Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #1
sowellca
Human being with feelings

Default Finding automation that are in a vsts presets already and in use

I loaded a *preset* in a soft synth that I like. It already has something mapped to the modulation wheel. If I want to edit/correct some of that modulation, how do I find which parameter is the modulation wheel? The parameters aren't labeled by which controller is assigned to the modulation wheel, but there are a ton of parameters in the "envelopes for track x" inside the "Track envelopes/automation, automation mode trim/read section for that track. Does anyone know a quicker way to track down which one is controlled by the modulation wheel on my keyboard without having to enable hundreds so that I can see which one is automated? Just changing any old parameter of course, won't work. I want to see which one the *preset* is using so I can correct/edit some automation that I want to change slightly. Also, I was wondering if there is a way to display *only* the automation that changes, or is in use. example: if the preset is already using the mod wheel on a parameter, could I make that particular one show and not the others since it is changing over time and other parameters are not? An answer to either of these would work, but it'd be nice to see all parameters being *used and changing over time* without viewing every automation parameter available, and having to go through each one to try to find the one I want. On a final note, I suppose it's too much to ask if modulation parameters could be viewed by which controller is controlling that parameter as not all parameters are mapped to a controller?
sowellca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:57 AM   #2
domzy

are you saying that you've assigned something to the modulation wheel and can't remember what it was? Or are you saying something is already assigned within the synth itself?
If it's the first you should be able to track it down via Param / Learn in the VST track FX window - it'll be the parameter ticked in the list.
If it's the second - you'll have to go into the edit parameters of the synth and see whats assigned to the modwheel.
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
mpl

ReaPack/mpl_List all MIDI OSC learn for current project.lua
ReaPack/mpl_List all MIDI OSC learn from focused fx.lua
ReaPack/mpl_LearnManager (background).lua
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #4
sowellca

" If it's the second - you'll have to go into the edit parameters of the synth and see whats assigned to the modwheel."

It is the second. The vst has the modwheel assigned to ...something... It seems you are saying that I will have to "enable" view on all parameters (of which there are maybe hundreds) to find the one the mod wheel is assigned to, or is there an easier way to track down which parameter the mod wheel is controlling? That was the goal of my original post... perhaps I wasn't concise enough. Anywho, thanks for answering!
Old 05-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #5
domzy

i was a little confused as you seemed to imply that looking at the parameter list of the VSTi in reaper would enable you to see what was assigned to the modwheel. If it's already been assigned in the VSTi you would have to navigate & find it in the actual VSTi. If you were to say which plugin it is you are using, someone maybe able to point you in the right direction.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #6
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowellca View Post
The vst has the modwheel assigned to ...something... It seems you are saying that I will have to "enable" view on all parameters (of which there are maybe hundreds) to find the one the mod wheel is assigned to, or is there an easier way to track down which parameter the mod wheel is controlling? That was the goal of my original post... perhaps I wasn't concise enough. Anywho, thanks for answering!
to clarify, i was not saying this - enabling envelope lanes for all parameters will not help, you'd need to see what was assigned in the VSTi, if it has not been assigned in reaper.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:07 AM   #7
sowellca

"you'd need to see what was assigned in the VSTi, if it has not been assigned in reaper"

That's the thing, I was wondering if there is a method to find which parameter is assigned to the modwheel. Or would I have to go thru enabling every parameter (then disable again after looking to see if the mod wheel alters the parameter I enabled or not) until I finally "stumbled across" the parameter it is assigned to. Such a tedious process when there can be be literally hundreds of parameters to search thru. I was hoping someone had a quicker method to find the right parameter. What method do you use? Thanks for replying!
Old 05-20-2018, 06:13 AM   #8
sowellca

Oh yes, the VSTi is called Hybrid v3.0.7. I was able to download it when it went free for a short time. It still might be free. It does have some very nice presets, some of which I'd like to use.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:21 AM   #9
domzy

No, as i said before, the parameter modulation functions in Reaper can't help you if the synth has something pre-assigned to the modwhweel. The easiest way is just to go into the synth edit window and look at the modwheel functions. Obviously this is different for different VSTIs.
Or maybe i am misunderstanding your issue, in which case apologies.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:25 AM   #10
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowellca View Post
Oh yes, the VSTi is called Hybrid v3.0.7. I was able to download it when it went free for a short time. It still might be free. It does have some very nice presets, some of which I'd like to use.
Sorry, didn't see this post before my last reply - i'm not familiar with this synth but it should be pretty easy to find out what's assigned to the modwheel, there should be some sort of edit window or something

EDIT - just checked out the manual and my uneducated guess is that a "Morph" is assigned to the modwheel - this seems like it gives the option for multiple parameter changes with one controller

Last edited by domzy; 05-20-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:27 AM   #11
sowellca

MPL, thank you for your reply/post. I found the scripts you mentioned. Ran them, but received some sort of error message ending with "null" I'm sorry, but I don't know how to troubleshoot scripts (have never written any code or scripts except very basic scripts...not for Reaper, just in general). Anyway, thank you.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:29 AM   #12
sowellca

Domzy, thank you. I will try to find it via the VSTi. Some VSTi's are so cryptic that it can become very difficult, but I have not tried that yet. Thank you!
Old 05-20-2018, 07:52 AM   #13
sowellca

I think I found the correct parameter, but I don't seem to be able to either edit or rewrite it even though it is armed and write is enabled. It acts as if the parameters that are active are the wrong parameters. Strange. I guess I'll need to re-record all these parts and try to get all the modulation the way I want it. It's just that the note/chord parts were near perfect, but the modulation was messed up and not how I wanted it. Thanks again.