Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #41
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappazapper View Post
Yes, I totally agree... We should be able to do whatever we want as long as the project loads with the source files and no commercial plugs...
You can do mostly whatever you want, just don't glue which creates new audio source files. This used to be allowed and it caused way too much overhead from people not including the right files when submitting.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #42
MacFizz

And keep in mind that Reaper does a lot of processing without touching the source audio.
Cutting, adding fade-in and fade-out don't need the creation of new audiofiles...
MacFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:04 PM   #43
zappazapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFizz View Post
And keep in mind that Reaper does a lot of processing without touching the source audio.
Cutting, adding fade-in and fade-out don't need the creation of new audiofiles...
Yes... My normal workflow has been to freeze/render all this kind of stuff but because of this contest and because I just got a fast new (to me) laptop I figured I would see if I could do all the edits non-destructively... Works great so far and I think I'll work like this until it gives me problems...
zappazapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:05 PM   #44
kgarello

Except now you'll never commit
kgarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:18 PM   #45
zappazapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgarello View Post
Except now you'll never commit
Meh... It's just as easy to unfreeze as it is to freeze... And it's just as easy to commit to something that is still available to be modified as something that's frozen... If it's good, it's good... If it's not, then I'd like to be able to fix it...
Old 02-22-2018, 02:30 AM   #46
DaveKeehl

kgarello is correct. You can do all the edits you want (even though it's a mixing competition, not a remix contest) as long as you do not glue and produce new files.

This rule was added a few months after the first few instances of the contest because the size of the files I had to upload each month on the cloud was getting out of control and many users were encountering issues downloading them.

If every user created new files, I would need to buy some server space and I don't want that.

EDIT: yes karbo is correct... people kept not sending me all the files and their sessions were therefore unusable.

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 02-22-2018 at 10:19 AM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #47
zappazapper

Yes, I understand that the issue is file size and also to prevent people from cheating and using commercial plugins and just rendering the stems...

Theoretically, if the issue was only file size, the rule could be that if you do include additional audio, it has to be some acceptable quality mp3, since the quality of mp3s of a certain bitrate is arguably good enough for playback without the kind of processing that would raise the noise floor to an audible level...

But I get that the purpose of this "contest" is actually educational rather than competitive, and being able to delve into each others' routing approaches and fx settings is the point... Also, from my own perspective, being forced to use the ReaPlugs and JSFX stuff has led me to the conclusion that they really do stand up to any commercial plugin of similar types and I find myself using them more and more in non-contest situations, and it has renewed my interest in learning how to code JSFX plugins...

And to that end, I think prohibiting the kind of editing I did would be counter to the educational aims of this contest... I don't assume that I'm the only one that knows how to do that but I'm sure there must be some that don't, and if someone can learn something from what I did, then I think it's worth allowing it... I don't know if there's much to be learned from allowing actual overdubs, from an engineering perspective, so I think the rule as it exists serves the aims of the contest perfectly...
Old 02-22-2018, 04:18 PM   #48
DaveKeehl

There are still a few days left to vote! do it if you haven't!

also to everyone: arm yourself with pencil and paper because I want to see a lot of feedback from all of you
Old 02-22-2018, 08:03 PM   #49
Not_Here

I'll be voting, though I was unable to finish my mix (that's what I get for starting late...) I'm just not as fast (as I will be) yet. I've listened to all the entries and it encourages me to work hard and get in on the next round for sure!
I'm curious after voting to know how people decide when it's done.. I currently have Three versions of the mix. Each has its good and not so good qualities. I still gave it a go using the YOULEAN plugin. I'll have to get some advice next time to make sure I'm going about this correctly.

Can't wait for the next round!

Last edited by Not_Here; 02-22-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #50
jonboper

1 more question along the same line then: are spectral edits okay (as long as they aren't rendered)?
jonboper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #51
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
1 more question along the same line then: are spectral edits okay (as long as they aren't rendered)?
Ey-ya spectral edits should be fine-they are a part of reaper now--these mix comps are also to showcase reaper's capabilities-as much a user uses it also.
Show what can be done> to make these mixes shine brighter than before,or maybe,not... that's point of comp eh? =)
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #52
martinmadero

As I said earlier this month it has been a high level mix, which I am pleased to know we are listening to even level mixes, I adhere to Dave's and I want to read many feedbacks!
martinmadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:38 PM   #53
DaveKeehl

Aaaand the winner of the REAPER Contest - February 2018 edition is...

user cool! Well done! Go to the Cambridge website, choose a song and PM (forum, facebook, email, website, ...).

Updated analytics (click it)

Complete rankings:

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 02-28-2018 at 03:08 PM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #54
DaveKeehl

Now it's time for the feedbacks
Old 03-01-2018, 12:11 AM   #55
cool

Thank you! Thank you for organizing the contest, thank you guys who voted for my mix.
cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:53 AM   #56
Olli H

Thank you for this competition. Very well organised. For that reason I’m glad to give some feedback to everyone.

So, here’s my quick subjective comments to all contestants. Very quick listening, I checked mainly high energy point around 3:00. ALso soft part around 0:20. Don’t take too seriously. My opinions typically change often and very quickly.

Sorry that I refer to your mix by ID-number. I was too lazy to check your name, and it’s easier to give honest feedback to number than to name.

ID 2
Overall sound nice and balanced, but it lacks low end. Overall tone a little bit like coming through avatone speakers. (Reduced highs and lows.)

ID 3
Sounds great and full to me. In mono listening the kick maybe dominates too much

ID 4
Sounds very good to me. Maybe too much sub energy. Also the character of bass notes seems to alter a bit here and there.

ID 5
Too much low energy, top end too reduced. Probably a sign that your listening room/ monitoring lacks low end and is too bright. ALso in mono listening vox feels quite far, in stereo it sounds better.

ID 6
Pretty good to my ears, maybe a bit muddy or crowded in low mids. Different eq with bass might solve that issue. I like the full vox sound.

ID 7
Overall balances pretty good to my ears. Bass is probably too compressed and gives a bit suffocated groove. Vox has too strong compression. It brings up esses and f:s and t:s for example around 0:34.

ID 8
Sides don’t breathe, too middle dominated. For example around 3:00 when energy level is at top, guitars and horns are almost inaudible, but bass dominaiting too much in the middle. In mono listening sides disappear almost totally.

ID 9
I like it. But I might reduce bass a bit from low mids. Space is not coherent. Side guitars and horns are almost totally dry. Especially with horns I prefer a bit distance.

ID 10
Excellent and balanced to my ears

ID 11
Very bad distortion around 3:00. Probably an accident in mastering. Groove is too kick dominated.

ID 12
I like the bass/drums interaction, but otherwise too wet to my ears. Vox is almost honky, and lives in a different room than rest of the band.

ID 13
Sounds great to me. I like that dry full vox sound. Guitars and horns are maybe a bit timid if compared to bass and vox. Listen for example around 0:40.

ID 14
Sounds great to me. Cymbals are maybe a bit too loud around 3:00.
Olli H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:17 AM   #57
zappazapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli H View Post
ID 11
Very bad distortion around 3:00. Probably an accident in mastering. Groove is too kick dominated.
Ha...

I literally did this mix in a coffee shop with the earbuds from my cell phone... Try listening to it with Samsung Galaxy S6 earbuds, it sounds great!!

But ya, this contest made me want to set my gear back up properly and i even jerry rigged a redneck subwoofer so I get a bit better idea of how much bass I'm putting in there...

Anyway thanks for the feedback, I agree 100%
Old 03-01-2018, 11:36 AM   #58
kgarello

Nice Job everyone.

I'm a bit bummed out - took notes in the sws track notes and forgot to save...

Hopefully I'll get time to re-listen and comment.
kgarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #59
DaveKeehl

Thanks Olli for the feedback! really appreciated! I did my mix (ID: 4) I think in roughly 1 hour and a half during one of the livestreams me and Martin did on YouTube.

My feedbacks are coming either tomorrow or Saturday.

By the way, from now on days 1 to 4 of each Month will be entirely dedicated to sharing feedbacks. Last year most of the users disappeared after the results came out, even though the whole point of this contest is to be able to get something out of it. For this reason, the mixing phase will be shifted to the 5th.

Also, me and Martin are both going to mix each song each month live on YouTube in the 2 weeks dedicated to the mixing stage.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:02 PM   #60
zappazapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
Last year most of the users disappeared after the results came out
I think I'll wait until I turn in a mix that results in a better showing than 9th before I start commenting on other people's mixes maybe the point is that those that come in the top three should be telling us what we're doing wrong?
Old 03-01-2018, 10:11 PM   #61
Not_Here

Default :::biting nails:::::

I started late. I failed to get a mix done properly on time to turn in. That doesn't mean I didn't finish one (or three) on my own. The Last time I was mixing anything was back in early 90's on Cool Edit Pro, and some early Sonar.
Anyways, finding Reaper, the Forums, and specifically this contest has been an awesome last 8 weeks. I'm sharing my feedback, to learn how, to give feedback. I want to be able to be constructive in a way that others understand. I may not be up to speed on proper terms or syntax, but in everything is a positive attitude on my part.

I offer 2 of mixes to be picked apart by anybody that desires to do so. Truth be told, I'm kind of embarrassed to even share them with you all, but Jump in the deep end and you get used to the temp right away huh?
MIX 2 - tried to get the Loudness as per the LUFS requirements for the contest, and feel that I just muddied up my mix ( not sure what I did wrong) and made some mistakes at the last minute, probably from ear fatigue and thinking I could make it better.
Mix 1 is a mix I like better but I still had a problem with the toms and snare I think clipping a little during the loud part. But I TOTALLY like how I got the Snare playing that was played in between the beats. (paradiddles?)

Man I got A lot of questions! and a lot of Thank You's to everyone who submitted their mixes. I heard so many awesome ideas, I loved the panning and level choices and effects. It was interesting to see what everybody did similar, or, what was changed as a matter of each persons liking.

In all of my Feedback notes I noted my first thoughts as I was listening to each mix. I made brief notes. they may not be technical but I tried to be descriptive(?) enough to be understood. I'm actually nervous DARING to leave feedback at all because "I'm not worthy,I'm not worthy"! Feel free to school me.

I liked every single mix. It was a great opportunity for me to hear all these different versions and see what I may or may not have done that was similar to the others. It was Awesome! I can't wait to get to the next one.

ID1 - tight bottom nice little thump, nice overall ambience. panning of gtr and horns good voice sits well right in the middle. nice volume on the guitars during the lead section. no fade out?

ID2 good sound on bass, kick quiet or no power behind it. not bad though.. wished had more bottom LF.. Nice snare volume. nice guitar sounds. no fade out?

ID3 nice reverb right from the start. Soft sounding with nice bottom on bass and Kick. nice horn sound tight with a little reverb or delay? guitars nice and warm.

ID4 interesting bass gtr sound nice tone!, horns panned wide, nice drum sound overall. snare a little muted? IMHO Guitars have a distant quality - interesting...

ID5 Heavy reverb... bottom loud? snare quiet vs Bottom . kick is muted, lost in bass... Vox nice reverb/delay adds nice touch, too much at end of song

ID6 snare quiet, but nice rev, vox rev a little loud, good volume on vox, Overall nice mix. Everything sits well together. nice simple guitar and horns work well. too loud at end with noise and clapping,

ID7 SMooth all around, little less on the delay/verb during begining but good in last section, great guitar pan and volume, nice cymbal mix,tight bottom, drums sit well in the mix...

ID8 nice vocal reverb, nice & different bass tone, horns panned to outside different but works mid panned guitars.

ID9 nice and smooth horns and guitar all balanced nicely, voice mixed just right volume, Bass and kick mix well, Nice revb tail before solo section, would be a great live mix to see/hear in a small club. reverb tails could fade in just a little smoother?

ID10 Great bottom good snare. nice reverb on horns - smooths them out. vocals sound nice and up front, even not harsh. good levels on solo guitar parts. great tone on the snare.

ID11 sub harmonics on bottom good idea, but little high on the levels. Bass guitar gets a little burried here and there, distortion not right match for song? might be great in another genre. does give me great ideas to tear this song up in a crazy techno mix. makes me want to give it the NIN treatment

ID12 Big reverb sounds live, maybe down just a bit. Vox are really nice in the mix. guitars have nice balance sometimes vox got just a bit harsh - high freq with cymbals a little distored when horns hit at same time. . like the kicks and bass drums

ID13 smooth mix, good bottom on bass horns panned nicely. like the snare sound. toms well balanced. nice control of levels during loud section, like the guitar tones and little tail of delay at end of guitar solo
vox stay right up front the whole time nice and even.

ID14 bass gtr nice string sound, like the kick, HOrns sound nice and full. nice little bit of ambiance on the Vocal, nice bounce on the whole bottom end nice snare sound. really like the rhythm gtr sound/eq(?)
nice mix begining to end.

Last edited by Not_Here; 03-01-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:30 PM   #62
zappazapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
ID11 distortion not right match for song? might be great in another genre. does give me great ideas to tear this song up in a crazy techno mix. makes me want to give it the NIN treatment
ya, that's a personal taste thing... punk rock, and also i'm a big zappa fan so i like the juxtaposition of seemingly incompatible genres like that... it sounded to me like it went there dynamically when i first heard it, just that the parts weren't there... if i was producing the session i would have suggested doing overdubs and then accepted it if they said no and moved on, but a mix contest isn't really the same situation, it's as much about differentiating yourself from what everybody else is doing as anything else (of course you have to turn in a mix that doesn't destroy everybody's subwoofers )... keep in mind that i didn't have direct signals to reamp even if i was allowed to use 3rd party plugins or new audio... the sound i got wasn't really what i was thinking, it was just something that seemed to work the best to demonstrate the concept...

thanks for the feedback... also, you just convinced me that i should take the time to give feedback even though i don't feel i have the right to do so, because you're right, it's an educational endeavor as much as the actual mix is... when i get the time to do it, i'll include at least one of your mixes in my feedback...

thanks again...
Old 03-01-2018, 10:45 PM   #63
Not_Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappazapper View Post
ya, that's a personal taste thing... punk rock, and also i'm a big zappa fan so i like the juxtaposition of seemingly incompatible genres like that... it sounded to me like it went there dynamically when i first heard it, just that the parts weren't there... if i was producing the session i would have suggested doing overdubs and then accepted it if they said no and moved on, but a mix contest isn't really the same situation, it's as much about differentiating yourself from what everybody else is doing as anything else (of course you have to turn in a mix that doesn't destroy everybody's subwoofers )... keep in mind that i didn't have direct signals to reamp even if i was allowed to use 3rd party plugins or new audio... the sound i got wasn't really what i was thinking, it was just something that seemed to work the best to demonstrate the concept...

thanks for the feedback... also, you just convinced me that i should take the time to give feedback even though i don't feel i have the right to do so, because you're right, it's an educational endeavor as much as the actual mix is... when i get the time to do it, i'll include at least one of your mixes in my feedback...

thanks again...
Preaching to the choir when it comes to Zappa! It is all about being creative, and doing what we want, and if others enjoy it too, then all the better. I can totally dig where you were coming from. I'm thinking about Purple Haze by Zappa and how he had a something That didn't belong about every other note, yet still worked awesomely. hah ha !

Peace!
Old 03-02-2018, 12:59 AM   #64
MacFizz

Hey, here's my feedbacks.
I'd like to point out that those notes were made while listening to the mixes, on the fly, with earbuds, so I don't think it can be much more subjective than that.
Of course when listening to mixes of something you've mixed, you're "expecting" things at certain places. Difficulties you've encountered and that you solved (or not).
For me, many mixes sounded good but lots of them had something preventing me to vote for it: hard pan guitar solo !!! Really ?!
String/Fret noise on the bass guitar was also something I was expecting to be corrected or masked somehow.
Anyway, here it is and please, keep in mind that I didn't fair well here so my remarks could also be total nonsense.
1- Good drums.Distance Guitar/Trumpets ?!. Bass not so good. Solo left/right.
2- Cardboard drumkit. Not fan of voices verb. Guitar left/right. Solo left/right.
3- Full sound. Nice stereo. Solid drums.Solo left/right.
4- Full sound. Noisy bass. Solo left/right.
5- Full sound. A little too much reverb. Trumpets a little back.
6- Overcompressed snare drum. Clean bass.
7- voice a bit overcompressed and harsh. Lots of verb on right guitar. Bad balance left/right between guitars.
8 – Full sound. Balanced. Nice solo management. (yep, apparently that's mine...)
9 – Guitar way back.
10 – Nice open sound. Nice solo management.
11- too much verb. Boomy kick drum. Voice needs de-essing.
12 - too much verb.Voice needs de-essing.
13 – Solid sound. Guitars a bit low.
14 – Open sound. Overall balanced. Bass a bit noisy.

I would be interested to know ho much time everybody put in their mix. I took approximatly 3X1 hour and I felt I wasted a lot of time dealing with unimportant details, how about you all ?
MacFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:14 AM   #65
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli H View Post
ID 14
Sounds great to me. Cymbals are maybe a bit too loud around 3:00.
Quote:
ID14 bass gtr nice string sound, like the kick, HOrns sound nice and full. nice little bit of ambiance on the Vocal, nice bounce on the whole bottom end nice snare sound. really like the rhythm gtr sound/eq(?)
nice mix begining to end.
Quote:
14 – Open sound. Overall balanced. Bass a bit noisy.
Thank you! I'll post my project so that you can study it, if you want, of course.
More often I used a minimum of processing, and main three tools:
1. Gates and editing to reduce the overall noise, because it is a live recording with simultaneous perfomance of all parts and the inevitable bleeding across the microphones.
2. ReaFir - during mixing, I discovered this magical instrument that saved the whole mix. In the compression mode, it can limit the selected frequency range, so that on many tracks I could safely get rid of the leakage of cymbals and "poisonous" 3-5 kHz, without losing the overall brightness and clarity. This is truly a magical instrument!
3. A lot of automation. I used it instead of compression, otherwise narrowing the dynamic range would make the mix even more noisy.

Quote:
I would be interested to know ho much time everybody put in their mix. I took approximatly 3X1 hour and I felt I wasted a lot of time dealing with unimportant details, how about you all ?
It is difficult for me to calculate the exact time. I practiced mixing in my free time, a few days. Supposedly, I spent 3-6 hours. The main work was done in the first 2-3 hours, and the rest of the time I spent on automation and fixing small things. Perhaps not important.

Last edited by cool; 11-22-2023 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:14 AM   #66
DaveKeehl

After 1 hour and a half or 2 I was getting bored so I printed it xD
Old 03-03-2018, 05:54 AM   #67
Olli H

Quote:
I had mixed this song before with my typical plugin set. (To Cambrige Forum) Then it took probably 5-8 hours. I’m a slow mixer.

For this competition I just tried to recreate every track with Reaper-plugins. So I wasn’t thinking artistically in this project. It took about 3 hours to find a suitable Reaper substitute for each plugin I had used previously. But for next competition it won't take that long.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:08 PM   #68
martinmadero

Welcome to all the new users that made this contest grow day by day.
And congratulations to everyone for the level!
I leave my comments / comments / suggestions, I hope they are well received!

ID1: The levels sound correct. In my opinion the guitar pans are correct, maybe a little less room and reverb in general and centering the equalization more towards the center-high would have given a little more general clarity. In any case, it is a correct mix.

ID2: The drums have a separation in stereo that takes away body, as well as the sound in general, mainly the snare, those two things leave the other instruments much like the guitars and the horns.

ID3: It's pretty good in general lines. You hear everything clearly. The voice is a bit high in relation to everything else, and the right panning guitar (rhythm) too. They are heard in comparison when there is the part of the solo, which would have been better differentiated at the beginning by panning on the center.

ID4: good low-end. correct levels. panning of the correct drums. the guitars are too panning and they give a separation effect that although it is correct, in relation to the voice, in my opinion, makes that the latter is a little below the mix, the same with the horns, separated also.

ID5: this mix lacks the mid-bass and the drums are left behind along with the bass which causes the song to lose strength overall. the voice has an interesting reverb effect.

ID6: the volumes are correct, the equalization tends to a medium-high high range, compression is noted in many of the tracks and in the master too.

ID7: the mix generally sounds like a media effect with compression, and the drums and bass levels are a bit lower in relation to the rest of the mix. the voice is correct. Maybe less compression in the levels and the tracks would have given the mix a little more freshness at general levels.

ID8: with this mix the voice in particular happens to me, I feel it a little low in relation to the rest, the same the guitars, and the winds, especially the latter as if they had been overcompressed in certain parts, except in the beginning and final.

ID9: the levels are correct, except for the drums that feel a bit below the other instruments, the widely separated winds and the voice in my opinion should go a little higher and with a little less reverb in some parts. the guitars in certain parts for example the solo, they are heard very low, highlighting the bass. This may have been deliberate.

ID10: the levels are correct, the battery rooms stand out. is very good, except that in my opinion it would be missing a little more general adjustment, perhaps to center a little more the panning of the mix so that the instruments sound a bit more in front and that would give a little more strength to the mix in general.

ID11: a lot of compression and low-ends. some serious parts distort. excessive use of reverb in many of the instruments, make it generally lose clarity. the complementary effects are subjective, in any case with a solid base at the sound level they would have stood out much more.

ID12: the bass is a little below the rest. the guitars with a little less reverb, the same as the voice, would have adjusted perhaps the mix. the winds would also look good with something less than reverb.

ID13: sounds correct at a general level. It was one of those voted for me. compared with the ID14 the first positions are taken, the voice is very clear and very clean, and the instruments in general are well balanced. very good.

ID14: together with ID13 for my taste the best too. the sound in general is accessible to the ear, the levels are correct and the EQ in general is present, it does not present distortions or excessive compression that could compromise the overall level of the mix. the part of the solo is clearly heard and the clean guitars, although they have a bit of reverb, is nice. the voice is also heard well the same as the horns. I would only raise the level of the voice a little, maybe to + 1db. otherwise very good mix.

Some loudness analysis:
Old 03-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #69
DaveKeehl

Hey Martin about the picture you posted... really weird... I used it to normalise all the entries to -14 integrated
Old 03-05-2018, 04:31 AM   #70
Olli H

Weird thing that loudness analysis.
I made the same loudness analysis to 14 files before I listend anything. Then it said -15 LUFS integrated. Now I made the test again, and now it says either -14.8 LUFS or -14.9 LUFS.
Attached Images
File Type: png Näyttökuva 2018-3-5 kello 13.30.36.png (26.5 KB, 73 views)
Old 03-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #71
martinmadero

after analyzing again, it most going all to -15 LUFS
Old 03-06-2018, 02:09 AM   #72
DaveKeehl

I hope it's not broken because I use it a lot...
Old 03-06-2018, 09:26 PM   #73
Not_Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool View Post
Thank you! I'll post my project so that you can study it, if you want, of course.
More often I used a minimum of processing, and main three tools:
1. Gates and editing to reduce the overall noise, because it is a live recording with simultaneous perfomance of all parts and the inevitable bleeding across the microphones.
2. ReaFir - during mixing, I discovered this magical instrument that saved the whole mix. In the compression mode, it can limit the selected frequency range, so that on many tracks I could safely get rid of the leakage of cymbals and "poisonous" 3-5 kHz, without losing the overall brightness and clarity. This is truly a magical instrument!
3. A lot of automation. I used it instead of compression, otherwise narrowing the dynamic range would make the mix even more noisy.

It is difficult for me to calculate the exact time. I practiced mixing in my free time, a few days. Supposedly, I spent 3-6 hours. The main work was done in the first 2-3 hours, and the rest of the time I spent on automation and fixing small things. Perhaps not important.
Thank you very much for posting the .rpp file... So helpful to be able to "see" item by item. What a great learning tool for me to have access to. It took me a few tries to get it to load up properly, but in that process I've also learned too.

Information like this is invaluable and greatly appreciated. Were we in the same town the Beers would be on me!

Off to go through this session with a fine toothed comb!

EDIT: Really like the way you organized the session using folders (folders in folders too) to create Sub mixes . Nice and neat to look through once I understood.
The high hat track... it all makes total sense, I need to just forget what I thought I knew and start again.. eq + FFT Eq set to comp.... That is a tool I will surely find useful.

SO if I'm understanding the gates, you're using them essentially as a noise gate, (as we were not able to add any other media tracks to the session) but this is where I could theoretically trigger a sample via midi ? very interesting indeed....

Your mix style is economic as well as clean. Kind of a "less is more" type approach.

Peace

Last edited by Not_Here; 03-06-2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:00 PM   #74
cool

Quote:
SO if I'm understanding the gates, you're using them essentially as a noise gate, (as we were not able to add any other media tracks to the session) but this is where I could theoretically trigger a sample via midi ? very interesting indeed....
Yes exactly. The only reason I used this method is the restrictions in the rules of the contest. With triggers or converting to midi, the work would be easier.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:02 PM   #75
DaveKeehl

There is now an archive available on the website with every multitrack we've mixed from the first month up!

ARCHIVE
Old 03-14-2018, 05:31 AM   #76
jonboper

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinmadero View Post
after analyzing again, it most going all to -15 LUFS
For this month's challenge, a question. If we're supposed to be shooting for -14 LUFS per contest rules, why was everyone at -15 last month?
jonboper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #77
DaveKeehl

aim to -14 lufs, not -15. There is probably something wrong with the loudness too and nobody still figured out what it is.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:31 AM   #78
DaveKeehl

by the way, now on the archive there is also a "download all" button
Old 03-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #79
Not_Here

And there was much rejoicing......
Old 03-14-2018, 04:57 PM   #80
DaveKeehl

Quote: