Old 07-16-2019, 03:02 PM   #1
netphreak
Human being with feelings

Default OSC & wetdry

Let's say you have a ReaperOSC file with DEVICE_FX_PARAM_COUNT 48. If you have a VST with more than 48 fxparam's, wetdry is not received - because it's always listed *after* all other fxparam's! Some of my VST's have several hundred fxparam's, and I can't raise DEVICE_FX_PARAM_COUNT to let's say 500... It would take forever with 50+ tracks.

Why is such an important fxparam like wetdry last in line? Suggestions for workaround?

Last edited by netphreak; 07-16-2019 at 03:12 PM.
netphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:16 AM   #2
Gerrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by netphreak View Post
Let's say you have a ReaperOSC file with DEVICE_FX_PARAM_COUNT 48. If you have a VST with more than 48 fxparam's, wetdry is not received - because it's always listed *after* all other fxparam's! Some of my VST's have several hundred fxparam's, and I can't raise DEVICE_FX_PARAM_COUNT to let's say 500... It would take forever with 50+ tracks.

Why is such an important fxparam like wetdry last in line? Suggestions for workaround?
The wet/dry you mention is not part of the parameter set of the plugin but it's a Reaper parameter so it's appended to the FX parameters. I think this is how it should be, remember that most FX plugin already have their own 'mix' parameter. The Reaper FX wet/dry parameter is available as a separate addressable value but unfortunately this does not work.
You can switch FX parameter banks to get at the next 48, or get the previous bank and thus get to the end of the parameters. It depends on what you're trying to achieve, can you use smaller banks or do you really need to get a lot of paramaters at once?
Do you have a design for your controller with a list of requirements?
For my controller I decided on getting 48 parameters at once because this covers my needs and I'm of the opinion that FX plugins that have more parameters are of limited usefulness because the sheer number of parameters distracts from actually making music (or even just sound).
Gerrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:47 AM   #3
netphreak

I completely agree on the number of fxparam's, maybe 48 is even over the top...

My "complain" here is: why is not Reaper's parameteres listed before the plugin? I mean, there's only a few anyway...

Yes, looping banks until the names of fxparam's starts to display as "" is a possibility, but there's a lot of extra code just to ensure wet/dry is always available for every plugin.

My controller designs are not final, I need to get a grip on what OSC can offer, or if I have to mix in MIDI. Basic idea is a combination of two controllers - foot controller, and hand controller (foot switches to use while playing, and hand controller between songs).

Gerrit - you're a massive resource to this subforum Maybe I will be one day as well. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2019, 03:43 AM   #4
Gerrit

Quote:
I completely agree on the number of fxparam's, maybe 48 is even over the top...

My "complain" here is: why is not Reaper's parameteres listed before the plugin? I mean, there's only a few anyway...

Yes, looping banks until the names of fxparam's starts to display as "" is a possibility, but there's a lot of extra code just to ensure wet/dry is always available for every plugin.

My controller designs are not final, I need to get a grip on what OSC can offer, or if I have to mix in MIDI. Basic idea is a combination of two controllers - foot controller, and hand controller (foot switches to use while playing, and hand controller between songs).

Gerrit - you're a massive resource to this subforum Maybe I will be one day as well. Thanks!
Thanks, it's my hope that the usage of OSC can be promoted by building OSC controllers.

I like the order of the parameters as is, if anything the FX_WETDRY parameter should be made to work. It's in the config:
Code:
FX_WETDRY n/fx/wetdry n/fx/@/wetdry n/track/@/fx/@/wetdry
FX_WETDRY s/fx/wetdry/str s/fx/@/wetdry/str s/track/@/fx/@/wetdry/str
I tested this but the values are not sent and sending this parameter to Reaper has no effect. If this where to be fixed then you always have access to this parameter independent of the FX parameter count.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:19 AM   #5
netphreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrit View Post
... If this where to be fixed then you always have access to this parameter independent of the FX parameter count.
/fx/@/wetdry works fine here, after selecting a fx. Example:

Code:
/device/fx/select/2
/fx/2/wetdry f 0.5
But that's just half a victory...
This is not returned when selecting a FX or a track...
Old 07-17-2019, 05:31 AM   #6
Gerrit

Quote:
/fx/@/wetdry works fine here, after selecting a fx. Example:

Code:
/device/fx/select/2
/fx/2/wetdry f 0.5
But that's just half a victory...
This is not returned when selecting a FX or a track...
Hmm, I must have made mistake while testing, I'll have to look into this in more detail.