Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
gtbouts
Human being with feelings

Default Low-end distortion in Reaper - looking for solution

I'm relatively new to Reaper (v5.80x64) I switched over from SONAR Platinum after Gibson discontinued it. I LOVE Reaper however, when I use low tones (bass, kick, etc.) I'm getting some 'snap, crackle, pop' that's barely audible in the mix stage but much more prevalent in the mastering stage.

To resolve similar issues in SONAR I would increase the ASIO setting until it fixed the problem. I tried increasing the ASIO value in REAPER (currently max'ed out @ 20148) but still the same problem.I also tested the same SYNTH bass/SYNTH note, volume, etc. in both Reaper and SONAR. REAPER = distortion, SONAR clean.

REAPER is much more user configurable so I'm wondering if there are other parameters I should check. For example, in REAPER Options -> Preferences -> Device there's a field 'Request block size' - does that refer to the ASIO setting of 2048 (or X) or is that another parameter. If so, what should it be and should I check the box to request it?
Any help would be appreciated - thank in advance.

Here's my system config: i7-7700 @ 3.60GHz, 16GB RAM, 64-Bit Win10 Pro.
gtbouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:00 AM   #2
Eliseat

So from my view this only can be a specific problem with your system. Your specs look good enough to run Reaper with lots and lots of tracks and fx. Reaper is known to be very cpu economical.

Could it be a bad win 10 update? I read recently that people got problems with that. But you say its only in the low end? Sounds weird to me. Could it be clipping somewhere in your fx chain?

Sorry, I have no idea why this would happen. At least you know it can't be the asio driver.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:16 AM   #3
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbouts View Post
Can you please post more details about your setup, like:

- What are you using as audio device?
- Which ASIO driver?
- What are your current sample rate settings (44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, etc.) used in both Reaper and Sonar?
- What's the Synth used for testing in this case?
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:38 AM   #4
gtbouts

Thanks for the reply - see responses below

- What are you using as audio device? - SONAR V-Studio 100

- Which ASIO driver? -
This is the VS-100 driver for Microsoft® Windows® 8/8.1.
This driver also supports ASIO(Steinberg Audio Stream I/O Interface).

- What are your current sample rate settings (44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, etc.) used in both Reaper and Sonar? Yes - sampling rates are the same in both set @ 44.1

- What's the Synth used for testing in this case? - For the test I user Air Tech 'Hybrid' Synth, however, it also happens with Arturia Analog Lab
Old 05-21-2018, 05:31 AM   #5
MikComposer

Quote:
I'm relatively new to Reaper (v5.80x64) I switched over from SONAR Platinum after Gibson discontinued it. I LOVE Reaper however, when I use low tones (bass, kick, etc.) I'm getting some 'snap, crackle, pop' that's barely audible in the mix stage but much more prevalent in the mastering stage.

To resolve similar issues in SONAR I would increase the ASIO setting until it fixed the problem. I tried increasing the ASIO value in REAPER (currently max'ed out @ 20148) but still the same problem.I also tested the same SYNTH bass/SYNTH note, volume, etc. in both Reaper and SONAR. REAPER = distortion, SONAR clean.

REAPER is much more user configurable so I'm wondering if there are other parameters I should check. For example, in REAPER Options -> Preferences -> Device there's a field 'Request block size' - does that refer to the ASIO setting of 2048 (or X) or is that another parameter. If so, what should it be and should I check the box to request it?
Any help would be appreciated - thank in advance.

Do you find that sub, low bass is distorting in your mix even thought nothing is clipping?
Old 05-21-2018, 05:47 AM   #6
Skijumptoes

First i'd export the mix to wav file then listen to it at low volume and see if it's actually within the mix or not.

If it isn't audible at mixdown then you know it's driver/asio/buffer related, as only happening in realtime when under load.

If it is in the mix, then something is wrong with your mix OR with your audio interface outputs/monitors - could be damaged cones, or gain too high etc. When mastering you're probably brining the noise level up to aggravate further than during mixing.

You can then rule the monitors/audio interface out by listening to that mix on another system (phone with headphones or something).

So doing that you can at least ascertain where the problem is coming from.
Skijumptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:20 AM   #7
gtbouts

Thanks for the responses.
To MikComposer - 'yes' it happens when there's no clipping.
To Skijumptoes - it's in the wav mixdown. It happens on my monitors (Yamaha HS80M) and my headphone (Beyerdynamic DT770). I do use a headphone amp (PreSonus HP4) b/c the V-Studio-100 does not have discrete vol controls for monitor/headphones (a major design flaw of the V-100).
I don't believe it's the monitors b/c I can A/B music online which is typically louder and it's clean BUT I listened mastered MP3 on a different system with BOSE speakers and it's clean.
So the problem follows the system not the song. I'll try swapping out the interface.
Thanks for the response and guidance.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:30 AM   #8
MikComposer

Quote:
To MikComposer - 'yes' it happens when there's no clipping.
Then same thing might be happening here.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:58 AM   #9
Skijumptoes

Quote:
I don't believe it's the monitors b/c I can A/B music online which is typically louder and it's clean BUT I listened mastered MP3 on a different system with BOSE speakers and it's clean.
So the problem follows the system not the song. I'll try swapping out the interface.
Sounds like a probable driver issue, or you have USB issues going on there, is the Audio Interface going via a hub? Obviously you want to be plugging that directly into your PC so don't go via a hub.

Also ensure all the drivers are up to date. And remember to bring your buffers back down after that, as setting them too high can sometimes cause issues.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:52 AM   #10
serr

Reaper has the ability to make a clean render even when the system would otherwise be maxing out with real time playback.

If I read right, you tested that theory by playing back a render and it was clean. You even pushed the point by reducing it to mp3 and listening with BLOSE speakers and it was still clean.

You mention only hearing the problem with bass frequencies though which does not follow the maxing out theory.

You mentioned upping the block size to 20148 samples.

Sometimes there is a top limit your interface will support. So try 512 or 1024 samples if you haven't.

The data point of having the same problem in a different DAW and curing it by increasing the block size leads to this being a maxing out situation. Or a driver/OS conflict that ends up with that effect even though the system should support 1000x the processing.

The data point of only hearing this on bass frequency content suggests a problem with the bass drivers in one or more of your monitor speakers.

So... try to eliminate one of those theories!

For the driver issue theory: Try controlling sample rate and block size of the interface from Reaper first. Then try control from your OS utility or a 3rd party app (if one comes with the interface).

For the speaker driver (or possibly connection issue in the cabling or in the speaker), try a different speaker on the same system.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #11
MikComposer

I confirm i have cracklings in the bottom end. I had that for years so far ( as mentioned in my other topic). Low end distorts even thought there is no clipping. In the past i thought it would be many things, including too much bass. But i hear music with even more bass, on my system, with no cracklings, so go figure. Definitely an issue. When I use low shelve in rea eq, and reduce everything from ~100hz at certain point the clicks go away.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:07 AM   #12
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
I confirm i have cracklings in the bottom end. I had that for years so far ( as mentioned in my other topic). Low end distorts even thought there is no clipping. In the past i thought it would be many things, including too much bass. But i hear music with even more bass, on my system, with no cracklings, so go figure. Definitely an issue. When I use low shelve in rea eq, and reduce everything from ~100hz at certain point the clicks go away.
Managing bass content in a mix can be tricky sometimes. There can be loads of sub bass content and at the same time the fundamental bass content you're after is still lacking. So you turn up the bass you want to hear and the sub content distorts the bejesus out of your speakers. Meanwhile you listen to a mix with stronger (but more managed) fundamental bass content that doesn't distort anything and wonder what the heck is going on.

Not saying this is what's happening to both of you but it's much less a wild theory than some mysterious bug in Reaper that only comes out with certain audio interfaces and/or operating systems and also only happens when the system is passing bass frequencies.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:08 AM   #13
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Managing bass content in a mix can be tricky sometimes. There can be loads of sub bass content and at the same time the fundamental bass content you're after is still lacking. So you turn up the bass you want to hear and the sub content distorts the bejesus out of your speakers. Meanwhile you listen to a mix with stronger (but more managed) fundamental bass content that doesn't distort anything and wonder what the heck is going on.

Not saying this is what's happening to both of you but it's much less a wild theory than some mysterious bug in Reaper that only comes out with certain audio interfaces and/or operating systems and also only happens when the system is passing bass frequencies.
Thanks for the lesson yo But nah, my bass here is even less then it should be on the analyzer. What i learned to expect from other daws, at worst it will just sound muffled, but not distorting.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #14
James HE

Quote:
it's in the wav mixdown. It happens on my monitors (Yamaha HS80M) and my headphone (Beyerdynamic DT770). I do use a headphone amp (PreSonus HP4) b/c the V-Studio-100 does not have discrete vol controls for monitor/headphones (a major design flaw of the V-100).
Thanks for the response and guidance.

Confused by your statement here - it's NOT on the mixdown then?

If you render .wav from REAPER and listen to the wav in another program, is there distortion?

Is there a possibility here that you are resampling on the fly? REAPER lets you have audio in different formats and samplerates on the timeline, some other DAWs do not.

The realtime resampling is often different than the non-realtime. do you have a little blue "i" icon on your items?
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #15
JamesPeters

Quote:
I confirm i have cracklings in the bottom end.
Have you tried other DAWs using the same settings, instruments, etc. recently to compare (on the same system set up the same way, same headphones/speakers)?

I had this problem once using Sonar. It drove me crazy. I "tried everything" to fix it in software (DAW and Windows) but was only able to mitigate the problem. The solution was to replace the audio cable going to/from the mixer and audio interface. It was intermittently crackling during certain low frequency peaks.

Anyway, since my best guess is that this is due to audio dropouts (if not something due to realtime resampling as James HE mentioned), a good step in troubleshooting is to check for buffer overruns/underruns.

View->Performance Meter

Right-click on the top half of the window and select the option "Display Xrun Counters" (That's an indication of audio buffer overrun/underrun).

Apparently Xruns aren't the only thing that can cause audio to "drop out" (lots of factors in your system can contribute, including other processes running) but it will be a good indicator of what's going on in Reaper with your audio device at least.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:49 AM   #16
The Byre

The problem is somewhere in the signal path and (TBH) is the reason why so many of us try to keep as much of the work analogue and out of the DAW, using a DAW for editing only.

One of the problems of all DAWs is poor metering and gain regulation and here Reaper is particularly guilty (monitoring gain!) The user sees a meter that is not going over 0dB and is happy - except that the user is fooling him/herself. The signal at that point of monitoring may be below 0dB, but within the FX path it may indeed be well over for a millisecond or two. This is particularly true for bass notes that easily can be EQ'ed to be in excess of the 0dB point and are only pulled back on the fader. It LOOKS OK but within the FX path is far from OK.

The partial answer (if you are working ITB) is to drop ALL you signals and keep at least 20dB away from zero.

There is a temptation, when we are liking what we hear, to push the signal - "I like that kick and bass note, bring it up a bit!" is the instinctive reaction to a nice sound. What we SHOULD be doing is saying "I like that kick and bass note, so bring everything else DOWN a bit and turn up the speakers!"

We all still think and act as if we are working in analogue and with analogue desks and reel-to-reel tape machines. The DAWs all act as if they are copies of analogue desks and machines. The time line is designed to look like tape and we have faders and knobs on the mixer part of the DAW, just as if they were real physical desks - but they are not!

In the days of analogue, we could go over 0dB, safe in the knowledge that distortion was gradual and mostly harmonic and until it became unbearable, we had at least 20dB of headroom. As long at the VU meter needles were not slammed up against their stop-pins, we were OK.

Now just one sample over 0dB and we have got a crackle. Several samples and we get random distortion of the worst kind.

And when we master that final product, those over-shoots are compressed, limited and normalised and therefore become painfully obvious.

Answer?

Well, until someone (Justin? Schwa?) comes up with a DAW that flags-up overshoots at every part of the signal path (or every part of the signal path and ALL FXs and 'hand-over' points are 32-bit floating point) the answer for TODAY is to pull every volume back by many dB points and crank up the speakers.

Either that, or the DAW should mute-out any signal that goes over -10dBFS.

You cannot blame Reaper, anymore than you can blame any other DAW. I have encountered this problem in each and every DAW, from PT to SoundScape, from Soundforge to Nuendo. The meter looks OK, the wave form on the timeline looks OK, but the signal path somewhere within the FX chain is over-shooting and distortion is the result.
The Byre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:24 AM   #17
Skijumptoes

Quote:
Thanks for the lesson yo But nah, my bass here is even less then it should be on the analyzer. What i learned to expect from other daws, at worst it will just sound muffled, but not distorting.
If you're not gain staging correctly you will still get distortion despite what the analyser shows you on the master. That's exactly how guitar distortion works, the signal is distorted THEN you adjust the levels. So you can have distorted guitar with no sign of clipping on the master. Hence why gain staging is so important.

Gain stage correctly with your faders set to 0, and mix the channels relatively like that. Because if you're cooking things before the fader and turn it down to compensate that's where you get caught out, and it won't show anywhere obvious. Could even be going through a send somewhere if your staging isn't correct.

There's no way Reaper is distorting it, when reaper brings that audio into a mix it's basic summing, i.e. 0's and 1's.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:37 AM   #18
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
If you're not gain staging correctly you will still get distortion despite what the analyser shows you on the master. That's exactly how guitar distortion works, the signal is distorted THEN you adjust the levels. So you can have distorted guitar with no sign of clipping on the master. Hence why gain staging is so important.

Gain stage correctly with your faders set to 0, and mix the channels relatively like that. Because if you're cooking things before the fader and turn it down to compensate that's where you get caught out, and it won't show anywhere obvious. Could even be going through a send somewhere if your staging isn't correct.

There's no way Reaper is distorting it, when reaper brings that audio into a mix it's basic summing, i.e. 0's and 1's.
Nothing is clipping.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:53 AM   #19
The Byre

Quote:
Nothing is clipping.
How do you know? The meters in a DAW only monitor the track output, not the gain or the FX signal path.

Please reread what I wrote above and what Skijumptoes wrote.
The Byre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:01 AM   #20
Reno.thestraws

Quote:
SONAR. REAPER = distortion, SONAR clean.
REAPER DEFAULT PAN LAW = 0db

SONAR DEFAULT PAN LAW = -4.5db

that means that if a signal to -6dbfs transits on a REAPER track, it will hit the DAC at -6dbfs .... If the same signal passes on a Sonar track, it will hit the DAC at -10.5dbfs. .. If your DAC is aligned to + 4dbu = -18dbfs, it can make a HUGE DIFFERENCE on the behavior of the analog part of the listening system DAC-> monitor amp -> speaker (headphone)

REAPER is a pretty hot DAW with its 0db PAN LAW. that's not a problem, but you have to know
Old 05-22-2018, 05:41 AM   #21
karbomusic

If running 32 bit float in Reaper, the signal can't clip ITB unless there is a plugin that can't handle it.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:13 AM   #22
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
Hence why gain staging is so important.
I'm a big fan of good gain habits no matter where but as I mentioned this is a misbehaving plugin issue etc. or bad decision with a plugin that is supposed to clip or some other oversight/mistake (barring the occasional exception). Make sure your glue settings are 32 bit float, boost the gain to +50 dB, glue it which invokes a render, turn the glued copy back down by 51dB, no clipping.

The reason for testing that way is you are testing both ITB clipping and proving even the file isn't actually clipped @+50 dBFS when rendering provided it's 32f. Furthermore, Reapers default internal processing is 64 bit. Of course, "not clipping" isn't the reason per se to gain stage properly, it's something you do organizationally which creates less work/guessing overall (good consistent habits get more work done more accurately), and to keep one's self from running into those exceptions.

Last edited by karbomusic; 05-22-2018 at 07:09 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #23
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
How do you know? The meters in a DAW only monitor the track output, not the gain or the FX signal path.

Please reread what I wrote above and what Skijumptoes wrote.
Because I only have vsti on a track and nothing else. There is nothing clipping in vsti, and volume of the tracks are roughly -12db, and master is also at around that.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:52 AM   #24
Skijumptoes

And (most importantly) fader is on 0?

I'd love to hear a short export of that track to see how the distortion sounds. Or if it's a VST i own, try it myself. What's the VST and are you running a preset?
Old 05-23-2018, 03:34 AM   #25
Reno.thestraws

Quote:
Because I only have vsti on a track and nothing else. There is nothing clipping in vsti, and volume of the tracks are roughly -12db, and master is also at around that.
if your master track is roughly at -12dbfs (RMS) that means that your your signal is roughly at +10dbu after the DAC (pretending that the DAC is aligned to -18dbfs = +4dbu = 0VU = 1.23V)

The Speaker amplifier is receiving a +10dbu signal instead of a recommended +4dbu

Not a bad thing but it can make an audible difference on low end.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #26
MikComposer

I've been only looking at peak in db, not in dbfs. No clipping.

Yes, set to 0.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #27
mccrabney

does the distortion render?

can you replicate this with ReaSynth in a project, and share it with us?

also, unrelated, what ended up being the issue with that quiet rendering problem you were experiencing?
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #28
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
does the distortion render?

can you replicate this with ReaSynth in a project, and share it with us?

also, unrelated, what ended up being the issue with that quiet rendering problem you were experiencing?
I can't share it, because it was for my client. I have shared it with Justin, and he rendered it and pointed out that his render sounded different than mine.

Here Reaper outputs sound at -24db here, even thought master peeks showing ~ -12db. Ik that because the same track sounds way way louder rendered as well as anything else I play not in reaper like wav or youtube. But when listening to rendered track its clipping, even thought render didn't show any clipping. Also, the bass is distorting in the mix thought nothing is clipping anywhere, there are no vst's other then single vsti per track, and regardless weather i use audio interface or not. I can track this issue to v4 running on my desktop. Right now I'm on laptop with v5. Problem exsists weather I use my audio interface or not. In Cubase and FL there is no problem. But Justin seams to genuinely be on this, so maybe sooner or later something will surface that will allow him to track this issue down and deal with it, or not.

Right now I can't do much cause I got to meet deadlines regarding composition. But when I have a moment, I will record with my audio digital recorder output of my speakers, when listening to playback from reaper and then from any player like vlc or win media player. Reasynth won't cut it i think.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #29
mccrabney

Quote:
Reasynth won't cut it i think.
ok, why? if this is an issue with REAPER's low end, it should be ample
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #30
Skijumptoes

Quote:
Justin seams to genuinely be on this, so maybe sooner or later something will surface that will allow him to track this issue down and deal with it, or not.
That's really good to hear, hope you get to the bottom of it.

I've tried my setup and it's clean, so if there is a bug, i'm thankful. I'm Running MacOS with a Focusrite Saffire, so quite run of the mill.

Which VSTi was it by the way? Possible that it's related to that one plugin, perhaps?
Old 05-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #31
ReaMike

Is this happening in projects with with time stretching or resampling occuring?
ReaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:45 AM   #32
bezusheist

Quote:
I've been only looking at peak in db, not in dbfs.
What does that mean ?

Last edited by bezusheist; 05-25-2018 at 01:56 AM.
bezusheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:54 AM   #33
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaMike View Post
Is this happening in projects with with time stretching or resampling occuring?
There shouldn't be any re-sampling occurring really, but maybe there is and that's a bug.