Old 08-25-2019, 04:15 PM   #1
tXShooter
Human being with feelings

Default Streaming without an internet?

Is there any proven method to stream audio from Reaper via a local intranet to web pages or anything else where a link could be used for listening?

I keep coming across things like ShoutCAST and IceCAST, and even OBS and other streamers, but they all require an internet account.

If there is something, can someone walk me through on how to set it up?

Many thanks!!
Old 08-26-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
tXShooter

Old 08-26-2019, 04:20 PM   #3
cstooch

I think you aren't getting responses because people are unclear and this opens the door for a lot of questions to understand what you mean. In the interest of helping you get someone to answer, I'll ask some questions...

By "web pages" do you mean an actual website on the internet, or are you talking about a web page that is hosted internally on your intranet? ex. a web page on corporate internet. Or do you mean a web site on the internet? The latter definitely isn't going to happen unless whoever runs your intranet redirects traffic on some port to your PC/stream. Either way its possible it would need intervention from whomever manages the network.

Why would you stream out of Reaper though? Is there something you're doing live in there you want to stream? Just trying to help get an understanding of what you need, as that might get you different answers. If not, I'd just render the audio to wav or mp3 and stream.

I haven't done this, but if you're just streaming between PCs over your network, I'd imagine you can probably just use your internal IP (ex. 192.168.something.something) and whatever port the stream uses and follow instructions here: https://www.howtogeek.com/118075/how...ork-using-vlc/

I don't know enough on the subject of streaming, but I'm just trying to pull some details out of you with these questions to help get a quicker answer for you. Mainly, are you trying to stream this TO the internet, or to PCs behind the same firewall / on the same intranet. Since you said you had no internet access, I'm going to have to figure there's no way you're getting this on the internet in any way though (so hopefully you're just looking to stream to other PCs on the same network).
cstooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:33 PM   #4
domzy

ReaStream will stream from one instance of Reaper to another, if that's any use?
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:47 PM   #5
tXShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstooch View Post
By "web pages" do you mean an actual website on the internet, or are you talking about a web page that is hosted internally on your intranet? ex. a web page on corporate internet. Or do you mean a web site on the internet? The latter definitely isn't going to happen unless whoever runs your intranet redirects traffic on some port to your PC/stream. Either way its possible it would need intervention from whomever manages the network.
By "web pages", I mean anything that can be opened on a smart phone within the LAN's wifi area... doesn't have to be a web page, just anything that can open and play the audio.

Quote:
Why would you stream out of Reaper though? Is there something you're doing live in there you want to stream? Just trying to help get an understanding of what you need, as that might get you different answers. If not, I'd just render the audio to wav or mp3 and stream.
This is for a live church service. We have nursery workers and other activities that are not in the main auditorium, and rather than running expensive speaker wire, installing amps, speakers, and volume controllers in all of the different areas, I was trying to utilize a much cheaper option... wifi.

Quote:
I haven't done this, but if you're just streaming between PCs over your network, I'd imagine you can probably just use your internal IP (ex. 192.168.something.something) and whatever port the stream uses and follow instructions here: https://www.howtogeek.com/118075/how...ork-using-vlc/
I will look into this, but so far my experience in trying to do anything live with VLC has met with dismal results.

Quote:
I don't know enough on the subject of streaming, but I'm just trying to pull some details out of you with these questions to help get a quicker answer for you. Mainly, are you trying to stream this TO the internet, or to PCs behind the same firewall / on the same intranet. Since you said you had no internet access, I'm going to have to figure there's no way you're getting this on the internet in any way though (so hopefully you're just looking to stream to other PCs on the same network).
I'm trying to stream the live audio from either the mixer console or from Reaper itself to smart devices behind the same firewall, but without going outside using a service which will also take up bandwidth from our youtube live stream (which eats up every bit of it just to stay active, and drops a lot!). I'm just trying to come up with a low latency option for those with hearing impairments as well as workers in other parts of our church.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:35 PM   #6
cstooch

Ahh, OK, that really helps a lot. This isn't something I've done personally, but I am quite certain it is doable. What I'd suggest trying to find out is just simply how to stream all audio from that computer across the network.

Actually, I did some quick googling on that subject and I found this great little open source app:
http://www.streamwhatyouhear.com

Literally, within 3 minutes or so, I had this app streaming (all) my PC audio over my LAN. I grabbed the link it produced and emailed that to myself, and opened the link on my cell phone, and on my laptop (both on the same network), and voila... sound over the LAN.

So in case you're confused by this... install it. Run it. It will go in your system tray. Right click that icon, pick Tools, HTTP Live Streaming. It gives you link. That's what you use on other devices on the same LAN. How you open it on the other devices is somewhat flexible. It is basically an MP3 stream, and can be opened in browsers and media players. I opened it in a browser on my laptop, and I opened it in VLC (media player app) on my cell phone. I am not sure how badly things will get out of sync between devices (if that's even a concern) or if there will be network dropouts at all. Both are probably fairly dependent on the quality of network there and how many people connect.

I think this should do it for you. Challenge 1 is really getting the sound playing on some sort of stream. Challenge 2 is making it easy enough for the average person to do. Being a church, I think you're going to have a wide variety of people there, and I'm going to fashion a guess that a LOT of un-technical people. So it needs to be easy. They'll need to connect to church WiFi, and you'll need to get them the link somehow, such as email. The link isn't very easy.

I think you can spoof an easier address for people to use, but I forget how you do something like that, but maybe someone else can suggest how (or Google). That might be something you'd have to do on the router. I don't know. I'll leave the idea here for someone else to wrap up. :P I'm thinking the answer is setting up a local DNS server (which likely isn't as hard as it sounds, but it's another thing I haven't done so I won't be guiding you through that part). I think you should be able to get the router to redirect traffic going to something easy for people to "surf" to, like http://churchaudio (for example) to your stream. ... I think. I could be wrong on that.. anyways, time for bed here. Good luck!

This all can be done though.

Last edited by cstooch; 08-28-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:28 AM   #7
tXShooter

Quote:
Ahh, OK, that really helps a lot. This isn't something I've done personally, but I am quite certain it is doable. What I'd suggest trying to find out is just simply how to stream all audio from that computer across the network.

Actually, I did some quick googling on that subject and I found this great little open source app:
http://www.streamwhatyouhear.com

Literally, within 3 minutes or so, I had this app streaming (all) my PC audio over my LAN. I grabbed the link it produced and emailed that to myself, and opened the link on my cell phone, and on my laptop (both on the same network), and voila... sound over the LAN.

So in case you're confused by this... install it. Run it. It will go in your system tray. Right click that icon, pick Tools, HTTP Live Streaming. It gives you link. That's what you use on other devices on the same LAN. How you open it on the other devices is somewhat flexible. It is basically an MP3 stream, and can be opened in browsers and media players. I opened it in a browser on my laptop, and I opened it in VLC (media player app) on my cell phone. I am not sure how badly things will get out of sync between devices (if that's even a concern) or if there will be network dropouts at all. Both are probably fairly dependent on the quality of network there and how many people connect.

I think this should do it for you. Challenge 1 is really getting the sound playing on some sort of stream. Challenge 2 is making it easy enough for the average person to do. Being a church, I think you're going to have a wide variety of people there, and I'm going to fashion a guess that a LOT of un-technical people. So it needs to be easy. They'll need to connect to church WiFi, and you'll need to get them the link somehow, such as email. The link isn't very easy.

I think you can spoof an easier address for people to use, but I forget how you do something like that, but maybe someone else can suggest how (or Google). That might be something you'd have to do on the router. I don't know. I'll leave the idea here for someone else to wrap up. :P I'm thinking the answer is setting up a local DNS server (which likely isn't as hard as it sounds, but it's another thing I haven't done so I won't be guiding you through that part). I think you should be able to get the router to redirect traffic going to something easy for people to "surf" to, like http://churchaudio (for example) to your stream. ... I think. I could be wrong on that.. anyways, time for bed here. Good luck!

This all can be done though.
That’s really helpful! Thank you!

Two quick questions:
1) What was your audio source? My Reaper is getting 32x inputs fed from the mixer board via a USB input. I’m not sure how to mix this as an output to the stream, or if it can be done that way.

2) Do you recall what your latency was? A few milliseconds? Or more than a few seconds? If more than a half a second, then this won’t be much use to our congregants in the auditorium as the delay would be confusing to them while they watch the Preacher and singers.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:33 AM   #8
cstooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tXShooter View Post
That’s really helpful! Thank you!

Two quick questions:
1) What was your audio source? My Reaper is getting 32x inputs fed from the mixer board via a USB input. I’m not sure how to mix this as an output to the stream, or if it can be done that way.

2) Do you recall what your latency was? A few milliseconds? Or more than a few seconds? If more than a half a second, then this won’t be much use to our congregants in the auditorium as the delay would be confusing to them while they watch the Preacher and singers.

Hmm, this might not work

Point #1.. actually I didn't try through Reaper. I just tried now, and I didn't get any audio from Reaper on the stream (in spite of my Windows audio device being the same one used in Reaper). If I do something like play an Mp3, through the same audio interface, it will play on the stream too.. just not what Reaper is doing. Maybe there is a setting in Reaper for that, but I don't know it well enough to tell you.

You might be able to do something like hokey route the audio out from your audio interface Reaper uses into another card in the PC and stream from that, but no idea if that would work. That would probably add even more latency though, which brings us to point 2...

Point #2: With just me connecting, it was anywhere from a half second to 2 second delay. I'd imagine that it'll vary a lot, especially with more people connecting, and I'm not so sure you can do much about that. At any rate, it would definitely be enough of a delay that it would throw people off, yes.

Maybe someone else has a better idea for you.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:54 AM   #9
superblonde.org

Quote:
Is there any proven method to stream audio from Reaper via a local intranet to web pages or anything else where a link could be used for listening?

I keep coming across things like ShoutCAST and IceCAST, and even OBS and other streamers, but they all require an internet account.

If there is something, can someone walk me through on how to set it up?

Many thanks!!

yeah that would be easy

1. change master routing in reaper to use multi-out audio for zero-latency software audio loopback (what, you dont have a mac? ok first step: buy a computer with real o/s)

2. set up recording-streaming session in VLC which Capture-inputs from the audio loop

3. set up VLC streaming output to broadcast RTP over network with SDP URL, with your chosen codec

4. provide everyone the URL for pasting into their web browser or into their own VLC app, or put the URL into a web page for others to click. (note; some browser security settings may block 'file-looking' URLs)

therefore any audio which is output by reaper is then encoded and sent over network, for listening by anyone who has 'joined the broadcast'.

5. profit $$$

if i did it more than once i'd probably use ffmpeg on command-line (if it can) because thats easier than clicking thru vlc's many layers to do the job

edit: now I remember that it is possible to setup a vlc command line to do the entire thing without using the gui. vlc's command line for this type of job is quite powerful.

Last edited by superblonde.org; 08-31-2019 at 08:13 PM.
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:57 AM   #10
superblonde.org

Quote:
This is for a live church service. ... in other parts of our church.
awwwww snap, well in retrospect, sorry to have helped.
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:58 PM   #11
hopi

swyh is pretty nice...

there is a lag over the internet but that is to be expected...

however neither it nor any other streaming I have tried will work with reaper IF reaper is using ASIO drivers....

maybe there is something that will do this and IF so, I'd like to know about it...
Old 09-02-2019, 11:51 AM   #12
tXShooter

Default Stream What You Hear - 7-10 Second Latency

I tried the SWYH, and while it did stream, the latency was about 7-10 seconds.

I'm looking into a Raspberry PI option now.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:14 PM   #13
hopi

you might look into AnyDesk

it will stream the audio to the 'other' computer[s] but not if you use ASIO... but with WASAPI drivers it works good...

the latency will partly depend on the speed of your network...