Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
mnmwert
Human being with feelings

Default Some midi notes won't render

Hi,
I use EWQLSO Gold, and something I noticed is that in a song I have been working on, some of the notes won't render.

The song is here:
https://soundcloud.com/micah-miller-...ou-ewqlso-gold

You can tell towards the middle of the song when the strings have the melody they won't render. Not sure what the problem is. I checked the events box and everything is on channel 1.
Windows 10 pro/Dell Precision M4800/Intel I7 cpu (4 cores 8 Threads) 2.7 Ghz/16 gigs RAM (DDR3)/500 gigs SSD/Realtek Audio Driver/Intel HD graphics 4800/nVidia Quadro K1100M/Musescore/Reaper5/VSCO2 CE/ EWQLSO
mnmwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
domzy

you say they won't render, but do they sound when you just play the tune?
Do those notes sound if you trigger them from the piano roll, manually?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
mnmwert

they will play if I click on them yes, but if I try to play the whole song through, or render it than they won't play. It is also always the same section of the song each time.
Windows 10 pro/Dell Precision M4800/Intel I7 cpu (4 cores 8 Threads) 2.7 Ghz/16 gigs RAM (DDR3)/500 gigs SSD/Realtek Audio Driver/Intel HD graphics 4800/nVidia Quadro K1100M/Musescore/Reaper5/VSCO2 CE/ EWQLSO
Old 01-17-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
domzy

have you checked volume / expression automation / CCs for that part of the song? Also, make sure they are not transposed / out of range & make sure you're not exceeding any polyphony limits. These are just a few suggestions off the top of my head, i'm sure there could be other potential causes.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:15 PM   #5
mnmwert

Do you mean Volume CC 7? It should be fine I hadn't messed around with it at all in that section but just to test I put it all the way up and the notes still wouldn't play.

As for expression I haven't used that in this song, I've just been messing with Volume Velocity and Pitch.

I shouldn't be exceeding any polyphony limits because I am putting each part on a separate track, and the notes that aren't playing are just single notes.

I know for sure that the notes aren't out of range, and there shouldn't be any problems with transposition. If I want to transpose something I normally just select all the midi notes (except for the expression changes) and shift them where I want them to go.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #6
mnmwert

I've noticed that If I select a track that is having difficulties, than it won't have any problems, but the other tracks that have the problem will still do it.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:07 AM   #7
mnmwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
have you checked volume / expression automation / CCs for that part of the song? Also, make sure they are not transposed / out of range & make sure you're not exceeding any polyphony limits. These are just a few suggestions off the top of my head, i'm sure there could be other potential causes.
Would it help at all if I recorded a video of the section so you can see what I mean?
Old 01-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #8
DarkStar

Check the MIDI Channel of those problem notes (MIDI Editor/ View Mode: Event List).

Perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file (no audio samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so that we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?

How to post attachments (in Post #1)
Old 01-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #9
mnmwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Check the MIDI Channel of those problem notes (MIDI Editor/ View Mode: Event List).

Perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file (no audio samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so that we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?

They are all on channel 1. I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by attaching a ZIP file, but as I said before If I highlight the track midi or select the vst from the fx window it works just fine.

Anyway until I can figure out how to get the ZIP file to you here is the recording:
https://youtu.be/kPEDANKzLxY
The video is unlisted.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #10
mnmwert

Quote:

I tried zipping the entire project to send you but the file size exceeded the 1.7 MB limit....
Old 01-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #11
ErBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmwert View Post
I tried zipping the entire project to send you but the file size exceeded the 1.7 MB limit....
Put it on a free file hosting site and post the URL.
ErBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:54 PM   #12
mnmwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBird View Post
I will do that, but is there any way to send you the link privately? I don't want just anyone to be able to download the file.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #13
mnmwert

Quote:
Just sent you a private message, hopefully you got it?
Old 01-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #14
ErBird

Quote:
Just sent you a private message, hopefully you got it?
I did. I'll pull it up a little later and see if I can figure out what's going wrong.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #15
mnmwert

Quote:
I did. I'll pull it up a little later and see if I can figure out what's going wrong.
Okay, Thanks for helping out!
Old 01-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #16
ErBird

I checked your project and, honestly, nothing looks abnormal. I wonder if you're hitting some shared polyphony limit or memory limit. Are you using 64-bit Reaper and plugins? Also related to this:

Quote:
I've noticed that If I select a track that is having difficulties, than it won't have any problems, but the other tracks that have the problem will still do it.
In the Reaper buffering preferences there is an option to "disable media buffering for tracks that are selected". Is that selected? May be a clue.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:32 AM   #17
DarkStar

Hmm, 31 instances of Play, VST3i

-- on what bars does the problem occur?
-- does it occur if you playback the song (not rendering it)?
-- and if you Freeze the problem track(s)?
-- is there a VSTi edition of Play that you can try?
-- can you try, say, ReaSynth instead of Play, on a problem track?
Old 01-19-2019, 09:03 AM   #18
mnmwert

Quote:
I checked your project and, honestly, nothing looks abnormal. I wonder if you're hitting some shared polyphony limit or memory limit. Are you using 64-bit Reaper and plugins? Also related to this:

In the Reaper buffering preferences there is an option to "disable media buffering for tracks that are selected". Is that selected? May be a clue.
I am using 64 bit reaper. I shouldn't be hitting any polyphone limits because I am using a separate instance of Play for each track. Play should be 64 bit as well.

I checked the settings, and "disable media buffering for tracks that are selected" is turned off. I now realize what I meant to say, was if I opened the midi editor for the track, not selecting it. The box for "disable media buffering" for the case of opening the midi editor was turned on.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:17 AM   #19
mnmwert

Quote:

1) There are multiple small instances throughout the song but are hardly noticeable. The main issue I am having is between bars 100 and 116.
2) Yes it occurs both during playback and rendering.
3) Freezing tracks fixing the problem! This makes me very happy! Am wondering though if we could try and figure out a way to make it work on midi, or at least why it is not working on midi.
4) Not that I'm aware of, or at least I don't have it. If there is one I'd have to download another version of play, and the registration I have for EWQLSO only came with one version.
5) I'll try this one out later, it looks like a fix came somewhere from no. 3
Old 01-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #20
mnmwert

Quote:

https://soundcloud.com/micah-miller-.../i-am-with-you

Here is the song without any problems! Thanks so much for the help!
Old 01-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #21
DarkStar

Good oh!

It sounds like a CPU issue to me.

Instead of one instance of Play per track perhaps yo could restructure the project:
-- move the tracks out of the folders, remove Play from those tracks
-- instead Send them to the "folder" track, setting the MIDI channel in the Sends
-- put Play on each "folder" track, before any other FX, load several instruments onto the different MIDI channels,

-- remove Play from the Piano and Harp tracks
-- send them to a new track with Play on it, with the 2 instruments loaded.

Here is a pic, using SampleTank 3 instead of Play:
>>> https://i.imgur.com/m6cyR3P.png

I adjust the levels of the individual instruments within SampleTank. Or you could generate the separate output tracks for each SampleTank/Play track and route the audio streams from the plug-in to those tracks.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:52 AM   #22
mnmwert

Quote:
Good oh!

It sounds like a CPU issue to me.

Instead of one instance of Play per track perhaps yo could restructure the project:
-- move the tracks out of the folders, remove Play from those tracks
-- instead Send them to the "folder" track, setting the MIDI channel in the Sends
-- put Play on each "folder" track, before any other FX, load several instruments onto the different MIDI channels,

-- remove Play from the Piano and Harp tracks
-- send them to a new track with Play on it, with the 2 instruments loaded.

Here is a pic, using SampleTank 3 instead of Play:
>>> https://i.imgur.com/m6cyR3P.png

I adjust the levels of the individual instruments within SampleTank. Or you could generate the separate output tracks for each SampleTank/Play track and route the audio streams from the plug-in to those tracks.
Okay, It would make sense that it is a cpu issue.
Thing is though I had thought of that before, and opened task manager with the cpu while it was playing and it only was around 30-50 percent. Using this method it is now hovering around 22 percent. Am wondering if there is any setting on reaper that limits cpu usage?

btw the picture doesn't work.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #23
DarkStar

Picture works fine here
Old 01-19-2019, 11:10 AM   #24
mnmwert

Quote:
Picture works fine here
I'm getting the error:
This site can’t be reached i.imgur.com unexpectedly closed the connection.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:12 PM   #25
domzy

Quote:
Okay, It would make sense that it is a cpu issue.
Thing is though I had thought of that before, and opened task manager with the cpu while it was playing and it only was around 30-50 percent. Using this method it is now hovering around 22 percent. Am wondering if there is any setting on reaper that limits cpu usage?
could be maxing out one of the cores - it doesn't necessarily spread the load evenly

edit:- but if it was a cpu issue, wouldn't it still be able to render, it would just take longer?

Last edited by domzy; 01-19-2019 at 07:43 PM. Reason: had a thought
Old 01-20-2019, 05:42 PM   #26
mnmwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
could be maxing out one of the cores - it doesn't necessarily spread the load evenly

edit:- but if it was a cpu issue, wouldn't it still be able to render, it would just take longer?
You know, I really have no idea, I don't know that much about the way a cpu works to be able to say unfortunately.

I'll have to research though if there is a way to try to spread the load more evenly on the cores.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:00 PM   #27
domzy

my understanding is that an 8-core machine has 12.5% for each core, of the 100% CPU load total, so it would still be possible to max out at 22% if one of the cores is particularly busy. I believe that having a sub-master track & not having plugins on the master track can help with this, but i don't know any other tips.