Old 01-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #1
toleolu
Human being with feelings

Default MT Drum Kit Grooves On Separate Tracks

Is there a way I can take the drums and cymbals in an MT Drum Track groove and place them on separate tracks?

I can take a groove, place it on multiple tracks and then delete the items I don't want on each track, but I was hoping there was a better way to do it.

Mahalo
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:42 PM   #2
drichard

When first add the MT Power Drum VI I'm asked if I want to set it up for 16 outputs. Say yes. Then go into the mixer and assign the outputs for each drum you want routed to a different output than the Main. It's pretty much the same as with any drum VI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
Is there a way I can take the drums and cymbals in an MT Drum Track groove and place them on separate tracks?

I can take a groove, place it on multiple tracks and then delete the items I don't want on each track, but I was hoping there was a better way to do it.

Mahalo
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:19 PM   #3
toleolu

Thanks, and yes, I get that, I can do the multiple tracks for effects, volume, panning etc. but what I was hoping for was that the midi info itself (terminology is probably wrong, sorry about that) for each drum and cymbal would appear on separate tracks. Just thought that might make it easier to edit the midi rather than trying to edit on the track with all the different drums and cymbals.

Am I making this more difficult than it needs to be?

Mahalo
Old 01-14-2019, 12:32 AM   #4
Tobbe

Quote:
Thanks, and yes, I get that, I can do the multiple tracks for effects, volume, panning etc. but what I was hoping for was that the midi info itself (terminology is probably wrong, sorry about that) for each drum and cymbal would appear on separate tracks. Just thought that might make it easier to edit the midi rather than trying to edit on the track with all the different drums and cymbals.

Mahalo
I got help with that. Do like this:

Split the notes of a midi drum track to individual midi tracks representing the snare, tom, etc using the Reaper Action Explode MIDI note rows (pitch) to new items.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:10 AM   #5
drichard

IMO it is easier to have all of the MIDI data on a single track. The idea of trying to edit a beat pattern across multiple tracks seems daunting to me. For example, if I want to program a drum fill, I might need to work with snare, tom1, tom2, cymbals, etc. The idea that I need to edit four tracks (minimum) to do a simple fill seems way more work than keeping it all in one track.

Quote:

Mahalo
Old 01-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #6
toleolu

Tobbe: Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. Still never ceases to amaze me how Reaper is able to accommodate any off the wall kind of thing I can come up with.

Drichard: I see your point, I'll play around with it both ways and see which works best. Thing is though I am not a drummer and all I'm really looking to do is drag and drop the intros, grooves, and fills, and then just tweak them out a bit.

Finally, the midi editor in Reaper is AWESOME!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #7
drichard

There are times I do exactly what you described. But when I drag grooves, for me, editing on one track is much easier. Everyone works differently, obviously. I'm not a drummer either, but I have been programming long enough to be pretty good at laying down a drum track via MIDI.

Quote:
Tobbe: Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. Still never ceases to amaze me how Reaper is able to accommodate any off the wall kind of thing I can come up with.

Drichard: I see your point, I'll play around with it both ways and see which works best. Thing is though I am not a drummer and all I'm really looking to do is drag and drop the intros, grooves, and fills, and then just tweak them out a bit.

Finally, the midi editor in Reaper is AWESOME!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #8
toleolu

Well crap, exploding the midi to separate tracks works OK for editing, but now I can't apply any effects, volume, panning etc. on the individual tracks. I can use the MT Drum Kit mixer to adjust volume, panning, and compression on the individual tracks, but I can't apply any effects.

I tried sending the snare track to a new track to see if I could do anything with it there but no luck.

Is this the way it's suppose to work, or did I miss something?

UPDATE: The output for all the tracks in the mixer is Channel 1, if I change the output from the mixer to the appropriate track, then I get no sound out. I guess I could just use the mixer for what it does then apply effects on the main track. Do the volume, panning, and compression as needed in the mixer, then apply some EQ on the main track.

Mahalo

Last edited by toleolu; 01-15-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #9
domzy

if you want the audio on separate tracks you need to assign the drums to individual tracks in the drum's mixer and route to those tracks from your main track - either by adding sends or by using the automatic build routing option that pops up when you load the plug-in
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #10
Tod

Quote:
UPDATE: The output for all the tracks in the mixer is Channel 1, if I change the output from the mixer to the appropriate track, then I get no sound out. I guess I could just use the mixer for what it does then apply effects on the main track. Do the volume, panning, and compression as needed in the mixer, then apply some EQ on the main track.
Hi Mahalo, yeah like domzy says, if you assign the individual kit parts to separate track in "MT Drum's mixer" then when you load MT Drum's VST,
Reaper will ask you if you want to add the MT Drum's output tracks.

My way of dealing with editing drums is to just have just two different tracks, one for the drums and one for the cymbals. Since the drummer only
has 2 feet and 2 hands, the drums parts seldom overlap so it makes editing velocities very easy. Same with the cymbals, they seldom overlap.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:50 PM   #11
toleolu

Thanks to all for the great suggestions and tips, I'm still playing around with things but making progress.

Mahalo
Old 01-16-2019, 10:06 AM   #12
toleolu

So in case it proves helpful to future noobs such as myself, here's what I finally came up with.

All this started because I wanted to have the midi data for each drum cymbal etc from the drum kit appear on a separate track, thinking it would be easier to edit the midi data that way. (Which, in my opinion, it is, but that's just me.)

Dragging and dropping the intro's beats and fills that I wanted from the MT Drum Kit, to track 1, then going into "Actions" and exploding the midi notes to separate tracks did that for me, but left me with the problem of not being able to control volume and effects on those exploded tracks. Changing the output channels in the mixer didn't work for that, possibly because I was doing something wrong, but anyway, I ended up using the Drum Kit mixer to adjust volume, pan, and compress where needed, then applied some EQ on track 1.

I'm sure there are better ways to do this, but it works OK for me. But then again, I'm just an old retired fart, sitting in my man cave, doing all this for my own personal enjoyment.

Mahalo's to all.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #13
drichard

This might be a better solution.

1.Set up the drum kit VI to use multiple outputs. Use a single instance of MT Power Drum
2.Paste the MIDI into the first track, then explode it
3. Select the outputs in the MT mixer to correspond to the now separated MIDI tracks.
4. Set up a MIDI send from each separate track back to the main MT track.

You now have audio appearing on separate tracks by using multiple outputs. You also have MIDI info for the drum on the same track. The drum VI gets all the MIDI info via the sends.

I still think that in time you will revert back to using a single MIDI track, but this will allow you to do it how you want.

Quote:
So in case it proves helpful to future noobs such as myself, here's what I finally came up with.

All this started because I wanted to have the midi data for each drum cymbal etc from the drum kit appear on a separate track, thinking it would be easier to edit the midi data that way. (Which, in my opinion, it is, but that's just me.)

Dragging and dropping the intro's beats and fills that I wanted from the MT Drum Kit, to track 1, then going into "Actions" and exploding the midi notes to separate tracks did that for me, but left me with the problem of not being able to control volume and effects on those exploded tracks. Changing the output channels in the mixer didn't work for that, possibly because I was doing something wrong, but anyway, I ended up using the Drum Kit mixer to adjust volume, pan, and compress where needed, then applied some EQ on track 1.

I'm sure there are better ways to do this, but it works OK for me. But then again, I'm just an old retired fart, sitting in my man cave, doing all this for my own personal enjoyment.

Mahalo's to all.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:54 PM   #14
toleolu

Thanks, that kinda worked. But I ended up with 14 tracks, tracks 2-6 after exploding the midi and tracks 7-14 the original multiple tracks that were created when I opened the drum kit and selected YES to creating multiple outputs.

Also, the send from the exploded track(s) to track 1 doesn't do anything. When I change the output in the mixer to the corresponding exploded track, it starts playing through one of the original multi tracks i.e. track 2 is my exploded kick track, when I change the output channel for the kick in the mixer to channel 2 it shows up on track 8 as well. Same thing applies to all the other tracks. Changing the output to their appropriate exploded track routes it to one of the original multi tracks.

I can use all the features in the multi tracks, volume, effects etc. so that's working, and I've got midi data on the exploded tracks for editing, so that's working, but to be honest, 14 tracks for doing this seems like a bit much.

Did I miss something, or do something wrong?