!