Old 01-14-2019, 01:06 AM   #1
Knob Twiddler
Human being with feelings

Default Setup for DirectEMX in Reaper

Hi guys,

I use a midi editor in Reaper to control my Korg EMX 1. The name is direct EMX
(https://www.directsynth.com/catalog/) and I have some troubles setting it up. The developer is not reacting on my emails so I decided to give it a try here.

The plugin loads fine in Reaper 5.96 on windows7. There are 2 different modes to connect with the EMX:
Both modes do not mention Reaper in their compatibilitylist here: http://directsynth.com/catalog/directsynth_support.php

Hostmode demands to enable your midi device in your DAW and connect the midi out of a track to the EMX .but as soon as I load the plugin on a midi track, it stops producing sound and the knobs do not move in the plugin when I turn them on EMX or visaversa. So I assume that mode just doesn't work. Anyways, in the manual there is a reference for this mode in Reaper

How to use with Reaper in hostmode: (1/2)
1. In Options->Preferences, then in MIDI Devices, check that the device connected to the EMX
("multiface" in my case) is "Enabled+Control" (for midi in) and "Enabled" (for midi out).
2. Track->Insert virtual Instrument on new track. Then select DirectEMX. In DirecEMX click on
« Host » to change midi mode
How to use with Reaper in hostmode: (2/2)
3. In the new track click on the small "io" button, then select your midi device in "Hardware output"
4. Select Synth1 part on both the EMX and DirectEMX, if you turn a knob on the EMX you should see it moving in
DirectEMX. Then in DirectEMX change the filter type, you should see the led changing on the EMX

Directmidi mode demands disabling the midi in and output in your DAW so that the editor can use those connections on it's own. And this mode works great. All the dump and send buttons are working and all the knobs and sliders trigger the EMX and visaversa.

Now I would like to use Reaper as a sequencer for the EMX. All drumsounds are on Midi channel 10 and the 5 synthparts use midichannel 1 to 5.

So when I make a miditrack and drop some notes there, they are send to synthpart1.
But I can't figure out how I can trigger synthpart2 or the drums on channel 10.

Normal configuration would be the midi out window and send a midi out on a certain channel to the midi device but because the device is disabled in Reaper for the software purposes, I cannot select it.

I am aware that I can change the midi channels on the EMX but that is not an option because I would like different tracks in my DAW.

Is there anybody outthere that knows where I am speaking about and can help me out?

One of the things I tried was going to the note properties in Reaper and change the midichannel for separate notes but that just doesn't work...another was trying the JS plugin for routing notes to a midi channel and that also did not work.

Thanx in advance,

Jan

Last edited by Knob Twiddler; 01-14-2019 at 01:24 AM.
Knob Twiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #2
Knob Twiddler
Human being with feelings

Got it working
The directmidi mode is doing the dumps and resends and the parameter editing and automation but you can only sequense on one track.

In host mode you can do the same except for the dumps and resends but in hostmode you can make extra tracks with midi outs to the corresponding channels in Reaper.
To make hostmode work you have to choose the midi interface as a midi in and in the routing-window you have to choose the midi inface as a midi out (all channels).
The other tracks need no plugin, only a midi out routing with the corresponding midi channel.

Knob Twiddler is offline   Reply With Quote