Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-22-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
shane
Human being with feelings

Default Autorender - Utility to render regions to separate audio files and tag

ATTN!

Autorender is now part of SWS Extensions. Please try out the new version and submit feature requests and bug reports to the SWS issue tracker.

To use:
1. File/Autorender/Edit Project Metadata, set your metadata, and then save.
2. Set your render options if you need to (run a dummy render and select your desired settings).
3. File/Autorender/Batch Render

The old AutoHotkey version is now discontinued and won't be maintained (but is still available at the old Google code site.

Last edited by shane; 02-02-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Update
shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
jakerock

Shane...
Just wanted to drop a line an say thanks again for this 'little miracle'... I used it the other night to cut up and export 10 live shows to mp3 for a fella to reference to choose songs for a live record... Pretty cool that when it comes time to render .wav's that everything is all set up already.

It works great, the only issues I had were when I had named a region and inadvertently hit the spacebar, or an odd character like a forward slash at the end... It rendered, but didnt rename the mp3, but now that I think of it, that is probably an issue with the tagger app that you included, not your AutoHotKeys App.

Oh... Not a big deal, but I commonly name files like this "=AUDIO FILES=" (with the equal signs on either end of the file name, so that they are sorted to the top of the window in Explorer...
The app doesnt like this and defaults to the root directory...
Like I said no big deal to make another directory somewhere and render them to there to move later, but interesting.

Thanks so much!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
zeke

Is there a way to autoname regions?
zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
Bevosss

Not sure if anyone saw this in the tool thread, so I'll post it here to keep it available:

Quote:

I made a macro for speeding up the regioning process for single items (ala rendered final mixes)...just put all your items onto one track, select the first item, and press Alt-9 (or whatever you want). It'll insert a region to that item and open up the edit box...name the region and hit enter, and it'll go to the next item to region, hit Alt-9 again etc. Saves me a bit of leg work anyway!
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
zeke

Damn...That macro was pretty close. I changed "Select and move to next item" to "next track", but that way i can't edit region names.

I wonder if it's possible to use Region ID as default region name. That way every marker would have a name automatically.
zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:32 AM   #6
shane

New version up with a few improvements:
Double clicking the autorender tray icon opens render directory
= character now allowed in filenames/user variables
Regions with trailing spaces or slashes now tagged
Old 01-12-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
jakerock

Thanks alot shane!
Old 01-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
fangbaby

Minor bug

If you have a . in your region name, the files don't get tagged, and they are named up to the first .

Thanks!
fangbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:24 PM   #9
shane

Fixed. Reaper actually lops off the any text following the last . of a filename if it doesn't match the render format's extension. Got around that by specifying the right extension.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
fangbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane View Post
Fixed. Reaper actually lops off the any text following the last . of a filename if it doesn't match the render format's extension. Got around that by specifying the right extension.
You are the awesome!

Note also that I had a problem with an old version of autorender that didn't work on my laptop for an unknown reason, but the new versions work just fine! Thanks to that, I can use the laptop for all my Reapering! So thanks again!
fangbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #11
frog_jr

Hey I've been working on a AHK script as a small adjunct to Shane's script. It is located at: http://homeofthegnome.net/AHK/markers2regions.zip
Includes the latest AHK script, as well as compiled executable.

The idea is like this:
I want to convert the top to the bottom pics:

I'm not a programmer and it's not professional scripting, or probably finished. But it has worked on a few files I've tested it with, and I killed a couple bugs last night. I'm hoping for some help testing it and optimizing it.

Cheers, frog

Last edited by frog_jr; 02-18-2008 at 01:33 AM. Reason: update
frog_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #12
frog_jr

OK, Shane has mentioned to me that using a & sign in the marker name screws up my program. Now fixed. But --

I've found that quotes and percent signs, " and %, in the marker name screw up the program, and otherwise have started my own thread so I don't barge in on Shane's too much.

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18238Cheers frog

Last edited by frog_jr; 02-17-2008 at 06:47 PM.
frog_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #13
shane

Update: added GUI for setting mp3 metadata/editing track names/output folder.

Note: Changes made in the GUI aren't saved for future uses (yet?)
Old 03-23-2008, 09:29 PM   #14
mrufino1

Default Thanks for writing this!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!!!!
This utility has just saved me so much time and pain I can't tell you- I record 3 hour live shows for my band and need to mix and post to ftp after every gig- now I don't have to go to my audio editor, re-highlight all of the regions (which no longer exist of course in the bounced file), then save those. I am so happy I can't tell you- this band goes right from one song to another so it is hard to find where each song starts and stops, and doing it in reaper then in my editor again was such a pain. Anyway, thanks again!
mrufino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:36 PM   #15
shane

Glad to know it's helped you out. If you have any suggestions, comments, or bug reports, please don't be shy.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:23 AM   #16
maifeng

Many thanks to shane and frog for these great tools!! They will be extremely useful when I'll do a series of semi-standardized interviews this summer. Now I can easily split the recordings into the single questions in no time!

Very much appreciated!!
maifeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:30 AM   #17
airon

Another person requested this again.

Come to think of it, this shit-hot tool is serious competition to Soundforge.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:36 AM   #18
Art Evans
Mortal

Forgotten about this one, must check it out.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #19
planetnine

Default wow

many thanks Shane and Frog for these utilities, they do 99% of everything I wanted, I can name the track markers as I place them, Frog's script emulates SF's "markers to regions" while Shanes app turns them into WAVs or mp3s. What a great workaround!

it'd be nice to get this incorporated into the REAPER render dialogue, but for now we're sorted...

the only feature request I can immediately think of from Shane is to incorporate a base filename (as an option) so that the region names can be kept short, and the output filenames can be made by appending the region name onto the base name (ie "live gig 26-Apr-08_" with "01_slow song" appended ="live gig 26-Apr-08_01_slow song")

-this gives us max descriptive filenames without unwieldy region names.

Thanks again guys...
planetnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #20
airon

I'm getting empty renders with 2.207pre3

Anyone else getting this too ? It's all going well, according to the log. The lengths are cool, the data is there, but the actual render produces nothing.

===edit===
It seems project offsets and/or frame timecode disrupts the tools function.

False alarm.

Last edited by airon; 05-21-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #21
Andorbal

I've been using Autorender for about a month now and it has been working great. Unfortunately, it no longer seems to be rendering correctly, and I'm getting the same results as airon was: All the files are created and seem to be the correct length, but they are all empty (meaning totally silent). I rendered a region manually using what look to be the same settings as what autorender is using and I get a correctly rendered file.

I'm using Reaper v2.301 and autorender v2.5. Like I said, I've been using autorender with no problems for a little while now. I know I upgraded to the latest version of reaper, but I don't remember if that was before or after the last time I used autorender.

Is there anything I should be looking for that could cause this problem?

Thanks!
Andorbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #22
airon

I changed the project offset to zero and changed the timeline to minutes and seconds. Bars and beats may work too. THat's all I tried and it worked.

To be honest though, I did not try to reproduce this behavior. A system restart may be in order too.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #23
Andorbal

Well, it looks like the problem was caused by the track files going offline when I switched tasks in Windows to the autorender folder so that I could run the script. I tried playing back the performance so that the tracks wouldn't go offline and that seemed to work.

What's strange is that I was going through the process exactly how I've done it before and this has never been a problem.

Either way, it's working now and even with the delay I *still* probably spent less time than if I had to render them all manually!
Andorbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:41 AM   #24
willmorton

Hi, first off - THANK YOU SO MUCH for this tool, I've bee playing with it in Reaper 2.4 and its brilliant, honestly it will make my work so much easier. However, I have one thing I can't seem to overcome - when I use Autorender I specify an output folder, but this seems to be overridden by the folder in the default render settings. Is there a way to override the default folder and filename in the Reaper render settings with the folder name specified in Autorender? I've tried hitting escape just before the rendering takes place and then deleting the folder & filename from the field in the render options, but it's not happy about this and continues to render to the default location with default filename (therefore each region rendered overwrites the previous one).

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #25
Andrew Cockburn

This miracle has been similarly useful to me!

This seems to be a new behavior for v2.4 of Reaper - it worked fine until I upgraded and I now see the same issue. This has been a godsend for me - no pressure, but I would love to see a fix
Andrew Cockburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #26
shane

New version 2.6 up that should fix this problem. Thanks for the bug reports, please let me know if any odd behavior persists...
Old 07-12-2008, 11:26 AM   #27
Andrew Cockburn

Ahh, yes, that fixed it! Thanks for the great turnaround Shane, and once again, thanks for this awesome utility
Andrew Cockburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:22 AM   #28
willmorton

Shane, thank you so much for fixing this! Cheers!

One small feature request - would it be possible to have an option in the Autorender.ini file to deactivate automatically prefixing the filenames numerically? So the output filenames are the exact same as the region names themselves?

Thanks!

Last edited by willmorton; 07-14-2008 at 04:03 AM.
willmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #29
tenkas

I have a little problem with auto-render.

I create regions around every parts I want to bounce. This is ok.

When I launch auto-render, it asks to save, I say ok and then when it starts auto-rendering, it renders all the files with the same name. Anyone else has that?

Edit: Seems that the auto render works the first time I use it in a project.

This happened : The file that was region 2 became the file TEST and the file that was region 1 became TEST_01 is that normal?

After, I tried creating a 3rd region and to re-auto-render but it did not work. Ended up with 2 files (overwrote my TEST and TEST_01) and these files were the identical (they were the 3rd region I just created).

Confusing...

Thanks

Last edited by tenkas; 07-15-2008 at 10:20 AM.
tenkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:14 PM   #30
tenkas

Sorry to all, I was using an old version (Probably found in the RESOURCES download page) It was version 2.0

The new version ROCKS!!!!!

Keep up the good work!

P.S. : Fun thing (already mentioned here) would be not to have anything else in the file name than what is written in the REGION name.

01 - song 1
02 - Song 2

would be

Song 1
Song 2

thanks!
tenkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:01 AM   #31
willmorton

Hi Shane, I don't suppose you've had chance to look at the auto-prefixing of filenames have you? Cheers!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #32
shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmorton View Post
Hi Shane, I don't suppose you've had chance to look at the auto-prefixing of filenames have you? Cheers!
Sorry, I didn't see this request the first time. New version up with a numberOutputFiles variable in the ini file, which is overridable by a project note variable of the same name. This option shows up in the GUI as well.

One word of caution: Sequentially numbering the output files ensured that each filename was unique. If you have two regions with the same name and render without track numbering, the latter will overwrite the former...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkas
Sorry to all, I was using an old version (Probably found in the RESOURCES download page)
My fault. I shouldn't leave old versions lying around...
Old 07-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #33
shane

Ok, version 3.0. w00t.

Changes:
  • Added optional filename prefix (in GUI or project notes variable filenamePrefix)
  • Handling temporary disabling of setting media items offline when Reaper loses focus (if needed) now actually works
  • Non unique region names that are not being sequentially numbered will have a number added to make them unique
  • Should now handle project offsets
Old 07-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #34
jakerock

Shane,
Thanks so much for your continued development of Autorender...
It is indispensable around here.

Best, J
Old 07-23-2008, 04:03 AM   #35
willmorton

Shane, thank you so much for this. It is working absolutely perfect for me here, and is helping my workflow no end. I deal with sometimes 300 regions at a time per file, and my last project I used over 80,000 regions in total so anything like this tool to make things slicker is just fantastic Thanks!
Old 07-27-2008, 05:22 AM   #36
earlabs

Shane
that is really nifty stuff! Works like a charm. One thing: I can't find the ftp part of the workflow....I may be a bit dim, though. I see a line in the readme.txt but nothing in the interface itself.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:08 PM   #37
shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlabs View Post
One thing: I can't find the ftp part of the workflow....
Yeah, the FTP functionality is still pretty minimal. To use it, put ftpSite, ftpUser, ftpPass, and ftpDir variables in your project notes field, like so:

ftpSite=yourftpsite.com
ftpUser=yourFtpUsername
ftpPass=yourFtpPassword
ftpDir=the/directory/toPut/theFiles/realtiveToRoot

If these are all present when Autorender runs, a checkbox that says "Upload files via FTP" should appear in the GUI. Check this to activate FTP upload.

The results of the upload will appear near the end of the Autorender log file, so you can check if it was successful.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #38
earlabs

A M A Z I N G ! ! !

I do online collab projects and this is just fantastic !!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #39
tspring

Download link is not working for me (connection reset).

Is it working for anyone else?

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #40
shane

Seems to be working from here. If you pm me your email I'll send you a copy...