Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 12-03-2023, 02:18 PM   #3081
Schöpke
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
Which controller are you using? The original Mackie?
Yeah.

Quote:
Not sure if I understand this question, the parameter configuration is global, so the mapping appears on every track.
Yes, exactly, it is globally active. So when I switch between tracks having different libraries, I have to switch to the correct page on MCU as well. I'm doing orchestration here, so that's quite some libraries.

Quote:
Should be OK to open the configuration dialog for the controller and close it again. You can configure a keyboard command for the DrivenByMoss dialog for faster access.
I have all three in the menu already. So call and close would suffice. Otherwise, that's regular behavior of the MCU, then?
Sometimes it also gets stuck when I push buttons there, especially the Scrub button. Then I have to cold start it.

Quote:
Can you tell me what you did when this get logged?
Sorry, not exactly. It was a couple of dizzyingly long nights... I'll try and recreate it.

Quote:
You do not have to disable all devices. Only the ones you use with DrivenByMoss. If you use the keyboard via DrivenByMoss, MIDI is coming via the "Virtual MIDI Keyboard" input.
Maybe I should have told you the entire story then:
The MCU is connected to the mainboard via USB, that's it. So DbM points only to the Device MCU Pro 3.1, in and out, which is deactivated in MIDI devices.

The Keyboard is connected via MIDI 5-Pins, one each for in and out, to the Audio Interface, so it points to its driver in Reaper MIDI Devices, Babyface Midi Port 1. That of course has to be activated, and it does issue MIDI commands.

So far it's working. I can record the Keyboard, while the MCU shows the Parameters of the loaded VSTi, that's like 10 pages worth for Serum.

Only problem is that when I play the keyboard and operate the MCU at the same time, the keyboard eventually stops working, and I have to switch presets in Serum or even replace the insert with a new one to reactivate it. There sure has to be a monster in there still, and if you know a solution, I'd be glad to hear it.

Quote:
Didn't get this. You are not recording CC1 but it shows up on the track?!
Yeah, I'm so sorry. Before I decided to use the hardware, I built a global set of MIDI curves to send to all the other tracks via ReaMidiControl, one of which was CC1. I just had remembered it and tried to delete this question, but you had already answered. Now that I deactivated the CC1 automation curve of that track, it works. It is now restricted to sending MIDI commands.

6. Is there a possibility to call the configuration DB directly? Or have kind of a reset script that silently re-institutes the connection between MCU and Reaper?

Last edited by Schöpke; 12-04-2023 at 08:03 AM.
Schöpke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 02:03 AM   #3082
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schöpke View Post
1.Yes, exactly, it is globally active. So when I switch between tracks having different libraries, I have to switch to the correct page on MCU as well. I'm doing orchestration here, so that's quite some libraries.
Still not sure if I get it :-) Is the issue that it resets to the first page?

Quote:
4.Only problem is that when I play the keyboard and operate the MCU at the same time, the keyboard eventually stops working, and I have to switch presets in Serum or even replace the insert with a new one to reactivate it. There sure has to be a monster in there still, and if you know a solution, I'd be glad to hear it.
Hmm, that sounds bad. Also did not hear that a device freezes. Did you try a different USB port? Different cables?

Quote:
6. Is there a possibility to call the configuration DB directly? Or have kind of a reset script that silently re-institutes the connection between MCU and Reaper?
Noted.
moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 07:00 AM   #3083
Schöpke

Quote:
Still not sure if I get it :-) Is the issue that it resets to the first page?
No, it just stays where it's been. So when I work on a strings track with MSS on it and have set the bank/channel to my "MSS" Parameters page from DbM, then switch over to another track, I might have a piano there, right? Then I have to switch the parameters channel over to "Piano", too, manually.
My idea is that DbM could somehow "remember" which track has which Parameters page loaded. Each time I change the parameters page, it becomes the new default for that specific track. Further down the road, even a template could be possible that has the sampler, the instruments and the DbM settings page all prepared. Or maybe better, the parameters page could be associated with a certain library (maker).
Another idea is at least one step of hierarchy in the pages list. Thing is, there are likely going to be a lot of these parameter pages in my setups. The more there are, the more switching I have to do to find the right one. So instead of having to switch through everything, like
Piano 1
Piano 2
SSP 1
SSP 2
SSP 3
MSS Legato
MSS Shorts
MSS Pizzicato, CL
MSS Ostinato
there could be one folder for each of these groups, like
Pianos
Piano 1
Piano 2
SSP
SSP 1
SSP 2
SSP 3
MSS
MSS Legato
MSS Shorts
MSS Pizzicato, CL
MSS Ostinato
that I could choose from with the two Fader Banks buttons. From there I'd just only have to choose from e.g. "Legato", "Shorts", etc. by means of the two Channel buttons below. That would enable one to make really intense use of DbM.

Quote:
Hmm, that sounds bad. Also did not hear that a device freezes. Did you try a different USB port? Different cables?
I tried this again with another VSTi, now it's gone. Just works. I think this might have to do with the names of the Parameters. If a setting or page has characters like "/" in it, which are reserved by the OS, then problems arise.

Quote:
Noted.
You're the best!

Last edited by Schöpke; 12-05-2023 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2023, 01:20 AM   #3084
moss

Quote:
No, it just stays where it's been. So when I work on a strings track with MSS on it and have set the bank/channel to my "MSS" Parameters page from DbM, then switch over to another track, I might have a piano there, right? Then I have to switch the parameters channel over to "Piano", too, manually.
My idea is that DbM could somehow "remember" which track has which Parameters page loaded.
Ah, ok, that makes it clear. I am afraid that such information is not available (if you cannot configure it in the plugin itself).

Quote:
I tried this again with another VSTi, now it's gone. Just works. I think this might have to do with the names of the Parameters. If a setting or page has characters like "/" in it, which are reserved by the OS, then problems arise.
Interesting. Can you reproduce that?
Old 12-06-2023, 06:16 AM   #3085
Schöpke

Quote:
Ah, ok, that makes it clear. I am afraid that such information is not available (if you cannot configure it in the plugin itself).
Well, sure it is! This is just about storing and retrieving some string information, right? Now I can't find a "track comments" option for that, but one could e.g. use the comment functions in FX chains and items. Of course, I'm just talking prototypes here. For a seasoned programmer, there should exist way more sophisticated possibilities. Like a .ini file per project, for example, storing that information per track. Like so:
Code:
[TrackLib]
"Vln 1"="MSS Legato"
If the names of the track and/or the DbM parameter page get changed, DbM gets wind of it and updates the ini accordingly.
Or you could go all the way and store that information right into the .RPP file, cause that's where it belongs anyway. That would give you thorough access to all the project's internals, too.

You could make that hierarchy thing happen though, right?

Quote:
Interesting. Can you reproduce that?
I already did, by renaming all the parameters and settings to MCU-friendly 6-token strings without any questionable characters. Problem is gone for now. I don't know if this was the reason though.

Last edited by Schöpke; 12-06-2023 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:10 AM   #3086
MCJ

Default Crashes

Hello Jürgen,

I’ve worked with your amazing DrivenByMoss4Reaper for a long time without any issues, but lately it seems to crash Reaper on my system. Unfortunately I don’t exactly know what “lately” is. It could well be since Reaper 7, it could be since the latest DrivenByMoss.

Description of the problem.

I use DrivenByMoss4Reaper for communication between a MCU Pro and Reaper, the MCU Pro is connected via midi.

Starting a new project in Reaper is unproblematic, but in my latest projects somewhere along the line, touching anything on my MCU Pro crashes Reaper. Most of the time I don’t get a crash report, sometimes I do (I’ll attach the latest below).

Now the “somewhere along the line” part hints at a plugin problem rather than DrivenByMoss, however, when I disable DrivenByMoss and choose the native (Reaper) MCU “driver” I have no crashes at all. This is consistent: when using DrivenByMoss my projects crash, when using the native solution they don't.

What I’ve done to identify the problem:

- Loading my projects without plugins. All seems to work fine then. When I bring my plugins back online on a track by track basis, I can use the MCU pro for a while without any problems. Then somewhere along the line Reaper will crash again when I touch the MCU Pro.

— Disabling DrivenByMoss and use the native Reaper Mackie Control Universal “driver”. Reaper won’t crash at all.

- I also went back from DrivenByMoss 21.5.0 to 18.3.0 but that didn't help.

- I’ve double checked that the midi ports that the MCU Pro communicates on are ignored in the Midi devices window (they are).

I’m on MacOs 10.14.6, Reaper 7.06, DrivenByMoss4Reaper 21.5.0

Latest crash report:

Crashed Thread: 0 reaper Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Abort trap: 6
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x6
Terminating Process: REAPER [1583]

VM Regions Near 0:
-->
__TEXT 0000000106592000-0000000107353000 [ 13.8M] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/REAPER.app/Contents/MacOS/REAPER

Thread 0 Crashed:: reaper Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x00007fff6fbf221a mach_msg_trap + 10
1 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x00007fff6fbf2768 mach_msg + 60
2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff439cae0e __CFRunLoopServiceMachPort + 328
3 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff439ca37c __CFRunLoopRun + 1612
4 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff439c9ade CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 455
5 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff42c281ab RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 292
6 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff42c27ee5 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 603
7 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff42c27c76 _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 64
8 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff40fbfe89 _DPSNextEvent + 1135
9 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff40fbeb77 -[NSApplication(NSEvent) _nextEventMatchingEventMask:untilDate:inMode:deque ue:] + 1361
10 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff40fb8c94 -[NSApplication run] + 699
11 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff40fa81c0 NSApplicationMain + 777
12 com.cockos.reaper 0x0000000106593e34 start + 52

Many thanks,
Merlin.
MCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 05:49 AM   #3087
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJ View Post
Hello Jürgen,

I’ve worked with your amazing DrivenByMoss4Reaper for a long time without any issues, but lately it seems to crash Reaper on my system. Unfortunately I don’t exactly know what “lately” is. It could well be since Reaper 7, it could be since the latest DrivenByMoss.

Description of the problem.

I use DrivenByMoss4Reaper for communication between a MCU Pro and Reaper, the MCU Pro is connected via midi.

Starting a new project in Reaper is unproblematic, but in my latest projects somewhere along the line, touching anything on my MCU Pro crashes Reaper. Most of the time I don’t get a crash report, sometimes I do (I’ll attach the latest below).

Now the “somewhere along the line” part hints at a plugin problem rather than DrivenByMoss, however, when I disable DrivenByMoss and choose the native (Reaper) MCU “driver” I have no crashes at all. This is consistent: when using DrivenByMoss my projects crash, when using the native solution they don't.

What I’ve done to identify the problem:

- Loading my projects without plugins. All seems to work fine then. When I bring my plugins back online on a track by track basis, I can use the MCU pro for a while without any problems. Then somewhere along the line Reaper will crash again when I touch the MCU Pro.

— Disabling DrivenByMoss and use the native Reaper Mackie Control Universal “driver”. Reaper won’t crash at all.

- I also went back from DrivenByMoss 21.5.0 to 18.3.0 but that didn't help.

- I’ve double checked that the midi ports that the MCU Pro communicates on are ignored in the Midi devices window (they are).

I’m on MacOs 10.14.6, Reaper 7.06, DrivenByMoss4Reaper 21.5.0

Latest crash report:

Crashed Thread: 0 reaper Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Abort trap: 6
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x6
Terminating Process: REAPER [1583]

VM Regions Near 0:
-->
__TEXT 0000000106592000-0000000107353000 [ 13.8M] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/REAPER.app/Contents/MacOS/REAPER

0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x00007fff6fbf221a mach_msg_trap + 10
1 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x00007fff6fbf2768 mach_msg + 60
2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff439cae0e __CFRunLoopServiceMachPort + 328
3 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff439ca37c __CFRunLoopRun + 1612
4 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff439c9ade CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 455
5 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff42c281ab RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 292
6 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff42c27ee5 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 603
7 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff42c27c76 _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 64
8 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff40fbfe89 _DPSNextEvent + 1135
9 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff40fbeb77 -[NSApplication(NSEvent) _nextEventMatchingEventMask:untilDate:inMode:deque ue:] + 1361
10 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff40fb8c94 -[NSApplication run] + 699
11 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff40fa81c0 NSApplicationMain + 777
12 com.cockos.reaper 0x0000000106593e34 start + 52

Many thanks,
Merlin.
Try the following:
1) Locate the crashy plugin in the Reaper FX browser
2) Right click on it and select "Run as"
3) Select "Dedicated Process".

Hope this fixes it.
Old 12-07-2023, 07:09 AM   #3088
MCJ

Quote:
Try the following:
1) Locate the crashy plugin in the Reaper FX browser
2) Right click on it and select "Run as"
3) Select "Dedicated Process".

Hope this fixes it.
Thanks Jürgen,

So you think it's a plugin? I have no idea which plugin crashes upon touching the MCU Pro. Neither do I understand why that only would happen when DrivenByMoss is used.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:27 PM   #3089
Schöpke

Or you could try it with (a portable install of) Reaper 6.83.

I'm running that exact same setup -- Reaper<-->DbM<-->MCU Pro --, and it's rock solid: Switch off Reaper and/or the MCU in any sequence, then put them back on, meanwhile fire up a virtual machine and do some email, play a movie for good measure, (to push Reaper to the background and further stress the Audio Interface), switch back: They'll find each other without further ado -- even without restarting the DbM driver, as is necessary with USB.

Thanks for your mention of the MIDI cables to connect MCU to Audio Interface, I have done the same an hour ago, cause Mackie's USB is obviously s**te. I had to find that out the hard way.

Anyhow, right now I'm doing a stress test for Reaper 6 and the MCU, and it's looking good so far.

Last edited by Schöpke; 12-07-2023 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2023, 02:13 PM   #3090
MCJ

Quote:
Or you could try it with (a portable install of) Reaper 6.83.
Great idea, thanks! Will do that to see if Reaper 7 had a bad influence in this regard.
Old 12-07-2023, 04:09 PM   #3091
MCJ

I have a new crash report where DrivenByMoss is mentioned. Does this give any clues as to the relation of these crashes to DrivenByMoss?
Thanks.

0 libsystem_malloc.dylib 0x00007fff6e0c6630 nanov2_free_to_block + 230
1 libc++.1.dylib 0x00007fff6b1355a8 std::__1::ios_base::~ios_base() + 50
2 reaper_drivenbymoss.dylib 0x00000001141accc1 Send::CollectData(std::__1::basic_ostringstream<ch ar, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> >&, ReaProject*, MediaTrack*, int, std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> > const&, bool const&) + 2865
3 reaper_drivenbymoss.dylib 0x00000001141b0cde Track::CollectData(std::__1::basic_ostringstream<c har, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> >&, ReaProject*, MediaTrack*, int, bool const&, bool const&) + 9134
4 reaper_drivenbymoss.dylib 0x000000011418a2fc DataCollector::CollectTrackData(std::__1::basic_os tringstream<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> >&, ReaProject*, bool const&) + 428
5 reaper_drivenbymoss.dylib 0x00000001141882eb DataCollector::CollectData(bool const&, ActionProcessor&) + 635
6 reaper_drivenbymoss.dylib 0x0000000114198432 DrivenByMossSurface::Run() + 242
7 com.cockos.reaper 0x000000010a73bc9d CSurf_Run() + 1197
8 com.cockos.reaper 0x000000010a418455 runMiscTimers() + 5445
9 com.cockos.reaper 0x000000010a416992 Main_OnTimer(HWND__*, unsigned long) + 1730
10 com.cockos.reaper 0x000000010ab7c11c MainProc(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 2572
11 com.cockos.reaper 0x000000010a9a09f6 SwellDialogDefaultWindowProc(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 438
12 com.apple.Foundation 0x00007fff440ce1db __NSFireTimer + 80
13 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff41e3ad78 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_TIMER_CALLBACK_FUN CTION__ + 20
14 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff41e3a924 __CFRunLoopDoTimer + 851
15 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff41e3a46a __CFRunLoopDoTimers + 330
16 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff41e1b582 __CFRunLoopRun + 2130
17 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff41e1aade CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 455
18 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff410791ab RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 292
19 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff41078ee5 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 603
20 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fff41078c76 _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 64
21 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff3f410e89 _DPSNextEvent + 1135
22 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff3f40fb77 -[NSApplication(NSEvent) _nextEventMatchingEventMask:untilDate:inMode:deque ue:] + 1361
23 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff3f409c94 -[NSApplication run] + 699
24 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff3f3f91c0 NSApplicationMain + 777
25 com.cockos.reaper 0x000000010a326e34 start + 52
Old 12-10-2023, 08:19 AM   #3092
moss

Quote:
I have a new crash report where DrivenByMoss is mentioned. Does this give any clues as to the relation of these crashes to DrivenByMoss?
Thanks.

This clearly indicates an issue with memory handling. Unintialised variables or even a compiler optimisation error. I checked my code but couldn't spot anything wrong at this source position. Could also come from any other plugin, an extension or even Reaper itself. That's why I suggested to isolate plugins, sadly this can only be done for each plugin individually in Reaper.
Old 12-10-2023, 08:36 AM   #3093
MCJ

Quote:
This clearly indicates an issue with memory handling. Unintialised variables or even a compiler optimisation error. I checked my code but couldn't spot anything wrong at this source position. Could also come from any other plugin, an extension or even Reaper itself. That's why I suggested to isolate plugins, sadly this can only be done for each plugin individually in Reaper.
Thanks for checking!! I will test further to see if I can isolate the offending element.
Old 12-10-2023, 11:50 AM   #3094
moss

Quote:
Thanks for checking!! I will test further to see if I can isolate the offending element.
I might have found something but not sure if this can really cause it.
Old 12-10-2023, 12:45 PM   #3095
moss

DrivenByMoss 21.5.1 is online!

Get it from https://mossgrabers.de

Time for some bug fixes:
  • All devices
    • Fixed: Tracks could not be selected on some devices.
    • Fixed: Track parameter was empty when it's name was identical to the parameter on the previous track.
    • Fixed: If a plugin had a space in the filename or in the sub-folder it would not load (e.g. some JS plugins).
    • Fixed: Plugins which had the company name in parentheses '()' removed did not show up in the results list.
    • Fixed: Fix for C++ a memory issue (fingers crossed).
  • Electra One
    • Fixed: Session mode: clip recording could not be started.
  • Generic Flexi
    • Fixed: 'Device: Reset Parameter 1' command was missing.
    • Fixed: Could crash if no longer existing command was mapped.
  • Launchpad
    • Fixed: Project/track remote parameter pages did scroll by 8 instead of 1 page.
  • SL MkIII
    • Fixed: Parameter text values were not ASCII safe.

Enjoy!
Old 12-10-2023, 07:58 PM   #3096
simontass

Default Pan Control

Hi.. As usual. thanks for all you do :-)

In the last couple of versions the pan/parameter encoder is somewhat erratic and one "click" results in a large jump in value. (6dB or so). Is there someway to refine the encoder so it steps one increment at a time?

Cheers!

Simon

Last edited by simontass; 12-10-2023 at 11:09 PM.
simontass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 01:20 AM   #3097
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by simontass View Post
Hi.. As usual. thanks for all you do :-)

In the last couple of versions the pan/parameter encoder is somewhat erratic and one "click" results in a large jump in value. (6dB or so). Is there someway to refine the encoder so it steps one increment at a time?

Cheers!

Simon
Which controller?
Old 12-11-2023, 06:38 AM   #3098
simontass

Quote:
Which controller?
The rotary controller at the top of each channel. The one that adjusts pan, send levels etc.
Old 12-11-2023, 08:10 AM   #3099
simontass

Quote:
The rotary controller at the top of each channel. The one that adjusts pan, send levels etc.
Duh - Sorry, I realized I hadn’t told you that this is on an QCon Pro G2
Apologies!
Old 12-11-2023, 01:39 PM   #3100
moss

Quote:
Duh - Sorry, I realized I hadn’t told you that this is on an QCon Pro G2
Apologies!
There is a speed setting. Look at the very end of the settings for "Knob Sensitivity Default".
Old 12-11-2023, 02:16 PM   #3101
simontass

[QUOTE=moss;2741738]There is a speed setting. Look at the very end of the settings for "Knob Sensitivity Default".[/QUOTE

It was set at +100 for some reason. It’s back to “normal” now and all is fine.
Thanks again — you rock! 🙏
Old 12-13-2023, 11:55 AM   #3102
moss

DrivenByMoss 21.5.2 is online!

It finally fixes the issue which appeared on some Macos systems (sadly not on mine) that Reaper hang on startup while activating DrivenByMoss.

It seems that listing audio/MIDI devices is not thread safe on some Macos systems (or maybe related to the connected device drivers, who knows). As a workaround, the MIDI initialisation of DrivenByMoss is now delayed until the Reaper audio engine is up and running.

Many thanks to jvdw007 for intensive testing support tracking down the issue!

Enjoy!
Old 12-13-2023, 05:20 PM   #3103
jvdw007

Quote:
DrivenByMoss 21.5.2 is online!

It finally fixes the issue which appeared on some Macos systems (sadly not on mine) that Reaper hang on startup while activating DrivenByMoss.

It seems that listing audio/MIDI devices is not thread safe on some Macos systems (or maybe related to the connected device drivers, who knows). As a workaround, the MIDI initialisation of DrivenByMoss is now delayed until the Reaper audio engine is up and running.

Many thanks to jvdw007 for intensive testing support tracking down the issue!

Enjoy!
No, thank YOU sir, for making such a cool plugin!
jvdw007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 11:40 AM   #3104
MCJ

Quote:
DrivenByMoss 21.5.1 is online!
[*]Fixed: Fix for C++ a memory issue (fingers crossed).
Thanks for giving this a shot! Really appreciated.

I wish I could be more specific, but until so far I can’t. All I can report now is this:

* The updates didn’t help in my case.

* I went through different directions of putting offline plugins back online and regardless of the ones that are online already, the crashes only start to occur when there are a lot online. This seems to indicate that there isn’t a combination of DrivenByMoss and a specific plugin that causes a crash, but rather that it's DrivenByMoss + lot’s of plugins.

* I went back to Reaper 6.83, but to no avail (same issue).

* I see that Java sparingly leaves an error log in the Reaper recourses folder, sometimes in the folder of the Reaper project I’m working on, could this be relevant?

I’ll finish my heavy projects with Reaper’s native MCU driver and start with DrivenByMoss in new projects to see if I can get more specific.
Since I seem to be the only one with this issue, please don’t spend time on it. I’ll report again if I have more specific hunches.

Many thanks.
Old 12-16-2023, 02:17 PM   #3105
Bikestuff

Default Strange behaviour with transport and track buttons

Hi Moss,

I use dbmoss since almost 2 years and it's a great piece of software.
Since a couple of weeks, I've noticed that the solo button on the Akai MPC40 did not work. Pressing it did not toggle solo function.
LED is representing the state in a correct way, if I press the button in the reaper GUI.

So I updated all rlevant software to the latest version but then things got worse: beside solo button did still not work in latest version, the play/pause button does not work also now.
Pressing the "play" button brings reaper immediately in "pause" state and every further press on the button has no effect anymore.

Checking my MIDI settings for the AKAI in Reaper, all MIDI is disabled as recommended.
I've removed the Controller itsself in dbmoss an it was detected automativcally after a Reaper restart.

I've removed and added dbmoss from Reaper without any change of the problem.

I noticed that sometimes, the Akai configuration parameters in dbmoss were not saved after I've changed them.
E.g.: setting pause behaviour to "start from beginning" and closing the dialog, after opening configuration again, the value is set to "pause".

Can you give me a hint where to look next?
I have SWS software extension installed, could that cause a conflict?

Setup:
REAPER 7.07
DMMOSS 21.5.2
Akai MPC 40 MK2

Thx, Wolfgang
Bikestuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 03:07 AM   #3106
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikestuff View Post
Hi Moss,

I use dbmoss since almost 2 years and it's a great piece of software.
Since a couple of weeks, I've noticed that the solo button on the Akai MPC40 did not work. Pressing it did not toggle solo function.
LED is representing the state in a correct way, if I press the button in the reaper GUI.

So I updated all rlevant software to the latest version but then things got worse: beside solo button did still not work in latest version, the play/pause button does not work also now.
Pressing the "play" button brings reaper immediately in "pause" state and every further press on the button has no effect anymore.

Checking my MIDI settings for the AKAI in Reaper, all MIDI is disabled as recommended.
I've removed the Controller itsself in dbmoss an it was detected automativcally after a Reaper restart.

I've removed and added dbmoss from Reaper without any change of the problem.

I noticed that sometimes, the Akai configuration parameters in dbmoss were not saved after I've changed them.
E.g.: setting pause behaviour to "start from beginning" and closing the dialog, after opening configuration again, the value is set to "pause".

Can you give me a hint where to look next?
I have SWS software extension installed, could that cause a conflict?

Setup:
REAPER 7.07
DMMOSS 21.5.2
Akai MPC 40 MK2

Thx, Wolfgang
Did you check with a simple MIDI monitor if the button might be faulty?
Old 12-17-2023, 01:52 PM   #3107
Bikestuff

Hi Moss,

this was a very good hint that finally led to the solution: I saw that the solo button triggered nothing, while other buttons triggered MIDI notes. Same was the "record arm" button.

After pressing it very hard, suddenly a midi note was fired! So, it must have something to do with the electrical contact.

I then searched for "repair APC 40 buttons" and found a post that stated that the internal ribbon cables caused some kind of short circuit.

After opening the APC40 and isolating the ribbon cables, all worked like a charm.
(see dbmoss_2.jpg)
What I still don't understand: if I close and open Reaper again, the APC gets discovered 4 times (see dbmoss_1.jpg).
I can delete 3 of them but that repeats the next time I open reaper.
Any ideas?
Wolfgang
Attached Images
File Type: png dbmoss_1.PNG (23.0 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg dbmoss_2.jpg (228.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 12-18-2023, 01:31 AM   #3108
moss

Quote:
Hi Moss,

this was a very good hint that finally led to the solution: I saw that the solo button triggered nothing, while other buttons triggered MIDI notes. Same was the "record arm" button.

After pressing it very hard, suddenly a midi note was fired! So, it must have something to do with the electrical contact.

I then searched for "repair APC 40 buttons" and found a post that stated that the internal ribbon cables caused some kind of short circuit.

After opening the APC40 and isolating the ribbon cables, all worked like a charm.
(see dbmoss_2.jpg)
What I still don't understand: if I close and open Reaper again, the APC gets discovered 4 times (see dbmoss_1.jpg).
I can delete 3 of them but that repeats the next time I open reaper.
Any ideas?
Wolfgang
Great you could fix it!

Regarding the other issue, can only imagine that your settings are somehow screwed up. Try to delete them.
Old 12-18-2023, 05:31 AM   #3109
Bikestuff

Quote:
Great you could fix it!

Regarding the other issue, can only imagine that your settings are somehow screwed up. Try to delete them.
Is there kind of config file for dbmoos that can be shreddered :-)

W.
Old 12-18-2023, 11:32 AM   #3110
kjsiidorow

Default Not able to get the driver working

Hi Moss,
Amazing software, I appreciate your work! Unfortunately I have some trouble to get it working and I was hoping you might have a solution.

Attached you can find an image of the folder where my drivers are located. SWS and Reapack are working correctly. For some reason DrivenByMoss is not. They are in the same folder. /.config/REAPER/UserPlugins/. To me it looks like they are in the correct folder? If not, what are the other options for the folder?

What else might cause that it doesn't show on the list of the controllers?

SYSTEM:
AV Linux - MX Linux x86_64
Reaper 7.06

Let me know if you need more information.
Thanks for your support!
Attached Images
File Type: png folder.png (60.5 KB, 20 views)
kjsiidorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 01:42 PM   #3111
AndreiMir

Quote:
Great you could fix it!

Hi, is there any way to change the default key so that the major does not stand by default? ableton push 1
AndreiMir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 01:17 AM   #3112
moss

Quote:
Is there kind of config file for dbmoos that can be shreddered :-)

W.
Yes, just go up one level from the UserPlugins where you installed DrivenByMoss.
There are several DrivenByMoss4Reaper*.config which are safe to delete.
Old 12-19-2023, 01:20 AM   #3113
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsiidorow View Post
Hi Moss,
Amazing software, I appreciate your work! Unfortunately I have some trouble to get it working and I was hoping you might have a solution.

Attached you can find an image of the folder where my drivers are located. SWS and Reapack are working correctly. For some reason DrivenByMoss is not. They are in the same folder. /.config/REAPER/UserPlugins/. To me it looks like they are in the correct folder? If not, what are the other options for the folder?

What else might cause that it doesn't show on the list of the controllers?

SYSTEM:
AV Linux - MX Linux x86_64
Reaper 7.06

Let me know if you need more information.
Thanks for your support!
Folder looks good. So, it is not showing up when you try to add a controller? Do you see any errors? Try to start Reaper from the command line, maybe it outputs something.
Old 12-19-2023, 01:22 AM   #3114
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiMir View Post
Hi, is there any way to change the default key so that the major does not stand by default? ableton push 1
The project related settings (like the scale settings) are stored with the Reaper project. To set your default scale simply store it in a template.
Old 12-19-2023, 12:22 PM   #3115
Bikestuff

Quote:
Yes, just go up one level from the UserPlugins where you installed DrivenByMoss.
There are several DrivenByMoss4Reaper*.config which are safe to delete.
Hi Moss,

you've nailed it. Afte deleting the files and let dbmoss detect the controller again, all works now.

Thx and nice X-Mas

W.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:22 PM   #3116
fourdogslong

While playing around with DrivenbyMoss and my Push 2 I found that I can disable a track completely and it becomes greyed out.

Is there a way to access that feature directly from Reaper if I dont' use my Push 2?

Thanks for the script by the way, it works pretty well with my Push 2 and I like that I can set custom controls for plugins I use often!
fourdogslong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 03:01 AM   #3117
moss

Quote:
Hi Moss,

you've nailed it. Afte deleting the files and let dbmoss detect the controller again, all works now.

Thx and nice X-Mas

W.
Great!
Old 12-20-2023, 03:18 AM   #3118
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourdogslong View Post
While playing around with DrivenbyMoss and my Push 2 I found that I can disable a track completely and it becomes greyed out.

Is there a way to access that feature directly from Reaper if I dont' use my Push 2?

Thanks for the script by the way, it works pretty well with my Push 2 and I like that I can set custom controls for plugins I use often!
Right click on the track and choose "Lock track controls".
Old 12-20-2023, 06:07 AM   #3119
fourdogslong

Quote:
Right click on the track and choose "Lock track controls".
I was looking for make track inactive or something like that, thanks!
Old 12-20-2023, 08:07 PM   #3120
fourdogslong

On the Push 2 with drivenbymoss, is there a way to fine adjust settings?
I find that the most precise changes I can make is 0.3dB-0.4dB increments, is there a way to fine adjust in 0.1dB increments?