Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 09-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #1
yetanotherjosh
Human being with feelings

Default I added a beat-synced retrigger mode to the JS oscilloscope. Enjoy!

For EDM producers this is very useful for detailed work on your core kick/bass loop. Set it to "beat" retrigger mode and tweak your kick/bass in realtime, seeing very easily and precisely how they are interacting and overlapping. Without this beat sync retrigger, the process is much harder. Enjoy

https://gist.github.com/jwhiting/749...070e366053ce48

(Note this only syncs to 1/4 notes, and only works when the project is playing. It would not be too hard to make it configurable timing, but this was all I needed personally, and I'm not all that familiar with ReaperJS, so this was a bit of a stretch for me already. Please take it further on your own!)
yetanotherjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
vanhaze

Amazing , thx !
Would you be so kind to add this script to ReaPack plz ?

Warm Regards.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
X-Raym

Thanks for sharing !

Do you have any video demo to show ?
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #4
deeb

i am curious about this either. i never fined tuned kick and bass with oscilloscope. Is it a common pratice doing so? what info we're after using this method? sorry ignorance, i will try and search more info later.
Thank you!
deeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #5
yetanotherjosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Amazing , thx !
Would you be so kind to add this script to ReaPack plz ?

Warm Regards.
I actually didn't know about ReaPack until now. Have you added scrits to ReaPack? It was not immediately obvious how to do that... looks like ReaPack includes a bunch of default "repositories" (which appear to be various GitHub projects) and perhaps I should contribute it to one of those? Any suggestions? I'd like to share it more widely if it's not difficult.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:01 PM   #6
yetanotherjosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
i am curious about this either. i never fined tuned kick and bass with oscilloscope. Is it a common pratice doing so? what info we're after using this method? sorry ignorance, i will try and search more info later.
Thank you!
Here's an example of a producer using this technique to fine tune psytrance kick/bass sounds. It would work similarly for any EDM genre. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSzP2_AO0DQ

He is using a free oscilloscope plugin, but in order to retrigger it on the beat, he creates an artificial impulse in his audio that is the loudest peak in the signal and sets it to retrigger at that threshold. The downside there is that the impulse is very loud and audible. This oscilloscope modification I made is better, because it's silent and easy.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:45 AM   #7
X-Raym

It is a nice idea,

I think there is just one small problem with time selection loop,
the waveform seams to be offset somehow when it loops

Here is a kick sample (no FX, no envelope):
Old 09-13-2017, 01:56 AM   #8
X-Raym

@yetanotherjosh
If you don't plan to a lots of script which requires heavy maintenance,use this repo :

ReaTeam/JSFX: Community-maintained collection of JS effects for REAPER

Simply click on Create a new file and paste your code.

Read contribution guideline to be sure you named your file correctly hand that your script have the right script header.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:16 AM   #9
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherjosh View Post
Here's an example of a producer using this technique to fine tune psytrance kick/bass sounds. It would work similarly for any EDM genre. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSzP2_AO0DQ

He is using a free oscilloscope plugin, but in order to retrigger it on the beat, he creates an artificial impulse in his audio that is the loudest peak in the signal and sets it to retrigger at that threshold. The downside there is that the impulse is very loud and audible. This oscilloscope modification I made is better, because it's silent and easy.

very nice from you! interesting! i will try my self this technique
deeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #10
yetanotherjosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
the waveform seams to be offset somehow when it loops
Hm, I see - that is clearly a bug. However, I am unable to reproduce this problem. In my projects the waveform remains steady on the looparounds. To be honest fixing this is beyond my depth with ReaperJS, this was just a small effort to get the feature for myself. I can't really support the plugin long term or investigate bugs that are hard to reproduce. My apologies. But if you have some clue as how to fix it, let me know.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #11
okarowarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherjosh View Post
Hm, I see - that is clearly a bug. However, I am unable to reproduce this problem. In my projects the waveform remains steady on the looparounds. To be honest fixing this is beyond my depth with ReaperJS, this was just a small effort to get the feature for myself. I can't really support the plugin long term or investigate bugs that are hard to reproduce. My apologies. But if you have some clue as how to fix it, let me know.
Sorry for the necro, but he already said you could upload it to the reaper github for the community to maintain
okarowarrior is offline   Reply With Quote